Sign in to follow this  
willybeef

Armed Assault..

Quote[/b] ]Seriously, get off your high horse and stop whineing constantly about how "bad" ArmA is. You've had your say, theres no need to keep on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...

Seriously theres also no need for people like you to say ARMA is perfect of less bugged then OFP (which is false).

And since when is soldiers not having pistols a bug?

I personally dislike ArmA much more then I first expected (and that was alot)

What happened to screen shots like these...

2"]http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/ArmA_Progress_01.jpg]2

Or any from the bottom of This post by ofp.info

If you ask me the game look much nicer there then it des currently. The infantry battles ive had are no where near as good as OFPs. I would personally have a copy of OFP over ArmA at the moment.

The only good points i have are...

Nice island

Nice water and sky effects

Good AI

Sure theres more but there are what stand out most to me.

I remember SOMETHING was wrong with ground vehicle physics way back in 1.0. Vehicles turned really easily, but couldnt build up even half the speed they could in later OFP versions. Was sort of fun.

And wasnt there a problem with "After Montignac" that wouldnt allow people to progress 100% of the time?

Hell, I'll find one of the old changelogs for OFP.

NEW FEATURES

* Customised faces can now be inserted for use in multi-player games, in JPG format.

* "Walking" mode can be toggled with the 'F' key.

* It is now possible to turn while reloading.

* Weapon shadows now reflect the actual weapon held.

* You can now move when using optics while crouched.

* You will experience reduced weapon recoil when crouching.

* It is now possible to sprint when using an ironsight view.

* Even small hand injuries now cause some weapon trembling.

* Heavy breathing will cause increased weapon trembling.

* AI characters now use the "walking with rifle" animation when appropriate.

* The "NEXT WAYPOINT" command has been implemented for any selected unit - not just the player-commanded vehicle.

* A server can kick players from the "Players" dialog.

* A warning message box will be shown in the server briefing if all players are not ready.

* Blood now appears before an injury is critical.

* Titles were shown at unlimited distance - distance is now limited to 100m.

* The ability to create user-defined actions has been introduced.

* The crash info file context.bin contains more information: CPU registers and version info are saved.

* Squad pictures and titles are now shown on client machines.

* New support and checks for add-ons, referenced to version number.

IMPROVEMENTS

* AI visual and audible enemy detection is improved, especially for prone targets.

* AI night vision is less effective.

* AI now put on/take off NV goggles where appropriate.

* Interior collisions are improved.

* Soldiers report sooner for medical assistance.

* Air friction physics modelling on missiles improved.

* The LAW and RPG are now faster and burn most of their fuel while in the tube.

* Missile fire tail is no longer drawn when fuel is burnt out.

* Airplane target engaging is improved.

* Airplanes lose less speed while turning.

* Even if 'turned in', the gunner is now drawn in the external camera view.

* When connecting through GameSpy arcade, you can now interrupt a "waiting for server" message.

* Only assigned players, not all connected players, are now shown in a multiplayer game.

* The design of the server briefing dialog and chat systems has been improved.

* More transfered properties in multiplayer have been added for airplanes.

* A more robust handling of the "maximum texture size" and "out of memory" conditions has been introduced.

* "Invalid vehicle types" are handled better.

* M113 gunner view improved.

* Seagull handling improved.

* Connect/disconnect messages are now localized.

* Guard band clipping enabled - this solves some issues with clipping sun on nVidia cards, and also increases performance on TnT family cards.

* All reward/penalty cutscenes now marked as played when appropriate.

MISSION FIXES

* Single Mission - 05 Heavy Metal - Mission would rarely not finish.

* Single Mission - 09 Sniper Team - CPU saboteurs not moving.

* Single Mission - 10 Commander - Occasionally didn't end.

* Campaign - 03b Alert - Radio calls M113 'unknown'.

* Campaign - 12 Spearhead - Spelling errors in briefing.

* Campaign - 38 StatusQuo - Crash at Laruns.

* Campaign - 38 StatusQuo - Spanish briefing.

CODE FIXES

* Fixed - Problems with prone soldiers invulnerable to being run over.

* Fixed - Hardware T&L daytime light glitches.

* Fixed - Watch and compass animations under hardware T&L.

* Fixed - Problems with compass and watch on re-trying a mission.

* Fixed - Graphical corruption with Voodoo 3s under Glide.

