Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Hardware and settings for ArmA

I ran pretty much the same setup only with a 7950GT KO /X1900XTX 512MB video card.

You would need to define what a 'firefight' is to you. Because with 30-40 Ai, or even 10-15 with air support, you're going to be at 15FPS I would think. CPU makes a huge difference, as does the DX10 card. Reviews say the 2900XT is alot slower than the 8800 series, but I haven't tried it. I've run all the way up to a 6000+ on the same mobo, with the 7950GT Superclocked and performance was still 'iffy.'

If you want a smile on your face I would definitely at least consider switching to a Core2Duo instead of the AMD platform. An ASUS P5K or P5B and an e6600 or e4300 (overclock them). The e6600 should be alot cheaper at alot of places because the Quad Cores are out and saturating the market. You can still use the same RAM.

Trust me, until earlier this year, and after numerous consequetive upgrades, this AMD/ATi fanboy, went Intel and Nvidia. The performance just can't be beaten.

Intel Core2 Duo E6600 2.40 GHz (S775) BOX

is about twice expensive then AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ BOX (AM2) whilst e430 is in same price.

sad_o.gif

You would need to define what a 'firefight' is to you. Because with 30-40 Ai, or even 10-15 with air support, you're going to be at 15FPS I would think. CPU makes a huge difference, as does the DX10 card. Reviews say the 2900XT is alot slower than the 8800 series, but I haven't tried it. I've run all the way up to a 6000+ on the same mobo, with the 7950GT Superclocked and performance was still 'iffy.'

The AI is awesomely optimized compared to OFP, i have a x2 4200+ and can easily handle a 100+ unit firefight with several vehicles, and that is with seconds suppresion scripts running on all groups.

Nvidia GeForce 7500LE 512mb VRAM

2 GB DDR2 RAM

3.20GHz Intel Dual Core RAM

ArmA Runs bad in tree's and grass compared to being on the runway and all settings are on lowest. Overall performance for what I assume would be a good card: crap. Very disapointing graphics card.

Quote[/b] ]for what I assume would be a good card

It´s the budget version of an outdated card. huh.gif

Are you running it in a Labtop ?

The AI is awesomely optimized compared to OFP, i have a x2 4200+ and can easily handle a 100+ unit firefight with several vehicles, and that is with seconds suppresion scripts running on all groups.

See now, that's really strange. What kind of results do you get in the editor, by previewing your work? Do you preload units via camcreate? I think that perhaps the differences in performance might be because some just use the editor, while others use scripting to create their units.

There must a vital step some of us newbies are missing when loading missions via the editor; which gives us crap performance(?)

In my latest video (in my sig) there were about 120-130 units on the map. I was really hard the CPU and I was mostly at 21-25FPS. When I introduced the Cobra and two KA-50's into the mix (using the editor) my FPS in some spots would actually dip lower than 15 momentarily.

huh.gifsmile_o.gif

See now, that's really strange. What kind of results do you get in the editor, by previewing your work? Do you preload units via camcreate? I think that perhaps the differences in performance might be because some just use the editor, while others use scripting to create their units.

There must a vital step some of us newbies are missing when loading missions via the editor; which gives us crap performance(?)

In my latest video (in my sig) there were about 120-130 units on the map. I was really hard the CPU and I was mostly at 21-25FPS. When I introduced the Cobra and two KA-50's into the mix (using the editor) my FPS in some spots would actually dip lower than 15 momentarily.

huh.gif   smile_o.gif

Well i always play at +-25FPS as my videocard cant handle much more on normal settings.

