Sign in to follow this  
IDF-Godzilla

BTR-4 Armoured Personnel Carrier

Hey everybody, i decided to start working on a new APC for ArmA, this is the BTR-4 APC that is being used in the Ukrainian armed forces and is highly modified vehicle with many versions.

I'm thinking on adding it to the Saharani forces in game.

1jf8.jpg

nice, although with normal mapping in Arma, couldn't one argue that those rivets and the recessed pannels on the near side are overkill?

nice, although with normal mapping in Arma, couldn't one argue that those rivets and the recessed pannels on the near side are overkill?

You could do that, but it wouldn't look as nice.

Looks sweet! could we see some wires? smile_o.gif

I like it a lot, but I agree. I would add the bigger stuff, and then if there's poly's to spare add the rivets.

Keep the panels, though. wink_o.gif

Abs

Keep the panels, though. wink_o.gif

I meant the recessed ones on the side, not on the top - I agree those should stay, but the recessed ones can be done equally well with normal maps

Thanks for the comments guys, now i have a question.

Since i haven't made a lot of OFP models and addon's and this is my first and serious one, how to i make the interior?

With the base model or in a separate model?

Can someone that made a good APC vehicle for OFP explain how did he modeled the whole thing?

As for the wire:

wireyd7.jpg

you should not use boxes putted in other faces, it's sometimes going crazy with z-buffer ...

just cut those planes and extrude smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]you should not use boxes putted in other faces, it's sometimes going crazy with z-buffer ...

just cut those planes and extrude smile_o.gif

Well i will do that thanks for the advise but at the current time when not everything is finished i prefer it this way, its easier for me to change and fix stuff on the chassis.

Almost done with the base model, need to work on the rear part of it and suspension.

2do9.jpg

Very nice indeed.

Adding another thread to my "to follow list"  biggrin_o.gif

Looking nice so far...

Quote[/b] ]how to i make the interior?

All depends imho what you want. Let me explain myself, if you plan to have animated doors or hatches it would be logic to have (semi) interieur as you will look inside. This is offcourse something that is up to you (and you need to check if the overall picture, polycount and textures allow this...). In the end, doors and hatches are nice, but unless they are just eyecandy, i would suggest to leave it out (saves you a lot of resources in the resolution lods).

Since ArmA doesn't allow carge gunners (rulling out scripts etc...) and get in animations doesn't interact with interieur, i would say leave it out (but my opinion).

That leaves you just with the front windows, there you could go for semi interieur (didn't do research on it, but i guess it doesn't have 'blacked' windows).

Anyway, good luck...

EDIT: a WIP polycount/vertexcount is always welcome i guess wink_o.gif.

Good detail and high accuracy,great job so far. As DaSquade said,no need for a detailed interior if you can't really see inside of it,something pretty boxy would do,and you could even make the steering wheel have 3 sides instead of 4 or 6,that would help the face count quite a bit. You probably already know this but the interior you see from outside and the interior you see from inside in OFP is in two different LOD's,so no need to worry about interior detail,you only gotta be concerned with that if the vehicle is "open". thumbs-up.gif

If I were you, I wouldn't make any rear doors openable. They're pretty useless, IMHO. Here's a model I made: MambaProgress10s.jpg

The interior is not that complicated at all. The benches at the back are basic rectangles, and the drivers seats are just a bit more complex. For -THIS- LOD, I wouldn't go into that much detail. Obviously the cargo lods, etc, will be much more detailed.

Keep up the great work!

Abs

EDIT: Might I also add, great progress!

what other wariants are you planning?

Currently it's not in service.

I'm planing on making it as the basic vehicle for Saharani forces, make it base for an Ambulance version, infantry carrier (the current one) and the infantry fighting vehicle version (for this version im still not sure which turret to use since this vehicle can use a lot of platforms).

I'm also thinking on making a Fire Support version for it armed with 120mm gun.

Looks great! I have two suggestions.

1) The headlights look like they're hanging in mid-air. I'm coming here from an uneducated point of view, because I don't know how this vehicle looks like in real life, but it looks a little odd.

2) The rear lights: You don't need to add the groove between the light and its housing. Maybe it's not a lot of wasted polys, but I think textures would have sifficed. smile_o.gif

Keep up the great work though!

Abs

i must say, this thing does look very good and promising! thumbs up!

I would UV the "base" model first, before you start modding new stuff on to it... it will save you time in the long run. xmas_o.gif