* Fixed - In-game resolution switches causing some graphical corruption with certain cards.

* Fixed - Spinning sight view with an unloaded rocket launcher on your back.

* Fixed - Preferences resolution not matching in-game selection.

* Fixed - Keyboard input disabled during mission loading.

* Fixed - "3rd person view" difficulty option not functioning correctly.

* Fixed - Autodetect settings for file & texture heap wrong if <128MB reported by Windows.

* Fixed - Double music volume in Audio options.

* Fixed - Problems with map marker centring after installation or creating a new user.

* Fixed - Crash without ammo in ship simulation.

* Fixed - Save-game corruption if save called when training target was being destroyed.

* Fixed - User cannot be deleted sometimes.

* Fixed - Mission objectives not always correctly updated after load.

* Fixed - Soldier very rarely stays frozen in mid-air when getting out of a vehicle, until moved.

* Fixed - "End" button in "Player Killed" screen was handled incorrectly.

* Fixed - Sports car speedometer moving in the wrong direction.

* Fixed - Friendly units info on map in veteran mode.

* Visibility during stand up/lay down transitions now correct.

* Sometimes a tank was aiming at a target in 'prepare' mode only, because the target was already inactive. The tank commander now cancels target in such a situation.

* When a tank commander was changing weapons often, the weapon change command was sometimes lost. This has been fixed.

* Minor night-time visibility bugs resolved.

* AI soldiers watched non-combat enemies, which made weapon selection unstable. Binoculars were also selected for no apparent reason. Only combat enemies are watched now.

* Tank commander weapon selection is now more stable, especially when engaging cars.

* When there were no dangerous enemies visible, the importance of weak targets was overestimated. As a result, much stronger weapons were selected than necessary. This problem has been resolved.

* Camera position is now clipped, so that the camera does not look through objects.

* Night vision equipment now visible on dead soldiers where appropriate.

* Reloading with weapon on back is now disabled.

* Multiplayer - Fixed - Problems when two players get into a vehicle simultaneously.

* Multiplayer - Fixed - "Hide body" sometimes not working.

* Multiplayer - Fixed - Vehicle shaking problem.

* Multiplayer - Fixed - Respawn and "high speed soldier" bugs if killed while getting into a vehicle.

* Multiplayer - Fixed - Disabling radio subtitles removes chat ability.

* Multiplayer - Fixed - Procedure "moveInGunner" is now multi-player safe.

* Multiplayer - Fixed - Procedure "moveInDriver" is now multi-player safe.

* Multiplayer - Fixed - Procedure "moveInCommander" is now multi-player safe.

* Multiplayer - Fixed - Procedure "moveInCargo" is now multi-player safe.

* Multiplayer - Fixed - Score register.

* Multiplayer setup - Fixed - Player assignment bugs.

And thats just up to OFP 1.10, BEFORE the patch that added the Apache and other vehicles wink_o.gif

I've had the game almost a week now and I have to say Yes to the poll, Arma is worth it.

Yes there are bugs.. but the gameplay is excellent. To my mind the bugs can be fixed but if the "core" gameplay is not there that is a much harder thing to fix.

I have no experience of OFP 1.0 so I can't compare. However Arma is better than OFP Resistance.

I, for one, am looking forward to playing this game for the next X number of years.

Nobody said OFP was perfect.

But ARMA has major major bugs. The fact that Suma said they are completely reworking the helicopter air dynamics should ring a bell to all of you.

But I'm done argueing. If you think OFP was more bugged, and ARMA is the standard for you (in terms of quality), then good for you. If you think otherwise, also good for you.

xmas_o.gif

All I can say about ArmA is that I'm disappointed. The graphics are nice but the game runs like crap even at low settings and the game is all-in-all not very fun to play with the various changes made in the keyboard commands, flight models, action menus, loading menus, and everything else.

Edit: And in it's current state it was most definitely not worth the wait and it was most definitely not worth the $1000 game server I was going to colocate for it.

if i started this topic at start of ofp.

was it worth buying i can say 99.9% hell even a 100% would say yes

but arma gameplay is totaly different, this is dont mind but i feel that bis sold it as SEQUAL TO OFP not a new game

well you know... i think they´ve had too much in consideration all the feedback they´ve received regarding VBS1.

With that i mean they´ve made changes focussing into PROFESSIONAL COMBAT TRAINING instead of  PC GAMEPLAY.