However i play this mission quite often and it has 11 squads+3strykers+1chopper vs 13squads+2UAZ's+1BMP (total units: +-200)  and i have absolutely 0 performance problems, ofcourse they arent all fighting at the same time and i chose this area as the battlefield because its quite flat (still provides some cover) and it doesnt have alot of objects which interfere with the AI pathfinding. (Though in this mission it becomes quite clear that they use the treelines instead of just running around without any cover, that, or they accidentally walk there over and over again without any waypoints besides the GUARD one which is placed on top of them. icon_rolleyes.gif )

If i trow all of this in 1 city then yes, it drags my FPS down back to +-15, but so much units in 1 city make it unplayable for gameplay reasons anyway.. tounge2.gif

I try not to have more then 10 squads in 1 city at the same time, any more and my FPS starts getting below 20 (8 squads is still more then ok though).

EDIT: All of this with seconds suppresion script running on all groups, its so awesome i cant play without it. tounge2.gif

I'd need some help in deciding something.

I've got:

Barton 2600+(no OC)

XFX Geforce 6600GT(again, no OC), AGP

1 gig of various RAM

Epox 8rda3+(I think it's a +, too lazy to check)

I can run ArmA pretty smoothly(25+) with everything on low or very low(I've only got object detail on normal), sometimes with more than 80 units on the most detailed part of the island I get an FPS lower than 15. I was wondering if anybody has a similar rig to this, but with a 7600GT. I'm interested in buying one, I've checked Tom's hardware to check how it'd preform and it seems it can double the preformance in just about anything, but I'd like to double check for ArmA. I'm wondering more if I could up my settings a bit(as in, put the shadows on and perhaps run shader detail on Low instead of Very Low, and perhaps textures on normal) and still retain the preformance I have with the 6600GT or have it even better?

Theres allsorts of 7600gt stuff a few pages back.

i have one and the game runs "o.k."

i wouldnt expect miracles, it will make no difference to youre cpu lag (many units in detailed scenery).

on the other hand they are nice and cheap atm wink_o.gif

7600GT p4 northwood @3.06 1gb ram

I run at 1280x1024

terrain detail: normal

object detail: low

textures: low

shading: normal

pp: low

AF:high (a must with low textures)

AA:medium

Shadows: high

I get similar performance to what you currently describe

paraiso kills my framerate as do cpu intensive missions (evo)

Yeah, I know, the CPU is a real bottleneck on my machine.

Hi guys, I'm kinda new here (well I've been around for awhile just now registered and this is my first post, lol tounge2.gif ).

Anyway, I'm hoping someone could help me figure out how to set things up so things can look good but also run smooth without all the laggy crap that I've been getting. Here is what I am working with (which was built back in late January):

--------------------------------------------

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 1.86Ghz Socket 775

Motherboard: Intel DG965RYCK Socket 775 Motherboard

Memory:OCZ XTC 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz (2x1024MB)

Hard Drive: 200 GB (forgot the brand, etc off hand, I ripped it out of my old HP media center pc)

Video Card: HIS Radeon X1650 Pro IceQ Turbo 512MB PCIe

Monitor: Proview PL713s 17" LCD Monitor set to 1280x1024 @ 75 Hertz refresh

Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

Keyboard: Logitec G15

Mouse: Logitec G5

---------------------------------------------

Thanks for any help you guys could offer me. Hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend, btw.

-John

Hi guys, I'm kinda new here (well I've been around for awhile just now registered and this is my first post, lol  tounge2.gif ).

Anyway, I'm hoping someone could help me figure out how to set things up so things can look good but also run smooth without all the laggy crap that I've been getting. Here is what I am working with (which was built back in late January):

--------------------------------------------

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 1.86Ghz Socket 775

Motherboard: Intel DG965RYCK Socket 775 Motherboard

Memory:OCZ XTC 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz (2x1024MB)

Hard Drive: 200 GB (forgot the brand, etc off hand, I ripped it out of my old HP media center pc)

Video Card: HIS Radeon X1650 Pro IceQ Turbo 512MB PCIe

Monitor: Proview PL713s 17" LCD Monitor set to 1280x1024 @ 75 Hertz refresh

Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

Keyboard: Logitec G15

Mouse: Logitec G5

---------------------------------------------

Thanks for any help you guys could offer me. Hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend, btw.

