raedor

Hardware and settings for ArmA

CPU: T7700 (2.40GHZ)

VAGA CARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600M GT

RAM: KINGSTON 3GB DDR2

HARD DISC: 200GB ( 5400 rev. 100GBX2 )

MONITOR: 17" ( WUXGA 1920X1200 )

OPERATING SYSTEM: WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM

It should be one of the fastest version for laptop in my country. Any suggestions what I could do for making the game more quicker with less lags in ARMA? I just tried to disable all special effect options yesterday. But that degraded the game amusement.

Vista has a HUGE impact on ArmA performance. It was unplayable for me in vista, XP it's all smooth.

Oh, Damn it, my Laptop was installed Vista from computer plant and it seems may cause unstable system if using XP. I think BIS should release a patch for Vista system for ARMA.

Oh, Damn it, my Laptop was installed Vista from computer plant and it seems may cause unstable system if using XP. I think BIS should release a patch for Vista system for ARMA.

They won't, they don't support vista.

Hard drive speeds are a big factor in game performance too remember. 5400 is "slow" but for laptops that's usually pretty normal as they make less sound and heat, but in power intensive situations you'll notice it's down falls.

Intel C2D E6550 2.33GHz 1333 4MB S-775      

ASUS P5N-E/SLI nForce 650i S-775      

2GB DDR2 PC5400 667MHz 1. Part (2x1GB)      

768MB Sparkle GeF 8800GTX GDDR3 PCI-E      

550W HKC USP-5550 (17dB)      

Standard Intel cooler  

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (DK)

Runs like a dream, everything in very high settings and 60+ fps constantly.

Hi! Does anyone knows is Gigabyte GV-RX26P512H ATI Radeon HD2600Pro a good card for Arma(or others new games) ? Thanks! smile_o.gif

E6750 (2.66GHZ) Core 2 Duo

8800GTS 320 (Palit)

1GB of DDR2 800mhz OCZ System Elite (Second Stick doesn't like motherboard, so don't crusify me for only 1GB o RAM :P)

2x250GB, 1x300GB.

Settings:

Terrain: High

Objects: High

Textures: High

Shading: Very Low (Usually Very High/High/Normal)

Post Processing: Low

Anisoptric Filtering: Disabled

Shadows: Normal

Anti-aliasing: Disabled

Blood: High

Anywhere I go, I've always got atleast 75 frames per second, with anti-aliasing on, I am very prone to crashing, as with anisoptric. Only in ArmA though tounge2.gif .

Me too. sad_o.gif

I have to keep the settings all to NORMAL to avoid most instability issues, even with the newest Nvidia driver! sad_o.gif

It only happens wit ArmA, Supreme Commander and Bioschock run pretty fine, strange. confused_o.gif

I cannot find a way to solve this problem. sad_o.gif

Hmmm...I was hoping by now someone would have chimed in on the 3870 Radeon. I saw one post in Off Topic that said he was running High, but not much more info.

Other thoughts on the 3870? Still too new?

@ all with performance-issues:

if you want up to 40% more performance then give a try the lowplants-addon from kegety´s.

greets from germany

It is not. Buy a 3870 radeon, it is out within a week.

1, NEGATIVE.

:P

But seriously , your better off shelling out the extra $50-$100 for a nvidia geforce 8800GT 512mb. By far outperforms the HD3870, outperforms the largest version of the 8800GTS and will set you right up for dx10 games.

Don't get me wrong, HD3870 is great,if you're on a budget, but you may as well grab the high end performance card for practically same price (considering they're going as low as $300 over here which is like $250 over in US).

Quote[/b] ]Hmmm...I was hoping by now someone would have chimed in on the 3870 Radeon. I saw one post in Off Topic that said he was running High, but not much more info.

Other thoughts on the 3870? Still too new?

Above ^^^

I am thinking about getting  the 8800gt  512  for arma..

I have   a AMD dual core 2x 64 3800 2.00ghz with 1000 ram

Will this be good enough to run arma at least at middle settings and still get a good frame rate?

good enough?

The 8800GT should run ArmA very well.

But I highly reccomend you to get another 1024MB ram too.