As such this shouldnt have been considered a game but another simulation training for professional armys, not domestic computers.

Thats the only explanation i can figure regarding the drastic changes in gameplay they´ve made.

Quoting myself cause in www.flashpoint1985.com saw this today:

ArmA.jpg

It seems they had too much in consideration what those militarys opinion was and made a game based on that.

In my opinions thats a complete error.

Arma is a great title. Sure you might have to work the settings to your prefection but after you get it dialed in your good to go. Only complant I seen was USMC soldiers rolling with more USArmy equipment that you can throw at the Opfor. LoL looks like they just threw in the equipment that is in demand in a military game title? Like wheres the AAAV, AAV, LAV, CH-53, CH-46, you know the good stuff. But I guess thats a different story. Anyways yeah get your Copy today.Its worth it. theres heaps of cool shit you can do in the mission editor. Like you ever wondered what it would be like to that spray an AK in a crowd of people? Well try it for your self gave me the chillz. lol

I voted no because imo the infantry combat and the helos aren't anywhere near as good in ArmA as they were in OFP 1.96 (I disagree with the posts that compare ArmA to OFP 1.0; 1.96 is where BIS were starting from)

Thats a valid point and something I agree with. This game was supposed to be an improved OFP and it still shows a big resemblance to OFP it is NOT a complete rewrite. That is why it should be more comparable to OFP 1.96 than OFP 1.00. There should be absolutely no old bugs reintroduced.

But thats not the case and we can only deal with the current 1.00 situation. In all fairness though this game is underdone for the time it had. Take it back and I want it WELL DONE this time wink_o.gif

Which is the exact reason why it wasn't released globally. And for the 5000000th time, Morphicon and Cenega wanted to release the game early with what version they had avaliable. So simply by definition, the game was rushed. However, it is 100% surely going to be patched. BIS would be comitting commercial suicide to just let the game sit as is. Why the hell do all of you adapt this "the sky is falling" philosophy?

Sheesh!

- dRb

Quote[/b] ]Which is the exact reason why it wasn't released globally.

The reason is because they didn't find a global publisher.

If what your saying is true, BIS wouldn't have released on sproket (sp) or whatever the online distribution is called.

And its not up to us to debate and find excuses for why the game is in this state.

I expected something better story wise, gameplay wise, and AI wise.

The only thing that met my expectations were the graphics (which I cared little of).

sad_o.gif

i have to agree with 0456820's opinion as well. i personally dont like the new look of the graphics in its current version. i would have been perfectly fine with OFP graphics in ARMA.

Quote[/b] ]Which is the exact reason why it wasn't released globally.

The reason is because they didn't find a global publisher.  

If what your saying is true, BIS wouldn't have released on sproket   (sp) or whatever the online distribution is called.  

And its not up to us to debate and find excuses for why the game is in this state.  

I expected something better story wise, gameplay wise, and AI wise.  

The only thing that met my expectations were the graphics (which I cared little of).

sad_o.gif

I should've added "yet" to emphasize my point. Also, the sprocket version is CZ so it is intended for czech citizens, not the global market. It is just an alternative for them to buy it.

Now changing the subject a smidgen - do I think the game is ready for the mass market? HELLS NO! There is plenty of work to be done on the campaign, AI, controls, UI, and, most of all, performance. The game has plenty of bugs to work on and it can be quite frustrating. However, this is pretty much the only game that looks good enough to play for the next year+. Bf2142 is a joke. Crysis is starting to get WORSE by the day. Indeed, ArmA is my only real sanctuary for PC gaming. I have faith (or perhaps wishful thinking?) that BIS will not disappoint me.

Just have to wait and see,

- dRb

My ArmA increases it's worth every single day I play. And when you get your flawless english version, which I will also get. I can proudly say: Yes - I paid for your improvments and bugfixes. But hey, everyday I spend on Sara with my brothers, are worth 1.000 bugs, which I've either ignored or never encountered.

Here's the deal: ArmA will be patches several times, the community will push the limits further and finally there is no creditable alternative to ArmA, not even OFP anymore.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

_cont = 0

#start

Play arma

~live_your_life

Play arma

~live_your_life

Play arma

~live_your_life

_cont = _cont + 1

?(_cont < 20):goto "start"

?(still_dont_like_arma):goto "dont_like"

goto "fun"

#dont_like

{Play arma} foreach new_patch

?(still_dont_like_arma):Exit

#fun

Play arma

~live_your_life

goto "fun"

Just for fun smile_o.gif

Armed Assault together with mods and new addons will need a monster PC to run the game.

