Sign in to follow this  
Loki Sunrider

Textures and Models need major overhaul !!!

From the current pictures and movie clips I've seen of this game, I can see that all the Textures and Models need to be scrapped and redone from scratch.

It looks like Bohemia just reused them from OFP.

They have such a medium resolution, dull grayish appearance.

And the detail of the models looks like something that was created back in 1999.

The textures lack the high resolution, detail and vibrance that you would see in a game like Battlefield 2.

Also the buildings, models, static objects, trees also lack detail, such that you will find in Battlefield 2.

The way the game is now on these issues, is completely unacceptable.

If this game can't compete visually with Battlefield 2 or Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, I can safely say that the gaming community will not purchse this game in the number of sales you are expecting.

I beg and plead to you Bohemia, for your financial sake and for the enjoyment of the gaming community, please improve your textures and models.

Now as a long time fan and game player of the OFP series, I have no doubt that Armed Assault is going to be a very good and enjoyable game to play.

I also think that from a performance issue it will be fantastic and we won't have problems on our current day machines.

I think most of us intelligent, seasoned gamers that have played OFP series and beyond have really been waiting for this game to come out.

I hope Bohemia that you take this seriously and to heart and can meet the gaming community's expectations.

We are wishing you the very best in your success !!!

Thanks and see you out there,

Loki Sunrider

****Update*******

For all of you out there that are Semi-Flaming me for what I've said,

Yes I have looked at the most recent pics and movies out there.

And if you want examples, just look at the most recent pics yourself  and compare them to BF2 and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

This game just does not even come close to these other games in terms of visuals.

I'm willing to wait another year if that's what it takes to redo the textures and models.

I think of OFP as the pre-cursor and father of todays same type games. It was really ahead of it's time back in 2001, especially for the hardware we were running back then.

So I really do expect the best out of this new game.

And I'm sorry if you don't understand this.

But I do wish Bohemia the very best!

Loki Sunrider

**********Update 2****************

Look, there is no doubt that Armed Assault will be as good if not better than OFP and many other current and upcoming games in terms of performance, game play, size and scope of maps.

I agree with you and have no doubt about it.

But we are turning the corner into the year 2007 and have machines right now that run BF2 with it's large maps, large 64 player servers, ability to go anywhere and do anything and fantastic visuals.

There is no reason why an awesome game like Armed Assault should not deliver visuals that match or even surpass BF2.

This would truly set it up on the pedestal again as The King.

Loki Sunrider

hope you aren't serious or at least haven't seen any of the current screenshot icon_rolleyes.gif

if you are talking about screens like this:

old screen

than I can agree abit, still this game isn't about graphics

but if you are talking about newer screens like this:

newer screen (are newer i know but some are done on lower specs)

then i have no idea of what you mean with high quality

hm some pics of your concerns would have been nice, i must say you sound like your reviewing an old russian video, but even that didnt warrant this much critique, do you wanna guide us to how you made these conclusions, i doubt it has come from the latest round of media.

Hey Loki Sunrider have been smoking crack again? WTF are you talking about man!!! gawd if bf2 is so good and u like that type of game stop moaning and go play it.. personally from my view of the game.. it looks awsome and has come along way since Operation Flashpoint.

omg there are incredible differences in ofp and armed assault dude smile_o.gif i don't get what you walkting about... crazy_o.gif

have you seen the latest screens? read what the game has featured? lika some of the latest 2006 info and not some old 2005 screens?

I think the modell and textures on the most recent pictures and videos are really nice. Adding more modell and texture detail would only have a negative impact on the performance.

Besides that, as a "longtime" ofp fan one should know that this game is certainly not about the graphics.

Ok the point of this thread is to convince them to re-do all the textures and models?

Ok if you are a human being, then I do not need to explain why that cannot be done at this point in time...

Edit: Nice blog by the way afrographX!

You just can't have it all like in the flashy corridor shooters or the performance would be crap. It's a very simple mathematic fact, the more you have stuff on the screen and happening on the mission, the more work it takes to render and run AI, physics etc so you have to cut somewhere else or you'll end up with a slide show instead of an enjoyable game play experience.

he he he nice one Loki . I can imagine a tomorrows flashnews :

"Due to community request be are remaking all textures and models, new release date is 4Q 2007"

rofl.gif

huh.gif yeah good one Loki. but i agree with some things. they could make more detailled models, and use more the normal mapping, to avoid lags.

take a look at the normal mapping for UT2007 (Distributed Computing Normal Map Generation Tool), i know , it's not the same game, the same engine. it's just an example.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml at the bottom of the page.

but, i like already Arma.

inlove.gif

huh.gif yeah good one Loki. but i agree with some things. they could make more detailled models, and use more the normal mapping, to avoid lags.

take a look at the normal mapping for UT2007 (Distributed Computing Normal Map Generation Tool), i know , it's not the same game, the same engine. it's just an example.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml at the bottom of the page.

but, i like already Arma.

inlove.gif

Just imagine the lag rolling over those hills lmao!

From the current pictures and movie clips I've seen of this game, I can see that all the Textures and Models need to be scrapped and redone from scratch.

