Sign in to follow this  
Pupazz

First ARMA impressions

Also, does the AK74 still has burst mode?

If it's the same as OFP:E and (as I hear) VBS1, the AKs have a burst mode that only the AI can use, solving the problem with the AI's rate of fire without screwing up the realism.

It's kinda depressing to see that people are accepting the fact they'll have to wait '5 years', for a game they spent 40E on, to be what they expected it to be in the first place... What's this attitude all about?

What if you ordered a plate of spaghetti in a good restaurant, but the ingredients were only added every 10 minutes? Would you sit there and happily pay for that? Even worse, would you get up, go to the kitchen and start cooking it yourself?

confused_o.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif

Couldn't agree more with you.

Wanted to know a few things about ArmA here ...

Is there any supersonic sound modeling ('snaps' or 'cracks' from incoming small arms fire)? I thought I read about supersonic sound modeling in one of the press releases ...

Also, I've also read that the dreaded Invis-O-Grass is in Armed Assault too. Is the locally rendered grass (stuff that is only rendered in a 50-100m or so circle around the player) very high? How much of it is there? If I am in a field of grass moving towards a bunker will I stick out like a sore thumb?

These are the only real major concerns I have about Armed Assault at the moment as the AI seems to be equal to and even better than OFP's, all the other bugs seems like standard new release bugs.

Oh, why has no one said a single word (in the whole 10 page thread ...) about the multiplayer? Has it died or something? People here are talking like ArmA is WORSE than OFP ... I don't understand how having a join in progress multiplayer system can be worse. Hell, I would have paid the $100 I'm going to be spending on ArmA (live in Canada, go games from Germany!wink_o.gif to get OFP with JIP and NOTHING else.

Try to enjoy the game, I'm sure in 3 months these 'teething' issues will be resolved ...

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]Is there any supersonic sound modeling

Yepp, *crack crack crack* yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]Is there any supersonic sound modeling

Yepp, *crack crack crack* yay.gif

Really? Sweet!

Why has no one said anything of this before? Seems like a pretty nifty new feature to me! This would definately leave a positive first impression for me since I've NEVER heard this in ANY game (excluding the PR 0.403 mod for BF2).

So negative around here icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyone notice how if you don't directly hit someone with an RPG it won't affect them?

Anyone notice how if you don't directly hit someone with an RPG it won't affect them?

nah try it against guy at mounted gun position rofl.gif

but don't worry it will be fixed wink_o.gif

That sounds like a terrible bug crazy_o.gif

Seriously, how could such a bug go unnoticed before release?? huh.gif

That's just sad.

I noticed that when a enemy RPG soldier was shooting at me in a M1A1 from 1m away lol, would be a simple fix in the config.

Some how I think this is untrue? In OFP the lethal radius was at least 1m. In real life it's hardly a "nuke", maybe you were expecting too much blast?

Some how I think this is untrue? In OFP the lethal radius was at least 1m. In real life it's hardly a "nuke", maybe you were expecting too much blast?

No there's deffinately a config problem with it, like my above post I had a enemy RPG solder shooting multiple rounds at me in a M1A1 from 1m away and he kept on firing like nothing happend. I'm sure in real life you wouldn't want to be anywhere within 5m of the blast.

lol... didn't we have this Bug with OFP 1.0, too? biggrin_o.gif

My first impression would be that the graphics are great.  I dislike the FOV in some vehicles, mostly the choppers.  Sometimes I feel like im flying a R/C.  But besides that the recoil is nice except the machine guns may need a fix.  I first played it with a nvidia 7800gt and had no problems at all. I place the settings around normal and view distance on around 1.5k and a few options on high, now I tried on a 8800gtx and everything on veryhigh and view distance at about 3k and it is very smooth. But to tell you the truth a 7800gt with 2ghz and 2g ram ran it fine.  So most you guys with average system will have no problem playing.  It seems that they did a great job on hardware requirements.

Can you please give us some more details like what CPU and how many FPS you get in ArmA with everything on high using the 8800GTX.

