Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

Destructive Buildings

You can definately see pieces falling off a building and end up resting on the ground in the czech tv clip though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WkXXPJudvMs

Thats not the bridge?  tounge2.gif

IIRC From a vid the pieces of the bridge DO fall down, but we couldnt see how they landed (Maybe they fell trough the groun and after the anim was finished they get put back on the ground? Maybe the anim stops once it detects that the pieces are at ground level? Something completely different? We dunno, but we will see once ArmA is out...) tounge2.gif

I don't know what it is but it seems different in color and shape than the bridge.

it is the bridge...the quality of the video is just very low...and i think it looks like that the pieces r not falling through the ground...they just fall down and then lay at the ground of the bridge...

if thats really that kind of destruction in ArmA, then lets hope that not only this one bridge will be fully destructable...would be a bit funny if there r objects which can be nicely destroyed next to the ugly polygon smashed objects...

remember the ofp bridge when it was destroyed...omg...u got stuck in it and u were happy if u were able to die. lol

it is the bridge...the quality of the video is just very low...and i think it looks like that the pieces r not falling through the ground...they just fall down and then lay at the ground of the bridge...

if thats really that kind of destruction in ArmA, then lets hope that not only this one bridge will be fully destructable...would be a bit funny if there r objects which can be nicely destroyed next to the ugly polygon smashed objects...

remember the ofp bridge when it was destroyed...omg...u got stuck in it and u were happy if u were able to die. lol

No its from Game2, it was shown in the interview with ondrejs scary hair . Just a second before it you saw this thing which is clearly from game2, and after it you saw the Game2 soldiers.

Oh, and another point why its from game2, ArmA HAS NO dynamic destruction! banghead.giftounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]ArmA HAS NO dynamic destruction!

And you know this because... uh, how do you know it? I think I've missed something.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, just that you don't know it. The bridge might be somewhat dynamically destructible instead of just a canned animation.

Quote[/b] ]ArmA HAS NO dynamic destruction!

And you know this because... uh, how do you know it? I think I've missed something.

Because there is not a single piece of evidence that there is, while BIS has said that they wouldnt make big improvements in the physics. The only dynamic destruction we saw was in Game2 pics/vids. Have you heard BIS saying anything about the destruction at all? and Why isnt it mentioned here?

Because it isnt in.

Personally I think the speculation-part is the actual reason why there is such a thing as a game forum. Information has been quite limited, it generally is when it comes to games. So unless BIS states otherwise, that's all we can do.

Personally I think the speculation-part is the actual reason why there is such a thing as a game forum. Information has been quite limited, it generally is when it comes to games. So unless BIS states otherwise, that's all we can do.

Well you guys keep speculating that there is, so ill keep speculating that there isnt, then we are all happy, ok? wink_o.gif

Well you guys keep speculating that there is, so ill keep speculating that there isnt, then we are all happy, ok? wink_o.gif

I think you're better off trying to convince a potato to turn orange... confused_o.gif

so u wanna say that this pic is from Game2?

i dont think so...

here another one...and i think its clear that its the bridge which can be destroyed...

Bah, at least me and ofpforum agree whistle.gif

Seriously, BIS would have let us know that ArmA contained destructable buildings if it did. If they wouldn't let us know, they've fucked up on the PR part of ArmA. A very important part of making and selling the game is getting people interested in the game so it sells. They have to do that quite early, not like 1 week before the game is released. The way they get people interested is by telling the nice parts of the game. The game won't sell good if BIS just says: "Aigh, the game is like this: you're liek a man. You got this gun, and you shoot this other man, and he dies. Ãœber nice, eh?". They have to show that the game is special. Therefor they pull out the parts that make the game worth playing. BIS have done this by bragging like hell about the size of the island for example. That's a smart thing to do. When people see that they'll get interested, because it makes ArmA stand out from the crowd of shitty FPS games. Destructable buildings isn't a very usual thing in games yet. And TBH the combination of having a shitbig island and every building on that island is destructable would be one of the things that would draw most attention to the game. Sooo, either BIS is reeeeeeeeeeeeeally shitty in marketing, or they simply haven't got destructable buildings. And honestly, I don't think BIS would fuck up that big time and not mention the destructable buildings...They may have destructable bridge, but most likely it's some easy thing they've made for the bridge, since a bridge is a simple building, and therefor probably easy to fix the destructable part.

