Sign in to follow this  
xav

Arma online distribution by SPROCKET

The English patch is horrible. It's full of typos, misspellings, and the subtitles are only approximately the same meaning as the English audio. There are key texts in the control section that are BLANK.

Wow thats not very nice, the guys have taken a lot of time and effort to make it playable for us. If anyone can do a better job maybe they should try ?

If not for Sickboy and his team, we would all be playing in German / Czech.

wink_o.gif

I don't mean to discredit their work or put them down at all, it's just the "Oh get the German game and apply a language patcher, it's just as good as a real English version!" attitude that I take issue with. Because that's simply just not the case at this point.

I'm half-tempted to contact the language translation team and offer my services. If they don't have a native English speaker on their team, then that would explain the end result.

And for the blank keys in the key setting... I swear I followed their instructions to the letter. Who knows why.

Anyway, back to the original issue... downloads get corrupted, it happens. My first reaction is a bum file version on one of sproket's mirrors. Either that or some corruption of your OS software, but the first is more likely.

I hope that the remedy has me getting another attempt at downloading that file without paying again. I still need to get a response from Softwrap/IDEA, but I will be patient. This is a weekend and perhaps they dont have someone staring at a computer. Come Tuesday and I havent heard a response then I will be concerned.

thanks for the comments/support, as always. wink_o.gif

I downloaded a copy from my-sprocket. Installed everything. Then when I go to play, it says I don't have a CD in the drive. Well duh? Because I downloaded the game! It keeps asking for a CD. Any idea on what to do? Does it come with the 1.01 patch already?

I downloaded a copy from my-sprocket. Installed everything. Then when I go to play, it says I don't have a CD in the drive. Well duh? Because I downloaded the game! It keeps asking for a CD. Any idea on what to do? Does it come with the 1.01 patch already?

Yes , it is already ver.1.01

DO NOT APPLY THE 1.01 PATCH to download versions.

Now it says, invalid CD key when I go to join a match. WTF! Don't download from my-sprocket, they will lie! $45 down the drain!

i cant believe how BIS have fucked this whole game up, distribution wise/game wise.

they don't seem to give a damn either

can anyone confirm successfull installation via aa downloader version?

p.s. i wish they went with steam, atleast steam i have heard of before but sprocket...new to me.

The "in-store distributor before internet" argument is rather silly, too. Red Orchestra started out Steam-only, they couldn't find any store distributors - closest analog, there are more examples. RO demonstrated how well their game could sell with Steam, and gained a store distributor for it.

I received a reply from support@IDEA games. He asked that I check the md5sum of the setup.exe . I think I checked it properly and it was a different number than it was supposed to be.

Awaiting further replies.

whistle.gif

Now it says, invalid CD key when I go to join a match.

This was explained in the Sprocket troubleshooting thread in the troubleshooting forum (which is the correct place for posting such issues). If it's still not resolved then you should contact Sprocket's support via Email.

i cant believe how BIS have fucked this whole game up, distribution wise/game wise.

they don't seem to give a damn either

That is just an emotional response and simply not true.

I have people in my tournament download the game from Sprocket and have had no problems.

I understand you have an issue but lets not make statements like this unless we see a large number of people have multiple problems.

can anyone confirm successfull installation via aa downloader version?

p.s. i wish they went with steam, atleast steam i have heard of before but sprocket...new to me.

I have people in my tournament download the game from Sprocket and have had no problems.

And the rest of my tourny buddies used the german ArmA downloader. However, some prefer the Sprocket version because it uses SoftWrap and NOT StarForce like the German "download" version.

Yes it works.

Also pls us ArmA.

Everything I see AA, I think America's Army.

-Ziggy- @ Dec. 11 2006,22:42)]I received a reply from support@IDEA games. He asked that I check the md5sum of the setup.exe . I think I checked it properly and it was a different number than it was supposed to be.

Awaiting further replies.

whistle.gif

This tells me you should re-download. Perhaps use a download manager too that can sometimes help protect against corruption assuming you use a good download manager.

ViperMaul please edit your posts rather than replying three times in a row.

I used Sprocket to dl my game and while it has resulted in no problems regarding the ArmedA software, I had numorous issues with the buy-download-play process.

I am trying to do this without "trash-talking" Sprocket. This is simply my experience and advice.

