Sign in to follow this  
Heatseeker

The weapons thread.

Im having a hard time here, i find the handling, recoil and dispersion exagerated in most assault rifles.

I was trying the M16 in burst mode prone from a hill top and i was hitting the ground in front of me confused_o.gif .

The M4/ M16 with ACOG and AK with PSO are very inacurate even in single fire mode, they feel like JAM HD.

The recoil is odd, it seems to push the rifles down.

Its hard to hit a target twice, no matter the stance you have to adjust your aim alot after every shot, i completely loose my target after every shot.

The bullets seem very... slow confused_o.gif . Maybe its the clumsy 3d sights or a combination of both but to hit a moving target i have to lead alot, even the M107 cannon seems rather slow.

The AKS74U and AKS74UN are almost useless to me in a situation other than CQB, i'd rather try to aproach my target and throw a frag at him or use a handgun. The supressed M4 doesnt feel wright but i cant really point out what it is.

The M249 and M240 are the real killing machines, they are the most efective Arma weapons since they dont kick (in prone position) and we dont have to slowly line up the sights to target after every single shot. You have full auto mode with a high fire rate so you can easily lead and shoot a moving target, large ammo capacity and very little recoil, i can mow a moving squad with it in few seconds. With an M4 or M16 i might hit a couple targets twice in few seconds, chances of survial are small lol.

Im only doing SP and editor, im having a hard time handling the assault rifles while the a.i. shoots at me from 500M with AK's and PK's, while standing up. Im playing in veteran mode with the crosshair turned off, 1.05 version.

For the record:

This is just a personal opinion, maybe i need to get used to it more but im having a hard time so far.

personally i really love the infantry weapons. i think they are spot on in 1.05.

one tip is adjusting the AI accuracy which is different than it's skill. so lower AI accuracy and up the skill for nice fun fights. the settings are self explanatory in your config file under your arma folder in the my documents folder on your computer.

I can understand your frustration as its similar to the feeling I had when I first played the game and was continuously being shot at 500m by ironsight AK's.

over time I just learnt to handle the weapons, learn how the recoil affected them and how to aim - the same thing I did with OFP. It just takes time, and I think its far better than OFP where after each shot your sight would more or less return to the same place, something that really shouldn't happen.

Yep, im trying but cant really brag about success tounge2.gif .

It just feels hard to put two on a target 100M away, in less than 5 seconds, prone. Im not saying its wrong or asking for changes here, just like to know others opinions, so far i grab a MG everytime i can, in OPF it was the other way around.

The weapons in ArmA are much harder to handle than in OFP. It makes shootouts longer, no longer simply a point-and-click wink_o.gif . It does get frustrating, but the AI also seems less accurate in ArmA when shooting at you from a distance. Sometimes you can run to cover while under fire - you have a much greater chance of surviving that than you did in OFP.

Also, for distance shots you must make use of the hold breath key. It does make the weapon a bit more stable.

I agree with Heatseeker!

This recoil exagerating is crap.

some love these recoils, it reminds me FDF recoil. I hated it.

Its impossible to fire 2 shots 1 after the other (fast) without hiting near the target. The Aim takes "too much time" to get the center for the next shot. About this subject i think OFP was/is much better.

my opinion is that Ak ironsight should be little bit bigger... now its hard to aim with ak`s ironsight, ak ironsight should be like M16 ironsight smile_o.gif

I just feel that the diference betwean shooting in the prone, kneeling and standing positions should be more noticeable on the assault rifles.

How it is theres no need to have AR's in Arma, you only need MG's and sniper rifles, really confused_o.gif .

my opinion is that Ak ironsight should be little bit bigger... now its hard to aim with ak`s ironsight, ak ironsight should be like M16 ironsight smile_o.gif

AK's (unlike M16's) have their sights like that but they should have made them a little bigger like the PK ones, its almost impossible to lead a moving target with the AK.

I also would like to add that AK's (east weapons) are more precise then the m16 (west weapons) in ARMA. dont know why.!? huh.gif

Also think its quite annoying the fact that "dot position" you aim is not where the <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>bullets will hit</span>. (even if we have no wind present)

try to fire a m9.. you will see where the bullets will hit.. its like <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>random destination.</span> Same thing happens to weapons.

