Sign in to follow this  
chammy

Yet another ArmA sound modification

Quote[/b] ]now what? are those distant sounds ambience or are they a result of the sound mod. since those sounds impressed me the most of all .Nevertheless great work. can't wait for it to be released

Ambience, that's what Chammy told me, Arma can not handle distant sounds like that.

If this is true then this mod would be a big disappointment.

^W00t? crazy_o.gif

Even though I actually believed that those Distance sounds were a part of the ingame Sounds and not Ambience "Trigger", I'm still looking forward to this.

Because alot of the sounds are simply great. The BMP-2 when fireing it's 30mm Cannon on rapid fire, and the Echo effect comes after. Just beautiful! biggrin_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Don't judge the mod just by the (somewhat) staged video. There was a request for a video, Chammy made one, as many directors, he retouched some aspects, ArmA could not handle correctly.

But the work in all the sounds is immense. I know what I am talking about. Chammy's sound mod would be perfect for non-plasying videos, because it's like watching combat footage on TV.

You say that Distant muffled sounds is not possible in the ARMA engine in its current state, however i remember strongly that in OFP someone did indeed make a sound pack that added these sounds and it sounded simply amazing.

I can only describe to you what it looked like and hope that you have seen it too.

The player is on a hill at dusk, a hecopter goes bye and this demonstrated the sound of it, then a battle rages in the valley below, you can see the explosions and hear the low trembling boom from hish explosives and gunshot.

Woah there, dont judge it till its released my friend. Atleast review it before making those kind of statements.

The FDF sound pack is great, and that just consists of 'normal' noises. So i'm looking forward to anything that can go toe-to-toe with that sound mod.

I'd just like to point out again that the echos are what is turning me off to this mod. (the actual echo sound you hear when you fire, not the ambience noise from the video). Usually when you are firing a gun you won't notice any echo unless the surrounding environment traps the sound correctly. Even in city fights the shots don't normally echo like you hear from the clips.

Echoing is caused by the soundwaves refracting off objects and returning to the ear. In the videos you are out in fields and when you fire you can hear an echo even though there is nothing that would realistically refract the soundwaves of your gun.

It's something that just really bugs me and I know we need a great sound engine to be able to produce that sort of stuff, but untill then I prefer weapons with limited to no echo at all.

Hello all, reporting in,

My best guesstimation would be by this Monday, I need to quit trying to toy with the config file. Though, I wanted to correct alot of the sound assignments that are in ArmA because , like I'd said earlier, that ArmA has so many sound wavs and they arent all used, except that I noticed that , when in a fire fight with OpFor AI, when at a certain distance another AK74 Burst is triggered, a Burst and its a different sound file. This is another reason I have taken so long on this , to make sure all sounds are in unison with each other in case the game decides to use another sound other than the assigned one, I have like almost every weapon has its own sound and echo, not all M16's and M4's or AK's echos or sounds are the same. I wouldve done that for the explosions but since the game will not use them all I left some alone that sounded good the way they were. Though, later, I will experiment with the config and try to make a stand alone that assigns the sounds to the right events and weapons, I wanted to fix the Mine as it does not have a sound, ALTHOUGH, its not triggered when a tank runs over the mine or remotely detonated for some odd reason. I checked to make sure the config even has it classified and it does.

Since everyone is rooting for this to come out already, I will make a separate pack of combat ambience and chatter, though I found some good ambience online from other games but I used my own hehheh, I gues I just want to be different.

Wow, I havent read most the posts here the past week, thank you all for the support and patience and suggestions, and yes, the ambience was thrown in by a little editing in the movie maker to show what is capable in this mod, plus, to spice up the clip a little, coupled with some real combat ambience and chatterr it all matches, and someone added that if the distance muffled sound is there, yes it is, the game handles that. Yes, it is possible to add these aspects in, via scripting.