<snip>

Have you seen the latest high quality video they've released, in their announcement of 505 Games being the UK distributor? If not, download it in this .rar archive here (it's about 80MB).

ftp://www.flashpoint1985.com/ArmA/Arma_PR_505.rar

Maybe I'm missing something, but based on that promotional movie I think it looks absolutely GORGEOUS. notworthy.gif

If this game can't compete visually with Battlefield 2 or Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, I can safely say that the gaming community will not purchse this game in the number of sales you are expecting.

I disagree. Let's say that ArmA doesn't quite have the visual sophistication of Battlefield 2/2142 or Quake Wars. So what? With Operation Flashpoint, the graphical look of the game was not its strong point. It was good for its time, but compared to other games that had come out at about that same time it didn't have the "crispness" of those other games (now, this wasn't because the guys at BI were less skilled, but I assumed they had to make compromises in visual quality to allow for the large island mission areas). Take Quake III or even Unreal, for example, both of which had come out a few years earlier, if I'm not mistaken. The had very pretty visuals compared to OpFlash; if that was your thing, then you certainly had outlets for "pretty" games.

However, what OpFlash may have lacked in "beauty" it MORE than made up for in gameplay, expansive game areas and immersion. Playing Quake III or Unreal you found yourself in "arenas," restrictive hallway environments that made replaying the game fairly repetitive. With OpFlash's "go anywhere, do anything" environments, on the other hand, replaying the various missions seemed much more rewarding. Not to mention the "edit on the fly" multiplayer editor, the real world weapons and vehicles, the ability to chose different character faces (a feature that none of the competition that I know of yet has), etc. - and given these innovative features it totally blew away the competition and created a new genre in gaming - the military shooter.

Now, several years later, Battlefield and other BF clones (Quake Wars, SW Battlefront) have built upon the success and innovations of OpFlash (BF would likely never have been created without OpFlash's "Sector Control" missions!wink_o.gif. However, given everything I've seen and heard, the guys at BI are about to rock our world again with innovative gameplay, instead of worrying about making a "pretty" game.

Just my $0.02

Bob.

Quote[/b] ]I think most of us intelligent, seasoned gamers that have played OFP series and beyond have really been waiting for this game to come out.

We are aren't we, also as "seasoned gamers" of OFP we know that after 5years we are still playing the same game with the same graphics, so who are you to say we need better graphics when clearly it seems you'd rather look at a pretty game and walk down a linear scripted corridor then enjoy what OFP had to offer in terms of gameplay.

Be considerate and think of the community that doesnt have wads of cash to buy a new pc.

smile_o.gif

BF2 is pretty, thats all its got going for it...

I'm confused, this is a major joke right? And if it is can we create a joke thread?

Also "If this game can't compete visually with Battlefield 2 or Enemy Territory: Quake Wars"

ArmA isn't competing with these games, totally different genera. and if you dont know this then your really not a die hard OFP fan.

ArmA is not fighting on a 1k by 1k map!

Quote[/b] ]They have such a medium resolution, dull grayish appearance.

All content in ArmA is "medium resolution" because unlike some people OFP/ArmA players actually want gameplay (instead of insanely detailed graphics) on a large island and not restricted tunnelblasting or "gigantic maps" half the size of the town I live in.

Military equipment is not meant to stand out, hence the "dull grayish appearance".

Also OFP/ArmA players are not the kind of people that uninstall the game after they finish it, or throw it out once the graphics are "outdated" and trade it in for the next commercial POS.

Quote[/b] ]I'm willing to wait another year if that's what it takes to redo the textures and models.

Then the solution is really simple, forget ArmA and wait for Game2 or buy ArmA a year after its release. By then it will very likely have replacement addons that improve the original sounds, models and textures. But then it will already need to match the next generation corridor shooters X and Y instead of BF2 and Quake Wars, right? rofl.gif

Funny, I think BF2 looks like ass.  Not only are the models inacurate and akwardly posed, they also have wierd low resolution textures.  The effects are the worst part.  The wierd explosions and shadowing that looks like GFX card artifacts. tounge2.gif

Quake Wars looks pretty damn good, but I think ArmA will be too time consuming for me to get it.

But your wrong about ArmA's visuals, they're just as amazing. tounge2.gif   I think the soldier models look a little "gray" in the skin beacuse they were brought in with a 3d-scanner or just referance shots.  Looks like they didn't compensate for harsh studio lighting, to me.

Also, BF doesn't even come in to the ballpark of ArmA for effects. The weather, the lighting model, the shadows, and especialy the explosions.

armabf2comparisonck0.jpg

I compiled a little comparison between ArmA and BF2. As you can see ArmA has a rough look but it's so much more than just the looks. It has a dept and vastness which no other game comes even close to. BF2 on otherhand has a sleezy and oiled look which is pretty much it is. It might be popular for a few months but then people move on to newer games.

So this is not a joke!

The only reason I still play BF2 is its quick and easy. But even that I play PRMM. You know, that 30 mins after work.

We shall take your sincere request under equally sincere advisement.