-John

My settings (Resolution is 1024×768 btw)

On an slightly overclocked

Amd x2 4200+

2gb ram

x1600XT

So our performance is more or less the same.

However i have a modded grass setting (less dense grass) so you may want to lower shading detail or set terrain detail to very low.

Usually +-25FPS, up to 50 in desert area's, +-15 when inside a crappy, FPS eating bush.

Oh, and if i had a fun weekend then i would be drinking beer and playing pool right now.. tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

Thanks for info, mate. Much appreciated. smile_o.gif

I tried it last night and when I was playing the some of the SP missions I noticed when I moved the rifle around it was a bit sluggish and not smooth at all--maybe I need to edit my settings in the ATI CCC (I just have it defaulted at Balanced).

I was wondering if also my CPU is a bit crappy? I don't know as I'm far from a PC guru here, lol. Maybe one of you guys could answer that. I mean I was able to play RB6 Vegas, GRAW and GRAW 2 all maxed out with no lag at all--well except for Vegas but that was because of that annoying blur effect setting which only made me nauseous anyway lol. tounge2.gif

Anyhoo, thanks a lot for settings suggestion OFP! I owe ya a round of beer n' pool. rofl.gif

I tried it last night and when I was playing the some of the SP missions I noticed when I moved the rifle around it was a bit sluggish and not smooth at all--maybe I need to edit my settings in the ATI CCC (I just have it defaulted at Balanced).

Google for 'Ati tray tools' and install it, then set 'flip queue size' to 0

MB; ASUS STRIKER EXTREME

CPU; Q6600

Mem; 2gb PC6400

GPU; 2 x XFX 8800 Ultra Extreme

HD; 2 x Cheeta 10000rpm 160gb RAID (STRIPE)

Everything is on, and I can use the 10k distance with a slight lag, I usually put it down to around 2500 - 3000m (which should be - in my opinion - enough for ground battles...)

I'm planning on more RAM, but I've heard that XP only supports 4gb on paper, but I've understood that the most you can gain from 4gb is around 3.5gb.

ZNorQ

Question:

I've just bought a 7600GT AGP, it runs nicely and gives me a preformance boost that i've been looking for. Just one tiny bit of a problem, I run NVmonitor in the background and I see that the GPU core runs at the clock speed on the box(560Mhz) but the memory runs at 700Mhz, which is half as much as is written on the box. Well as soon as I run something intensive I get some wierd freaky results:

Core:

Memory

Is that normal? And is it normal that in idle mode it shows the memory running at 700Mhz?

I'm running a dual screen, could that be the problem?

Any help would be great.

but the memory runs at 700Mhz, which is half as much as is written on the box.

Its DDR. icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi m8

I've go an old notebook

ASUS z92F-AP123H

CPU: T2250 1,7 DC

Ram: 1GB

GPU: Intel 945GM Express (shut up!wink_o.gif

Can i play arma with MINIUM settings? + no grass, no fog patch? Is playing on this configuration possible?

I can't write now, the details of this notebook

Most likely not. The lack of a dedicated 3d accelerator card will be hindering you alot, same with the slow CPU.

Can a 8800 GTS 320 Mb run this game maxed out? Also, my CPU shouldnt really limit it in ArmA, should it? I saw somewhere that Marek said the a VGA should be as strong as possible but CPU-side a 3 Ghz P4 is enough, and I've got stuff in that category.

Hey everyone.

First post for me here (I played OFP since it was released in europe untill 2005). Haven't bought ArmA yet,because my old comp is shit.

But I'm getting a new one, should have it in 2-4 weeks biggrin_o.gif

So, of course, I have ordered ArmA.

