Sign in to follow this  
nigelbland

Demo today....WOOT

" do feel that grass reduces AI's ability to spot target. If i order friendly to go prone it seems not to spot and shoot as good as kneeling guy"

Ya lost me here on this.

It reduces YOUR A.I. buddies ability to spot targets. But NOT the enemy A.I.s. lol No offence intended. But don`t worry bout your friendly A.I.s abilities, worry about the x ray enemy A.I.s.

The enemy reaction time seems alot faster so far than my ability to spot, and return fire. Altho, I am liking the demo immensely. Some obvious fine tuning is still in order here and there.

As i said i'm confused with it. Most likely i'm just imagining things wink_o.gif

That HDR sucks!!! Sun makes player blind even if it's high in the sky. Walls of building shine like they were mirrors (not even plains of snow make that kind of effect). shadow darkers EVERYTHING player sees. Either whole system is broke or i need to tweak thing little bit more... OFP modelled sun better. That's what i think right now.

I'm not enjoying it. I feel just like playing some new OFP's mod sad_o.gif Fancy at start, but not anything great new things... Well JIP is a good thing.

Hi all  nener.gif

First of all I want to thank Bohemia Interactive for releasing a demo of Armed Assault  smile_o.gif

I have noticed serveral performance issue's and I hope this will and can be addressed later on in a patch..

To start I want to give some more info about the system I'm currently running..

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

AMD FX60 ( @ 2.8 )

4x 1GB Corsair TWINX C2 Pro (PC3200)

Asus 7900GTX ( SLI )

WD Raptor 150GB

System is cooled by Innovatek

(All latest drivers installed)

I did try to run the demo @ 1280x1024 with all other grapics settings at "high" but the result is and was very disapointing, did have lags with my grahics and by that the aiming did become very difficult to actualy hit something..

I hope that the first thing the developers will do is to address these enormous performance issue's before anything else otherwise the game will be unplayable for al lot of gamers who are not having such high spec's.. I know the settings can be turned down BUT to my opinion with the current spec's I'm running it should at least be possible to have a decent graphics resolution, running my settings higher in BF2 btw without having any HW lags..

Did found some more issue's about AI and tweaks but will post this in the relevant topic...

Other then that the grahics and the game are unbelievable and I'm sure it will be a blast once all issue's are fixed.. Hopefully that in all EU country's the game will be released rather sooner then later so that we can setup a dedicated Coop server and have some fun pistols.gif

Thank you and Merry XMas everybody  xmas_o.gif  xmas_o.gif

Regards,

Spender

I'm not expecting I'll be able to run the game, but nevertheless I downloaded the demo and hoped for the best, but I can't even launch the setup! Now, I know you don't need the latest graphics card to launch a setup program, so why is my PC freezing when I try to launch it?

Hello,

Just some first impressions of the demo.

Having a few dayes off during christmas, I'm thankfull you managed to get the demo out before a, as I presume, well deserved holiday. I really appreciate it, as I've been eager to see what Arma has to offer.

I seem to be lucky, sitting on monster machine (specs to follow), which seems to run the game very well. I have all settings maxed out at a resoution of 1360x768 (23" widescreen, 16:9 aspect ratio I belive).

The widescreen I'm playing on is the first problem I have. Maybe I'm on a wrong setting somewhere or something, but when on the "mapscreen", it has a 4:3 aspect ratio, which makes use of only part of the monitor. This also renders the items and text quite small, and as I can see the text isn't "anti-aliased", it makes the text quite hard too read on the mapscreen. It's managable but I'd prefeer the text to be more smooth for easy read.

(Optional anti-aliasing on text perhaps?)

Other than that my only complaint seems to be that some keyboard commands have changed from OFP, but that's just a matter of getting used to them.

I belive it was Maruk (earlier in this thread) who addressed the lack of dedicated server support for the demo and that it's coming (as to my understanding), which is good that you are aware of it. As it is now, it's most of the time very hard getting into a server with a satisfying ping. I belive the Gamespy MP browser is also much too blame for this too, as I've set filters to show only servers under 50 in ping, but still getting into games (99% of the time actually) with 400-1000 in ping. Leaves a rather bad first impression with all the lagg, but I know what you lot are capable of and I'm sure you will address this.

I've had some fun by myself with and against the AI in the coop mission and the CTI mission.

Also, I'm happy to report that my TrackIR 2 works great with this game, although lacking the latest iterations of this nifty little gadget's 3D movement.

And as I wrote in the beginning that I would post my specs, here they are in short:

AMD 64 X2 5200

2gb

ATI Radeon 1900xtx

23" Diboss monitor

Finally, I just want to wish you all a Merry Christmas, and I hope you'll all have a good time with your friends and family.

