Sign in to follow this  
Spinal Tap 84

Best Island(s) List

I am always on a quest to find as many awesome islands as I can in order to make a wide varetiy of missions with them.  In my opinion, the mission is only as good as the island it takes place on.  The problem is that unlike addons, islands are a little bit harder to search.  If I want, for example, a MH-60 addon, I can search "MH-60," but if I want a new island the search "island" would produce a large list of results that would be difficult to go through.  

With this thread I am hoping to create a database of sorts for the community (myself inculded) to reference when they are looking for a new island to explore.  

Directions:  Post the name of the island, a brief description of what the features are like (ie desert, rocky, 1 large city, several small villages), what kind of missions it would be good for, and anything you find unique or really enjoy about it.  Screenshots would be nice (links would be preferable in order to reduce bandwith usage), but not neccessary.  Please provide a download link for the island.  If the island requires other addons, then just leave a note saying to reference the readme (surprising how many people don't read the readme file) for required addons.  

I am interested to see what islands are the most popular and checking out some of your reccomendations.

I'll make the first contribution.  I prefer maps with lots of enterable buildings personally.  The two islands I will post have a fair amount of enterable buildings.

I have been using HeinBloed's Freya island alot recently.  It is a large, hilly, wooded island that uses BIS buildings.  There is one medium sized city in the center with approx ten more smaller cities/towns, around five military bases, and three airports.  Excellent for combined arms operations.  The island could logically be devided up east/west for campaigns and a CTI version is included.  

Freya

Remo's Afghan Everon v2 is another favorite.  Obviously it is a mountainous desert map with some green areas and farms.  Two or three smaller cities with a good number of large villages.  One airfield, two bases, and one training camp.  Lots of enterable buildings.  Works with a variety of missions.  No additional addons required for either map.

Afghan Everon v2

Drago2 would prbably have to be one of my favorites.

Its a moutainous type group of islands, with several medium sized towns and villages, plus acouple of bases. Its main features are its foliage, taking advantage of both Berghoff's Nature Pack, and is covered in grass. The layout of the map is good, and allows for plenty of senarios.

Missions it would be good for, anything where eye candy is important really. Campaign or mission wise, it can easily be divided into north and south to simulate 2 countries/factions. The outlying islands allow for artillery/air bases etc.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=10093

Some of my favourites:

Novajev Top notch island that has a believable lay out with very good built up areas, good road system and nicely ordered rural areas.

Havelte Dutch terrain, flat, lots of waterways and bridges dictates a different style of play than other islands.

Anjou V3 Western European feel to the map, excellent expedient airfield, many forests and hedges that allow one to sneak up on opponents.

Don Steppe Wide open spaces are good for armour operations. A few well placed air defence systems can make life hell for pilots on this map.

Avignon Does not use any addons. Well laid out island.

Ia Drang SEBNAM 2 island remains one of the best Vietnam styled islands.

Freya A very large Nordic island with many bridges and chokepoints.

* EDIT *

Almost gforgot to add another of my favourites:

Trinity A very varied island with some good chokepoints

Regards,

Sander

Have all of you forgot Tonal?

However nice that island was, I have also not forgotten the low framerates... sad_o.gif

Nogova is the best BIS island (or maybe Everon, I think most of my ingame time was on Everon).

It's been a while, so I don't remember all names exactly, but Freija and Nogova 2004 are good 3rd party islands.

All a y'all, except JdB (and including me) are drunk

- Mapfact Nogova whoops ass. TCS Plage is a freakin' genius.

- Ironsight's Nogova 2004 gets a mention for being already mentioned.

- OPFL Lechistan is another good one, as is

- HC Para's Kolgujev 2010.

Just on a sidenote: maybe more then the already mentioned

are drunk. tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

As far as i remember right, Nogova 2004 was made by

Ironsight.

Mapfact Nogova is the one you meant.

~S~ CD

OFPL Lechistan

DMA Libya

Nogova

Anjou

Normandie

Canyonda

Star Light City 2

It's been a while, so I don't remember all names exactly, but Freija and Nogova 2004 are good 3rd party islands.

Wow that people still remember it. Remember when I released it, old times yespe4.gif

Didn't we already have a topic for best islands?

But to add my list:

1. BAS Tonal

2. DMA Libya

3. CAT/AGS Afghanistan

4. Bushfires-Bardamu Djibouti island (too bad it never got released).

Everon, even today 90% of my OFP-time is spend on everon biggrin_o.gif

But i also like Project Owl and Chechen Lahta (or something)

EDIT: Oh and Gaia has nice citys smile_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Everon, Nogova, Kolgujev, Malden wink_o.gif

...CAT Afghanistan is the best one out there. Especially together with FFUR '06.

Also, the FDF islands are some of the best ones too.

Easily 90% if not more of my OFP time is spent on Desert island and Everon.

Desert island for when i need to test something and Everon for when i make concept for scripts/missions.

For user made islands, considering the time i spent playing OFP on them , my favorites are certainly :

-Sarugao (the 1st version, not the 2005 one)

-Dr No's island

-Afghanistan (the ag_smith remake)

- Winter Nogojev

But now there are many very good islands that i appreciate for various reasons, but the 4 ones listed are my favorites

Yeah we do have multiple threads, I was originally gonna name this thread favorite islands so I didn't get any duplicate search results when I typed "favorite island."  Thx for all the responses, and sorry for the mishap.

Noe2 is the best yet. But there are plenty of great unreleased islands. GOON's Najaf (complete) for example.

Well, the islands on my 'best' list so far are Nogova, Tonali and Tonal biggrin_o.gif

I spend most of my time on Nogova, its a great island. Most of my favorite third party island have already been mentioned.

FDF Suursaari, FDF Eastborder, and Kolgujev (with hi-res ground and foliage) it just has that "Soviet sattelite-state" feel to it...

1. Nogajev << Excellent island, fills missing parts of Nogova

2. Afghan Everon << Those houses are great

3. Leusderheide << Best training ground for whole of OFP

4. Trinity << Large island, and I build my house there! biggrin_o.gif

5. Mapfact Nogova (normal) << Great ILS!

thumbs-up.gif

there a millions of great islands, i am sure mission editors know every single undulation and tree in the original maps. They feel like home now...

But for user missions.... well not the best maps but my favorites are Normandy island, it is a nice size and has some good features for WWII missions.

Cat afgan, for sure.... But it is so big I never know where to begin!

La drang valley... for enhancing those nam flashbacks, one of the first islands released in one of the first and one of the best mods Nam pack (2)