Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

Destructive Buildings

@Garcia, although its true for OFP/VBS1, you have to remember that BIS made some engine changes for OFPE and ArmA, and that the way anims are handled is radically changed (anims are now stored together with the model, which opens up the possibility for animated buildings) smile_o.gif

Yeah, I think I wrote somewhere that it's possible BIS made some changes that will make a bit better in ArmA when it comes to modding the game to have animations or something similar for destroying buildings...if I didn't, then I'll add it now whistle.gifwink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]You don't think really. Creating physical engine requires the large expenditure of work. Later implementing and optimizing him for game also requires time. In Arma surely We will find animated "DD", I think so.

Finally, somebody else than ofpforum that's realised this biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]You don't think really.

Oh yes, I do. Not sure = not 100.00% absolutely positively and completely utterly certain without any doubts whatsoever.

hmmm...so as long as dynamic destrucions r not possible yet, how about to just change the textures of the destroyed house into black and make it burning, so noone can enter it anymore, instead of the smashed polygons like in OFP!?

i think that would be way better than the OFP-system with the invisible walls!

I don't get it, what would be better by changing the texture huh.gif It would look crappy. I'd prefer the OFP destruction rather than some false looking switch where the building is looking all fine, then a shell hits the left bottom corner and the whole building turns black in a blink of a second and the building is in flames. Then I'd rather have no destruction...

Quote[/b] ]dynamic destrucions

I guess we'd better wait for it until PhysX or HavokFX is supported. wink_o.gif

I don't get it, what would be better by changing the texture huh.gif It would look crappy. I'd prefer the OFP destruction rather than some false looking switch where the building is looking all fine, then a shell hits the left bottom corner and the whole building turns black in a blink of a second and the building is in flames. Then I'd rather have no destruction...

yeah ofp's destruction is better than that...

Quote[/b] ]I guess we'd better wait for it until PhysX or HavokFX is supported. wink_o.gif

In my opinnion dynamic destruction doesn't neccessarily need any physical calculation at all. Maybe a little for the projectiles causing the destruction in the first place and for the particle effects (like smoke and debris) but no rigid body simulation.

Here's a couple clips of how it is in Söldner in case some people haven't played it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2TanNGdwIeE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fJu5aA4l6VU

Quote[/b] ]I guess we'd better wait for it until PhysX or HavokFX is supported. wink_o.gif

In my opinnion dynamic destruction doesn't neccessarily need any physical calculation at all. Maybe a little for the projectiles causing the destruction in the first place and for the particle effects (like smoke and debris) but no rigid body simulation.

Here's a couple clips of how it is in Söldner in case some people haven't played it:

The destruction in Soldner isnt really dynamic, we can recreate that in ArmA if we build houses from different objects (some problems will show up, but with some creativity we can handle that) wink_o.gif

The destruction in Soldner isnt really dynamic, we can recreate that in ArmA if we build houses from different objects (some problems will show up, but with some creativity we can handle that) wink_o.gif

I dont think we need full on dynamic destruction, I think Soldner's way is fine.

If it is like soldner, than its very fine....

Guest Ti0n3r

Yeah, that would be more than OK with me... inlove.gif

I dont think we need full on dynamic destruction, I think Soldner's way is fine.

Agreed. Soldner's way was a simple process, which worked for everyone. No complex physics or anything, plain and simple. And, it worked great in Soldner as well.

Question, are the trees able to be knocked down like in Soldner? Like if you shot a tank shell at a tree or at the base, the tree would collapse. It was always cool in soldner to be able to shoot down trees to spot people in forests easier, to smash buildings with, or ultimate humiliation (death by tree).

Soldner had some excellent concepts and did a lot of things that other games didn't. Too bad that Wings (devs) didn't have a lot of funding.

Quote[/b] ]The destruction in Soldner isnt really dynamic, we can recreate that in ArmA if we build houses from different objects (some problems will show up, but with some creativity we can handle that)

Well, that's a matter of opinion. If I shoot the left side of a building and a hole appears in the general area then I think it's dynamic enough even though the holes are based on premodelled pieces. The difference in the ofp engine based dd videos (like the vbs video) is that the buildings are made of premodelled indestructible lego blocks that are bounced around by physics. That works ok on structures made of concrete but looks really fake when you for example put some 80mm rockets on a wooden house which would in reality completely shatter into small debris.

In Söldner each piece has multiple (as in more than two) stages of destruction so it would be hard to recreate in ArmA unless it was supported by the engine.

