Sign in to follow this  
jaffo

Disable the scoreboard in Co-op

Not being a scripter/mission maker at all, I don't know if this is already possible with OFP but I think it would be more conducive to good teamplay in ArmA to disable the scoreboard in co-op missions (or have the option to). If you need stats, there are plenty you could display for the team, weapon accuracy etc without showing individual kills.

Most of the servers I play on are full of OFP veterans, not frag chasers but even on those servers people get distracted by kills and the teamplay element suffers as a result. Gamemodes like DM and KOTH might need scoreboards but pretty much everything else just needs to tell you which team is winning/has won.

Just my two penneth  wink_o.gif

Now this is an excellent idea.

Personally I'd prefer personal stats to removed entirely from the game just to spite those frag chasing rambos, but just having the option to do it would probably be enough.

I agree on this, I am getting sick of the people in my clan tinking its about who has the best score its about team play.

I tink it should be posible not sure how WGL did this but mabey if BIS could turn this into a option or a script command it whould be great.

The Unknown

Theres something to be said about disabling the scoreboard in certain circumstances. However i've found people do like to see their own kill to death ratio.

With WGL it's quite nice as the scoreboard is completely greyed out - although you can still see who you killed etc at the end of the mission, which is usually quite fun :P

Works well - you're concentrated on teamplay in the mission, and afterwards you get to see how you did.

Although I noticed VBS1 has a function to put the 'I' scoreboard off in the options - would be nice for ArmA.

After game stats would be a really nice feature. The games, CTI's especially, could have RTS-like stats. So you'll see graphs of the development of the game. This could included the size of the forces, sectors held, losses of men etc.

Individual ingame kill count is crap though.

Individual killcount is far too "arcady". Armed Assault being a near enough simulation of warfare should give some useful figures. Though Operation Flashpoint does already give you how many team members lost, it would be a greater simulation to find out how much ammunition was spent, average distance for shots and mission success in purhaps percentages.

Or an option to disable those "x killed x" messages so playing in adversial games without respawn would be a LOT more exciting since you would not have any idea how well/badly your team was doing or if you actually shot that machinegunner or did he just hightail it. yay.gif

Sure ,like in Ghost Recon

Who has done his Job better if the Job was to kill one special Person.

The Gunner with 10 Kills and 100 shoots = 10 %

Or the Sniper with one shoot = 100%

And my wish is please count the "Blown" Money for the Mags :-)

For those Guys who kill Soldiers with hellfires or rockets instead of the gun !

you can do this in OFP too EiZei - just not optional. its on or off.

Or an option to disable those "x killed x" messages so playing in adversial games without respawn would be a LOT more exciting since you would not have any idea how well/badly your team was doing or if you actually shot that machinegunner or did he just hightail it. yay.gif

Aye. In real life you might never know if your grenade/shell/bomb actually killed anyone - let alone whether it killed half the opposing team. The same goes for shooting through walls - is it really realistic to know that you killed someone that way until you actually go around it and find out?

Never knowing exactly how many enemy are out there, is more fun too. You have to be careful until you can actually count the bodies.

you can do this in OFP too EiZei - just not optional. its on or off.

I believe you can still count them through the scoreboard though.

thats true EiZei. yet you can disable both wink_o.gif

(of course there are still external progs to check ... and you could combat this by adding/removing points/"score" "system" inside the mission).

isnt it quite simple for mission makers?

make a script that uses the addScore

command and use it to decrease the score everytime it hits 1

quik untested example:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

#start

@score player > 0

_score = score player

player addscore -_score

goto start

this would leave the score at zero if im right

Anyway, an option in game would be better (server config)

@llauma

This is already in crCTI : Statisitics at end of game (and during game for your team)

I'm afraid I disagree with most of the posts in this thread. It really sucks not having a scoreboard, especially with the really shoddy way that OFP reports statistics in the after-action report (the after-action point/star/circle thing is something I have never understood)...

