Sign in to follow this  
NeMeSiS

Zmod (Crappy Zombie Mod)

charonos the attack animations are much better I think you have fixed them I have done many test and they all looked good everytime. Also when the zombies die I think you have fixed that to threw all of my test they have worked everytime you kill them and they fall to the groud they dont lag anymore

As far as bugs and fixes. ( I am not trying to be a as* or anything just trying to help you and give feedback

1. The sounds need just a little fixing, if you watched any of the zombie movies before the made a moaning sound, (only movies dawn of the dead 2004 made kinda a hissing sound) There was a moaning sound that I did hear when I was playing that was perfect it sounded awsome and was very scarry.

2. Alittle work on targeting system, In the older version I could place zombies all threw the map and they would hunt the living down.( I dont know if this is good or bad it has boths ways maybe get some feedback on this one, because you dont want a zombie running 2,000m to go kill a guy because the zombie should know he is not there) But I think waypoints should solve this prob.

3. This is a big one that could make this mod take off, as one person said b4 you have a few zombies in a city and within the city alot of civs, and as the zombies kill them they come back to life making the zombie army bigger, Just need to fix the prob that when they do come back to life they will be coved in blood so we know they zombies.

4. The last thing is that a zombie will kill a guy in 1-4 hits, right now it takes to long for a zombie to kill one guy.

I think if you could nail these 4 things down the mod would be almost perfect and people could make some awsome missions. THANKS charonos for all of your hard work, and I am sure the other people thank you to.

Thanks Drew77.

1. Well the choice of sounds really comes down to

what zombie preference one has. Italian zombies

tend to moan, american zombies snarl. smile_o.gif

Maybe i should introduce a global variable like

SNDFX="FULCI" or SNDFX="_ROMERO" biggrin_o.gif

2. The zombies can't make use of the waypoint system.

If so, a whole group would chase one guy and not

find the closest target for each individual unit.

The issue you are talking about has most likely to do

with the maximum distance that a move command can

be issued. I can insert a check and if the distance is very

high then helper waypoints can be used.

3. As i said earlier to have them covered in blood, i would have

to re-assign the selection textures for ALL UNITS IN THE GAME

That's alot of work. Setdammaging them is pointless,because they get weakened by that.

I would love to see them covered in blood too, but i think it's

not that easy.

4. I have already considered your suggestion to make the zombies score more damage per blow.

Great work,All we need is some resident evil units and we'll be set :P

i see two possibilities for making the infected units more.. Zombie like.

The first one is to spawn a zombie skinned dude instead of the same civilian, although it makes the infection easier to spot, it is less realist than the current way to do. ( quickly hacked the scripts to do so, work well).

The other way is to pump up their armour and make a setdammage so they get all covered in blood and wounds.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm in favor of a "simple" script like spawning a unit with a zombie skin attached to it.

Is it possible to change units' skin ingame, by the way ?

Regarding the latest version, I saw that the zombies have a tendency to hang around much more. Is it because I used the OLDSCHOOL parameter ?

Other than that, it keeps on getting better ! I hope every one could contribute to this addon with every little tweak and improvement we find !

Malick

I found a BIG problem...

I dunno how fixable it is, but it seems the zombies are totally ignoring obstacles, they can run through the doors, in fact i used a bus at a moment to secure the entrance of a building and the zombie simply ran through it O_o.

How do you take cover then ??

Well I think its more a bug in ArmA than in the mod. Many an AI can just go through walls and obstacles. So much for collision detection.

You'll have to wait for a patch to correct this bug.

Malick

@Malick

It is not that easy to change the textures in ArmA in contrast to OFP. The wound textures are embedded in .rvmat material files and there is no commands to change materials in a scipt.

About the zombies hanging around. One cause for that is if too many of them pile up in one place they all consider each other an obstacle and don't find a proper way to react.

Another cause is (only a suspicion) that issuing too many domoves

on the AI results in kind of an overflow.

They just refuse to go to their issued position for some reason.

It seems like a bug.

@DieAngel:

As Malick already said, it's not related to the zombies, that could have happened with every unit in game.