Just look at Operationflashpoint and Resistance+ new addons.

U need a much better computer to run all these stuff then recommended specs.

So keep this in mind before finalizing your computers update.

Armed Assault together with mods and new addons will need a monster PC to run the game.

Just look at Operationflashpoint and Resistance+ new addons.

U need a much better computer to run all these stuff then recommended specs.

So keep this in mind before finalizing your computers update.

Not necessarily. Those OFP addons and mods that required more muscle had usually hires textures and models. ArmA has already hires textures and models so I doubt community addons and mods will run any worse than ArmA itself at the moment wink_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ] i would have been perfectly fine with OFP graphics in ARMA.

O'rly,? by this you mean the hit detection issues, crumpled buildings when destroyed, snagging clipping problems etc, ? Ok i respect your opinion mate but give this game a few months and let the community and modders get thier teeth into it and BIS get their act together coupled with the competitive leagues CTI ,CQB, this i think will one to beat. BF2 for example is not even in the same league, not even close as the game is now, and to think that piece of crap was heralded as the best online fps ever.

Let the good times roll, it might just take a while ,)

To me ArmA is better than what I thought it would be in the begining, all it was ever meant to be was an Improved version of OFP, not a totaly new game.

It's the "small" improvements that I like the best, like 3D Ironsights, higher object density of the map, destructable buildings and the way you can't just wipe out a squad of AI soldiers on your own.

Just thinking about all the addons and mods that will come out for it, even if just a fraction as many as OFP, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. xmas_o.gif

I think some people were expecting Game 2 afew years early.

I'm glad they released it. That way, people from Europe can get rid of most of the bugs before it comes to NA. If your from NA and can't wait for it to come and buy it from sprocket then thats your choice, don't complain cause you couldn't wait biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I voted no because imo the infantry combat and the helos aren't anywhere near as good in ArmA as they were in OFP 1.96 (I disagree with the posts that compare ArmA to OFP 1.0; 1.96 is where BIS were starting from)

Oh boy... you are complaining about stuff they made more realistic? Are you a CTF player?

Anyway, the harder it is to control the better. I'm just surprised because BIS said they would try to bring OFP closer to the meanstream with arma, seems like they went with a little bit different route.

I like ArmA, but i'm crazy so get your salt transporting trucks to unload a pile of the stuff next to my opinion.

With the new object density and grass i can imagine some pretty awsome vietnam mods for this game, hell - you could mod entire 'nam into the game with the new terrain streaming feature. Plus with the char switch feature and multiple gunner position patrolling the meekong with a nice gunboat will be niiice...

If you think of what the ArmA release is -a starting point- then doesn't it scream that it can only get even better?

Quote[/b] ]Seriously, get off your high horse and stop whineing constantly about how "bad" ArmA is. You've had your say, theres no need to keep on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...

Seriously theres also no need for people like you to say ARMA is perfect of less bugged then OFP (which is false).

I'm not saying ArmA is perfect (find where I said that, and I'll give you a medal wink_o.gif )

What I am saying, is that there is no need to keep going on and on and on and on about how "bugged" ArmA is. We get it, we heard you the first three hundred times, BI ARE working on it.

As for OFP, counting JUST the "code fixes" from the patch readmes (and excluding the fixes between 1.46-1.75 since for some reason they arent included in the readme on the disk) there were over 270 fixes made to the engine.

As to whether or not ArmA is more or less buggy than OFP, that is opinion, since until ArmA's "life" is over (i.e. it stops getting patches) we wont be able to count the total number of bugs that were fixed in it.

But ARMA has major major bugs. The fact that Suma said they are completely reworking the helicopter air dynamics should ring a bell to all of you.

OFP had "major major" bugs too. I'd call wiping the partition that the game is installed on pretty f*cking serious... (ok it was rare, but the possibility was still there)

And the physics were re-worked in OFP too, thats a pretty fundamental change (more so than a single flight model).

The only bell that rings to me when I read that BI are re-working the flight model is that BI cares about what their fans think of their product. I'd be MUCH more worried if BI's response was "tough, its not being changed".