Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Changing to map when flying

I am having problems when flying to where i want to go. If i switch to map view it has to load the map, where in ofp it just did it straight away, meaning i somtimes crash in between the map change. Anyone know of a better way to get to your choosen destination.

For online you have the option to press "Esc" which brings up a mini map, but the problem with this also is you lose total control of your vehicle until you press Esc again.

The only option for single player is M for map and it's also really pissing me of compared to the OFP map that had no delay switching it on and off.

BIS really needs to have a mini map that can be configured to a different key other then Esc that brings up no options like Esc does so we can continue to control our vehicles with the mini map that works for both offline and online.

In SP the game is halted while reloading the map, so you won't have any problems there. wink_o.gif

Yeah, and there should be "disable minimap" option for veteran servers (if arma has ones, dont have the game yet).

No 3rd, tags ... and other noobish cr*p.

In real world it takes time to get the map out of the pocket, and there is no moving markers on it! And i already love the msp loading idea! Be real! nener.gif

Yeah, and there should be "disable minimap" option for veteran servers (if arma has ones, dont have the game yet).

In real world it takes time to get the map out of the pocket, and there is no moving markers on it! And i already love the msp loading idea! Be real!  nener.gif

In the real world there's such things as GPS with detailed maps that tell you exactly where you are. This would obviously be more for vehicles etc.

Whilst it may be troubling it's not a troubleshooting issue, moving to general.

so, is this an engine limitation? i read at the morphicon forum, if you switchs back from the map to the game, the game has to reload the graphic, and this should be the reason why there is an loading screen. is this true?

You get the same thing when you Alt-Tab out of most games these days, they have to reload all the graphics etc. The loading screen, not the crashes.

In real world it takes time to get the map out of the pocket, and there is no moving markers on it! And i already love the msp loading idea! Be real!

LOL, i was talking about flying thats if you care to read the post before posting. So you think that Helicopter pilots, or pilots in jets just pull a map out of there pockets. LMAO, go and look at a real life cockpit and look at the thing called the GPS map. This isn't spitfires where flying here. Its also not a worldwar 1 sim  nener.gif  nener.gif I just want somthing that acts like a GPS while i am still in control of my flight.

Real pilots have a map in a see-through pocket on top of their thigh too.

Real pilots have a map in a see-through pocket on top of their thigh too.

I would presume thats incase they get shot down or to use as a secondary reference incase of an emergency, but whatever reason. I want somthing that acts like a GPS and is not going to make me lose control of my flight while using it. The loading screen to map and back is a nightmare while flying as is the Esc. why don't we have a mini map for the helicopters and planes, that can be switched on and off while we are still incontrol in flight.

In real world it takes time to get the map out of the pocket, and there is no moving markers on it! And i already love the msp loading idea! Be real! nener.gif

As a pilot you have the map tied to your leg so you can easily look at it while flying ...

But I do support the argument of taking time to read the map as infantry.

Uuups, sorry for duplicting this. was to quick to read the next reply ;-)

Quote[/b] ]In SP the game is halted while reloading the map, so you won't have any problems there. wink_o.gif

So playing the game on the map, CoC style, is no longer possible? Or is the game only paused during the reload process, not the actual viewing of the map?

-enlighten me- help.gif

I know BAS had a display in there choppers that viewed the map and your rough position on it.

Mabey its also posible to make that into ArmA.

Putting it simply, if your driving, flying or sailing the current map loading issues are completely unacceptable. BIS needs to find a way of overcomming the problem.

I'm also very pissed off about this, whether you're an infantryman, pilot or crewman, you always need to load the bloody game when putting away the map.

Now, if they could have done something with it, so you may be able to see slightly through the map, that'd be much better.

No, in stead they put up a massive solid loading screen so you can't even move or see what in earth you're doing.

Isn't it possible to make it like an overlay, like the compass/watch does ?

- Viper

And the kicker is: OFP handled it just fine!

Why keep a winning team when you can turn them into crippled losers?

huh.gif

And the kicker is: OFP handled it just fine!