I noticed that in ArmA many static object such as buildings

have either poor geometry LODs or the bounding box collision detection with these objects is faulty.

Your suggestion with the armor values and the setdammage might work, i will try to find an approriate value.

It is not that easy to change the textures in ArmA in contrast to OFP. The wound textures are embedded in .rvmat material files and there is no commands to change materials in a scipt.

I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about face textures.

It should be possible to change one's face with a setface command in game:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">person setFace face

Has anyone tried this ? Or I'm just plainly mistaken... tounge2.gif

Malick

Yes it has actually been done now, just testing it and will upload it in a few hours.

So you will all finally get your bloody messy infected zombies! biggrin_o.gif

lol

Excellent news ! You're working fast charonos... Don't you have any life ? hehe

Too bad, I can't play anymore tonight sad_o.gif For sure, I'll try any new zombie that comes around, tomorrow !

Good night goodnight.gif

Malick

Yes it has actually been done now, just testing it and will upload it in a few hours.

So you will all finally get your bloody messy infected zombies! biggrin_o.gif

Great! notworthy.gif

The changelog for Version 0.55 which will be released today:

- Infected Units are now covered in blood

- Zombies now feed off the slain humans with an animation.

- New Zombie vehicle class "NeM Zombies Slow" that introduces

"Dawn of the Dead"-style zombies that walk very slow, but have a higher

armor. NEM_OLDSCHOOL tweak is therefore obsolete.

- New zombie classes. Pretty much all units in the game

can be used as default zombies/infected units in the editor

including Marian Quandt, the reporter and the prime minister

- Attack animations play now smoothly

- Zombies face now the attacked human and it happens less

frequently that they hit empty space.

Great !

I know what I'll test this evening wink_o.gif

Malick

Okay here the download link for the new version:

CZM V0.55

This is really coming along nicely now.

Bloody messy zombies that eat humans hehe.

Have fun with it. smile_o.gif

CZM55.jpg

Cool the new version sounds great biggrin_o.gif ,What can we expect in the next release? pistols.gif

The new version is realy good, I like that the infected now is covered in blood, there is a big bug however, when using the civilian infected, the soldiers won't shoot at them, but they are still attacking the soldiers, the soldiers do throw handgrenades though.

Finally i have found out why the soldiers don't shoot the infected units, it's because their armor value is too high, so they would even attack them with RPGs lol. I didn't consider this while trying to compensate for the damage they would score to appear bloody.

Hmm, looks like this needs to be done with a script that heals them slightly until they take a specific amount of damage.

This is all not very elegant though.

Maybe once the tools are released (if ever), it will be possible to assign the wounded materials to the units without having to damage them. I will see what i can do for now using EHs probably.

This is a version where the soldiers do use automatic weapons against the infected. However they are quite weak now and occasionaly they will be fired upon with RPGs still.

CZM V0.55a

Man charonos you are the best. I go to work all day and what happenes all of this in one day, I must say WOW. This makes me very happy after working all day and comming home to this makes me happy. I am going to test them right now.THANKS charonos biggrin_o.gif

I have done some test, and I must say so far so good only found a few things but dont bother me at all.

Some of the zombies are not covered in blood like the news guy and a few other are not, also the same units lag sometimes when they die. This are the only things I found wrong so far but like I said no big deal

For the next version, This is just what I think, I have seen alot of zombie movies and played alot of zombie games/mods. For the next version when the zombies walk slow maybe have a little better animation like in OFP I think it was horror pack 3 (Dont get me wrong the animation is great) but maybe tweak it if you can like there heads are cocked to one side and if it is possible make there arms stick out. This is what I think maybe inprove it.

But other than that I must say these are awsome, I love the new animation when the eat the guy when they kill him and it makes the game 10x better that the infected are covered in blood. Well going to play with the zombies more. THANKS AGAIN biggrin_o.gif

WOW thank you so much charonos again, If these is anything I could do for you just pm me and I will see what I cant do, this is just so wasome. I place one zombie in a city with about 200 civs and the infection just gets bigger and bigger. "For everyone they kill gets up and kills and everyone they kill gets up and kills"