Sign in to follow this  
ricnunes

Fabulous flying & firing machines in ArmA?

haha that's pushing it, Placebo  biggrin_o.gif

anyway, added a topic description so people won't go looking for the old one (as if people ever search here...)

Since the topic name was changed we can talk about any Fabulous flying machine for ARMA..

What about the famous C-130? BIS updated their info and say planes will be in ArmA too.

How did Willian Porter (from blog) embarked Sahrani? By Chopper or Plane? I would say he went there by a C-130, correct me if im wrong.

C-130

fuselage.gif

Stryker Disembarkment

Stryker%20Offloading%20From%20C-130.jpg

Armored Disembarkment

c-130-18.jpg

Rolling deployment from a C130 is something I look forward to in Game 2.

I doubt it was by C-130, the island must have been quite far from wherever they embarked from, at least far for a prop aircraft, so I'm going to say it was a jet aircraft, possibly C-141 or C-5.

I vote C-17. And it looks cooler, too.

Well I think that the C-130 would have enough range to be able to bring equipment to the Sahrani island. Don't forget that the C-130 is a turboprop aircraft and one advantage that these aircraft usually have is to have a very long range (take for example the P-3 Orion which is an another turboprop aircraft).

But I agree that probably shouldn't be the main asset to bring equipment to the island. In my oppinion the best asset for this purpose should be an Landing ship such as a LPD or a LHA.

The existance of USMC units in Armed Assault (such as Marine troops and AH-1Z) could somehow confirm this oppinion of mine.

Anyway, nice pictures of the C-130s that Bravo6 posted, I was specially impressed with the extra capability of the stretched version of the C-130J.

That may be, but C-130's are slow, compared to the jet aircraft, and don't forget there are a ton of soldiers packed inside the cargo area...

The C-130 also wouldn't be able to lift any of the bigger and/or heavier vehicles, and from what I've seen/read/whatever, C-130's are used primarily for short range flights, and it seems really impractical seeing a whole army (which really is impossible for the C-130's because of their limited lifting capacity) flown in on a mass of slow, relatively small C-130s...

And as for landing craft, that's something usually reserved for the USMC (and would be very impractical for the Army) which, as far as we can tell, will not be present in ArmA (despite the super cobra, which I really, really hope is a placeholder).

I also think the Globemaster III or maybe the KC-10 would be the most apropriate transport to move in troops.

The Herc have a very long range, but as has been stated previously, its slow. In real life anyway...

The P-3N Orion (personell transport) is a waste of resources for moving troops unless you need a very fast personell transport with a long range. They are fun to fly sitting in the co-pilot seat though. tounge2.gif

In the game I think a C-130 is the way to go. The range and speed of the aircraft won't matter because the terrain in ArmA is very small even for the Hercules.

In the game I think a C-130 is the way to go. The range and speed of the aircraft won't matter because the terrain in ArmA is very small even for the Hercules.

Yeah! From a gaming point of view for sure the C-130 would be a great asset. Short landing and takeoffs and great for airdrops for both machines and troops! It's also fun to fly slow and low, just right for ArmA!  wink_o.gif

Yeah! From a gaming point of view for sure the C-130 would be a great asset. Short landing and takeoffs and great for airdrops for both machines and troops! It's also fun to fly slow and low, just right for ArmA! wink_o.gif

You might use it in single player but in multiplayer, especially on CTI maps, aircrafts are an easy target. They don't stand a chance against AA or Shilka/Vulcan.

I prefer to use choppers...many of them...at once.. crazy_o.gif

http://www.armedassault.org/http://www.armedassault.org/ctiataka.jpg

(lower right corner)

Maybe they landed by ship, or by helicopters from the ship. Also, what sort of cargo aircraft would the SLA have, if any? My bet is the An-12

Yeah! From a gaming point of view for sure the C-130 would be a great asset. Short landing and takeoffs and great for airdrops for both machines and troops! It's also fun to fly slow and low, just right for ArmA! wink_o.gif

You might use it in single player but in multiplayer, especially on CTI maps, aircrafts are an easy target. They don't stand a chance against AA or Shilka/Vulcan.

