Sign in to follow this  
Freshman

Fixed crosshair?

Yeah, the natural "pointability" of weapons (especially submachineguns) can't be simulated in games (yet), unfortunately.

Yeah, the natural "pointability" of weapons (especially submachineguns) can't be simulated in games (yet), unfortunately.

That's why we have a crosshair, to compensate for our lack of "feel" and "pointability" with weaponry.

I'm not sure what's being argued about in this thread. When people are complaining about the implementation of a fixed crosshair, is it supposedly one in which every component of the crosshair is stuck in the center of the screen? The reason I ask is because I was under the impression that in Armed Assault the side brackets of the reticle would remain fixed in the center of the screen, but that the line used to indicate the aimpoint of the weapon would still remain floating. I never liked the fact that in Operation Flashpoint the entire reticle would swim around in an invisible box in the center of the screen if it wasn't moved enough to cause the character to turn.

Again I see no problem with fixed crosshair as long as accurate fire at distance requires using the sights. I can hold a rifle without looking through the sights and hit steel plates out to 10 yards 100% of the time, but it would never work for long range.

That can be done with disabled floating sights. You see that your gun moves, even if you don't see the crosshair. It just takes a bit of practise, just like in real life. But now I can hit infantry 15-20 metres away without any fuss and with the crosshair disabled of course. So if you keep the floating sights and disable the crosshair this is pretty much simulated already. smile_o.gif

Fixed aiming also allows you to cheat a bit on a server that has disabled crosshair. Like have a program running on the background that overlays a dot on the center of the screen or draw a dot on an invisible piece of tape and voila, you hit as good as you did with the crosshair. Maybe it's a server-side option though, so you could allow fixed, floating or both.

I don't get how it will help with TIR, do you really aim with your head? I thought it would be used for looking around, not aiming.

Quote[/b] ]Having a center crosshair in ArmA mean they removed the realistic handling of weapons from Ofp, that is what ofp fans are complaining about, and not about having a center crosshair or a moving crosshair.

No they didn't, the middle line still shows where the gun is aimed so your gun lags behind the reticle just like OFP. It's just that the view is locked to the reticle, not the gun.

I believe what Shadow is trying to say is that with TrackIR you don't need the floating box anymore because you now have a floating view.

As stated the difference between the two cross-hair types is what the view is attached to (the gun or the middle of the screen). With TrackIR the view is attached to the input from TrackIR. In fixed mode with TrackIR you will get smoother body turning without the "gun lag" as it's been called.

I'm not certain which way will work best yet. Actually I still haven't heard for certain that we'll get TrackIR support for infantry. For me it'll be one of those things where you try it both ways and see which one feels the best.

One of the first things i will do with ArmA is turning of the actual visible crosshairs anyway... As L etranger said OFP is the only game (-i know) where you shoot out of your barrel. Fixed aim would make this feature useless i think.

And think about how it would look. You are prone and turn on your nipples with every change of the thing you're aiming at crazy_o.gif

From what I can infer, I think trackIR would work best with the floating crosshair.

From what I saw in the PCFormat video, moving the mouse rotated your entire character left/right instantly, including the head controlled by trackIR (analogous to WWII tanks, turn the body and the turret rotates with the tank). To me, this would still be a bit disorienting, compared to the "gun dead zone" that OFP has. With that, you'd be able to get fine aim with the mouse without turning your character for every little movement. I like the idea of being able to look independantly while tuning my aim w/out spinning my body around like a top.

Call me crazy, but I've always liked the idea in OFP that I can wave my gun around to get fine aim while the stuff on my screen stays static, and not bothersome (moving the crosshair/upper body in the center of the screen).

In any case, I just want my floaty crosshair back, as an option or not. It'll be off 99% of the time, but it's not the crosshair itself I'm after. It's the upper body/gun independant of the body turning feature I love.

I believe what Shadow is trying to say is that with TrackIR you don't need the floating box anymore because you now have a floating view.

Yes, its exactly what I meant.

Quote[/b] ]From what I saw in the PCFormat video, moving the mouse rotated your entire character left/right instantly, including the head controlled by trackIR (analogous to WWII tanks, turn the body and the turret rotates with the tank).

I think that seems pretty logical.

If I look 45 degrees to the side and "lock" my neck, then I turn my body 45 degrees to the left I would be seeing 90 degrees to the left relative to my original body offset (if that made any sense). If I wanted to fix my view onto the new heading while turning I would just compensate by slowly turning my head towards straight forward. Its the exact same thing as when you manually padlock with the TIR in a flight-sim. Its very easy after using the TIR for a couple of hours.

