Sign in to follow this  
Pupazz

First ARMA impressions

Hi all, ive been playing ARMA for a few days now, and as a huge OPF fan here is what I think, and tell me if you're finding the same ;)

Bugs, lots of bugs. The worst/silliest i've found are to

do with big differences between where you're aiming and where your shot ends up. In one of the first missions where you snipe from the water tower I found that the closer the enemy got, the further away i had to aim from them to get a hit. This was when they were standing still, not me failing to `lead-fire'.  The tanks do it too, I aim at a distant enemy and find that all I really hit is the ground far below and to the right of where I'm aiming.  The patrol boats can happily drive across land at 30kph.  Driving into a solid object with time compression on sometimes causes my tank to shoot miles in the air and land, undamaged, on its roof.... I spent a while playing BMP pinball like this :).  Helecopters can hit the ground in a lot of weird ways and survive.  The sound is... odd in the extreme- i can hear a vehicles engine when it's moving, but not as a pasenger, not when stationary, and not when in a turret.

Theres a lot of things that are changed from OPF that I'm guessing are deliberate, but still seem wrong to me. I understand they might just be a matter of tweaking, or easily fixed in a patch, still I want to know what others think:

* The flight model is hellish now, planes barely climb and      

helecopters are immensely twitchy. I used to love OPF's. :(

* The BMP only seems to be able to travel in the direction of

water flow if it's being used amphibiously.

* Glass in jeeps/trucks now seems to be bulletproof, you cant

walk up and kill a driver and steal his car half as easily as    

you used to.

* Crew seem even more keen to leap out of their vehicles at

the slightest scratch.

*  Theres about half the vehicles that there used to be in

vanilla OPF, theres not even a eastern side plane. :P

Are more vehicles being saved for a "special edition"?

Any news on porting OPF custom models into ARMA?

*  All the tanks score one hit kills now, is that right...?

Good things!  

*  Tanks now seem to have handbreaks and don't roll off

when you jump to the gunners seat on a hill :)

*  Buildings fall down much better than before.

*  The engine seems a lot more capable than Flashpoint's, I

think ARMA runs better on my machine than OPF ever did :D

Cheers guys, thanks for any feedback.

Bugs, lots of bugs. The worst/silliest i've found are to

do with big differences between where you're aiming and where your shot ends up. In one of the first missions where you snipe from the water tower I found that the closer the enemy got, the further away i had to aim from them to get a hit.

Well.. this bug is called ballistic and is present also in old OFP. The SPR seems to be zeroed somewhere around 300 meters. Try use zoom on your scope, to get your shots into the middle of the crosshair. This mission is IMO almost hellish easy. It's like shooting ducks... headshot, headshot, headshot... boring.

mate just remember this is still a game in the works and will be for a while. do you see how long it took to get to the stage ofp is at now, 5 years, 5 years of hard work. how many patches it took, then look how far mods took the engine. omg im so sick of people complaining about the game. if you dont like something talak to one of the established modding communities about fixing this patch. BI will still hear the issue or atleast see it and resolve it in a patch.

p.s sorry if this sounds harsh had a bad day lol

Yeah, ill agree with those.

Often when exiting an APC you will end up standng ontop of it and then being stuck permanently to the top of it.

Doors inside buildings do not open properly and will only open about half way so you are unable to enter through them.

mate just remember this is still a game in the works and will be for a while. do you see how long it took to get to the stage ofp is at now, 5 years, 5 years of hard work. how many patches it took, then look how far mods took the engine. omg im so sick of people complaining about the game. if you dont like something talak to one of the established modding communities about fixing this patch. BI will still hear the issue or atleast see it and resolve it in a patch.

Well... it seems to be kind of a standard lately, to release games almost in alpha state and then release patches, but people still didn't seem to get used to it smile_o.gif

I'm not happy from this trend... but on the other hand, I'm happy it was released now, because i don't like the waiting for PERFECT game... like S.T.A.L.K.E.R or Duke Nukem Forever :P

you used to.

Ähm ?

Glas broken

But this looks like it's not bulletproof (?)

you used to.

Ähm ?

Glas broken

It's chopper mate... he mentioned jeeps and trucks wink_o.gif

Only bulletproof glass i found is on HMMWV...

If people don't "complain" about a game, standards will get lower and lower and then whats the point of a company spending more money on a defective product when no one is actually saying anything. Like you said, it is a game and therefore can be fixed if time is put into it but that can only be achieved if people speak up and list bugs and glitches.

Also, the chopper was probaly hit by an aa missile, thats why the glass is shattered.

I thought I saw a read that in ARMA now wind,slope,range etc... affects bullet drop now.Would that account for the aiming? Is it the wind?

mate just remember this is still a game in the works and will be for a while. do you see how long it took to get to the stage ofp is at now, 5 years, 5 years of hard work.

Thats why people have high expectations, nothing is perfect from the off, but we have that 5 years to look at and learn from.

Quote[/b] ]omg im so sick of people complaining about the game.