Well IMO its fine aswell, but its probably not going to be included in ArmA as it would require alot of work, and ArmA is getting closer and closer to its release date wink_o.gif

But we can (partly) mod soldners way of building-destruction in, WITH nice anims of falling debris wink_o.gif

Its not that hard, 1 object can probably have 1 anim, so if you use 1 object for a wall, and another object for another wall etc and you put all the pieces together you have something then it will be atleast possible to shoot different holes in buildings depending on where you shoot, im not sure yet how to handle 'total destruction', but that doesnt matter for now. Guess im going to have to learn to model/texture properly...  tounge2.gif

EDIT: the game isnt even released yet and im already thinking of workaround for things... rofl.gif

you can shoot down trees in ofp, just not the trees in the dense forests. It has been said that you will be able to collapse all of the trees in ArmA, including in the forests.

Well IMO its fine aswell, but its probably not going to be included in ArmA as it would require alot of work, and ArmA is getting closer and closer to its release date wink_o.gif

But we can (partly) mod soldners way of building-destruction in, WITH nice anims of falling debris wink_o.gif

Its not that hard, 1 object can probably have 1 anim, so if you use 1 object for a wall, and another object for another wall etc and you put all the pieces together you have something then it will be atleast possible to shoot different holes in buildings depending on where you shoot, im not sure yet how to handle 'total destruction', but that doesnt matter for now. Guess im going to have to learn to model/texture properly...  tounge2.gif

EDIT: the game isnt even released yet and im already thinking of workaround for things... rofl.gif

OFPforum's suffering from mod-itis!  I hear the cure involves going to some place without computers that is stocked with lots of frothy beverages.   biggrin_o.gif

When the full force of ArmA's engine is realized, I bet there's going to be more than one mod attempting some version of dynamic destruction.  I mean, after all, what else will bog down the computer like in OFP?  Surely not 50 AI.  And you know if you're getting smooth framerates there's spare cycles for a true OFP fan to cram some other mod or functionality to bring it back down to the standard 15-20fps ( I know I did after my upgrade)  tounge2.gif

When the full force of ArmA's engine is realized, I bet there's going to be more than one mod attempting some version of dynamic destruction. I mean, after all, what else will bog down the computer like in OFP? Surely not 50 AI. And you know if you're getting smooth framerates there's spare cycles for a true OFP fan to cram some other mod or functionality to bring it back down to the standard 15-20fps ( I know I did after my upgrade) tounge2.gif

LOL thats very true. Although it seems its unplayable at 11fps confused_o.gif

you can shoot down trees in ofp, just not the trees in the dense forests.  It has been said that you will be able to collapse all of the trees in ArmA, including in the forests.

that sucks because the trees break like toothpicks... so you drive with 6 abrams throu a forest and you get a new highway for your army

Guest Ti0n3r

Nope, it'll take some force to break most trees. You won't be able to just drive right through 100 trees in 50km/H

That's in OFP Dachrinne, not ArmA. See some videos of the E3 demo, you can see that the trees resist even armored vehicles.

I hope the devs will make breaking trees accurate: run into a forest at 100 KM/h with your abrams tank and you wont walk away unharmed.

Then again, slowly "crawling" up on a tree will take it down aswell, without hurting you.

I hope the devs will make breaking trees accurate: run into a forest at 100 KM/h with your abrams tank and you wont walk away unharmed.

Then again, slowly "crawling" up on a tree will take it down aswell, without hurting you.

Yeah! And I want to see tanks getting stuck .... bellied out on the tree that they just uprooted!  wink_o.gif

Ok, so we got some 'new' information from the wiki, just take a look at this.

Quote[/b] ] destrType = "DestructNo"; // nothing happens

destrType = "DestructBuilding"; // smoke. explosion

destrType = "DestructEngine"; // smoke only

destrType = "DestructTree"; // smoke, crushing, falls over

destrType = "DestructTent"; // smoke, crushing, flattens

destrType = "DestructMan";

destrType = "DestructDefault"; // =building

No new destrcution types. Now, anims in ArmA are said to be stored in the models themselves, so i guess thats still in. But for the people who were still somehow hoping that dynamic destruction would be in: No! tounge2.gif

Really, all I hope is for a crumpling/flattenning ala OFP. Lots of peolpe don't like it, but it's better than anything we have.

WGL gets it wrong, because they make buildings indestructible. But the problem is, in real life you can blow up a building ot make it unusable to the enemy. I want to be able to do that.

Let's hope ArmA just has a better animation and the same satisfying crunching sound.

dammage...

Variable String Array:

dammageHalf[] = {"\AnyAddon\AnyPAA.paa","\AnyAddon\AnyOtherPAA.paa", ...};

dammageFull[] = {"\AnyAddon\AnyPAA.paa","\AnyAddon\AnyOtherPAA.paa", ...};

When 'vehicle' is considered at least half way to destruction, the series of pictures is applied to the model.

hmm is this new ?