Sign in to follow this  
Albert Schweitzer

ArmA animations

Hello,

I am a pretty busy man  biggrin_o.gif  but nevertheless I am trying to create some simple character animations for ArmA to record a small movie. Can you give me a hint or a tutorial from where I can start. Ofp-anim is outdated I may assume.. correct me if I am wrong. My KnowHow so far is 0% but I what I do know is that it appears to be a lot lot lot of work!

@Mods: Yes, I used the search function and looked up the term "animations" but i couldnt find anything usefull.

Can anyone answer this?  Just a reference would be great.    I too am interested in creating animations...

(including a proper crouch->sprint transition to start w/  tounge2.gif )

What about you guys that did all those anim updates for OFP?  Have you tried anything in ArmA yet?

Like Albert also did a bunch of looking around with no luck.

I wouldn't recomend you to use ofp-anim, altough you could. This beacuse of the simple fact that you have to edit every frame one by one so it takes a long time, the result is often bad and you often get twisted limbs. But it's ok for static anims smile_o.gif You could use maya (especially if you're gonna animate a custom organic cuz from what I've heard you will be able to export the painted weights of the skin with BIS' plugin. altough the average guy might not afford it and I wouldn't recomend you to spend 2 mounths of payment on an animation program, but you know what I mean right wink_o.gif

Static animations are fine to start off with. But where do I find a p3d from ArmA that I open and a man pops up that I can twist and turn? You got the name of the file? If I use the animations.pbo and unpbo it, then I get millions of p3d files but none opens.

Albert I guess you have to wait for the tools wink_o.gif

I mean, you don't even know the selection names and stuff.

...can't even open p3d files so you cannot make anims at this point I think

After using teacups maya setup to make 10 or so animations a while back I have to say that if the new maya animation tools are as easy to use, then anyone can pick it up and be able to make simple static or simple gestural animations. I had a maya guy at work walk me through making one and after that they were very easy to make. MUCH more than ofpanim. These were just simple animations such as waving arms, pumping fists in the air, and other static anims though. Time consuming but easy. Making new walk, run or any other complex animation would be a nightmare for anyone other than a fulltime animator. I wouldn't suggest it to my worst enemy.

Also if you depbo the anim pbo and look at how the anims are setup, named etc, it looks overwhelming. Simply beyond a mere dabblers ability. I thought I'd take a look and see what I could mess around with and just got lost looking at all the files and the config, lol.

But good luck with this if you try it. If you do, be prepared to waste countless hours. Just ask Sanctuary smile_o.gif

Albert I guess you have to wait for the tools  wink_o.gif

I mean, you don't even know the selection names and stuff.

...can't even open p3d files so you cannot make anims at this point I think

Well, it's not that bad really   wink_o.gif

We know the selection names.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

weapon

launcher

RightShoulder

RightArm

RightArmRoll

RightForeArm

RightForeArmRoll

RightHand

LeftShoulder

LeftArm

LeftArmRoll

LeftForeArm

LeftForeArmRoll

LeftHand

Pelvis

Spine

Spine1

Spine2

Spine3

Neck

Neck1

Head

RightUpLeg

RightUpLegRoll

RightLeg

RightLegRoll

RightFoot

RightToeBase

LeftUpLeg

LeftUpLegRoll

LeftLeg

LeftLegRoll

LeftFoot

LeftToeBase

RightHandIndex1

RightHandIndex2

RightHandIndex3

RightHandMiddle1

RightHandMiddle2

RightHandMiddle3

RightHandPinky1

RightHandPinky2

RightHandPinky3

RightHandRing1

RightHandRing2

RightHandRing3

RightHandThumb1

RightHandThumb2

RightHandThumb3

RightHandRing

LeftHandIndex1

LeftHandIndex2

LeftHandIndex3

LeftHandMiddle1

LeftHandMiddle2

LeftHandMiddle3

LeftHandPinky1

LeftHandPinky2

LeftHandPinky3

LeftHandRing1

LeftHandRing2

LeftHandRing3

LeftHandThumb1

LeftHandThumb2

LeftHandThumb3

LeftHandRing

camera

You can just open any RTM and read them. As far as i can tell the file format hasn't changed, so both OFPAnim and my Maya script/converter should be usable in the future.

What we don't have yet, is a sample soldier model from BIS (e.g. MLOD P3D). But it's possible to work without that too..

I wanted to make a few tests so i just made a mock-up of the ingame soldier and it looks ok. We don't need a vertex-by-vertex accurate model to be able to animate. And we don't even need the exact skeleton they used. I just took a few screenshots of the model in the default pose, modelled the dummy to fit the outlines, placed the joints using common sense and voilá! See if you can recognize the animations..  tounge2.gif

ArmA%20TPose.jpgArmA%20animation%20dummy.jpg

Puny DivX AVIs:

Anim 1

Anim 2

Yes, i know the model is mirrored, i'm not worried..  wink_o.gif

teaCup! It's great to see you around here still!

I know you're a busy man, but if I could offer a humble suggestion then maybe you (being so skilled in animation) could help out the entire community by giving us a rigged character.

If you use a program called 3d Ripper DX you would be able to grab a model of a unit from in game. From there, you won't have to estimate the size of the guy or anything. It's really easy to do, and since (well, in my eyes anyway) you're the most experienced animator in the community, I can't think of anyone better suited for the job.