I just received my copy of the PC-Games magazine and they gave ArmA only 72%.

They say that the AI is horrible and that it's more fun to play OFP with mods, than ArmA sad_o.gif

-Dawnrazor @ Nov. 25 2006,04:32)]

biggrin_o.gifLook here

Yeah, been there, done that too.

I just received my copy of the PC-Games magazine and they gave ArmA only 72%.

They say that the AI is horrible and that it's more fun to play OFP with mods, than ArmA sad_o.gif

The german "gamestar" assigns today 75%. The largest errors are AI and grafik and they are not itself united whether good or not good... the MP-Part keeps "very good".

Fazit Petra: "hate and love, hate and love".

Well as i mentioned before ive lost my enthusiasm and my high expectations about the game. In a way its good because i might have to skip buying a new computer if the game aint worth it.

However this is the only game that I expected( not playing other games) and this i serious blow to my gaming future.

I might cancel the purchase of the game and continue with my old rig for a decade icon_rolleyes.gifsad_o.gif .

Well as i mentioned before ive lost my enthusiasm and my high expectations about the game. In a way its good because i might have to skip buying a new computer if the game aint worth it.

However this is the only game that I expected( not playing other games) and this i serious blow to my gaming future.

I might cancel the purchase of the game and continue with my old rig for a decade icon_rolleyes.gifsad_o.gif .

There's alot of good stuff about the game too, people just don't post about it confused_o.gif

Also alot of bugs are something you wouldn't do, i tend to shoot people with a rifle rather than an rpg...

and controls are customizable, although noone seems to to that crazy_o.gif

I think some of you guys are worrying far to much, it's very early days with ArmA. Give it another 5 - 6 months and things will be a lot better I'm sure just like OFP.

The bigger the engine and enviroments the more problems the devs are going to run into, there's still no other game released that can compare to OFP or ArmA.

I think some of you guys are worrying far to much, it's very early days with ArmA. Give it another 5 - 6 months and things will be a lot better I'm sure just like OFP.

The bigger the engine and enviroments the more problems the devs are going to run into, there's still no other game released that can compare to OFP or ArmA.

Exactly. This is game has been out about 20 days, give them some time wont you? banghead.gif

Quote[/b] ] Give it another 5 - 6 months and things will be a lot better I'm sure just like OFP.

Buy now, play later ? huh.gif

I and many others here didn´t expect that BIS released Armed Assault with so many flaws, keeping in mind that there was beta-testing. So either the testing was screwed or the issues adressed were not fixed with the versions that are now released. Both doesn´t sound good.

Some of the bugs are so obvious that you don´t have to set up complex scenarios to see them. Take the bridge destruction for example. How can it be that vehicles do not fall off a destroyed bridge ? If testing was comprehensive, how could something like that make it into a FINAL game ?

I tested Arma for 2.5 hours only and I did not have to search for bugs and flaws. They were so plain obvious that I would have had a hard time NOT noticing them.

If you check OFP reviews back in the days, you´ll see that most of the ratings were rather good compared to Arma ratings today, although OFP had bugs aswell.

I still don´t get it that Arma still has OFP bugs that were known.

I´m all for supporting BIS and I am a loyal fan, but to me it looks like Arma was rushed out, no matter if it was known to be bugged. Maybe it was in publishers interest to get christmas sales, maybe the 505 release was put backward because 505 did not want to release Arma as it is today, who knows.

What I know is that Arma as it is now does and will not meet expectations of the majority of OFP fans.

Although i will never get to play the game as a result, I think that the 505 release should be pushed back to allow some actual beta testing. As someone said, FFUR 2.0 is better than this - congrats to the everyday lads of FFUR for making a game that actually beats a bloody games developer.

Some more things:

Smoke shells looks crap (no smoke volume), and spread to about 5 meters squared and don't move realistically (wind etc). I cannot see how this could ever help strategically as all of your squad would have to be running right beside each other. confused_o.gif