Sign in to follow this  
l mandrake

Please let us lock our vehicles!!!

Hi,

what I meant is, even if you don't know what you are doing, you still can touch the controls of a tank/any other vehicle in real life and so it must be in a game too. Otherwise you are creating artificial restrictions.

Of course, it is perfectly fine for a mission maker to do that, it's quite easy to do with the scripting commands if you want to.

BR,

Baddo.

I agree with you Baddo, I could get into a tank and surely affect it by pushing buttons and pulling levers. But could I controll it..? When it comes to choppers and jets I think its obvious that a "normal" persons cant do much good in the seat.

So what is more realistic? Have all soldiers trained to do everything, or lock vehicles for some classes?

Maybe the best would be to randomly alter the controls for the classes that shouldnt be able to fly? They can jump into a chopper and try to fly it, but you have to learn how to everytime unless you are a pilot  tounge2.gif

it can be fun when you are like seprate soldiers that just try to survive a total mayhem beach assault against 30-50 enemies and with your more limited team communicating abilites when you are ungrouped biggrin_o.gif add smoke and artillery barrages falling down randomly and some debris and stuff on the beach and people will get confused scared and try desperately to survive rofl.gif

no artillery and smoke or a.i scripts you just try to relax a little bit behind some debris and pop the enemy soldiers one by one when they try to swim a shore tounge2.gif

No need for a patch, it can easily be scripted in by the mission creator (well ... missions). I especially hate to see things hard coded that don't need to be, because it limits potiential. I mean what if someone required that the vehicles be constantly accessable for their mission to work? Not only that, but doing it by script allows the feature to be customized however the creator wants it. Also it seems a bit arcadish to me, not realistic at all, so it shouldn't be a default thing.

I hate replies like this. Are you serious? Not just for this, but for every single feature and suggestion made - it's much easier to turn off a fully implemented feature than to implement it or script it separately into every single mission that requires it. Also a feature can always be defaulted to off.

To those who think "keys" are required, they're not. The 2 implementations I've seen in other games are:

- internal locking mechanism while you're in the vehicle (could be via Action menu)

- a 2 minute timer locking mechanism after you leave the vehicle temporarily (so you can carry out repairs or other things without someone jumping in and driving off). If you die, the timer will unlock it.

No need for a patch, it can easily be scripted in by the mission creator (well ... missions). I especially hate to see things hard coded that don't need to be, because it limits potiential. I mean what if someone required that the vehicles be constantly accessable for their mission to work? Not only that, but doing it by script allows the feature to be customized however the creator wants it. Also it seems a bit arcadish to me, not realistic at all, so it shouldn't be a default thing.

I hate replies like this. Are you serious? Not just for this, but for every single feature and suggestion made - it's much easier to turn off a fully implemented feature than to implement it or script it separately into every single mission that requires it. Also a feature can always be defaulted to off.

But a hard coded feature cannot be modified, scripted features can. You must understand that this is a MISSION feature, not a GAME feature. Besides it can be done MUCH better with scripts than any universal hard coded feature. Especially something as easy to script as locking a vehicle (extremely easy), using a hard coded feature would be nonsense. Not that I care how easy it is anyway, scripting isn't supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be complex because that gives scripters more potential. Simplification means limiting, and nobody wants that. And that is why I hate when people want things to be hard coded for "simplicity" or dumbed down, because it prevents the people who have real potential (scripters in this case) from using it, only to let those who don't get away with being lazy.

Fully back up what Kyle said - it's a mission issue here. I used to wince and often scream in agony when mission makers would leave tanks, APCs and helicopters unlocked in missions, when use of these (especially the latter) would cause me to obliterate all enemy forces in the mission with minimal risk to myself, besides the fact that my character is sure as hell not trained in the operation of these machines.

And yeah, it's nigh on impossible to play this game with people unknown to you. I went up on a server last night out of boredom, and it was total chaos. Where are they training chopper pilots these days?

Well, one Idea is to make the controlls complicated enough to simply discurage noobs from using vehicles. On the other hand, not only noobs are using them after all, besides the question is: what to change? Will adding manual gears and the clutch to vehicles make the game better?

Personally I think It's not a bad Idea, as It would probably limit those Grand Theft Auto behaviours.

If someone made it so you could lock vehicles so you couldn't get in, the first thing I would do is run to all the vehicles and lock them so they're all mine. Then idiots couldn;t steal them in case I want them later, because after I touch them, they are of course MINE and MINE alone. Freaking Newbs.

I do however like this role restriction thing.. pilots for aircraft, crews for ifv and tanks, trucks and jeeps for everyone, and maybe restricting weapon classes exclusively for infantrymen. I think that would be neat.

With a countdown timer to unlock the vehicle when you leave, and a restriction to only allow you to lock one vehicle at a time it should work pretty well.

If someone made it so you could lock vehicles so you couldn't get in, the first thing I would do is run to all the vehicles and lock them so they're all mine.  Then idiots couldn;t steal them in case I want them later, because after I touch them, they are of course MINE and MINE alone.  Freaking Newbs.

No, this is not what I meant at all. All I want is to be able to lock the vehicle WHILE YOU ARE INSIDE IT. As soon as you get out or are killed (but the vehicle is not completely destroyed), it's unlocked and is anybody's.

By all means add class restrictions as an option for some games (only pilots can fly etc), but leave other games as a free-for all, especially on public servers where co-operation is minimal.

Mandrake

The only way to lock a Humvee is to wrap a cable around the steering wheel and connect both ends with a lock, it's not like there are keys that go into an ignition or something. I would imagine every other US military vehicle is the same way.