The echo effect, is there to add some life to the weapons, yes, it is apparent that there is very little reflection surfaces, YET, there are buildings, and few trees, still are reflective surfaces. Yes, it is true at times you will not hear and echo, but remmeber, most missions are carried out at night or at dawn, and or dusk, those times you will hear more echo due to the elements during that time, though, even during high noon you can still hear some echo though its much more subtle, even in flat land you can hear the wash of the echo rolling over the land. There might be a way of switching weapons on players and AI with a script, though i havent tried, but there has to be away, AI or player steps into a zone or trigger in a city = m16a2 changes to m16a4 which has another sound , like a city echo, player or AI = steps out and weapon changes, but, there would probably be some lag or perfomance lag with the event hadlers. Same with others.

Quote[/b] ]coupled with some real combat ambience and chatterr it all matches, and someone added that if the distance muffled sound is there, yes it is, the game handles that. Yes, it is possible to add these aspects in, via scripting.

Oh thats fantastic news! well take all the time you need buddy, i and im very sure Many members of the community will be very glad to hear all this recent news.

Keep it up and will look forward to the release!

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifthumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gif

Cant wait till monday biggrin_o.gif 1.08 + a sexy sound mod biggrin_o.gif

Great biggrin_o.gif

It's something that just really bugs me and I know we need a great sound engine to be able to produce that sort of stuff, but untill then I prefer weapons with limited to no echo at all.

I know what, I'll make a separate one just for you Smother, all weapons will just have that quick executed sound you'd hear,seriously, I have so many sound effects I've made, it'd be a shame not to use them all, PM and I can send you a different version ..........of course, if you want. Or i may just make several versions, I am though, will make a city type one for the Urban Combat CQC fanatics, but I 'd have to throw in regular sounds also aside from the echoey of the city.

Quote[/b] ]now what? are those distant sounds ambience or are they a result of the sound mod. since those sounds impressed me the most of all .Nevertheless great work. can't wait for it to be released

Ambience, that's what Chammy told me, Arma can not handle distant sounds like that.

I apologise if my video clip had miss lead anyone here, the ambience can be reproduced in the game with proper scripting so still it is possible, I shouldve stated that I had spiced up the video, thats the only extra thing I put into it, was the ambience and chatter, everything else you hear is all in the mod, I am also redoing the vehicles , the air craft, well jets, and the radio squelches. I was going to redo the radio voices, ( I can ) but thats thousands of voices to change into a more radio like sound.

You could add the radio sounds as an ambience sound, in the triggers of the editor, which should work AFAIK smile_o.gif

hi there guys, excellent work you put in chammy. i was wondering if this soundmod is the same as the one predator is making?

Hmm... guess it's not released today after all? wow_o.gif

Ah well, good things come to those who wait.

Nice1 chammy in the video the game sounds great!!

The one thing that stuck out to me in your video is that horrible low quality crack, sounds like a silenced pistol, is gone when weapons are fired at a distance, is that been fixed in your mod? or did you just edit it out for the video?

Please reply, cheers biggrin_o.gif

Having those distance-sounds and the radio chatter as ambient sounds would be amazing!.

Also, will this be standalone and only change sounds? or will it change weapon properties like predators soundpack?

The one thing that stuck out to me in your video is that horrible low quality crack, sounds like a silenced pistol, is gone when weapons are fired at a distance, is that been fixed in your mod? or did you just edit it out for the video?

i'm not quite sure what you mean, im sorry.

Well, I'm finnishing up now as you read this,I did promise it out today, I had to go through the vehicles again.

So far it is not a standalone , it will just replace all sound effects, until I get more familiar with the config file.

i'm not quite sure what you mean, im sorry.

Well, I'm finnishing up now as you read this,I did promise it out today, I had to go through the vehicles again.

So far it is not a standalone , it will just replace all sound effects, until I get more familiar with the config file.

What about ambience-sounds, does it include them? smile_o.gif (otherwise you could probably add some easily aftewards smile_o.gif)

This feels a bit like christmas! biggrin_o.gif I really look forward to these sounds.

Wow.  This sound mod and the patch released in on the same day.  Amazing! Going to be a great week.

Yeah. Ambience Sounds "Trigger" would have been great too have included in the Mod. biggrin_o.gif

Anyway keep up the good work, C. smile_o.gif

Its now 6pm where Im at, I have 20+ people waiting for your soundpack to be installed so we can kick off the new patch and your amazing sounds in style, but wheres the sounds?

sad_o.gif