And a special "cheers" to the "old gang".

Happy holidays everyone xmas_o.gif

(and I'm sorry for spelling misstakes and grammatical errors, if any, but as usual I blame the beer wink_o.gif )

*edit*

I seem to still have the good old OFPN avatar, I'll keep it for good old times sake, I hope noone minds. cheers

/ *edit*

Ohhh dear... Now I understand why the ratings of this game where so low... confused_o.gif

This doesn't feel like OFP. The radioystem made me laugh, when crawling around it sounds like playing in a sandbox, everything is so unclear and this gras takes completly the view while liying on the ground... Seems like the AI takes full advantage of not beeing seen... crazy_o.gif

Each time I skip to windows for chatting, the game has to load 15 seconds... it even does this after looking at the map.

The controlls are terrible... I couldn't really aim, and everything feels so undirect...You press a button and than you have to wait for a wee while, until you really move...

BIS, why did you change so much, what was just perfect in OFP? crazy_o.gif

I'm glade I didn't buy the game and waited for the demo... I really hope you can get out of this beta phase and patch the game to at least 1.0 huh.gif

ps.

To be fair I have to praise you for the graphics, which are looking fine smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'm glade I didn't buy the game and waited for the demo... I really hope you can get out of this beta phase and patch the game to at least 1.0

Demo is 1.03

I was testing the netcode yesterday and it seems for a private host (non dedicated server), the netcode is just as bad as OFP. With more than 8 people, it would become unplayable. Thats what my system could handle. In OFP it was well over 12 people.

For the guy who doesn't want to make a video because he doesn't want to prove me wrong, then shut up about it and move on. wink_o.gif

Heh well I managed to install it, but as was to be expected I can't run it. Crap!

Please give me €500 for a GeForce 8 pretty pleaaase wink_o.gif

woop!, got rid of my little HDR lighting problem, and now with my recent discovery of a dynamic overclocking utility, im having a great time.

Brilliant game, feels really solid, the sounds are good, the visuals are supurb and the anims are brilliant,

apart from mabe a slight drop in framerates, its really very good

well done bis and thank you, and thank you to all the community, this is SHWiiNG wishing you all a merry christmas! xmas_o.gif

Would you mind sharing this Dynamic Overclocking Utility with us please Shwiing? biggrin_o.gif

I spent all day overclocking my GPU but any new approaches to it would be appreciated =)

woop!, got rid of my little HDR lighting problem...

How did you do it then SHWiiNG? I had it working last night, boot up the game tonight and bam, i've got the dark light dark light scenario again...

I wish there was a way of clean disabling HDR in ArmA... it does my nut in in Source engine based games and the like.

For the guy who doesn't want to make a video because he doesn't want to prove me wrong, then shut up about it and move on. wink_o.gif

Or alternatively, you could shut up with the repeated and excessive bitching and moaning and whining and complaining and move on? smile_o.gif

Nevermind, I worked it out in the end. I tried playing with all the settings variables with no joy... HDR madness. So, I uninstalled and reinstalled the demo. Problem gone.

I went through the process of testing for what the problem could be. Turned out to be the resolution I was running at. Whenever I switch it to 1280x1024x32 (my native TFT res.) I get dark light dark light syndrome. Bringing this down to 1280x960x32 or below fixes the problem. Weird, eh?

Here is a short video of the effects that I was experiencing:

That is just out in the open. When running between buildings, in shadows, in buildings, out into the light roads, it is quite horrific on my eyes. The observed effects are in no way exaggerated in the video, and if you imagine that stretched across a 20" TFT, you can begin to see how irritating it could be.

For you techies to get to grips with, if it is of any use...:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ Stock Clock (~2.2Ghz)

1024MB DDR 533Mhz

ATi Radeon 9800Pro 128MB w/ Cat 6.12s Installed

I'll be upgrading to an X1650Pro 512MB soon, so hopefully that should help things out too.  smile_o.gif

Maybe BI could offer the option to disable the HDR effects in a future patch? I appreciate the whole 'advantage/disadvantage' argument, but it would be nice to run at my TFTs native resolution (anything else and stuff just looks... bad.) and maybe without HDR, as a massive performance gain would be made.

I wouldn't necessarily get rid of HDr,but moreso how it works. I don't really get the effect of the light changing as my aimpoint moves,but nontheless I do get the "weather change with direction". If they could change this then it would be perfect.