I agree with the class restrictions ideas.

Heheheh, steering lock addons for all!

0380043AE02UC24447X.jpg

But yeah, Clavicula has a point, locks on the doors arent really common on mil vehicles. They secure H-47 Chinooks with a chuffing great padlock on the forward cargo door, thusly:

padlock.jpg

Not exactly practical from a realism point of view. But yeah it would be excellent to stop the n00bs (or just plain idiots) jumping in your perfectly positioned vehicle and driving you to your death.

Would agree that its better implimented by the mission maker than as an option in the game its self.

And the class restriction ideas are simple to implement into missions. No need to patch the game.

i like the lock timer and lock one vehicle at a time. ive actually been thinking about it too. also seems to be the only solution..and maybe they could implement the honor sustem, higher honor, more trust with the peices of metal thumbs-up.gif

but ofcourse they will have to add pick lockers or somethings like that. cant think...brain..hurts lol rofl.gif

Oh christ it's started already, ok tell you what, all those people that dont sit at home all day playing games and actually work and have real lives aren't allowed to play the game to its full extent because they dont have enough in game time and "honor", would this make everyone happy (apart from the people that have RL and work during the day of course)

If you want to play with serious players, join a squad and buy your own server space, but dont start calling people childish names because someone takes a piece of equipment that they might not know was "yours".

I will look out for any vehicles or bits of kit with your name stamped on them in bright orange paint, wouldn't want to be called a "n00b now would I?

If you want a game that is all yours, start a bloody LAN game, although no doubt the "n00b" AI will run off with your Humvee as well.

Oh christ it's started already, ok tell you what, all those people that dont sit at home all day playing games and actually work and have real lives aren't allowed to play the game to its full extent because they dont have enough in game time and "honor", would this make everyone happy (apart from the people that have RL and work during the day of course)

If you want to play with serious players, join a squad and buy your own server space, but dont start calling people childish names because someone takes a piece of equipment that they might not know was "yours".

I will look out for any vehicles or bits of kit with your name stamped on them in bright orange paint, wouldn't want to be called a "n00b now would I?

If you want a game that is all yours, start a bloody LAN game, although no doubt the "n00b" AI will run off with your Humvee as well.

Well if the vehicle was locked then you wouldn't accidentally steal it now would you? Would be more effective than your "bright orange paint" idea. tounge2.gif

The soldier-type restriction sounds interesting and logical because also the type of armor, equipment and weaponry is different in each case (driver, pilot, infantryman).

As for locking a vehicle, yeah, it makes sense that you should be able to lock 1 vehicle for yourself - heck, better yet to make an option menu of wether you want to lock the whole vehicle just for yourself, or just the driver position for yourself and the rest of the vehicle's slots just for your squad (because there can be different squads, right?), or the driving seat belongs to you and the rest of the vehicle is open to the rest of all your friendlies. In any case, anything more complex than a Humvee should be simply unavailable to enemy forces except for maybe spec-ops... Just had to mention that because my most beautiful kill in OFP was with the original MP Demo, CTF, I was a soviet running around a tank, the other guy was trying to squash me, I kept evading for so long that he got out of the tank, I got in and squashed HIM! rofl.gif

I remember that Psycho Killer mission had a great feature where police could lock their cars... (setfuel=0?)

I remember that Psycho Killer mission had a great feature where police could lock their cars... (setfuel=0?)

No it's not the setfuel command tounge2.gif . There is a command to lock the vehicle. SetLockStatus or something.

inlove.gif

I think it's GREAT when you take someones vehicle and then run him and his pals over! AHahahhAHAH!! rofl.gif

Look, part of the goal with this game is that you're able to do everything. That's a great part of what ofp was so praised. Run around gunning, jump in a jeep, drive for 30 minutes to the other end of the massive playing field, get in a plane and bomb someones backyard and bail out and commandeer a battletank.

If you added hardcoded; meaning default for all missions, locking functions or soldier class restrictions this goal would be blown in many pieces.

It's fine that mission designers can do their thing and add whatever they like including locks and whatnot, that's Also part of why the game is praised. But making it default is not something all favours.

Jackasses steal your humvee. But jackasses also lock humvee's so you can't get em in the first place. Think about that.

Exactly! Let people do whatever they want. pistols.gifgoodnight.gif

Look, part of the goal with this game is that you're able to do everything. That's a great part of what ofp was so praised. Run around gunning, jump in a jeep, drive for 30 minutes to the other end of the massive playing field, get in a plane and bomb someones backyard and bail out and commandeer a battletank.

If you added hardcoded; meaning default for all missions, locking functions or soldier class restrictions this goal would be blown in many pieces.

It's fine that mission designers can do their thing and add whatever they like including locks and whatnot, that's Also part of why the game is praised. But making it default is not something all favours.

Jackasses steal your humvee. But jackasses also lock humvee's so you can't get em in the first place. Think about that.

Too right mate.

it could be done by scripting

in moment driver enter vehicle he sets ownership on vehicle (works max for 1 vehicle at time)

in moment owner leave vehicle he can select within timeframe A (server settings) if he wish or not to lock vehicle for timeframe B (server settings)

and what group (side, squad w/e again server settings)

vehicle under this timer stop receive "damage" and "fuel loss" while in idle state

also such vehicle stop to prevent new vehicle to spawn at original vehicle spawn ...

certain classes could get e.g. time bonus at certain vehicles (like sniper at jeep) ...

now just get mood to write it into script(s) smile_o.gif