Sign in to follow this  
TFOGas

Battlerecorder

Hey folks, I have a question for you all.

My question is, will this game include a battlerecorder for the rendering of games after the play stops.

I am a founder and member of  www.GamerzTheatre.com and we as a group love the movie making aspects of any new game. I can see lots of potential in Armed Assault for us, but the battlerecorder tool would be essential to our needs. We have among our members some of the best BF2 movie and machinima makers. Snoken (mine) StRuPiE (The Fallen One BF V)

Crazycanuck and Jaws (Hostile Acts) to name a few.

I will show here a re-edit showing the pre release trailers from the PoE mod.

PoE Movie

Also the latest movie premiered on our website by Clan22

Watch Quarintine

Please use the download feature of Google to improve your viewing and acoustic pleasure.

<TFO>Gas

ArmA and OFP have a built-in scriptengine that includes a camerascript.

You can do much better (and diverse) cutscenes than the one POE has done , allthough it is a piece of art ,i must admit.

Bringing it to a videoformat however requires FRAPS or a similar program.

Greets Chris

ArmA and OFP have a built-in scriptengine that includes a camerascript.

You can do much better (and diverse) cutscenes than the one POE has done , allthough it is a piece of art ,i must admit.

Bringing it to a videoformat however requires FRAPS or a similar program.

Greets Chris

Thats good to know, any idea what that script-engine can do?

IE does it have a rewind, multi cam angles or any other feature we can look forward too. Details please........and thankyou.

We all use fraps with-in the group.

The P.o.E footage was shot by the modders themselves, I simply recut them (2 teasers) and rendered them with my own music.

Watch Quarintine please as I feel the this group of movie makers have excelled themselves in producing a classic BF2 movie.

<TFO>Gas

By battlerecorder you mean a tool which records everything that happens during the gameplay into a replay file? I doubt that ArmA will have that. Though the After Action Review 3 (AAR3) module exists for VBS1 so it shouldn't be hard for them to add it to ArmA. I guess we just have to wait and see.

You can still make great movies if you are skilled with the mission editor and at camera scripting. Pretty much anything you can think of is possible. Combined with the AI scripting in ArmA you can be a true director of the movie. It's lots of work but the result is only limited by your skills as a movie maker.

I'm not sure but I think that ArmA will preload the intro's so you can make much faster camera movements and switches without losing frames.

The last thing I want is a battlerecorder. Just slows down the server and offers you only some lag.

@Lepardi: no comment..

@TFOGas:

little is known for sure, yet most probably ArmA wont have recording and replay ability itself.

maybe the fans can create somewhat close to it, but this will take some time.

so no realtime recording in mp as its looks, for sp / static scenes the ofp/arma scripting engine offers a lot of possibilities,

but its not based on a recording stream but on mapping the mission / scene you want/need to have.

so quite different than you are used to it from proper in built implementation.

time accel/de~ is possible yet not rewind or something.

ps: you have some outstanding vids on http://www.GamerzTheatre.com (featured movies) - respect!

Guest Ti0n3r

I doubt it. I'm guessing BIS are too lazy to even bother.

Most FPS games have console command that can enable recording that you can play in game afterwards. This wouldn't lag any servers as it's user side function wink_o.gif. But I doubt ArmA will have such commands let alone a true console.

A battlerecorder's functionality cannot be replaced by any amount of cinematic camera scripting.

A battlerecorder's functionality cannot be replaced by any amount of cinematic camera scripting.

True but OFP allows you to make more advanced movies if you can accept that you can't use replays to make the movies.

You can still make great movies if you are skilled with the mission editor and at camera scripting. Pretty much anything you can think of is possible. Combined with the AI scripting in ArmA you can be a true director of the movie. It's lots of work but the result is only limited by your skills as a movie maker.