MfG Lee xmas_o.gif

thankx

so my processor (AMD dual core 2x 64 3800 2.00ghz)

is good enough to handle arma? does adding ram speed up load times or does it do anything else?

The cpu could be faster but it should run "ok" with the GF8800GT.

Only problem is, that ArmA has no dual core support(hello BIS) so you are running ArmA on a 2000Mhz single core.

That's not 100% true because windows and the graphics card driver profit from the X2.

Maybe a bit overclocking to get some more mhz? wink_o.gif

---

When I start ArmA (at very high settings)with all the good addons released so far, it takes up to ~800MB ram.

If you only have 1024MB that would mean you got ~200MB left for windows.

So yes, more ram speed up the loading times.

MfG Lee xmas_o.gif

Ive got a HD 3870. It seems to be a really good card, I am running everything on very high apart from anti aliasing which I have set to normal. I use a resolution of 1280x1024. It also works well in other new games such as Bioshock, Crysis and CoD 4. To be honest, the 8800GT is a slightly faster card but it is more expensive and it doesn't have some of the features that the HD3870 has.

Arma runs beautifull.

to compare.

use fraps, en start benchmarking as soon as arma stops loading for 150 seconds.

the results:

Frames: 6789 - Time: 150000ms - Avg: 45.260 - Min: 0 - Max: 97

this using 1280x1024;

all possible settings as high as possible

viewdistance=10k

(q6600@3ghz, 2x xfx 8800gtx xxx, 2048 memory)

(only 1 addon is loaded: Kegetys lowplants 1.1 (lower fps)

(used nvidia beta drivers 169.21)

if I set everything in nvidiacontrolpanel on high quality, or on high performance, the benchmark difference will only be 1-2 fps

maybe a few links to remind:

lowplants: http://www.kegetys.net/dl.php/lowplants11.zip

fraps: http://www.fraps.com/setup.exe

nvidia-beta drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/betadrivers.aspx?lang=en-us

Anyone tried checking performance with 2 x WD Raptor HDD in RAID 0 ?

Currently runing with

E6600

3GB PC6400 Corsair

Asus P5B

512MB Geforce 8800 GT

74GB Raptor 10.000 RPM HDD.

Ive got a HD 3870. It seems to be a really good card, I am running everything on very high apart from anti aliasing which I have set to normal. I use a resolution of 1280x1024. It also works well in other new games such as Bioshock, Crysis and CoD 4. To be honest, the 8800GT is a slightly faster card but it is more expensive and it doesn't have some of the features that the HD3870 has.

what does the HD 3870 do? it seems to have the same price as the 8800gt

my HD3870 was 20% cheaper than 8800GT so i call it win smile_o.gif

anyway it's performance approx same or 5-10% lower than GT (depends on title)  if you OC this is non issue then

but ...

1. cold (35-45C idle stock cooler)

2. 3 modes of power usage (idle, low (aero, some 3d apz), games)

3. quiet (silence is your friend from now on stock cooler)

4. easy overclock (10-20% both GPU and VRAM and still cold/quiet)

5. excelent video acceleration by UVD (CPU offload) and quality

6. future DX10.1 support (imagine it as enhanced DX10)

7. hw accelerated 3DC+ (normal mapping compression)

8. tesselation unit (hw accelerated) which may in future gets very handy for e.g. terrain rendering smile_o.gif

9. cheap and available - both 3850 and 3870 price is set for masses (if it's too much just wait for HD 36xx)

this not mean 8800GT/GTS/GTX/Ultra aren't worse it's really matter of taste ...

atm NVIDIA got niche in way of supporting developers to 'ensure' NV related coding is better than AMD.ATI related coding smile_o.gif

you sure know so called The Way It's Mean to Be played program  banghead.gif

p.s. i think HD3870 needs some engine and driver tweaks to work flawlessly with ArmA as i encoutered some glitches

(way too new technology (e.g. new AA modes) i guess)

well, i am seriously thinking of changing my x1950xtx with either a BFG 8800GT OC2 or an ati 3870. On a second thought i'll wait a little longer. I was thinking that they will release the XTX version of 38xx (called 3890?) but i see no word about that. Any clues?

In my opinion 8800GT is still THE best buy of 2007 as it kicks the GTS ass back to nvidia.