Sign in to follow this  
scarz^

MHZ Clock problem - 1.05

Greetings!

My standard clock of pc konfig. is -> amd 2500+ barton,1 gb ddr 333 mhz,radeon 9800 pro 7.1 omega drivers,win xp sp2,n force2 chipset with soundstorm.

The problem is when i raise the clock of CPU from 2500+(1,8ghz) to 3200+(2,2ghz) and DDR RAM(FSB) from 333Mhz to 400mhz i get random time crashes(freezes) and when its on standard clocks it wont crash sad_o.gif I am not overlocking the GPU(radeon 9800pro).Does anyone have a solution or has experience with that?

Please help.gif !!!

P.S Any other games at higher clocks works perfect and i think heating is not the problem(CPU runs at about 57C when overclocked)

scarz, your problem has nothing to do with ArmA.

Some games push the HW harder than others and thats probably whats happening here. If you intend to OC sucessfully I suggest you head over to a OC hardware forum and read up on the topic and/or ask for help there.

/KC

As KeyCat said, the overclocking is obviously your problem, just because other apps don't crash right away doesn't mean the problem is ArmA related in any way, since it doesn't happen if not overclocked. The other programs might need less cpu/ram power or you simply don't see the errors caused by the overclocking. Also, a low temp doesn't necessarily mean that your cpu works fine with a certain clocking, if, for example, the core voltage isn't sufficient for that clocking (DO NOT PLAY AROUND WITH THESE SETTINGS IF YOU DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO).

Your best bet would be to look into some serious articles about how to oc "safely" and visit some forums related to it.

There are also tests like Super pi to find out if your cpu works flawlessly with a certain clocking, but you will learn more about these anyway if you look into the topic.

I can confirm that, overclocking my CPU caused the game to Hard lock after a while playing- As people have said, it's not the games fault it's just pushing the hardware a bit more than others. Set the CPU to normal and the crashes or lock ups should disappear.

As psycosmos said (wise words) Unless you know what you're doing leave the overclocking alone or be sorry.

Scars, Ur pushing the OC too far. Go down a 200mhz, download prime 95, and run the full stress test. If u get NO erros in about 2 hours time, ur OC is likely to be stable. If not go down another 20-50mhz and run stress test again. Voltage to CPU increases the stability of ur oc, but go only about 0.10-0.20 volts from the standard setup. Remeber to check ur temps!! 50C is considered a safe temp, don't go over 55C at Computer running at full load.

hope this helps smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Can only agree... some games push our machines harder.

For testing stability, after using superPI and other tests, I usually use C&C generals, Flight simulator X and now Arma... these are three games that really use all the power you give them.

Sorry I totally disagree this some of your comments about it's not ArmA, My machine is pretty high spec.

OCing is more common place and easier to do today than it ever was.

C2D 6300 1.86@ 3.06 OC

2 GB Ram

8800GTS GF Card

And I've been overclocking my machines for over 7 years without a single problem with any top games, or installing patches, yet ArmA will not install a simple patch with your machine OC in any way, this points to the coding of the developers, taking sort cuts to get the games working and bypassing a critical step in optimizing the code.

And before you all start to rant, I work in a games development company and have seen this happen to meet delivery dates etc.

I'm not saying that ArmA is a bad game, it's just that it could have done with another 6 months Dev time, and I'm sure it will get there in the end, hopefully before the US release.

I'll still continue to play and hope they fix the bugs, which I'm sure they will.

Just to throw this in here, I'm overclocking extensively and I have no problems.

Same, I've got a C2D 6800 @ 3.4 GHz, no problems with anything.

Sorry I totally disagree this some of your comments about it's not ArmA, My machine is pretty high spec.

C2D 6300 1.86@ 3.06 OC

2 GB Ram

8800GTS GF Card

And I've been overclocking my machines for over 7 years without a single problem with any top games, or installing patches, yet ArmA will not install a simple patch with your machine OC in any way, this points to the coding of the developers, taking sort cuts to get the games working and bypassing a critical step in optimizing the code.

And before you all start to rant, I work in a games development company and have seen this happen to meet delivery dates etc.

I'm not saying that ArmA is a bad game, it's just that it could have done with another 6 months Dev time, and I'm sure it will get there in the end, hopefully before the US release.

I'll still continue to play and hope they fix the bugs, which I'm sure they will.

rofl.gif

Hardware companies give you no support or warranties for oc, why should Bis be responsible?

I have oc my pc and it run's fine with Arma.

I bet lot's of people with problems have killed (with their oc settings) DMA transfere between graphic card and memory

that's why it suddenly runs when they go back to defaults.

How many games during the past 7 years exhausted 512MB grapics ram?

QuietMan

Well, back in the days, you just had a TURBO button, pressing it would OC your CPU, mine overclocked from 66 to 99 mhz! Just by pressing the button. I don't think it's that easy nowadays wink_o.gif

Download and run memtest.

Game works fine and actually flies OC.

e6400 oc'ed @3.2

2 gig teem extreem 667 ddr2

7900 gs oc 650/1.6

700 psu

Asus Commando

You can not expect a game (or a patch), or even your typical operating system to be able to recover from a hardware fault. If something fails because of overclocking then your system simply is not stable and you are the only one to blame when things go wrong. There is no 'short cuts' like what you describe that developers can do, if some part of the system is doing something else than requested then there is very little to be done about it other than fix the hardware. The best thing software can do is attempt to detect the fault and prevent any further problems by shutting down in a controlled manner.

