Sign in to follow this  
{9thInf}GunnyMeyer

Tightrolls

Okay, since this is a realism based game, I'm kinda surprised about this, but still the devs arent american, let alone Military men (in the US). There arent enough skins for the game with guys that dont have goofy little tight rolls. First, they are the Style that Marines wear, with the insides revealed. The Army does theirs with the cuff rolled on the outside so the cuff of the roll isnt discolored. That and the current rolls are clear down below the elbow. That and it just isnt all that tactical. I'm wondering if there are some guys here working on models or somthing to fix that. With the great graphics this game has, I would hate for it to look weird like this. Why not take advantage of the game and make it a realistic as possible?

You mention this, yet don't mention the fact you have an 'Army' Officer wearing a USMC-style 8-point cover, and numerous other issues. The game itself is realistic (ballistics etc.) yes, but many of the models have issues which cannot be explained.

Yeah, I completely forgot about that. So you have the Covers, Tight rolls... there are harriers for the Army... that isnt right either. And the Cobra is the only Ground attack helo. That is unrealistic also. But I would settle for a new player model that fixes just the uniform. The others I can ignore.

don't worry about it too much, like ofp the original game will not be all that realistic. It will be the mods that take it to the next level.

Ooooooh goodness! Call the senator! CALL THE PRESIDENT!

THE TIGHT ROLLS ARE WRONG! wow_o.gif

Believe me, everyone except an unfortunately large group of neckbeardeds to which you belong either not notice or won't care about such a non-issue.

And please explain to me how having correct tightrolls would add to realism?

THE TIGHT ROLLS ARE WRONG!  wow_o.gif

Believe me, everyone except an unfortunately large group of neckbeardeds to which you belong either not notice or won't care about such a non-issue.

And please explain to me how having correct tightrolls would add to realism?

Such petulance is discourteous and uncalled-for - even by

the low standard of argument typical of this discussion

forum. He is merely interested in eventually having the

soldier models realistically and correctly represented in all

their details. There is nothing wrong with this at all. He has

already adequately explained how it would add to a realistic

portrayal.

THE TIGHT ROLLS ARE WRONG!  wow_o.gif

Flaming and flamebaiting is not tollerated here.

WL1 for you.

Yeah, like Faulkner said, all I'm talking about here is accurate protrayal. I was just wondering if anyone was currently working on an addon with new unit models that did not include the rolls, or if anyone was planning on doing one like that. Either way I'm sure the game is great, just loved the 3rd party realism addons of OFP. Having correct tightrolls would actually make you feel like you are taking part in an Army/Marine/Sahrani operation. I know that in the Marines that if you run around with tight rolls down around your elbows like in game you get your butt chewed off. Just makes the game more believeable to the trained eye.

Your taking dress regulations a bit too far. I just did a "quick" search through hundreds of combat photos from Iraq and Afghanistan and your point doesn't hold up at all. Not one single image of anyone who took their time to roll them up that way. Maybe on base, but none in the field.

Odd request when there are bigger issues to address.

That was my point exactly. There is way too much of this incredible nit-picking and it's quite annoying.

prolly that guy also has regulations for peeing, and farting aswell  rofl.gif

honestly.. this might apply in a camp or somewhat during the bootcamp..

but im quite sure they dont give a da*n about that under fire...

i mean how idiotic would it look like if a seargent would order a private to roll up his sleeves correctly under enemy fire or in a patrol situation...

nonsense..

I wouldn't call his idea nonsense as i remember when a mod team were making jungle units, people were discussing wether the sleeves would be rolled up or down and some suggested it wouldn't be right to have them rolled up in a combat situation.

I can see were he's coming from when he mentioned the improper way they were rolled and even though it does sound like he's going too far towards realism just look at some of the addons that have been made for Flashpoint. Many of them have been made to look exactly like there real life counterparts ( Lasers units with smoke grenades attached for example) but without all the proper uses.

what about all the work that was put into PUKF soldier units and there customisable regimental badges, also BWMod and there different colour berets, OFrP added custom rank patches. So you see people do like the real thing even to extremes. Being a former soldier myself i wanted to represent myself ingame and PUKF allowed this.

How many of you have custom faces, if the ingame faces are adequit why change them. You do so because,

1) You can

2) You want to represent yourself ingame

prolly that guy also has regulations for peeing, and farting aswell  rofl.gif

honestly.. this might apply in a camp or somewhat during the bootcamp..

but im quite sure they dont give a da*n about that under fire...

i mean how idiotic would it look like if a seargent would order a private to roll up his sleeves correctly under enemy fire or in a patrol situation...

nonsense..