First my advice is to CAREFULLY read their "Terms" witch includes the following:

"We make no claims, nor apply any assertion that this site is suitable or configured for access for anyone outside of the Czech Republic."

Second click on the "About" icon and again CAREFULLY read the section titled "The protection" so you understand what the copy protection is and to answer any ...what if I need to reformat?... questions.

As far as my experience with Sprocket...the order process/security scared me. I registered with the site, yet that seemed to be pointless because my order info was not in my profile.

I was unable to download immediately after my purchase. The auto responses from Sprocket/IDEA games were in Czech, however the next day I got an email in english basiclly telling me to try again. This time I was successful. I also received a follow up email 2 days later, but it was again in Czech so I have no idea what it says.

So my advice is take a moment to read the parts of their web page noted above, and consider your options before you decide.

Personally I think I should have waited. My experience with downloadng games has not been a good one.(ie STEAM, Sprocket) I will only purchase software that arrives on something tangible like a CD/DVD in the future. confused_o.gif

i bought and downloaded arma yesterday from sprocket. no problems. i did get confused with the activation - i kept trying to put my reference number in the new license when it goes in the existing license section. it's working fine now.

my question:

is there a FAQ or HOWTO on the controls? no manual came with the download - not even a czech one (like that would have done me any good anyway <g>). i didn't play ofp so all the keys are somewhat daunting.

p.s. sprocket - could you plz put up an english manual for download when that gets done?

Hey,

Sorry if I sound negative but I see this whole distribution idea as a money making exercise. They only released ArmA in certain countries for a reason. If they hold out long enough without releasing it to France,UK and the US they know people will download the Czech version and patch it to English. While safe in the knowledge that when they release the english version with extra bells and whistles people will buy it. My point is they are trying to get people to pay for the same game twice and so far it looks like that plan is going to work.

Hey,

Sorry if I sound negative but I see this whole distribution idea as a money making exercise. They only released ArmA in certain countries for a reason. If they hold out long enough without releasing it to France,UK and the US they know people will download the Czech version and patch it to English. While safe in the knowledge that when they release the english version with extra bells and whistles people will buy it. My point is they are trying to get people to pay for the same game twice and so far it looks like that plan is going to work.

Ummm, no... icon_rolleyes.gif

This is BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE, not EA... wink_o.gif

What you are suggesting is completely untrue and I find such an accusation offensive.

We desperately wanted the game to be released in all regions at the same time, we tried to sign with one global publisher but it didn't happen.

hey Paul..............

How's the new Gray hairdo coming? tounge2.gif

J/K

BIS has proven, to me anyway, over the years that support for their product is their priority. Anybody who thinks different has not been paying attention, IMHO.

I will download the sproket version as soon as I have access to a more reliable high speed connection than my wireless at work. And I will eventually buy something in hard copy when available in "native" english.

Providing it has no "intrusive" Copy protection.

smile_o.gif

ArmdA is going to be a classic. bet on it.

an update on my situation....

-My emails were responded to

-A new download was made available to me

-I downloaded the setup.exe again, this time with no corruption.

I installed the ArmA successfully and entered purchase info for activation.

Everything is working, and I thank BIS/IDEA/Softwrap for their service and support.

notworthy.gif

Now it says, invalid CD key when I go to join a match. WTF! Don't download from my-sprocket, they will lie! $45 down the drain!

Why don't you just email them for help? They probably haven't added their cd-keys to the database yet or something.

USPS lost my german delivery of AA. I've been dying for 2 weeks for it to arrive and today they just they don't know where my parcel went. Anyhow So I decided to purchase the Sproket download also so I can play it this weekend. I was shocked to see I'm only getting 7kb/s download. At this rate it's going to take the whole weekend to download. Is this normal? I'm in the US at the moment although I have a T1 connection. oh well I guess I can keep reading the good stuff on here for the next 70hrs.. wink_o.gif

USPS lost my german delivery of AA. I've been dying for 2 weeks for it to arrive and today they just they don't know where my parcel went. Anyhow So I decided to purchase the Sproket download also so I can play it this weekend. I was shocked to see I'm only getting 7kb/s download. At this rate it's going to take the whole weekend to download. Is this normal?  I'm in the US at the moment although I have a T1 connection. oh well I guess I can keep reading the good stuff on here for the next 70hrs.. wink_o.gif

Guess their connection across the pond isn't too great then, I got constant 130KB/s (the maximum for my connection).