I think the TIR will work just perfectly.

But if I was to use the TIR without any crosshair at all I can see the dilemma of not being sure what direction I'm looking relative to my body.

In real life you feel what direction you are looking, in a game we need a indicator to help us get that same feeling.

But if I was to use the TIR without any crosshair at all I can see the dilemma of not being sure what direction I'm looking relative to my body.

With your rifle perpendicular (or close to it) to your body you should be able to use that to keep your bearings on which way your body is pointing.

A few questions;

1- Do you need a monitor as well as this ir tracker?

2-Also, what happens when your in a tank?  Does your head move inside or the whole gun/cannon?  Also at what speed?  The gun view moves slower than you neck, so would you have to compensate?

3-What would happen if you physically turn all the way around?  Would the player model turn is head 360, like some kind of exorcist take off?

4-Finally; ArmA has a 'lean' feature, how does the IRtraker cope with that?

1: Yes, the TrackIR mounts ontop of your monitor.

2: The TIR only controlls your in-game head, not aiming-devices.

3: When you get past 90 degree offsent the TrackIR no longer track your motion. The TIR only sees "special" reflective dots such as stickers (shipped with the TIR) or a Trackhat+Vector.

4: We'll just have to wait and see how that is untill we've actually tried it.

Latest versions of TIR can follow your lateral movement of head.

Example in the upcoming helicopter simulation Lock On : Black Shark here.

Impressive demonstration, tbh smile_o.gif

Could be used to map lean function in ArmA

The TrackIR discussion really belongs in the TrackIR thread, that or the two become merged, but that doesn't really make sense.

Quote[/b] ]Quote (Strango @ June 14 2006,15:51)

Even if I can move my head independently from the body I would like to have my "box" so I also can move my gun to some degree without moving my body.

All very interesting.

Ok, lets stay on topic.

Now...where were we...?

Oh yes..."Give us more screen shots and updates, Will! Show us the locals. wink_o.gif

Oh yes..."Give us more screen shots and updates, Will! Show us the locals. wink_o.gif

This is the "fixed cursor" thread, although it seems that the topic has run its course perhaps?

Quote[/b] ]Quote (Strango @ June 14 2006,15:51)

Even if I can move my head independently from the body I would like to have my "box" so I also can move my gun to some degree without moving my body.

I agree completely with andersson and feel this is an important topic... We still need the "floating box".

Even if the TrackIR will serve the purpose the "floating box" currently serves, it's important to realize that not all players will end up getting a TrackIR.  (In fact, probably only a relatively small % will.)

In 3rd person specifically, this "floating box" feature (unique to OFP) allows the freedom to get a proper view of what your looking/shooting at!

In so many other shooters (in 3rd person), the crosshair is FIXED in place and is positioned so close to the player's head that your own head and body obscure your view.  Just try and shoot (in 3rd person) from a standing or prone position in H&D2!  tounge2.gif

Please keep the "floating box" feature, or at a minimum make the position of the crosshair above the player's head in 3rd person an adjustable setting, for those of us who may or may not be getting a TrackIR.

In summary, IMO it's important that both of these "settings" be optional:

1. The display of the crosshair itself

2. The "floating box" biggrin_o.gif

Whether they are set, (i.e. allowable) on the server or not is another debate.

AA is gonna rule!   notworthy.gif

In summary, IMO it's important that both of these "settings" be optional:

1. The display of the crosshair itself

2. The "floating box" biggrin_o.gif

Whether they are set, (i.e. allowable) on the server or not is another debate.

It has been said, that the fixed crosshair can be deactivated and replaced by the "floating box". I think it was mentioned at the Mapfact OFP Workshop.

This is the "fixed cursor" thread, although it seems that the topic has run its course perhaps?

D'oh!  Quite right, sorry.:D

noticed a crosshair in the videos which were fixed in the center of the screen... is this set in stone or will the point of aim be "floating" like in OFP?

I hope like hell we get the floating system back, it was the best feature of OFP that gave it the more of a realistic feel and the function of it forced more realistic gameplay.

that poll on ofp.info is up to like 8300 votes with like 79% in favor of the floating system... so im sure a lot would agree.

did a search on this topic to see past discussions but couldn't find much.

Guest Ti0n3r

You can use free aim if you want to. You can use fixed view if you want to.

awesome... thx for the info.

would the choice be restricted based on server settings or can clients change it independently?