Finally! After waiting all these years for the sequel to OFP I finally get my hands on the demo of Armed Assault! I played OFP until my eyes bled and rank it in my own personal top five games of all time, so it was with great anticipation that I downloaded the AA demo and fired it up for the first time. I have a top of the line rig so wasn't bothered by having to set graphics to low.

My initial impression? Ugh. I waited five years for this? My hope is that between now and sometime in the near future modders can turn this into something great. I guess my expectations were too high, but I'll give it a second, third, and fourth chance because OFP took awhile to grow on me and maybe AA will too.

I really wish there was a way to disable HDR. It is really overdone in this game, your eyes change far too quick and it is annoying the way sometimes your screen blinks light and dark from you firing an MG.

My initial impression? Ugh. I waited five years for this? My hope is that between now and sometime in the near future modders can turn this into something great. I guess my expectations were too high, but I'll give it a second, third, and fourth chance because OFP took awhile to grow on me and maybe AA will too.

Well said smile_o.gif

in reply to recent questions namely those which ask about overclocking and HDR lighting .. well, it all depends on your GFX card, if you have an RADEON Card here are my settings, as shown in catalyst control center

SMOOTHVISION HD Anti Aliasing = 6X + Temporal Anti-Aliasing

SMOOTHVISION HD Anisotrophic filter = 16X + no other setting

CATALYST AI = DISABLED

MIPMAP DETAIL LEVEL = HIGH QUALITY

### MAY BE KEY##WAIT FOR VERT REFRESH = OFF

ADAPTIVE ANTI ALIASING = OFF

API SPECIFIC SETTINGS

GEOMETRY INSTANCING = ENABLED

SUPPORT DXT TEXTURE FORMATS = ENABLED

ALTERNATE PIXEL CENTRE = DISABLED

OPEN GL

TRIPPLE BUFFERING = ENABLED

FORCE 24-Bit blah blah = ENABLED

thats pretty much it, erm i did change the Gamma settings and refresh rate using that menu but those are my main settings

now onto my Overclocking tool, well im afraid this may come as a disapointement, as i have an ASUS motherboard, i have simply enabled an option that overclocks my CPU in accordance to the task that is running, but regardless, im still getting dropped frame rates in some places, which is a shame but those who are havving problems with their HDR, i hope this helps.

oh i have a question, why is it that in the DEmo, there are no explosion or impact sounds for the RPG? or indeed the AT launcher, theres an fireing sound but no big BOOM. lol

I tried the mp demo on a AMD 3500+ and 7600GT PC.

The setting is @normal for almost everything. AA and AF are also set to normal.

Although framerate is low compare to other FPS(around 23 or less), the graphics and animation are really good and the framerate I have is definitely playable. And I have a few issues about the demo.

1. The view distance slider doesn't seem to work?or just me?

2. The auto-level vehicle control is ...well not good, I think alot of OFP player would prefer the vehicle control of OFP.

3. The high HDR setting cause quite a hit on fps.

Thanks BIS, keep up the good work!! It's better than what I expected since I read too many negatives about ArmA before trying the demo.

and Merry X'mas all!!

oh i have a question, why is it that in the DEmo, there are no explosion or impact sounds for the RPG? or indeed the AT launcher, theres an fireing sound but no big BOOM. lol

I have the same issue Shwiing...

Can you check something for me? Go into your game, on the main menu check to see what build you have, i have build 5108... and i read somewhere that this is the wrong build.. maybe thats causing the lack of sounds?

Can you check something for me? Go into your game, on the main menu check to see what build you have, i have build 5108... and i read somewhere that this is the wrong build.. maybe thats causing the lack of sounds?

Funny that. I have Version Number: 1.03.5109

I'm lacking any form of explosion sounds, also (bar frags). A bit disconcerting when you're playing a huge CTI game, fire at a T80 and can't actually tell if you hit it or not due to the smoke flying everywhere.

A large *BOOM* would be much more reassuring, as said! biggrin_o.gif

Yeah 5109 is what you're supposed to have, but i downloaded 5108 from file planet.. i downloaded it as soon as it was released on FP...

I have no explosions on any grenades, tank shells, rockets etc, i hear them launch... no explosion sound... i raised this already in the troubleshooting forum

All the demo servers lag like hell it's ruining the demo.

Lastnight i tried for an hour to join a server.i only join ones with 3 ticks in the ping but it's impossible to play the demo with lag like that.

Dedicated server needed badly,but bis are on holiday now right ?

this is fooked.

great game though.

Yeah 5109 is what you're supposed to have, but i downloaded 5108 from file planet..

Ah right. Well, apart from grenades, you're not missing out on much. I get the RPG/M136 launch sounds, but no explosions whatsoever. Odd.