Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Hardware and settings for ArmA

From this list - of course 2900 XT. Looks like it has performance similar to 8800 GTS but unlike Nvidia doesn't have serious issues in Arma. The 1950 pro, GT, 7900 GS and 8600 are pretty much on the same level of performance.

Q1184...he asked what the best card for ArmA would be! How can you say that the newest card in that list is the best thing for ArmA?

I just don't agree that the newest card is the best FOR ARMA.

I think its bad advice. confused_o.gif

This 'newest' card has been on the market for some month now. I also saw a review here on the forums where the guy was having very good results with this card and no issues whatsoever. I'm also preparing to change my current card, and the nr 1 candidate right now is 2900 XT. Nr 2 is 1950 XTX tounge2.gif

lmao ... you are recommending a card you yourself have not used, based on one guys experience with it.

I'll go with the Lead Developers opinion on whats best for his game. whistle.gif

I doubt it, do you know a good graphics card ( look at post before)? thumbs-up.gif

Does lowering your blood setting have any significant affect on FPS?

Not noticed any difference whatsoever when turning it from off to on, just seems to be purely cosmetic in difference. smile_o.gif

-Ziggy- @ Aug. 04 2007,13:35)]lmao ...  you are recommending a card you yourself have not used, based on one guys experience with it.

I'll go with the Lead Developers opinion on whats best for his game.   whistle.gif

suma picked one of two choices that were posted in another thread and they were 7950 GT vs 8600GTS.

he picked the 7950GT over the 8600GTS, that doesnt mean that the 7950GT is the best card for ARMA it just means that its better than the 8600GTS, and suma picked that over the other.

i use an ATI X1950XTX and i get good enough FPS considering i got a AMD X2 4600+ at 2.4Ghz.

Arma settings are 1680x1050, 3km view, all other settings at max and i still get 30+ FPS in Paraiso.

if i had an FX62, X2 6000+, or even the latest Core 2 duo, i'd get much better FPS then just upgrading my video card to one of the newer ones.

Does lowering your blood setting have any significant affect on FPS?

Not noticed any difference whatsoever when turning it from off to on, just seems to be purely cosmetic in difference.  smile_o.gif

alright, thanks, was just wondering

Will I be able to put max. settings with this graphicscard?

Diamond RADEON X1950PRO VIPER 512MB

well...i bought ASUS X1950Pro 256MB 581/1402MHz and I run ArmA v1.08 with:

Resolution: 1280x1204

Viedistance: 2000m

Terrain Detail: High (with tweaked grass)

Detail: High

Textures: High

Shading: High

PostProcesing: Low

Anisotropic: High

Shadows: Disabled

Antialiasing: Disabled

Blood: High

Detail: Normal

Textures: Normal

Shading: Normal

Shadows: Low

Plase note that ATI driver has nice feature, Adaptive Anti-Aliasing and can be enabled even if Antialiasing is set to Aplication Control and Disabled ingame. smile_o.gif.

On both 1. and 2. game runs 30 frames min. yay.gif.

Core2Duo E4400 @3.0Ghz

Gigabyte P35

1GB Elixir 800Mhz

Where can you find how to tweak the grass? Because grass is killing my performance.

Where can you find how to tweak the grass? Because grass is killing my performance.

depbo sara.pbo and use unRap to convert config.bin to config.cpp and play with folowing parametars:

Quote[/b] ]

clutterGrid = 3.110000;

clutterDist = 27;

noDetailDist = 20;

fullDetailDist = 0.200000;

minTreesInForestSquare = 2;

minRocksInRockSquare = 1;

Repbo sara.pbo and try it. Allthough this is risky since in mp games server will report u have modified sara.pbo, for me mod folder with sara.pbo won`t work...dunno why huh.gif

well...i bought ASUS X1950Pro 256MB 581/1402MHz and I run ArmA v1.08 with:

Resolution: 1280x1204

Viedistance: 2000m

Detail: High

Shadows: Disabled

Detail: Normal

Shadows: Low

Plase note that ATI driver has nice feature, Adaptive Anti-Aliasing and can be enabled even if Antialiasing is set to Aplication Control and Disabled ingame. smile_o.gif.

On both 1. and 2. game runs 30 frames min. yay.gif.

Core2Duo E4400 @3.0Ghz

Gigabyte P35

1GB Elixir 800Mhz

And with what graphicscard will I be able to put it on max settings?

big fart.

It's all the components working together that may get you max settings. Even if your system does become one that can run the game at its highest settings, chances are that you will want to turn some settings down due to personal preference.  Post processing doesnt seem to be very popular (I have it on low). AA turned to normal or off seems to be a very common setting also (I have it on normal). The strange thing about this game is it appears to run differently on identical systems.

Your monitor pays a large role in achieving max settings also. Pay attention to your choice of monitors native resolution.  If you have some uber screen that is like a 22" widescreen, max settings will be more difficult to maintain higher framerate than say a 19" (1280x1024).