I already fired real weapons and at 100m the bullet do NOT miss the aimed target. In ARMA they do. I do NOT understand why.. confused_o.gif

PS- and don't give me that wind effect bull crap.. <span style='color:red'>they just need to be fixed, thats all.</span>

The FDF recoil is much easier to handle than what we have in ArmA right now.

I think it's ridiculous that MGs are easier to handle in prone than assault rifles. Even in close combat I have to shoot about 3 times to anything 20 metres away.

Overall, I am unsatisfied with recoils too.

I second Darksoul's opinion on the AK sights...

...they're just too tiny.

Actually I feel that the MGs are far too "wobbly" when prone.

There is no sensation of them being supported on their bipods

at all in the game.

edit: This impression also isn't helped by the way one always

has one's left hand shoved up the M240's ejection slot

(ouch! )  crazy_o.gif

The only matter to me is the realism of this issue so if it is enchanced from OFP its enought me very much so far.

The FDF recoil is much easier to handle than what we have in ArmA right now.
that means i (hate it)^2 then..

but infact its not the recoil that bothers me much.. is the fact that bullets don't hit the aimed target.

I agree, i rarely use my sights as i wont be able to shoot another target afterwards and i wont even know if the target is dead... So usually i just use my CH :| ... not very realistic ...

I should have made a pool to gather some real numbers...

Im not very satisfied with how the assault rifles handle, imho they should be a bit more stable (atleast in single fire mode).

The MG's are very stable and i suppose they should since they are heavy and resting on the bipods while in prone position.

Edit: H&K MP5 should have burst fire mode.

The M4A1 is a good example of how the rest of the assault rifles should handle. Accurate and minimal recoil. The machine guns kick way too much upwards when crouched or standing and the anti-materiel cannons are just silly. Aiming with a PSO scope has no logic, it doesn't follow any real rules. I managed to gather that the first chevron is 100 meters, the second is ~300 meters and the third is ~600 meters, the rest is a game of luck. The mil dot scope is totally useless.

...The machine guns kick way too much upwards when crouched or standing and the anti-materiel cannons are just silly...

Ever fired one? They kick like a bitch. It may be slightly exaggerated, but not by much.

...The machine guns kick way too much upwards when crouched or standing and the anti-materiel cannons are just silly...

Ever fired one? They kick like a bitch. It may be slightly exaggerated, but not by much.

I guess, it depends on who's holding it.

Arma could use a few more rifles still..

AKS74U with cobra sight.

AKS74U with grenade launcher.

Its odd that every US riflemen has an aimpoint, i would rather have most of them with irons.

Its also odd that only the grenadier has the 4x scope... i think he should have irons instead.

SF assault should also have the A1 full auto. They could just make the current M4 M203 full auto and give the regular grenadier a M4 M203 with irons... if they wanted too, i dont think it would be very hard.

The RPG-7 sights could use a bit of work too...

I also would like to add that AK's (east weapons) are more precise then the m16 (west weapons) in ARMA. dont know why.!? huh.gif

Also think its quite annoying the fact that "dot position" you aim is not where the <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>bullets will hit</span>. (even if we have no wind present)

try to fire a m9.. you will see where the bullets will hit.. its like <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>random destination.</span> Same thing happens to weapons.

I already fired real weapons and at 100m the bullet do NOT miss the aimed target. In ARMA they do. I do NOT understand why.. confused_o.gif

PS- and don't give me that wind effect bull crap.. <span style='color:red'>they just need to be fixed, thats all.</span>

heh the old BF2 rando-shot

I think the weapon handling is quite good you don't want super terminators walking around spraying M249 fire accurately all over the place, even if you can fire the M249 from a standing position at full auto in real life with enough accuracy to mow down people I DONT WANT IT. That would make ArmA the same as OFP with the G36, theres no variety or 'right tool for the job' everyone takes the same weapon

The only thing I don't like is the bouncy recoil, the amount is not a problem but when your view automatically moves down again. It's annoying and extremely difficult if not impossible to fire accurately until your view returns, the sight should jump up and right at a random angle and strength and not return. This way you can fight the recoil with your mouse and some skill is involved, not just click, wait, move mouse up a bit, repeat

Oh and bring on suppressive fire that affects recoil and steadiness pistols.gif

I agree with millenium. I experienced the terminator m249 in the demo and I think that that was enough of that.