Sign in to follow this  
churnedfortaste

New sniper system?

Not exactly.

What you should say is that YOU don't know how to do. You are the one who doesn't know how the game works by the crap you talk.

Go play with your dolls now, OK, leave the sniping thing to others who actually SNIPE!

amrax WL+1 for flamebaiting. If you can't contribute in a reasonable manner then don't contribute.

Quote[/b] ]And you yourself have what knowledge of the engine? ZERO

And you come here, affirming it's easy to do and only BI being lazy.

You have zero clue about it. Zero, nada, NIL. You can insult people, call them "kids" and such all you want. You still don't know anything about how difficult it is to implement.

How is that hard to accept?

How would you know whether it is possible to add those options when you don't even know what they MEAN!

All you do is babble about your own Insufficiencies of coding. Its real simple actually but you can't understand just “thatâ€!

Quote[/b] ]I'm eagerly awaiting your personal mod, because quite frankly I think BIS would probably screw your ideas up

I bet they would too!

Quote[/b] ]So instead of repeating yourself, bring something to the table, maybe some credentials?

Did you read a few of my first posts? I take decent ratio hits at 600m+.

What would you want?

“Bring something to the table?†Can you read!

Getting a modera because you can't prove a valid point, how sad!

Quote[/b] ]And having sights that are adjustible for range won't benefit snipers anyway. Snipers use the mil dots to estimate the distance of an enemy in the field.

Dear Severely Confused,

Yes, snipers can use the mildots to range the target, but then they can (and often) adjust their sight elevation to the range they found out in order to adjust their sights.

And I still see people complaining that "Oh gee, now sniping is going to take 10 minutes a shot and require a pocket calculator." These people just don't get it.

Quote[/b] ]And you yourself have what knowledge of the engine? ZERO

And you come here, affirming it's easy to do and only BI being lazy.

You have zero clue about it. Zero, nada, NIL. You can insult people, call them "kids" and such all you want. You still don't know anything about how difficult it is to implement.

How is that hard to accept?

How would you know whether it is possible to add those options when you don't even know what they MEAN!

Where did you get this funky idea?

AFAIK, currently, the sight position is set through a selection in the P3D file of the weapon. What you ask is that this selection should be mobile, as well as some part of the actual P3D 3D layer (the sight parts).

The simple fact to make the "aim selection" mobile is not in the engine and requires recoding.

Changing this selection position (which is what they did when they changed SDV zero point) can be done curently, by any1 having the tools (mainly, Oxygen for ArmA).

Making it mobile cannot be done in the same way, it's absolutely not in the same league.

Or maybe you know something more?

All you do is babble about your own Insufficiencies of coding.

school projects do not put you in a position to spout on the complexitys of anouther code base.

my argument was to the pointlessness of such an addition, and i believe whisper's was to the complexity and lack of need for such an addition, but since your picking holes in the code related part of it i'd actually hazard a guess that he is right (it being a large job to add to the engine, i mean).

im sure it has no bearing on this topic or post, but im sure your going to mention it, so in advance, im a programmer by profession.

I don't see why people are angrily insulting others over the INTARNETZ over something that can be discussed calmly...

Anywho, I see now that adjustable sights would be ideal but if we were to have wind that would probably complicate matters but maybe it would be decent for a toggleable option for the server?

Although humidity, height above sea level or anything like that would be crossing the line to the point where the game's playability is questionable.

I see a lot of people like the idea of changes to sights, I really would like to see all small arms in game that in RL would have adjustable sights, have adjustable sights in game.

I seem to remember when having a look at an AK-47, which I think has identical sights to the AK-74, had flip up range sights on them, I'm not sure how they are used but maybe some experts like Dslyecxi could explain to me what they are for.

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]school projects

WTF?

Quote[/b] ]Changing this selection position (which is what they did when they changed SDV zero point) can be done curently

But finding a way for you to change it, ANY way of your choice is too difficult. You can't find a simple way?