I would not worry.  I am sure BIS are doing there utmost to give use the best possible product.  Anyway if Destructable buildings are not present there are always mods...  check this out...  OFP Mod

Well, that's realy nice but is it lag i notice or did they use an acctime command to slow it down?

Yea, that's quite old news actually. Was someone who had modelled a house where you could shoot the door to pieces etc, but the problem is it's no doable in a large scale. Needs too much CPU power. Of course, it is possible that BIS adds some new scripting stuff etc to ArmA that makes it easier on the CPU, but I doubt it. Destroyable buildings isn't such a big deal IMO. Would be nice, but I'll do fine without it.

so u wanna say that this pic is from Game2?

i dont think so...

here another one...and i think its clear that its the bridge which can be destroyed...

Thats clearly ArmA, the vid with the destructed building is (not so clearly, but if you watch the whole vid then it becomes clear) Game2, mail Marek is you dont believe me ffs tounge2.gif

ANIMATION! NOT DYNAMIC! banghead.gif

don't think it's animated, think it's based on spawning objects etc, which is lot worse than animation. It makes it look better, but it drain loooooooooooots of CPU. Deadmeat said in a topic here that he worked on mods for this both in VBS and OFP, but that it's impossible in large scale because it just needs too much CPU. Just imagine the horrible lag if you drop a few LGB bombs over Monty on everon and blow 6-7 buildings at a time. You would have hundreds of pieces flying around...now imagine if you had 3 LGBs doing the same over 3 different towns, each blowing 6-7 buildings...that would mean possibly like 300-500 pieces needing to be spawned and given velocity and direction etc etc...it would kill your computer whistle.gif

And if somebody still thinks it's possible, just go ask anybody who's been working on this for VBS/OFP. They'll all tell you the same. It's possible in a small scale, not a big scale...

Oh and how do you know that?

OFPE, also bridge destruction ANIMS, and as ArmA is an upgraded version of OFPE that kinda fills it in?

@Garcia, although its true for OFP/VBS1, you have to remember that BIS made some engine changes for OFPE and ArmA, and that the way anims are handled is radically changed (anims are now stored together with the model, which opens up the possibility for animated buildings) smile_o.gif

(But i like it that you actually make sense, instead of just wishful thinking wink_o.gif )

EDIT: The fact that OFP has destruction anims on bridges is based on some vids and reading this forum, my xbox died so i cant check it. I suddenly someone comes along and claims that its dynamic in OFPE, prove it with a vid. Destroy the bridge 15 times and record it, then post it here tounge2.gif

In elite the bridge is above water.

Anyways, we will find out. I'm happy that we have more gunnners on the vehicles already, so if destroyable buildings aren't in yet i won't start crying.

"Dynamic Destroyable" will be not in ArmA - this is sure.

But we know, "DD" system is CPU killer. Only a few people have got Physic Card like AGEIA. Bohemia is createing own PHYSIC engin, so we would have to have one-storeyed processor wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]this is sure

No it's not, not before it hits the shelves. Who knows what will happen if it get's delayed a couple more times etc smile_o.gif

Don't forget Soldner, it had destructible buildings and deformable landscape on a way bigger map than OFP and it works. There's no physics involved except on the trees, the buildings just lose pieces and get holes on them.

Quote[/b] ]this is sure

No it's not, not before it hits the shelves. Who knows what will happen if it get's delayed a couple more times etc smile_o.gif

Yeah, maybe if it gets delayed a few more times BIS turns it into a pony simulator with the most realstic palm-tree-sway!

Its sure that it isnt in the latest version we saw and that BIS has no intention at all to put it in ArmA yay.gif

(Metal Heart @ July 01 2006,23:21) said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]this is sure

Don't forget Soldner, it had destructible buildings and deformable landscape on a way bigger map than OFP and it works. There's no physics involved except on the trees, the buildings just lose pieces and get holes on them.

Creating physical engine requires the large expenditure of work. Later implementing and optimizing him for game also requires time. In Arma surely We will find animated "DD", I think so.

we only need the bridge animation , then we can turn it into whatever we like smile_o.gif.btw , i slowed the last vid down in windows media it wasnt the setacc.