I can't even believe some of the things you guys are suggesting. I mean - you can't really be serious about disabling the entire scoreboard by default now can you? And the way that some of you even took it further saying that the entire statistical system (including the after-action review point totals) should be abolished all together is just plain counterproductive to the game! What are you thinking?!?!

I could support something but only if it was an OPTION and not something forced upon us.

I can't even believe some of the things you guys are suggesting. I mean - you can't really be serious about disabling the entire scoreboard by default now can you? And the way that some of you even took it further saying that the entire statistical system (including the after-action review point totals) should be abolished all together is just plain counterproductive to the game! What are you thinking?!?!

I'm thinking that you've got it the wrong way around. The score system is counterproductive, it discourages team-play, which defies the point of even having teams. For us realism fans it ruins the game by destroying the 'fog of war' and introducing certainty where there should be none.

You can't be thinking that individual score system and especially stats tracking such as in BF2 actually improves the games?

I'm thinking that you've got it the wrong way around. The score system is counterproductive, it discourages team-play, which defies the point of even having teams. For us realism fans it ruins the game by destroying the 'fog of war' and introducing certainty where there should be none.

You can't be thinking that individual score system and especially stats tracking such as in BF2 actually improves the games?

I'm not really sure what your point is. Teamplay simply cannot be found on public servers except when something like TeamSpeak or Ventrilo is available. Those who want to utilize teamwork will use it regardless of a scoreboard or not. Those who do not want to utilize teamwork will try and fail regardless of a scoreboard or not.

Fog of war - fine then. Just don't open up the scoreboard. Back in the days of the great C&H I very rarely was able to utilize as an actual tactical advantage.

Um, and who said Armed Assault was going to have BF2 style statistics? The stats/points system on that game are what made me stop playing it.

I wouldn't remove it either. making it optional sounds fine though. preferably a server switch.

i agree that there should be at LEAST a option to turn this on and off as we usually get braging in places like

OMG I GOT THE HIGHEST KILLS IM AM TEH BEST U NOOBS

and other wired stuff like that and plus its more fun and all thats as well so i got my fingers crossed for something like this

Yeah, it should be a difficult options "Server Side options" like Third person, tracers etc...

Because you can also cheat using the scoreboard to know if you killed the far man hidden in the bush or not.

Cheating using the scoreboard (did I just kill it or not?) is rather bung. Not even knowing if your teammate is alive or dead adds to the game.

I play WGL only so I'm used to having no scoreboard. I wouldn't mind if only deaths were listed on the scoreboard. The man with 1 kill and 0 deaths is 100x better than the man with 100 kills and 1 death. Fact.

ArmA is a wide public arcadey game, so I'm convinced that mods will un-arcadey it for those that want it. If in-game score would be in the server options, it'd save the mod makers time and effort only.

I don't think it would take more than 30 minutes to add a difficult option that remove Kill indicators / Scoreboard.

I think it's a pretty cool idea to be able to turn the scorebored on and off, evidently quite a few people here think so too!

I agree even more with the option to turn off messages of 'X killed X' because you simply don't know if you have killed someone or not unless its blatantly obvious.

Example Someone behind sandbags is shooting at you, you hit him, he falls over, you don't go over there if it says you killed him, but you continue to lob hand grenades in that direction until it says you have killed him.

Its got nothing to do with having no scorebored, its got everything to do with having the ability to turn it off/the messages off. I get so sick and tired of the two highest scorers vying for 'supremacy' that encourages such attitudes. Cheats all have one thing in common, they want to reach the top and be recognised for it, which reflects on the scorebored. They want their name to come up all the time as having killed someone. Have the option available to be turned off so they don't have their satisfaction. More genuine people are interested in seing their aftergame performance anyrate... often in private

It aint about disabling it alltogether, it's about the community deciding what they want to encourage in their game. I think its a fantastic Idea, probably one of the best ingame ideas for ArmA thats been put forward for multiplayer play! notworthy.gif