Why keep a winning team when you can turn them into crippled losers?

huh.gif

Yes and 500 years ago we could walk naked over the streets because there weren't so many ppl yet, and and and and and.

Things change, progressions are made, sacrifices need to be made aswell.... We wanted great graphics, we got them, but due to the new graphics engine (probably the time needed  to program the gpu), needs the loading screen...

They might even optimize it better in the future, possibly... who knows...

Besides, in Multiplayer you can work together as it should inside vehicles right? And in Singleplayer it pauses the game anyway, so what's the big deal.

How about changing the colors of the directional indicator to BLACK so we can F@!#$% see it?!?!?!?! How about allowing us to use the compass in flight?!?!?! What about a "static" mini-map in the corner?

In most cases you can't tell what direction you are flying in and have no choice but to look at the Map or Mini-map every 30 seconds. Then reload and crash into the ground, another plane, a tree, a building, or to DESKTOP. smile_o.gif

Is there something I/WE can edit to make that directional indicator black? At least. PLEASE

It takes most of the fun out of flying. I find myself running or grabbing a vehicle rather than "hastle" with aircraft. Especially in a CTF match, since you could crash and TK your own guys. Nobody likes a knob.

Take a chillpill dude... pfff

I don't have problems finding the direction im flying by watching the topside... and I don't think that pilots in reallife will pull out their compass every few seconds/minutes m8... they got instruments like we do in arma..

The instruments are not sufficient. they can navigate you in a direct line, point A - B, but not an indirect rout ( to evade detection ).

Where having 2 or more crew is not imposible generally, its not possible at all if your the unfortunate harrier pilot whos been radiod a Grid ref to find and hits a mountain while trying to load his bleedin map screen. A second crewman might not like being strapped to a weapons pilon on his wing to act as a Navigation aid.

i agree, in single player, where the game pauses this is not an issue, but im Multiplayer is a a huge wart on the games Arse.

Take a chillpill dude... pfff

I don't have problems finding the direction im flying by watching the topside... and I don't think that pilots in reallife will pull out their compass every few seconds/minutes m8... they got instruments like we do in arma..

Yeah I chilled. Wasnt really pissed about it, I just figured I would add some "drama". biggrin_o.gif

And no they don't pull out the compass, because most have a GPS screen they can see; right?. smile_o.gif , As well as a directional indicator they can see in plain view. (at least the last time I got to ride in a helicopter they did ... back in 1987)

You really don't have a problem seeing the white letter directional indicator against the white clouds? What is your trick? Please do share. I love flying and directional navigation is the only issue that I have noticed.

I am not a programmer, but I think perhaps coding an option to change the Text colors, or at least that 1 color would be far more simple than adding a GPS to first person, or a static mini-map. no?

And playing on that same note ... have you noticed your controls lock up when you bring up the mini-map? Maybe just unfreezing the controls... so you don't lose control function?

I dunno the solution, chances are BIS already has it fixed in the next patch. I could just be babbling about something BIS did intentionally to have something to "fix" later. huh.gif

This may come as a surprise to many of you, but...

In real life, when you look at a map:

1. There is a delay!

2. You must divert your attention from your piloting, putting you at risk of running into things!

Doesn't an Acrobat map come with the game? Just print it off and look at it in your lap. That's a lot more realistic than pressing an 'M' key, anyway.

This may come as a surprise to many of you, but...

In real life, when you look at a map:

1. There is a delay!

2. You must divert your attention from your piloting, putting you at risk of running into things!

Doesn't an Acrobat map come with the game?  Just print it off and look at it in your lap.  That's a lot more realistic than pressing an 'M' key, anyway.

1. There is no delay with a GPS screen infront of you (you obviously have never used a GPS while in a car) GPS is the best navigation tool invented by man aslong as you dont run out of power, would only be a problem with a hand held one. GPS systems can record exactly where you have been within meters so you can follow that path in future, works great for 4wd trips.

2. lol are you serious, I guess all these high tect navigation systems in choppers and planes are just there for looks then.  crazy_o.gif