But then who would walk around on a tactical patrol with your sleeves rolled up into tightrolls. That isn't too tactical is it? Again, yes I am nit picking, but that is the point. This game is supposed to be the Ultimate Military Simulator. Well let's keep it that way and have absolutly everything right about the game. Why leave somthing wrong when you can fix it? Also, you don't notice the small things when under fire, so why use that as an example? You notice it when on a base, not under fire.

PS, thanks for the Support Mr. Reality.

What other equipment do the US Army of guys Armed Assault have in common with real life Marines? It seems like from what I've heard up until now, that the force on Sahrani is closer to Marines than to Army.

In other words, would it be more accurate to change the skins on weapons, personel and equipment to marine patterns? Do the US Marines use at4s, HMMWVs with mk 19s, etc? Do the Marines do the kinds of missions that the American force was doing in Sahrani before the war?

BTW, I support the criticism layed out by the original poster. It may not be in BIS's best interests to go into that kind of detail when researching for the game, but it's the sort of thing that realism mod makers should be all over... and it's not a difficult fix, either.

well

it says ulitmate combat simulator...

not ultimate us marine/army simulator....

well if the tools are released to the public go on and fix that BIIIG issue...

Wow, looking at the above post, you'd think that noone had been sarcastic on these boards before... wink_o.gif

And certainly not in this topic... icon_rolleyes.gif

well

it says ulitmate combat simulator...

not ultimate us marine/army simulator....

You can't really tick off unrealistic things of the Sahrani troops, seeing how there is no such thing as Sahrahni nor anything. You can't go look up uniform regs and Infantry Fighting doctrine with them. But you can with the US forces. And people wonder why only dings on US forces are picked out... Could this be why?

There are some stupid things on the Saharani uniforms. For example, the North Saharani pilots have US Army Air Assault wings on their shoulders, and the S Saharani officer in the cutscenes has the US Army Special Forces crest on his chest.

THE TIGHT ROLLS ARE WRONG! wow_o.gif

Flaming and flamebaiting is not tollerated here.

WL1 for you.

*** Censored ****

Anyway, I doubt there is many addon makers with a eye for details like that, esp since like been said most of the times in the field people look way diffrent.

Issue same cloth to 5 diffrent people and let them spend one week in a tent and it will look like they have nothing in common. (Some people get very dirty, some are always clean, some adjust their clothing one way, some another).

For more realism its not a correction of a model we need, we need variation, however I must say I personaly feel its good enough.

LOL ... when I first started reading this thread I though it was about the "tight rolls" that troops can do while laying on the ground .... but after I stopped laughing .... the rest of it tickled my funny bone.

If everyone wants to nip pick, then maybe there should be just *one* thread for that.

Then I'll add mine about the seagulls dont shit, no one has any nose hairs, the wounded dont scream for ages and the water doesnt *flop* onto the beach properly. biggrin_o.gif

I guess BIS should be comforted by items like this, I'm guessing the BF2 forums don't see such interest in detail wink_o.gif

Yeah, I completely forgot about that. So you have the Covers, Tight rolls... there are harriers for the Army... that isnt right either. And the Cobra is the only Ground attack helo. That is unrealistic also. But I would settle for a new player model that fixes just the uniform. The others I can ignore.

The harriers have Marines printed on the side as well as the Cobra...

Gnat @ Feb. 11 2007,03:53)]Then I'll add mine about the seagulls dont shit

oh man ! i always longed for that-even in ofp!! biggrin_o.gif

damn i acutally have gotten "bombed" by a seagull irl when i was sun bathing at a beach crazy_o.gif haha funny if there could be made playable seagulls and some people could be beach crowds that has to avoid getting "bombed" by seagulls! Hehe could be a small mp mission for a quick blast! biggrin_o.gif

but the best seagul experience was a old class mate of mine got his face "bombed" by a seagull when he was wathcing them and said how nice they are.... whistle.gif

everyone ran up to him with our water bottles screaming 911 ER!!! biggrin_o.gif

The harriers have Marines printed on the side as well as the Cobra...

Well, the Army doesn't use Cobras..but the Marines do, hence they would have "Marines" stenciled on the side. Further, the campaign explains why there is some random Marine equipment...but it doesn't explain why the Army "officers" are wearing Marine caps.