Find any way of your own choice since you are so good at it and all, can you do that?!

I was actually talking about the temperature, humidity etc etc... but whatever!

Quote[/b] ]lack of need for such an addition

TRY OUT THE SNIPER BEFORE YOU POST BS. Have either of you actually TRIED the sniper yet?

Quote[/b] ]bring something to the table

So far you haven't come up with any ideas worth anything so don't tell me to “bring it to the tableâ€! And most of the stuff you write is OFF base.

Quote[/b] ]How would you know whether it is possible to add those options when you don't even know what they MEAN!

All you do is babble about your own Insufficiencies of coding. Its real simple actually but you can't understand just “thatâ€!

And how would you know? We haven't seen a speck of proof from you yet. Until you do so, please stop insulting other members who have enough expirence to judge what can and can't be done.

Quote[/b] ]Did you read a few of my first posts? I take decent ratio hits at 600m+.

What would you want?

“Bring something to the table?†Can you read!

Getting a modera because you can't prove a valid point, how sad!

So you can snipe in ArmA. Since when does game skill portray your real life skill? When you have some other proof that you are an actual qualified sniper besides your word, then we'll be more inclined to believe you.

You are acting very childish and with a "better than thou" attitude and then you call people kids. Right...

Quote[/b] ]Changing this selection position (which is what they did when they changed SDV zero point) can be done curently

But finding a way for you to change it, ANY way of your choice is too difficult. You can't find a simple way?

Find any way of your own choice since you are so good at it and all, can you do that?!

Meh. Search for my very first contribution to the "sniping" topic. We were actually talking about exactly this. Before you bullied in and called us all stupid kids, ofc.

But you're right, we were talking about implementing wind and such, not the adjustable sights, as pretty much everyone agrees it would be a great addition.

A great addition which would still be difficult to implement. Before even entering the other topics.

For me adjustable sights are enough, if BI want to dig more into ballistic realism, I think they should watch toward vehicles and aircraft a bit, before.

agreed, i mean taking the subject of wind alone, if you want to actually do a good job of simulating it its *very* hard to do correctly.

adjustable sights would be ok i think. then your hardcore snipers could have something to play with while everyone else just sticks their tounge out and aims up the familiar 2 to 3 dots. tbh that nearly always nails someone within 2 shots anyhow.

IMO, there's no need for over-complication like less winds behind obstacles, different elevations etc. Taking wind into account could simply be a single vector addition per cycle per flying projectile more, which is not much, and it could be a difficulty option.

There's already wind in the game that affects particle effects and parachutes. Wind could even be added by a mod using "fired" evenhandlers, if you can use setvelocity on bullets. But a hard-coded solution would be more efficient and accurate on low-fps (I presume the engine runs physics cycles at a set rate which is not affected by low fps unlike scripts. Although, tanks launching into orbit etc might suggest otherwise).

I'd prefer it to be implemented into the game officially rather than a mod or an addon because servers that use addons and specifically an adjustable sight addon (hypothetically speaking) would be hard to come by.

I wanna see adjustable sights! biggrin_o.gif

I think ArmA needs more accurate bullet drop and more deviation from wind before this happens. Shooting in ArmA always strikes me as too accurate. It's hard to shoot that well in real life! smile_o.gif

Lively thread wow_o.gif

I think adjustable sights would be a good edition, more than that then may come out in a mod, if it's possible to do so once all the tools are here.

Would it even be possible to make a mod for this, and have it done properly?

It would be better to have it put in officially to get all the values right e.t.c yay.gifyay.gif

Would it even be possible to make a mod for this, and have it done properly?

It would be better to have it put in officially to get all the values right e.t.c yay.gifyay.gif

Edit: sorry for double post dunno why that happened :S

Given that 8 out of 10 responders like the idea, I wonder

if BIS are now considering it? Assuming, for the sake of

argument, that they are going to enhance the sights

(telescopic as well as iron) to have adjustable elevation

how would one like this to actually manifest itself in the

game? How should the adjustment be controlled?

