Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Ask a moderator about the forum and the rules

that list of questions sounds like you're going to ask him out on a date rather than anything else tounge2.gif

Please, sir...these are just questions I wish to ask a moderator. tounge2.gif

Well, I was thinking some basic stuff for a 'get to know your moderators' type thread.

*Name

*Occupation

*Why you play OFP / ArmA

*Other interests in the community (Squads, webpages, addons e.t.c.)

*Why you became a moderator

*Name

*Occupation

*Why you play OFP / ArmA

[*]Morten Gundersen

[*]Norway

[*]IT-technician

[*]Because its so much fun huh.gif  (teamwork,coop,realism,freedom).

[*]Been a member of ASP since OFP was released. Also recently joined Volcbat as pilot. ECP member (testing and minor configs).

[*]Paul held me at gunpoint and asked if I wanted to become a moderator or else...

* Philipp

* Germany

* Student

* Because CiA Coops rule! (See what Shadow said...)

* Scripting/Coding

* Paul said he needs someone who's able to speak German...

Edited by raedor
removed the name

Well, I was thinking some basic stuff for a 'get to know your moderators' type thread.

*Name

*Occupation

*Why you play OFP / ArmA

*Simon Eady

*UK

*IT Manager

*"Realism", Scale, The Best Coop Experience

*Zeus Community, VCB (Volcbat), Former Joint UKF Mod Lead, I run the GOTF Website and host a few other sites.

*Paul invited me to join the mod team.

My Signature has been terrorized by the FluffyBunny Initiative.

Anyway, Rules are Rules, but it's a pitty you have to waste my time getting all the shitty colors, links, and all other crap back in while if I would've simply gotten a PM, it would've been changed in 2 seconds  thumbs-up.gif

The reason is very simple. I've sent you messages in the past without getting a response from you. So I was not about to wait and "hope" you would read this one.

The reason is very simple. I've sent you messages in the past without getting a response from you. So I was not about to wait and "hope" you would read this one.
Thanks for the Response. I see you sent me 1 Private Message in the past, 17 February. Please Excuse me for not responding to it, PM-box at times gets flooded by 10 messages at once, quite annoying.

<s>Can you guys explain wtf rule my sig broke???</s>

Nevermind.. I can see that now...

Thanks for losing all that info for me....

A PM would have fixed this. Seriously, I find that the boards here are far below a good customer service standard since a certain person has left.

Just disable the signatures altogether, that's a solution and a good one indeed. No signature problems anymore.

<s>Can you guys explain wtf rule my sig broke???</s>

Nevermind.. I can see that now...

Thanks for losing all that info for me....

A PM would have fixed this. Seriously, I find that the boards here are far below a good customer service standard since a certain person has left.

If you have something to say regarding how the board is moderated then do it in private. If you want to complain to the moderators, do that in private too.

Please get that flamebaiting remark about the moderators out of your signature or you might get a less polite PM. smile_o.gif

edit:

Everything has been worked out in private between Crashdome and myself in a positive way for both parties.

Just disable the signatures altogether, that's a solution and a good one indeed. No signature problems anymore.

"Your Control Panel" --> "Account Options" --> "Do you wish to view members signatures when reading threads?" --> "No" = Another happy person smile_o.gif

This "Avanced Member"-thingy is confusing.

In PM everybody is "Avanced Member" ??

When you get a real advanced member? My Status is ".." huh.gif

This "Avanced Member"-thingy is confusing.

In PM everybody is "Avanced Member" ??

When you get a real advanced member? My Status is ".." huh.gif

0-399 posts : ..

400-799 : Member

800-1499 : Advanced Member

1500-3999 : Arma/OFP fan

4000-9999 : Arma/OFP maniac

10000+ : I have too much spare time

"Your Control Panel" --> "Account Options" --> "Do you wish to view members signatures when reading threads?" --> "No" = Another happy person smile_o.gif

I did that already a long time ago, thank you anyways.