Of course, it's entirely up to you, and I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just putting the idea out there if you're interested. smile_o.gif

Abs

I wouldn't recomend you to use ofp-anim, altough you could. This beacuse of the simple fact that you have to edit every frame one by one so it takes a long time, the result is often bad and you often get twisted limbs. But it's ok for static anims smile_o.gif You could use maya (especially if you're gonna animate a custom organic cuz from what I've heard you will be able to export the painted weights of the skin with BIS' plugin. altough the average guy might not afford it and I wouldn't recomend you to spend 2 mounths of payment on an animation program, but you know what I mean right wink_o.gif

and it's our chance. err.. i mean yours. because organics anim are the most harder to do. a chance , you will could import directly your t-rex "i'm angry :[ " anims

biggrin_o.gif

At ~2000 $ a minimal setup these things are dirt cheap (by today's mocap gear standards). I'm not sure of the quality though. And you need to consider setting up a pipeline for actually getting the raw data cleaned up, retargeting onto the ArmA rigs, further tweaking and exporting to the game. Sounds like quite the enterprise to me..  pistols.gif

@Abs: Why, i'm absolutely flabbergasted you'd suggest using 3D Ripper DX to grab the models (instant breach of license agreement), and all of it in broad daylight.  tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I will probably make a new Maya rig (and will try to make a decent one this time around  wink_o.gif). And i will probably update my Maya anim-kit and re-release it. But this is only for Maya users. I don't feel like spending a minute more than what  i have to (at work) in 3D Studio MAX.

For those of you who don't have/know MAX or Maya, and have a healthy dose of masochism, there's always OFPAnim. You just need a MLOD .p3d for it from BIS, or you can make your own. If you read through this thread carefully, you should know how..  smile_o.gif

i really dont see what you are complaining..

you can make human solders just take slx_pepole as refrance..

god know i did it and my soilder works with all the animations..

do a little research and you will see that you can make everyting without the tools..

sfc

Although i don't care for his tone, ITZHAK is right about being able to use "SLX_OFP2Skeleton.p3d" as a template for setting up the selections. And if you create linking and pivots info, you might be able to use it in OFPAnim, to make new animations for ArmA.

However, that file is a pretty crude mock-up:

SLX%20People.jpg

And also, Solus missed the idea behind the roll-bones. Roll-bones are used mostly by experienced riggers to compensate for excessive twisting of the wrists. They achieve this by splitting the forearm into 2 roughly equal segments (upper half: forearm_bone, lower half: forearm_roll_bone), and transfering half of the wrist's rotation onto the roll-bone. This technique eases the pressure on the wrist by 50%, and leads to nicer deformations of the mesh.

In ArmA, roll-bones are used for both upper- and lower- arms and legs. So if you want your models to inherit the animations correctly, you might want to do a proper job on these selections. If you care about quality, that is..

These roll bones are normally controlled by automated setups that do all the work. And OFPAnim can't do that. Which means you'll have to compensate for their functionality manually. Enjoy.

@Abs: Why, i'm absolutely flabbergasted you'd suggest using 3D Ripper DX to grab the models (instant breach of license agreement), and all of it in broad daylight.  tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

No it's not. Unless you decide to provide a download link for the model with no permission.

It's not illegal to get the models from the game for your own use. The program itself warns users that it should be used for educational and viewing purposes only.

I hope you can tell by the inflated wording that i was just kidding.. wink_o.gif

I don't concern myself much with EULAs. In fact, i sometimes knowingly break them, and i break them hard  tounge2.gif From a legal standpoint, they are often not worth the paper they're printed on..

Quote[/b] ]What we don't have yet, is a sample soldier model from BIS (e.g. MLOD P3D). But it's possible to work without that too..

there's wink_o.gif SLX_skeleton. This's not the model, but BIS skeleton. Can be imported in OFP_Anim etc. and i guess can be animated this way. Though I know people who tried but for some reasons it's not that easy as with old ofp models sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]If you use a program called 3d Ripper DX you would be able to grab a model of a unit from in game

3DRipper won't work with Arma wink_o.gif Arma kills hooks of this program - great way to avoid models larceny smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]If you use a program called 3d Ripper DX you would be able to grab a model of a unit from in game

3DRipper won't work with Arma wink_o.gif Arma kills hooks of this program - great way to avoid models larceny smile_o.gif

You sure? wink_o.gif

ArmA Officer Texture

You sure?  wink_o.gif  

I tried. no luck. If you managed to do it - why not upload it somewhere ?

@teaCup...

Quote[/b] ]and my Maya script/converter should be usable in the future....

I've had a look around for your maya script converter but can't find it. Is there a link someone could provide?

EDIT:

Never mind... lol, just found it stashed away in a folder...

Cheers.

damn.. i can extract the model and texture, but am i going to have to put the textures on the model my self?

i got LightWave9

damn.. i can extract the model and texture, but am i going to have to put the textures on the model my self?

i got LightWave9

Yes, and no.

The UV Coordinates have been extracted and are correct on the faces. Just change texture paths and the textures will appear with right coords.

Keep this topic fresh

teacup sir...just to let you know that I await anything your releasing for animations

I have a serious project that I would like to finish for ARMA

Requires extensive animations of the arms and hands

(ASL interpreter)

Model can be extracted from the game. It's difficult but i'm sure it's possible to set selectuions on this model using SLX_skeletone. If anyone has time/willing to try - PM me wink_o.gif