It is a pretty bad situation when people who have no knowledge of even the basic things about computers are doing this kind of thing. With overclocking being so 'mainstream' and easy today it seems there's a large number of people with unstable systems who then blame the software when things fail, and even send bogus crash reports to developers and waste their time and effort.

If something fails when your computer is overclocked and doesn't when it is not then your system is not working as it should. Running programs like prime, superpi, pifast, memtest, and so on can reveal unstability but they can never tell you if your system is stable. Different programs stress the system differently so only way to know if program X runs without problems is to run program X.

You can not expect a game (or a patch), or even your typical operating system to be able to recover from a hardware fault. If something fails because of overclocking then your system simply is not stable and you are the only one to blame when things go wrong. There is no 'short cuts' like what you describe that developers can do, if some part of the system is doing something else than requested then there is very little to be done about it other than fix the hardware. The best thing software can do is attempt to detect the fault and prevent any further problems by shutting down in a controlled manner.

It is a pretty bad situation when people who have no knowledge of even the basic things about computers are doing this kind of thing. With overclocking being so 'mainstream' and easy today it seems there's a large number of people with unstable systems who then blame the software when things fail, and even send bogus crash reports to developers and waste their time and effort.

If something fails when your computer is overclocked and doesn't when it is not then your system is not working as it should. Running programs like prime, superpi, pifast, memtest, and so on can reveal unstability but they can never tell you if your system is stable. Different programs stress the system differently so only way to know if program X runs without problems is to run program X.

If that's the case then why is it every other Game I have, and I get to test and play most of the latest ones, works perfectly well on my system OCed.

Have they got it wrong, and BI got it correct, the idea of releasing a game is it needs to run on the current spec of average machine, not one you will buy in 2 years, this still doesn't explain the errors other people have which is the same as mine without overclocking.

Maybe BI have not got the abilty to test their game with as much differeent hardware as the big boys, that's why it should have been delayed till is was ready.

Maybe BI have not got the abilty to test their game with as much differeent hardware as the big boys, that's why it should have been delayed till is was ready.

And by the time it's delayed, new hardware and directX and drivers are out... and it's tested, ad vitam aeternam tounge2.gif

I run ArmA fine with a barton2500 thats overclocked to almost a 3200. My barton (or memory) has never liked 400MHZ (200 bus) though for any game but it runs at 380 (190 bus) just fine. Maybe try dropping the bus speed a bit but not all the way back to default speeds to see if it stabilizes.

If that's the case then why is it every other Game I have, and I get to test and play most of the latest ones, works perfectly well on my system OCed.

Well, there is no other game like ArmA. It is programmed in a total different way. If you really are working at a games development company then you should definately know that each game uses different components more than others. So if you stress an overclocked component to much, it can crash...

Also you schould know that overclocking at such a high level is quite risky for stability. So if you don't overclock, it works without a problem? Overclocking just accelerates everything, the code doesn't change, it's just executed faster, it won't be a bug that causes that, otherwise it would also happen when not overclocked. confused_o.gif

When not overclocked and it still crashes, then there might be a problem, else it's just one piece of hardware that is overused/cannot follow, which leads to a system crash.

Thanks to the replies!

Well i gotta say that I was running the overclocked konfiguration for about 2 years and there has been no crashes at other games and programs exclude arma.I tried to play MS Flight Sim X Deluxe and other newset games with OC'ed parameters and everything went fine,not even a single crash.All i wanted to say that its sad that i have to play arma which is a "huge ressource eater" at standard clocks.Cheers and i hope anyone will find a solution or the developers will fix it in future patches.Over and out.

P.S My processor is locked so i am only able to raise the clock of fsb and cpu.

Over and out icon_rolleyes.gifyay.gif

Problem: Error through overclocking.

Solution: Reset frequencies back to default.

Seriously, as much as I understand the fascination about hardware tuning, and as much as I am aware of frequency just being a matter of temperature and thus cooling - changing the manufacturer default clock speed settings always have the risk of rendering your system instable.

Problem: Error through overclocking.

Seriously, as much as I understand the fascination about hardware tuning, and as much as I am aware of frequency just being a matter of temperature and thus cooling - changing the manufacturer default clock speed settings always have the risk of rendering your system instable.

Why dont you help people resolving the problem instead of writing useless posts?We already knew what u said.

Why dont you help people resolving the problem instead of writing useless posts?We already knew what u said.

errm he did:

If you don't like his try to help resolving the problem

there's no need to beat him.

Even if everybody already knew it he might have thought

to just confirm what others already have said.

Since you're still asking for a patchside fix which already

everybody knows wink_o.gif doesn't solve system instability then

don't wonder when ppl are pointing you on the very same

fact again.

~S~ CD

Well like I said there isn't really a problem with the game 1.04 ran OK OCed, but patch 1.05 would not install.

I've just played 3 hours on 1.05 online without a crash, all overclocked, so the games does work, but that doesn't explain why the patch update doesn't and how files can be changed from a fresh install from DVD, stopping the check on update.

Most people are having problems getting the patch to work and then some slow down since 1.05

we will just have to see what they do next.