Heh, the only real complaint I have is about the dodgy sights,

all the other stuff is proabably easily changed.

I'm excited to see what mods people start coming up with really soon, it's the community stuff that makes BI games special smile_o.gif. And being able to drive boats like cars is still stupid, no matter what.

Quote[/b] ]BI will still hear the issue or atleast see it and resolve it in a patch.

Er, that was the point of the post, to see if anyone else

has these issues, and if not, now they're known.  No offence taken, I didn't come here to moan smile_o.gif

I thought I saw a read that in ARMA now wind,slope,range etc... affects bullet drop now.Would that account for the aiming? Is it the wind?

Im afraid not, at 200+ metres range the rifle was behaving as i would expect, but any closer than that and i was having to deliberately aim for a miss to hit where i wanted to.

If i was to guess at a reason, it would be that the clipping of

the railings on the tower were interfering as i had to aim down increasingly sharply the closer the troops got.

Other things ive found since my first post:

80 ton tanks can push themselves around by turning the turret so the barrel hits a building.

Sabot and HEAT shells are stopped by chain link fences.

Shells that hit lamp posts seem to vanish.

hmm lets see,

Quote[/b] ]Bugs, lots of bugs. The worst/silliest i've found are to

do with big differences between where you're aiming and where your shot ends up. In one of the first missions where you snipe from the water tower I found that the closer the enemy got, the further away i had to aim from them to get a hit. This was when they were standing still, not me failing to `lead-fire'.  The tanks do it too, I aim at a distant enemy and find that all I really hit is the ground far below and to the right of where I'm aiming.

I dont realy understand what are you trying to say in here it could be the ballistics of the game and thats good smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]* The flight model is hellish now, planes barely climb and      

helecopters are immensely twitchy. I used to love OPF's. sad_o.gif

I hope it is as hellish as you discribe it so that your efforts in learning are rewarded and not every noob can fly, by the way try flying with keyboard only I dont know why every body uses the mouse.

Quote[/b] ]* Glass in jeeps/trucks now seems to be bulletproof, you cant

you used to.

huh thats strange I mean we all saw different videos in which car and truck drivers were killed with direct shots??

Quote[/b] ]* Crew seem even more keen to leap out of their vehicles at

the slightest scratch.

well thats good and realistic unless that "scratch" is a result of dumb driver going directly into trees , walls ..etc  banghead.gif

Quote[/b] ]*  All the tanks score one hit kills now, is that right...?

well it should depend on the range in short ranges any tank can kill another one with one shot, in longer ranges however it should be different matter  huh.gif  , try engageing at max range.

as for the lack of vehicles well no I dont agree with you "Vanilla" OFP had just as few vehicles as in ArmA mybe even a bit less, only later that the "BMP-2, BRDM, SU-25, KAIWA, M2A1 , VAULCAN, AH-64, , KA-50 and CHINOCK" were added  thumbs-up.gif

you used to.

Ähm ?

Glas broken

It's chopper mate... he mentioned jeeps and trucks wink_o.gif

That would kind of work,considering some HMMWV's today have ballistic glass.

That would kind of work,considering some HMMWV's today have ballistic glass.

Yeah. But shouldn't withstand more hit's from .50 wich now does...

Maybe they didn't count on friendly fire or somethin..who knows,worse comes to worst they may patch it.

Ive been playing ArmA for four days now... and I would agree with the fact that there are quite a few annoying bugs, and things that need to be fixed. My personal worst bug is that parts of the flight model seem really twitchy, and very rough. Patches can fix all tho... so we'll just have to wait.

* Theres about half the vehicles that there used to be in

vanilla OPF, theres not even a eastern side plane. :P

Are more vehicles being saved for a "special edition"?

Considering the amount of mods made for OFP, and the ones being made for ArmA, do they really need to make as many vehicles for ArmA as they did for OFP?

You may be suprised,Armed Assault is optimized to work on modern equipment,OFP however tends to have disregards towards more modern systems and can run worse on newer equipment.

but i saw some guy get average 10 fps running on a pretty high end system. are you suggesting that ofp would actually be 8 fps on the same system?

It is possible. In all honesty when I look at these bugs and whatnot I laugh,I laugh because it is mostly the communities fault. They wanted the game out,an in a year or so they got the game because they became impatient.

All is not lost, patches are patches and they will slowly but surley cover every aspect which needs to be looked at, First impressions. Speechless, When the hole OFP community gets a hold of this game, things will only get better and better with time, just like flashpoint. thumbs-up.gif

Ive been playing ArmA for four days now... and I would agree with the fact that there are quite a few annoying bugs, and things that need to be fixed. My personal worst bug is that parts of the flight model seem really twitchy, and very rough. Patches can fix all tho... so we'll just have to wait.

Im hoping what we will find is the flight models and other model issues will be a function of tweaking the new Config files. All ofp mods are a function of reworked config.cpp files.

Keep beta testing Europe, your saving us yanks alot of down time. :-)