I prefer to use choppers...many of them...at once.. crazy_o.gif

http://www.armedassault.org/http://www.armedassault.org/ctiataka.jpg

(lower right corner)

Oh boy..I sure hope all those helicopters aren't AI that have to get in formation,they seem to love ramming eachother,unless they fixed that in AA,in which,yay biggrin_o.gif

Yeah! From a gaming point of view for sure the C-130 would be a great asset. Short landing and takeoffs and great for airdrops for both machines and troops! It's also fun to fly slow and low, just right for ArmA!  wink_o.gif

Agreed, but only in terms of moving things around the island istelf, I still doubt C-130s would have been used to fly in troops and equipment from a mainland.

Fine! They used this to transport troops to Sahrani!

photo_nasa_pathfinder.jpg

(as if people ever search here...)

lol, do I sense a bit frustration whistle.gifrofl.gifnener.gif

Only thing I care about when it comes to flying machines is that they've made the AI fly better. I just hate when the damn choppers keep crashing into each other and when a plane is diving to drop a bomb and ends up in a forest. It'll probably be loads of choppers made by mods and addon makers quite fast, and probably it won't take much time before the custom made addons is as good, or even better, than the choppers in ArmA (not that BIS is crappy at making stuff for their own game though whistle.gif )

I still doubt C-130s would have been used to fly in troops and equipment from a mainland.

Does that really matter?

You start on the island with equipment already being there...

New equipment during the campaign will just spawn there anyways icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]lol, do I sense a bit frustration

hehe that was actually sarcasm smile_o.gif

I doubt it was by C-130, the island must have been quite far from wherever they embarked from, at least far for a prop aircraft...

"Too far" is meaningless in the age of aerial refuelling, and actually the C-130J has 5250 km range...

I still doubt C-130s would have been used to fly in troops and equipment from a mainland.

Does that really matter?

No, but to some people it does, and if they care so much about it it doesn't hurt to correct them.

Quote[/b] ]"Too far" is meaningless in the age of aerial refuelling, and actually the C-130J has 5250 km range...

You must have missed my next post, as "too far" doesn't necessarily mean range; it would take significantly longer for a C-130 to make the trip than a jet aircraft, and time matters - especially when you've got human cargo. That's why C-130's would be used mainly for shorter trips, because it doesn't take as long. Just a bit of confusion about word meanings...

I very much doubt any such large plane will be in ArmA. If so, they would have definately atleast MENTIONED it other than "planes".

Chances are of it being maybe 1-2% chance for it being in the game. We don't need it especially on such a small island, it's pointless.

Its true, but that doesnt take away from the fact that its fun to speculate wink_o.gif

Guest _Aragon_

Seeing as Armed Assault will have the Hind and Hip I wonder if the Ka-50/51/52 Hokum and Blackshark will show its face this time around. Its the main Anti-Tank gunship used by the Russian Airforce.

Also the Mi-28 (Blacksharks competition and Hinds replacement) will come into the scene? It not now in an expansion would be nice. This beuty once deemed uncompetitive with the Ka-50 is now revised, in production and being delivered to the Russian army as their new multiple perpose all weather gunship. Compered to the Ka-50's limited role as ant-tank the latest version is bliss.

Seeing as Armed Assault will have the Hind and Hip I wonder if the Ka-50/51/52 Hokum and Blackshark will show its face this time around. Its the main Anti-Tank gunship used by the Russian Airforce.

banghead.gif There's only 16 KA-50 Hokum's!

We don't need it especially on such a small island, it's pointless.

Saharani isn't too small though, is it? smile_o.gif I would much rather drive a jeep into a C-130 and fly it to the other side rather than just drive the jeep across the whole island.