Sign in to follow this  
Timblesink

Movement -> Stop

I was just watching that "15 minutes with ArmA" movie, and started wondering: Will the movement to stopping while on foot stay instant? I actually do hope it does, because it would make movement on foot much easier, and less of a task. But, what will happen with it?

(I also did try to look around for an answer before posting this)

kinda goes against the whole "realism" thing they've got going don't you think?

i'd atleast have some stop time. heck half a second is enough. yeah, it'll be really hard to get around if stopping from a full on sprint isn't instantenous icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, in the old OFP, it's quite difficult to get around with the (however small) "stopping" time, especially in urban environments. It's probably more realistic to have instant stopping, because, in real life, you only take the amount of steps necessary to get from A to B, but with "stopping time", it's really easy to overshoot, and it makes walking seem like driving a vehicle, only harder.

I like the instant stop thing. Cause I hate how clumpsy OFP feels when moving around on foot and stopped frequently. Like in CQC it's really hard in OFP.

I think its good the way it is. Maybe you just have to practise running/walking a bit more tounge2.gif

Press "F" key (this toggles slower movement) when you need to gain more control of character. this key makes him walk (and so react faster to your next commands, like prone or crounch). "E" and "W" (without "F" key pressed) keys mean different levels of running (infact).

Practise it and you handdle it, just like dives. I dived too late and so character dived pass the cover. OFPs way of movementsystem is THE BEST. Every game that has instant stop or dive, just don't feel right.

Learn it, use it, master it...

if we dont have this "instant stop" we could have a "instant stop more natural", in game we will need it because a secound is enough to get shot or fall down a cliff/roof.

Precious time to escape enemy bullets etc..

ps- also noticed it and thought that could need a fix somehow without delaying too much the actions

I love the way 'ofp' feels, much better then for example CoD, the clumsiness makes you feel like you walk around with 25kilo gear tounge2.gif

EDIT: THB i never noticed that you didnt stop instantly(maybe because it feels so natural), the only thing i noticed is that im not 2 hands with a gun flying trough a map tounge2.gif

There's got to be a balance between "realism" (although it doesn't take me 1 or 2 metres to stop walking) and gameplay. Remember, ArmA is a game. If you want a totally realistic shooter, join the army. It's SO much easier to move around (especially in urban environments, where ArmA seems to have most of the action) in a game like CoD2 than OFP, simply because it doesn't feel like you're driving a train. Just because ArmA is a simulation, doesn't mean that it can't have some "poetic license" (although that probably isn't the best phrase to use, but you know what I mean). I think, yes, maybe there should be a VERY VERY VERY TINY stopping bit, but emphasis on VERY VERY VERY TINY, because it's hell (yes, even after pressing F) to move around in cities in OFP. I hope that the instant stopping will stay in ArmA. In fact, there could be an animation for the person's arms moving to and from the sprint, but the lower part of the body being instant, so it would be a balance between feeling natural, and being easy to move around.

Well, In OFP i thought the way it was was great. Although it didnt work in buildings because of the clumpsy collision detection.

If they fixed the collision detection, let it stay in. If not, I prefer instant stopping.

Instant stop looks like shit, the "slowdown" gives the animator a slowdown animation to make all movement look real.

Clunky movement is not an issue when "slow-walking", collision detection is......i hope the instant stop is just WIP related, OPF make me have to be aware of my movement and any dope can learn to control his movement ingame.

IMO it should remain in. While it is true that it feels more 'clumsy' than other games I think it adds to the feeling that you are just a guy and not a superhuman floating gun. Ever tried moving around with a full backpack carrying somehting heavy? It does feel very clumsy.

It will definitely change the tactics in maps like St Piere, Little Everon, etc. whistle.gif

I also like it the way it is. You just need some practice to judge your stopping distances a little better.

They will keep it as it was in OFP 1985. Anything else would be stupid, and as far as I know, the guys at BIS are anything but stupid smile_o.gif

Stopping immediately would also mean that you could start going the other way immediately. While that may fit some reflex & hand-eye coordination based corridor shooters that aim for very fast paced action and "strafing" gun fights, it would look so crappy in a realistic game like ArmA. It would also suck if there was no acceleration and deceleration when turning around and aiming, like it seems on the videos.

Stopping immediately would also mean that you could start going the other way immediately.

Yes, that would be odd. That would imply there's no inertia. In a game that simulates ballistics of the bullit and whatnot, there's no inertia....hm, just doesn't add up, does it?

Stopping immediately would also mean that you could start going the other way immediately.

Well the way strafing works in this game you can do that already. I'd be happy if the strafing speeds were lowered to a more realistic level. With TrackIR finially making it's way into the FPS genre you don't need the fast strafe speeds to emulate looking around (i.e. you turn 90 degrees and start strafing the direction you were previously going so you can look around and still travel in the intended direction).

The only problem with simulating inertia in games is that it becomes "flappy" in the game.

IRL I can aim for a corner and slow down BEFORE I get to it and stop immediatly when I come to it, in OFP as it is all I can do is learn how to count seconds.

I still believe that splinter cell has the perfect system for controlling speed, just use the scrollwhell on your mouse set the speed he's moving, couple that with the inertia simulation OFP has and you're good to go.

But I rather see the wierd mouse lag "simulation" be thrown out the window, IRL I can control stuff, I can't do that in ofp, no matter how much I train...

All those people who say "you just need more practice", I've been playing OFP for several years now, and I still sometimes overshoot a building and get blown to bits by the tank waiting around the corner. The soldier you're playing as would have plenty of experience moving around (he's been doing it his whole life, people), and instant stopping would reflect this. Yes, he's got a heavy pack on, but this is a GAME, people. Not VBS. You want VBS? Go buy VBS. Or, as previously mentioned, join the army. Games are fun. Being blown to bits because your character walks like a demented chicken without a head is not.

EDIT: And the chicken's drunk, too.

ANOTHER EDIT: He'd have experience moving around with a heavy pack, as well.

Quote[/b] ]But I rather see the wierd mouse lag "simulation" be thrown out the window, IRL I can control stuff, I can't do that in ofp, no matter how much I train...

Been fix I believe

It's not lag, it's inertia. And it's not fixed, it's broken. At least on the videos of the demo. You see, most people are not robots that can do 100% precise movements instantaneously or hold a rifle 100% steady in any position etc.

Jeesh, maybe you should go play some generic shooters (like Unreal Tournament or CS) with l33t controls instead of trying to turn ArmA into one.