Sign in to follow this  
martinovic

Breath Holding?

Elite was for Xbox.. how much do you trust the opinion of an Xbox user? (Must offence to all consolers intended)

Nah it is realistic, Armed Assault is a soldier simulator so it makes things as realistic as possible, that includes gun movement. It is extremely importent for a sniper and riflemen firing over long distances. Oh and remember, you won't be running up and down hills every single moment of Armed Assault so you won't always be starving your brain of oxygen. And I think your brain can go ten seconds without oxygen.

did it ever happened to you that when you get up too fast, you feel dizzy for awhile? that's the result of your brain getting less oxygen for one second. imagine what no oxygen for ten seconds would do. not really an improvement of your concentration and ability to extrapolate where to intercept the target.

add to that the fact your hearing and eyesight go down first when you need oxygen and you will see that this is more of a con then a pro...

Actually I think that's because your blood is having a harder time getting to your brain(of course, the blood carries the oxygen to the brain...) so it's a bit different than a lack of oxygen due to holding your breath.

And Elite has breath holding in it. Slightly pull the firing trigger and you hold your breath. Pull a bit more to fire.

Elite was for Xbox.. how much do you trust the opinion of an Xbox user? (Must offence to all consolers intended)

More than I would trust an asshole PC elitists opinion. I'm not really calling YOU an asshole, just that mentality.

More than I would trust an asshole PC elitists opinion.  I'm not really calling YOU an asshole, just that mentality.

I second that. Now, more than ever.

This elitist arrogance of (i hope only a few) pc ofp fans make me sick.

100$ xbox, 30$ XBL, 20$ copy of OFP:E gives you ofp quality experience a current OFP/PC platform will NEVER offer.

Ppl go, wil there be waves? Will there be waves ... hehehe we had waves back in oct 2005!! (Same for birds, bees, JIP and yes 'holding your breath' which is very ok)

And with all the modding capabilities of the pc i still find classic modded OFP a dead zone compared to Elite.

EDIT: But what worries/irritates me most is the fact that (some) ofp pc gamers say OFP is 'much better than BF, GR, whatever' for good reason but trash Elite without realizing Elite is the better OFP version. And this all just because Elite is a console version. I mean, how stupid can this reasoning be?

I do a bit of shooting, both when doing bushwalk *with a rifle*. Depends what sort of situation i'm in. I always try to shoot at the top or bottom of the breath except where fast reflexes are required. I think having a holding breath would be usefull, dependant on your physical exertion, although it would be complicated to model this in.

But there is a certain olympic winter sport where exertion etc come into effect on the shooting. So I certainly support it. I don't think the pedantic conversations here which is more typical of 8 year olds bickering is warrented.

Personally I hope that people that find it worthwhile to bicker so incessantly don't buy the game because their version of real is different from someone elses. Not going to stop me from enjoying the game!

I thought I would clarify it somewhat. Even if it is technically incorrect to hold at the bottom of the breath I use a measly .22 so not much recoil, depending on the situation there isn't time to take another one when your after composure. Yes there is some weapon sway due to hands some, the human arm isn't a precise shooting instrument if your a conscript, however if you are a trained person at shooting, there is a big difference. To explain this further, get a low (or even higher calibre) rifle shooter to try shooting with a bow and arrow. They can't hold it steady, yet a professional can hold it very steadily.

Alternatively cuz it's such a small calibre I don't want to miss!!!! Thats why I hold my breath at whichever point when i'm in a hurry. To minimize the inaccuracies I know exist.

Alternatively cuz it's such a small calibre I don't want to miss!!!!

maybe i've read this wrong but last time i checked, missing something with a large calibre bullet had the same tail-tale lack of lethality.

More than I would trust an asshole PC elitists opinion. I'm not really calling YOU an asshole, just that mentality.

Now let's not get into any kind of pointless console v PC debate, whether anyone likes it or not the Xbox version of Flashpoint was in many ways more realistic than the PC version and ArmA will be more realistic than both.

More than I would trust an asshole PC elitists opinion.  I'm not really calling YOU an asshole, just that mentality.

Now let's not get into any kind of pointless console v PC debate, whether anyone likes it or not the Xbox version of Flashpoint was in many ways more realistic than the PC version and ArmA will be more realistic than both.

Thx Placebo;)

EDIT: And i would like to point to the fact that no Elite player showed any disrespect for the PC version, while the other way round there are mucho examples. I think that stinks. (I will shut up now;)

Not everyone who plays Elite is someone with no experience with OFP on the PC. Anyway you should consider that OFP:E is a lot closer to what ArmA is going to be, both the good and the bad.

Ouch, make one little jabbing jest and the world shows up to your door with pitchforks.

1. I made no comparison of XBox user vs PC user.

2. I made no comment upon OFP:Elite

So 90% of your patriotism is unjustified baseless garbage in response to something I did not say.

If you look at the context in which the post was made you will see it is counter to the notion that "breath control was in OFP:E, no OFP:E players complained about the system, thus the OFP:E breath control is excellent." This is an illogical conclusion. Bill and his 200 friends could go and see "Saving Private Ryan: The Most Realistic WWII Movie", have no complaints, thus Saving Private Ryan must be genuine. It's an analogous situation.

What I'm saying is the opinion of someone playing an XBox game of OFP:E is not sufficient or extremely compelling evidence that the features in said game are genuinely realistic. This extends to PC gamers as well.

