Sign in to follow this  
Snake'nS

Why the buildings arent destroyed like in VBS???

I was wondering why the buildings arent destroyed like in VBS???

Destroy a bulding in arma is like destroy a bulding in age of empres 2.... crazy_o.gif

Tell me that in the final version we will see the vbs system...

Sory for my english.

I think maybe BIS are working on it not sure, maybe.

(PS sorry for my english im Canadian)

in vbs the damage is localizated, you shoot to the middle of a building and you see a nice hole...

I dont know if it is perfect, but what i saw in the video was better than the actual system.

I dont think they have completed or implemented the feature you describe. I may be wrong on that, though.

edit: and by that, I mean that the video I think you saw was a tech demo for VBS and not a feature they have committed to or patched in to VBS yet.

VBS never had that system, it was merely a demo of what might be possible. It was never put into the actual version...

I have no idea of scripting nor mission or addon making. Actually nothing but playing the game.. but I think it is pretty easy to implement destructable buildings aka VBS style..

it should go something like this:

check classtype

classtype=buildings

check pos of hit at buildingxyz

pos of hit at buldingxyz=0.6539

get round info

round hit 0.6539=73mmHEAT

set radius destruction from 0.6539

radius of destruction=3.4 meters

thats it... now every building that is hit will have a radius for the hole and this is calculated by the power of the round that hit the spot. biggrin_o.gif

Currently in ArmA, when you shoot enough a building some dust appears, and the building literally falls under the ground.

I was wondering why the buildings arent destroyed like in VBS???

Because it was just a test AFAIK. smile_o.gif

Currently in ArmA, when you shoot enough a building some dust appears, and the building literally falls under the ground.

first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the vid was "oh golly WTC effect!!"

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Oct. 23 2006,08:06)]I have no idea of scripting nor mission or addon making. Actually nothing but playing the game.. but I think it is pretty easy to implement destructable buildings aka VBS style..

check classtype

classtype=buildings

get round info

thats it... now every building that is hit will have a radius for the hole and this is calculated by the power of the round that hit the spot. biggrin_o.gif

What you are describing is a boolean operation that is much, much, much more complicated than you describe. So complicated, that 3ds max's boolean operations don't even function properly. Remember, these 3d images aren't physical objects. You can't just carve a sphere out of them. There are complex mathematical equations that are best visualized as a wireframe. To calculate some kind of sphere wireframe made of triangles intersecting some kind of box wireframe made out of triangles, you have to do some very very involved calculus to *estimate* where they intersect, nevermind decide how to best cut them out. What you're usually left with is a huge vertex infested mess. Not only that, but your texture coordinates are all stretched all over the place. I'm not sure if this type of procedure will be common in computer games for some time.

I think the destruction buildings will not be like in VBS1 because they will be better for ARMA. smile_o.gif

I think the destruction buildings will not be like in VBS1 because they will be better for ARMA. smile_o.gif

certainly hope so, but the video really flattened my hopes... btw did they say the buildings will be dynamically destructible?? cos if they did that's not what I call dynamic huh.gif

People on this subject seem to forget the huge amount of resources it would take for the buildings to be dynamically destructable. Think about it, you've seen the size of some of those citys, imagine a arty strike on them and the amount of CPU power it would need to "dynamically" destroy those buildings.

It seems these days what ever BIS seems to do, they always get asked to do something else better, or that after they've gone to the effort of making something, the people on this forum go and moan at them for doing it. Its being to get old and annoying.

You dont know what it really is like at the moment. You wont know what it is like until you get the damn game installed on your computer and you try to blow up the building. Would you rather have a crumpled mess? I think not.

So stop moaning and wait for the finished product. Plus another thing. Search the forums first, like the post above shows, you would have found an answer.

The arguement that "building destruction like VBS is beyond modern computers!" kinda seems silly when you realize that VBS is run on modern computers.

Actually, its not, becuase the VBS1 Module for dynamically destroyed buildings was never released. You only see a few buildings colapse, not an entire city which is what some people want. Therefore, the arguement still stands, as the VBS building distruction was never run on modern computers.

BIS doesn't just cater for people with the best computers in the world you know.

Alright... if it is virtually impossible to have buildings with holes and that collapse better than the one we have seen in the video... what about having a  ...

building that when is destroyed, still leaves a "skeleton" like

groundzero.jpg

instead of a plain zone you can walk on 1 min after collapse. Is this also hard to be done ?

Less work than many other options. It does require modelling and texturing a different 'ruin' for each of the building types used in Arma.

Unless they can come up with a way of spawning a few random objects in random orientation within the area previously occupied by the building and maybe even proportional in number to the building size.

Nice idea, because it would be great if a destroyed building would provide a bit of cover at least for infantry. that would also be nicer when you look at tanks rolling over the mess.

Though, this is just an idea.

I am glad that destructible buildings at least are in Arma now. And its better than the crumptled mess that produced clipping bugs and still block the way totally or even more.

BUT im very sure that what weve seen in the video is not the final version. There will be a lot of graphical improvement anyways, may it be a slower falling animation or so.

So noone should complain at this time

No we are not really complaining...

"the one who has stopped to improve himself, has stopped to be good" (poor translation from german tounge2.gif )

It would just be a bit... wrong ... if 5 tanks fire at a town for 1 minute and there is no town left lol

There should be ruins, the least buildings collapse into nothing. It takes placed explosive charges and weeks or month of preparation to let a building collapse like in the video.

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Oct. 23 2006,08:06)]I have no idea of scripting nor mission or addon making. Actually nothing but playing the game.. but I think it is pretty easy to implement destructable buildings aka VBS style..

check classtype

classtype=buildings

get round info

Plaintiff1 has already described how much more complex the issue is than simply working out a sphere of destruction. To make buildings destructible you'd need to make buildings out of lots of sub-models, each sub-model having various swappable variants, and a general building logic to keep overall damage levels for the entire structure, to prevent for example upper floors remaining when lower floors are destroyed.

I'd be happy with a sort of OFP style damage (where the model gets distorted) and then a total building collapse as per the video, but much slower and with more persistent dust.

The arguement that "building destruction like VBS is beyond modern computers!" kinda seems silly when you realize that VBS is run on modern computers.

Agreed. Arguments like these result in no progression.

Making a short video clip featuring single plain-looking buildings getting destroyed is hardly proof of it can be done in a reasonable manner.