Sign in to follow this  
walker

ArmA MP since 1.05 Excelent

Hi all

I just played an excelent couple of games of "River Battle" style ultra large scale Capture and Hold (C&H) ArmA called "Berzerk!".

60 Players no lag vehicles were a dream to drive.

I had TS with some Zeus guys going.

BIS have done the job as far as Net Code goes. Yeah we could do with some extras but they will come.

The fact is: it played brilliant it is in fact better than OFP no if buts or may-be's.

I noticed the servers are getting larger and are filling up really quick.

Thanks BIS smile_o.gif

Kind Regards walker

Hmm ive yet to experience a good game of 1.05 online.

I get more lag than i did in 1.04 personally :\

Netcode definately needs improvement, especially as BIS claimed to have 100+ players in a game...

Just what I was waiting for but I will have to confirm since I got the game this morning and it's still sealed.

Hi Jack-UK

Join in on the UMPC public server.

It is the one with 60 players on it.

It may change your mind

Kind Regards walker

I got more lags in 1.05 than before. (1.02) Also I noticed that the vehicels rather "swim" more than they drive. They slide over the surface like snowboards at lower speed.

It is almost excellent, but does internal voice com work already? Because at our server (disablevon=0), it doesn't seem to be working. And for 60 players a team/group/vehicle based voicecom system would be also better, I guess.

it's definatly getting alot better. - i've had great games upto 35-40 players. Last night we found a really nice server with a 180 second respawn (just how we like it, respawns, but slow ones).

Hi all

I think the high numbers on the servers speak for themselves: servers with 60 on lots of 40s and 30s with low pings; all full most of the time last night and the JIP is working well.

I could not get internal coms working on those servers but I do not know if it was turned on. I was using Teamspeak anyway so if it is a bug there is work around till it gets fixed.

The most important thing is I like all the others was having fun. I also played a couple of coops some Hexekessle and some other short range CTFs.

Kind Regards walker

I wouldnt say it was excellent, but its improved a lot.

The whole process of joining a game server is still hit and miss.

We need servers to have the ability to have a proper mission rotation.

Hi neswrossi

That is down to server admins. There are various options available to them. Over the next few months, of shake out, I think the various scripted options will start to appear.

At the moment I have noticed that server admins are playing on line and putting up the games they want to play.

Where there are no admins, mission voting seems to be working well on the servers I visited.

Note, I do not say MP is everything we want; I am saying:

1) It is an excellent start.

2) It is better than OFP by a large margin, (and ArmA is the only MP game I have been able to say that about.)

3) I had fun! yay.gif

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

I just played an excelent couple of games of "River Battle" style ultra large scale Capture and Hold (C&H) ArmA called "Bezerk!".

60 Players no lag vehicles were a dream to drive.

I had TS with some Zeus guys going.

BIS have done the job as far as Net Code goes. Yeah we could do with some extras but they will come.

The fact is: it played brilliant it is in fact better than OFP no if buts or may-be's.

I noticed the servers are getting larger and are filling up really quick.

Thanks BIS smile_o.gif

Kind Regards walker

yeah same experience here! way to go bis!

Exactly the same, Berzerk mission with 50+ people, a bit of CTF too, and large scale coop (there are others than this "Air Cavalry coop" that every server seems to run, and these are excellent... admins, variety, plz! not all playing the same thing).

Only going grumpy over using parachutes for respawn in Berzerk maps, makes you sitting duck + half the time on my PC, it went buggy and released me from the chute way too early so I died 50% of the respawn. It gets on the nerves, so I made ungratefull comments I shouldn't have.

Anyway, cheers to Zaphod for making these maps. they are great.

And, from what I've seen, the lag seen in games are most due to servers not really having enough power. Generally speaking, when the mission download is slow, you know you'll have desynch and various connection issues. When it's smooth, it'll go fine.

so what spec is your server exactly, as our server is no slouch but MP experience on it is very unstable.

I must say that i had my BEST gaming experience EVER in this Berzerk map!!! Absolutely brilliant  yay.gif

Rockets flying, explosions everywhere, guns blazing  pistols.gif

AAAAAHHHH  

inlove.gif

there are others than this "Air Cavalry coop" that every server seems to run, and these are excellent... admins, variety, plz! not all playing the same thing

Agree, diversity is what we need gentlemen.

What about Coop? Is performance better there?

Rekrul: today we're testing out 1.05 in Coop, ~16 players from 2000 - 0100 CET.

we hit the problems with multiplayer maps, not CoOps, even if its the same numbers of players on the server. Its all a bit weird to be honest.

we hit the problems with multiplayer maps, not CoOps, even if its the same numbers of players on the server. Its all a bit weird to be honest.

Simply not too much scripting, wrong scripts, too hard/many loops, etc. etc in the Missions?

If it is performance issues related to scripts/etc... then perhaps it's usefull to look into Zaphod's work (the one behind the Berzerk maps) because his maps run nicely with 60+ people on them, even when he has few things running (capture checker, vehicles respawns, corpse despawners, etc, etc...).

We've had several coops on 1.05 now with 20+ people on Kyllikki's server with maps consisting of hundreds of AIs and dozens of vehicles without any lag whatsoever. CPU load on the server is clearly much lighter than on OFP smile_o.gif

On the "bad" side the AI in 1.05 is so much better than in OFP or ArmA 1.02 that we're getting beaten and outsmarted by it on several maps which are made 'OFP' style with 1:10 or 1:5 force rations...Many times human player casualties are bigger than AI's...so ArmA forces us to rethink tactics. The AI seems very eager to outflank you and they are very aggressive whenever they hear gunshots. Just AI's dropped on the map without any waypoints show significant maneuvers when they are threatened.

To make it short, ArmA 1.05 offers the best coop experience ever  xmas_o.gif

I dont think its the map scripting causing the problems as its all multiplay maps that roll over and die, where most of the CoOp's can have equally or more often, more complicated scripting.

I dont think its the map scripting causing the problems as its all multiplay maps that roll over and die, where most of the CoOp's can have equally or more often, more complicated scripting.

I've also seen stable non-coop maps, the Berzerk maps with 60+ people I'm talking about are C&H.

Well, there's odd yellow network issue marker now and then, but nothing serious.

I don't remember on which server and I honestly don't know their server's specs