I meant, disable signatures COMPLETELY, so there is less crap visible when not logged in, and ESPECIALLY less crap for the moderators to moderate. I guess they can't make that change as then they would have seriously less work for them and would that be good? It is not difficult to do so, it is just a question of do the administrators want to do it; you would only need to delete code from template files, this does not do anything to what is in the database, only affects what is shown. Of course that's the way to do it if this forum software doesn't have a button for the admins to disable it, which I assumed to be the case as I can't remember if there is that button and am not going to check now...

It is not difficult to do so, it is just a question of do the administrators want to do it; you would only need to delete code from template files,

Its alot easier than that (selection box yes/no). Question is, can our inboxes handle all the complaints? wink_o.gif

I dont think its a question of them not wanting signatures... if that were the case... I assume they would have done so long ago also.

I think it's more a question of the rules. I, for one, hate large signatures like those found in other sim boards or amatuer boards (8 pics high and take up 3x more space than a post). My signature was a single line of text. The rule broken was that it exceeded 600px in width when viewed on a widescreen monitor (HTML was width = 100% instead of width=600px).

On one hand your argument is valid, but on the other hand they would have a lot less work also if the rules were a bit more realistic. (i.e. text wrapping on one screen is fine but another's screen it is considered breaking the rules seems hokey).

Two questions:

1. Why do you want to disable everything on this forum?

2. Why do you hate freedom?

Two questions:

Those were exactly the same 2 questions that came up to me smile_o.gif But I am afraid this is going a bit Off-topic smile_o.gif

Choices choices ppl, if you don't like something then change it. "Less crap when not logged in", well come on, simply login --> Problem resolved

Two questions:

Hey

1) I don't want to disable everything on this forum. Do not read from my posts something I did not write into them.

2) I definitely don't hate freedom. Do not read from my posts something I did not write into them.

3) Freedom, in my way of thinking, includes the freedom of giving suggestions here about how to get the actual valuable content, the discussions, have more weight in proportion to the non-valuable content like for example post count, member titles and signatures.

From a moderating point-of-view, signatures are a major headache. Just think about it for a moment please. Moderators must constantly view what kind of signatures people have. They must look if a signature follows some rules. Often the signatures do not follow the rules and moderators need to react, which then prompts angry responses from the people in question, possibly leading to a long-lasting unjustified hatred towards moderators. Great way to spend an evening right? I don't think so... The suggestion to disable signatures is certainly aimed to help moderators do their job. By disabling signatures they can direct their efforts into monitoring the significantly more valuable content on these forums, the discussions. I see moderating signatures as a giant waste of time. Some other people might see differently and I give them that right (as I appreciate freedom very much).

For me the signatures are not a problem as I can log in, select not to view signatures and thus get rid of all the crap in signatures. It is a much more pleasant experience to read the discussions that way, try it some time if you haven't already.

The suggestion to disable the signatures is meant for the administrators/moderators of this website to reduce their workload in maintaining the website, direct their efforts into something much more valuable and at the same time make the forums a much much tidier place for visitors to take a look at.

Best Wishes,

Baddo.

You made some good points here Baddo, keeping an eye on signature violations is a real pain sometimes.

On the other hand so far I had only one problematic user as I pointed him to his sig (I always ask to fix per PM first), everyone else apologized and fixed the problem immediately.

I'm against disabling the signatures though, it gives addonmakers, clan sites etc. the chance to "advertise" their work/service. Removing this option will lead to more problems and unhappy users then it does anything good.

Signatures are a means of expression/advertising clans/mods etc and an excuse to be creative. I don't see the problem as you can choose not to display them as already mentioned.  smile_o.gif

Some signatures are very cryptic though and make me wonder WTF is in the message! … <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>LOL much very!!</span> is my favourite puzzle ATM!  biggrin_o.gif

How come we cannot change thread titles? It seems dumb to accidentally type a thread title or have someone create a really misleading thread title.. and then we have to report it to a moderator... wait, and then hope they change it. It seems logical to allow users to edit the thread title. So then, people can simply say to the OP:

Please make thread title more descriptive... or

"Hey, this is a great thread, and from the direction its going, changing the thread title to B from A would make it that much better"..or

"Hey, this thread title says "My Mission v1.0!", but your on version 8.2!, Changing the thread title to "My Mission v8.2!" might make sense..