Not really. OFP's camera scripting is severly limited. That doesn't mean it isn't good when looking at other games. But calling it "limited only by your skill as a movie maker" is not true. smile_o.gif

Not really. OFP's camera scripting is severly limited. That doesn't mean it isn't good when looking at other games. But calling it "limited only by your skill as a movie maker" is not true. smile_o.gif

So tell me about the severe limitations in the scripting. Or are you talking about real life camera features and visual effects?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a tool from Kegetys, I think it's called Fwatch or something like that, which works as a pseudo-battlerecorder?

@[ZG]BUZZARD - Fwatch works only with vehicles, basicly it record and later, when you watch replay, set velocity of vehicles. You can't use it with humans beacuse you can't get what moves where played [AFAIK in ArmA it will be possible, look at ArmA command ref].

I doubt it. I'm guessing BIS are too lazy to even bother.

Heh lazy? i dare say not lazy, but busy is a better word... I mean they keep pulling for us, it has to end sometime dont ya think?

I my self think that battle-recorder is of no big issue but an After Action type of addon or mod would be cool especialy for clans and squads...

This wouldn't lag any servers as it's user side function wink_o.gif.

It can only be a server side in multiplayer... it's all about synchronization.

I my self think that battle-recorder is of no big issue but an After Action type of addon or mod would be cool especialy for clans and squads...

The way I see it there is no differance between a battle recorder and an after action tool. Both tools would allow clans, squads and movie makers to reveiw and record the past action. Therfor giving the movie makers the option of staging, modding sets and making there movies.

The machinima side of gaming is growing rapidly, and a few of the gamers are now recognized as fine producers, StRuPiE and Little-Donkey have produced one of the best story lines and movies using the Battlefield Veitnam engine. Snoken has given us many a chuckle in BF2 with his Mine 1 & 2.

These movies when well produced can bring more new gamers to a game than is sometime given credit.

<TFO>Gas

The way I see it there is no differance between a battle recorder and an after action tool. Both tools would allow clans, squads and movie makers to reveiw and record the past action. Therfor giving the movie makers the option of staging, modding sets and making there movies.

The machinima side of gaming is growing rapidly, and a few of the gamers are now recognized as fine producers, StRuPiE and Little-Donkey have produced one of the best story lines and movies using the Battlefield Veitnam engine. Snoken has given us many a chuckle in BF2 with his Mine 1 & 2.

These movies when well produced can bring more new gamers to a game than is sometime given credit.

<TFO>Gas

It would be a great feature but as people have posted it's not essential. You can make great movies without it. The mission editor is quite simple so you can stage the things you need without much effort. If you spend some time on learning about scripting then you can make quite impressive things without even involving any human players.

This wouldn't lag any servers as it's user side function wink_o.gif.

It can only be a server side in multiplayer... it's all about synchronization.

Not sure about that. All clients receive information on other players, after all they need to shoot each other wink_o.gif

I vaguely recall that most quake3 games have client-side demo capturing, it should be possible in ArmA, too.

I vaguely recall that most quake3 games have client-side demo capturing, it should be possible in ArmA, too.

Lol, what a comparrision confused_o.gif

AAR would be nice for ArmA. But I think it wont be used that much, just like the "replay" functions in most games: you watch what you done, you think "oh thats cool" and after that you never press the replay button again

rundll.exe you seriously missed one of the big trends in the MP community  confused_o.gif

replay functionality is essential for any professional mp game

you might wanna check the communities being built around that feature ... no its not 2 people, not 1000, more like X.X00.000++ (see warcraft, starcaft, ut, quake to name a few up-to-date games in terms of multiplayer functionality).

you know, there are even 24/7 TV channels making use of live streaming and replay functionality ...  banghead.gif

do you know why games like starcraft (~7 years old) and warcraft are still being played massively (compared to newer RTS) apart from having great gameplay?

do you know why games like starcraft (~7 years old) and warcraft are still being played massively (compared to newer RTS) apart from having great gameplay?

not because they have a "replay" button rofl.gif

I was talking about SP anyway.

maybe you like to re-read my sentence wink_o.gif