There really is no right or wrong answer to "what is the best system to run ArmA on?"

Personally, I recommend the system in my ZigsRig link  wink_o.gif

ps, my monitor is a Viewsonic VX922 19"

Hey ziggy, i'll give you my (future ) specs:

cpu: Intel E6750 Core 2 DUO

ram: 2048 MB DDR2

motherboard: MSI P35 Sound + LAN = all together 1400 $

harddrive:320 GB 7200 rpm SATA

grafic: nVidia 8600GTS 512MB

CD/DVD: 18x DVD- burner

I'll probably exchange the graphics card to a Diamond RADEON X1950PRO VIPER 512MB ( pls. tell me wich ones better or even better other ones )

(future)Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 931 BW 19"

Hopefully I'll get high options...

P.s: your PC looks more like fridge than a computer yay.gif

Hi BigFart, I have a system pretty similar to the one you're going to buy:

Core 2 Duo 6750 (@stock 2,66 GHz)

Gigabyte 965P-DS3 MoBo

2 GB Corsair XMS2 RAM

Radeon x1950Pro 256Mb DDR3 (@stock clocks)

I'm running Arma on following settings:

Terrain Detail: Normal              

Object Detail: Normal    

PP: Low

AA: Low

AF: Normal

Shadows: Off

Resolution 1280x1024x32

VD 2000-4000 meters

I get very decent fps, even in the big towns min FPS is about 25, most times around 30. In open areas it can go up to 70 and more. Overally, the game always runs very smooth with no stuttering and stuff. Enabling shadows eats 5-10 FPS. Even though these are not the highest settings possible, the game looks very nice, so i think you won't be disappointed with the upgrade  wink_o.gif

P.s: your PC looks more like fridge than a computer yay.gif

and it runs as cool as one too.   wink_o.gif

with that TEC unit (thermo-electric cooling) my CPU runs at about 65 degrees ... FARENHEIT !   yay.gif

I cannot suggest anything other than what I have and what I am familiar with for a GPU. I've got an eVGA 7950GT 512mb, and I think its great.

I'm running Arma on following settings:

Terrain Detail: Very Low (no grass)              

Object Detail: Very High    

PP: Low

AA: Normal

AF: Very High

Shadows: High

Resolution 1280x1024x32

VD 3500 meters

I havent done any FPS test recently, but it looks great and runs smooth enough for multiplayer games.

Hi, I've got a:

Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)

ASUS P5ND2-SLI

2GB RAM

ATI Radeon x1800, 512mb

I can run ArmA with medium graphics with good frame rates (high enough for extra frame rate to not matter anyway) but as there is an increase of off-screen units (for example in Capture the Island games) it starts to lag to a point where it's hardly playable.

Would throwing one or two extra Gigs of Memory help with this or is there something else to it? smile_o.gif

Thnx for the replies Lance Vance (Qblabla..), ziggy and Mike

Can one of you maybe post a screenshot so I can see how it looks?

So I should be happy with the X1950 Pro Viper 512Mb or 7950 GT 512Mb or similar...

Hope to see y'all soon in multiplayer!

I checked out the United States Intelligence Gaming site that you're in ziggy, I like the mods that they have like the heli ones...sweet

I'll keep up on the posts! yay.gif

Hi, I've got a:

Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)

ASUS P5ND2-SLI

2GB RAM

ATI Radeon x1800, 512mb

I can run ArmA with medium graphics with good frame rates (high enough for extra frame rate to not matter anyway) but as there is an increase of off-screen units (for example in Capture the Island games) it starts to lag to a point where it's hardly playable.

Would throwing one or two extra Gigs of Memory help with this or is there something else to it? smile_o.gif

I'm more personally inclinded to argue that a Upgrade / Overclock in the CPU, or GPU department will give you great benefits. When I personally upgraded from 1GB to 2GB ArmA did'nt seem to run any different with regards to frame rates. But the PC as a whole is much improved ... smile_o.gif

good morning Big Fart.

I think you must be referring to this thread.

http://www.usi-team.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126&start=0

huh.gif  hmm, I do not want to promote misunderstanding here. USI have not created any mods. At least, not to my knowledge. Missions, yes, mods no. The game mods thread was created to showcase to our lazy members mods that the ArmA community has created. I have downloaded each of those mods and I recommend ppl try them out.

pm sent with pics

Hi guys

I want to buy this:

Radeon HD2900XT Palit 512MB GDDR3, 2xDVI, VIVO, PCI-E

DDR2 2048MB 800MHz OCZ Platinum rev 2.0 (2x1024MB, DualDDR2, CL4)

Asus M2N-E nForce 570 Ultra2xGBLAN, ATX

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ BOX (AM2)

Do you think that will be good hardware for ArmA?

I just want o play in v.high detail, res: 1280 x 1024, v.dist. 3000m, and have above 30fps in paraiso during fights smile_o.gif