Anyways, these are the components I'm considering;

-Cooler Master Centurion 534 case

-Seasonic M12 600W PSU

-Asus P5K Deluxe, P35 motherboard

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz 1333Mhz

-Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2 - 4GB (4x1024)

-Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

-XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB graphics card

-Samsung 22" LCD Syncmaster 226BW

I should (hopefully) be able to run ArmA decently on this system? I was thinking of getting an 8800GTX or Ultra with 768MB, but it is just overpriced I think - a 8800GTS with 640MB should be fine for ArmA?

I'm also considering different mouses - Logitech G5, MX518, Microsoft Habu, Razor Diamondback or Copperhead. Any thoughts on which one of those that works good with ArmA?

Keyboard; either Logitech G11 or the new G15 gaming keyboard - anyone have one of those? What's your opinion?

The 22" LCD, how is it playing ArmA on such a screen? I only have a regular 19" CRT at present. Does it utilize the full width (16:10 aspect ratio)? Any problem with ghosting, etc. on an LCD?

Last question is regarding OS. I'm planning on buying Vista Ultimate as the OS for my new rig... or should I continue with XP Pro? Have heard different stories about games not running all that well on Vista.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, tips or help on this smile_o.gif

Thanks for info, mate. Much appreciated. smile_o.gif

I was wondering if also my CPU is a bit crappy? I don't know as I'm far from a PC guru here, lol. Maybe one of you guys could answer that. I mean I was able to play RB6 Vegas, GRAW and GRAW 2 all maxed out with no lag at all--well except for Vegas but that was because of that annoying blur effect setting which only made me nauseous anyway lol. tounge2.gif

Anyhoo, thanks a lot for settings suggestion OFP! I owe ya a round of beer n' pool. rofl.gif

just overclock the hell out of it, that's what i've been saying to all core2 owners. great guide here

Hey everyone.

First post for me here (I played OFP since it was released in europe untill 2005). Haven't bought ArmA yet,because my old comp is shit.

But I'm getting a new one, should have it in 2-4 weeks biggrin_o.gif

So, of course, I have ordered ArmA.

Anyways, these are the components I'm considering;

-Cooler Master Centurion 534 case

-Seasonic M12 600W PSU

-Asus P5K Deluxe, P35 motherboard

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz 1333Mhz

-Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2 - 4GB (4x1024)

-Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

-XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB graphics card

-Samsung 22" LCD Syncmaster 226BW

I should (hopefully) be able to run ArmA decently on this system? I was thinking of getting an 8800GTX or Ultra with 768MB, but it is just overpriced I think - a 8800GTS with 640MB should be fine for ArmA?

I'm also considering different mouses - Logitech G5, MX518, Microsoft Habu, Razor Diamondback or Copperhead. Any thoughts on which one of those that works good with ArmA?

Keyboard; either Logitech G11 or the new G15 gaming keyboard - anyone have one of those? What's your opinion?

The 22" LCD, how is it playing ArmA on such a screen? I only have a regular 19" CRT at present. Does it utilize the full width (16:10 aspect ratio)? Any problem with ghosting, etc. on an LCD?

Last question is regarding OS. I'm planning on buying Vista Ultimate as the OS for my new rig... or should I continue with XP Pro? Have heard different stories about games not running all that well on Vista.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, tips or help on this smile_o.gif

thats a good system to run arma maxed out. Get a mouse that feels right for u, i personally have mx518 and love it, but it takes time to get used to it.

i would stick with xp for now, because theres so many problems with vista, and arma runs way better with xp than vista.

hi ofpforum

Ive got almost the same specs as you:

AMD X2 4200+

1gig ddr

x1650 512MB ATI

i have these settings:

Viewdistance 1200

res on 1024x768x32

Terrain Detail : Very Low

ObjectsDetail : Low

TextureDetail : High

Shading :High

Postprocess : Low

Anisotropic : Disabled

Shadows : Low

AA : Disabled

Blood : High

It is playable but still with fps drop in areas with trees bushes. Southern part of Sahrani and in towns its very playable. But in the Norht Sahrani it drops to low/very low fps.

I still believe that i could play it at better settings, dont know how.