Please be more observant and less mob-like in the future; it will save you expensive kerosene for your torches. Out.

Ouch, make one little jabbing jest and the world shows up to your door with pitchforks.

1. I made no comparison of XBox user vs PC user.

2. I made no comment upon OFP:Elite

So 90% of your patriotism is unjustified baseless garbage in response to something I did not say.

If you look at the context in which the post was made you will see it is counter to the notion that "breath control was in OFP:E, no OFP:E players complained about the system, thus the OFP:E breath control is excellent." This is an illogical conclusion. Bill and his 200 friends could go and see "Saving Private Ryan: The Most Realistic WWII Movie", have no complaints, thus Saving Private Ryan must be genuine. It's an analogous situation.

What I'm saying is the opinion of someone playing an XBox game of OFP:E is not sufficient or extremely compelling evidence that the features in said game are genuinely realistic. This extends to PC gamers as well.

Please be more observant and less mob-like in the future; it will save you expensive kerosene for your torches. Out.

Sorry mate, you were out of line, whatever context. I have a genuine feeling for Elite. The game has a very small following and backstabbing it, by the ofp community itself, is in my book one of the worst 'crimes' which could be commited, therefor my counter (as did others)

Go after other games as much as you like, but be careful about Elite references, esp. if you didn't play it yourself.

Sorry mate, you were out of line, whatever context. I have a genuine feeling for Elite. The game has a very small following and backstabbing it, by the ofp community itself, is in my book one of the worst 'crimes' which could be commited.

Though I haven't played OFP:e, and don't feel like I would prefer it over the PC version, I feel you're right.

OFP:e has teached the people in Bohemia ways to optimise their stuff to the limit. look at what Armed Assault is going to offer!

It's a shame allot of reviewers weren't used to the type of game OFPe was, and judged it mostly by it's looks and the fact you couln't take twenty bullets to the brain and fix it by taking a painkiller like in... other games... I wont call names.

However, even though attempts were made, the moddability is about zilch. custom missions are bound by name, and afaik adding a new weapon has happened, but nothing was released. this makes OFP:e much less interesting for the community that was brought together by OFPr's moddability smile_o.gif . Also, a small reason why I dislike OFP is because (of the reviewers), it has brought OFP and bohemia a bad name.

Yep! People should hold their breath before spitting out elitist remarks!  doh.gif

Sry! I couldn't resist it!  biggrin_o.gif    legit.gif

Thread is titled "breath holding", other topics of debate don't belong here smile_o.gif

From what i read or heared (don't remember) from the latest interviews, i think the breath holding sounds fair enough.

The way it was described made me feel as realistic as possible for a game.

Lets just put it like this, for snipers breath control is essential...right? Now, if only snipers could do it in the game would that be realistic? No, that would be stupid.

Why not let everyone try their own style? Shooting at top/bottom of breath or hold is up to the shooter as it stands now....perfect.

I only hope that it will be much tougher to hit target at med/long ranges, and especially moving ones.

Btw, IRL I hold my breath.

Ps: Anyone know if ArmA will have 25/300m zero? (Aim low between those ranges) It would add alot IMO....dont VBS1 have this?

IMO, this feature would be good only if there is more weapon sway due to breathing than in OFP (something between OFP and Brothers in arms) Something like FDF mod sway, maybe?

maybe i've read this wrong but last time i checked, missing something with a large calibre bullet had the same tail-tale lack of lethality.

No, With a small calibre there are areas that you are unlikely to get a kill on versus a bigger calibre.

Hitting front skull on with a small calibre aint going to kill unless it hits a soft spot. WIth a heavy caliber its much more likely to fracture the skull.

Everyone is making too big a deal about this, to be honest I doubt half of you will even notice it. In OFP:E, holding your breath translated into slightly depressing the fire button to steady your aim a bit about 1 second (max) before firing. Clearly there's nothing unrealistic about that, and it was only something you needed to make longe range (relatively) shots, especially when your hands weren't steady (out of breath, wounded). It doesn't even have to be breath holding, it can be any preparation (there are various ways to prepare just before firing), the end result (steady aim) is the only thing you noticed, so it doesn't matter what you call it. BIS calls it holding your breath, but I think most of you would be better off thinking of it as a general, last-second preparation for shooting.

Besides, BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) is all dependent on the situation. If you're laying down a base-of-fire for an assault, you're not going to really try to shoot off the wings of a fly. You want your shots to be accurate, but you're not really going for the JFK shot. If you see a target pop-up, you want to make a semi-accurate shot at him, but you're primary goal is to put rounds onto known and suspected enemy locations and fighting positions in order for him to be forced to make a values judgement call if he wants to pop up and lay-down fire.

Now, if you've in watch-and-shoot mode, waiting for the order to lay down a base-of-fire and have eyes-on, or are in overwatch, THATS when you start trying to get that accurate shot.

Letting out half a breath and holding it was what we were trained to do in the U.S. Army in the mid-'80's, even in Basic Training with M16A1's with no optics.

I'm sure nothing has changed. The U.S. military emphasizes accuracy of marksmanship over volume of fire.

I'm sure nothing has changed.  The U.S. military emphasizes accuracy of marksmanship over volume of fire.

really??? biggrin_o.gif

anyway, when you shoot, half the time you wont notice you hold your breath when you actually do. Not to steady aim but as an automatic reaction from the body when concentrating hard.