Given that 8 out of 10 responders like the idea, I wonder

if BIS are now considering it? Assuming, for the sake of

argument, that they are going to enhance the sights

(telescopic as well as iron) to have adjustable elevation

how would one like this to actually manifest itself in the

game? How should the adjustment be controlled?

Maybe it could be a server option? Or something that comes with difficulty?

But, come to think about it, If we were to have adjustable elevation and windage on sights, It would suit to have adjustable elevation permanent, but wind affecting ballistics a toggleable option for servers.

Dear Severely Confused,

Yes, snipers can use the mildots to range the target, but then they can (and often) adjust their sight elevation to the range they found out in order to adjust their sights.

And I still see people complaining that "Oh gee, now sniping is going to take 10 minutes a shot and require a pocket calculator." These people just don't get it.

Dear Armchair Soldier,

Only in rare situations will a circumstance present its self that allows the sniper enough time to manually adjust the range of his sight.

Apparently, YOU don't get it.  One of the reasons scopes have mil dots on the reticle is because ranging the target, adjusting the scope and then reassuming your position takes too long.  You adjust your scope to the range you reckon the enemies will appear beforehand, and then you use the mildots to make any neccessary adjustments.  You rarely find a target, range it, and then adjust your scope.

And Amrax, your ideas are lovely, and so is your comparison to Sniper Elite, but you need to remember that Sniper Elite is a sniper game, and Arma is a war game.  I don't know if you've noticed, but there are tanks and helicopters that need to conform to a certain level of realism as well (not to mention the game is called Armed Assault, which implies something more balanced than sniping alone).  There are things that need fixing much more urgently than the sniping realism.

And since Sniper Elite is apparently the benchmark in realism, why does it take 2-3 centre of mass body shots to kill an enemy?

EDIT: I should point out for veracity that I agreed with having range adjustments for the scope.  Nor did I mean to say snipers NEVER adjust their scopes in the field, just that they don't do it as much as some would have us believe (just making it clear so my head isnt bitten off by an armchair sniping zealot).

for me the role of "snipers" in both OFP and ArmA are more like a designated marksman, but yes, it is needed to have a better sniper system, but not to a point that to mess up the general gameplay,

just my $0.02

Bis the mojarity said yes so please include this in 1.06 or 1.07

based upon the changelog for 1.06 being rammed with fixes, and the (assumption) that it'll take a fair bit to introduce, i'd be suprised to see this anytime soon. if at all.

for me the role of "snipers" in both OFP and ArmA are more like a designated marksman, but yes, it is needed to have a better sniper system, but not to a point that to mess up the general gameplay

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Designated marksman: M24, M4SPR. No need to adjust the scope

Long range sniper: all rifles, and please, we need that elevation adjust !!

Quote[/b] ]Before you bullied in and called us all stupid kids, ofc.

Don't blame me, you want me to lie to you? I'm not the one putting out wrong information over and over again!

Quote[/b] ]And how would you know? We haven't seen a speck of proof from you yet. Until you do so, please stop insulting other members who have enough expirence to judge what can and can't be done.

You miss the point as always!

Quote[/b] ]How should the adjustment be controlled?

Like I said with 4 buttons so far not in use.

The windage problem is EASY to solve, a simple script would do!

Quote[/b] ]Only in rare situations will a circumstance present its self that allows the sniper enough time to manually adjust the range of his sight

ROFL OMG, good one good one!

Quote[/b] ]There are things that need fixing much more urgently than the sniping realism.

Certainly more things need fixing, but this is by FAR the simplest.

You know what, I got a new idea: Why not input “smart bullets†as new ammu for the sniper, that would be sweet now wouldn't it?! smile_o.gif And simple to input!

And please think before someone babbles about it being impossible, because there are guided missiles too!