Sign in to follow this  
Baphomet

ArmA sounds effects.

I don't think that the beeps and the encryption are related. I think that the military radios are encrypted burst transmitters, but I don't see how the actual beeps are related. I don't think that fire rescue channel hotel is encrypted or transmitted in bursts, but it does beep when someone releases the mic key to open the net back up.

So everybody wants realism, but they don't want the realistic radio bleeps?

For me it isn't more realistic if there are two bleeps after every radio message.

Well, you might get along with the bleeps, good for you. I know that I can't avoid playing the game,

and I am quite sure the bleeps will give me a hard time.

Hopefully I get used to them. 'bleep, bleep' confused_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

In the beginning I disliked the bleeps aswell, just seemed like a noise that would give away any specop's position tounge2.gif .

Anyway, allot of radios I've heard have the "bleeps" (listen to our local busses, they've got an orchest before and after each radio message!wink_o.gif, so I guess it's okay. I've gotten used to it now either way wink_o.gif .

@ OutOfOrder: if you find dying after one bullet unrealistic too, the game has to be modified for that?

@ OutOfOrder: if you find dying after one bullet unrealistic too, the game has to be modified for that?

Nope, just talking about the bleeps, the rest is absolutely fine.

It seems that for some people sounds can be more harmful than bullets. wink_o.gif

The beeps are fine, its the choppiness of the radio messages that gets to me. The voice inflections made me flinch everytime a radio message came across the channel. Also, the tank commander still designates the same target a million times. I think for the infantry the radio chatter would sound better if the action and target were in the same sound clip instead of being separate and then grouped together on the fly. It would mean more work for the voice actors and more sound clips, but it would sound much better. For example...

Instead of:

"that man"

/

"3" "target"

\

"that RPG soldier"

do:

"target that man"

/

"3"

\

"target that RPG soldier"

Perhaps this was looked at and the tradeoff between quality and functionality was weighed more heavily on the functionality side. It's just a little complaint, though.

Anyone played a game called "men of valor"? It was a vietnam shooter that had really realistic sounds. My dad got drafted back then, he used to use AKs, i showed him the game and he said that's pretty much how a real AK sounds. He said that's how it sounds after a few bursts (you go a little deaf while shooting). My comps on a really big sound system so i could crank up the volume to "realistic" levels though...

The sounds in Americas Army are very similar to those sounds so there must be some truth in there. That game prides itself on realistic sounds.

Yea, the weapon sounds in americas army is the best I've ever heard, why not ALL developers just use a 1000 euro's to buy great sample CD's and writes a solid audioengine is above me...   huh.gif

Ideally we wan't EAX and 7.1 support, all the latest stuff.

If you do have bass control, you can play about with even the original OFP sounds to good effect.

I trust that the community is willing and able to quickly weave their magic.

In OFP, you can hear the "whistle" of the wind when walk up to high altitudes. What you don't hear is the "whooshing" of the wind as it blows past your ears. It occurred to me when I was walking around outside on a windy day. The sound of the wind is captured by this video camera in this clip:

Um... ignore what's going on in this clip. I only chose it for the wind sound.

As for the "dry CRACK" made by supersonic bullets, I don't recall ever hearing that in any war movies either. Hollywood's got it wrong. Anybody know any movies that used this sound?

From the new videos we notice that some sounds were improved.

One think i noticed too was that while player was in battle field with explosions, shoots and all we could hear birds singing.. how odd is this? crazy_o.gif

..its kinda strange cause normally nature mute for a while during a war "active" zone. Birds do not singe while explosions are near or while guns fire.

The new Miami Vice Film has bullet crack noises on I seem to remember, in the end battle anyway.

You can hear a shot at 0:55 but its only for a split second, its clearer in the actual film. pistols.gif

We also noticed from the new videos that the soundengine seems to be the same as in OFP. Sound repeating interval/speed in full auto differs depending on background rendering/activity. Kinda kills the experience.

The sound engine adapts to that of what OFP:E has,problem is in terms of surroundings,if you don't have a good video card or system setup then you cannot use this feature. Obstacles will block how you perceive sound,for instance if you listening to battle in the open you can easily hear it,if you are being an obstacle of some sort it will sound muffled to an extent. However I have a home theatre of five speakers for this,so I naturally can hear OFP:E to its fullest,computer speakers with the standard two aren't going to get the surround effect,but they will get the deafening effect. However that area wasn't really a good demonstration of the sound engine improvements.

We also noticed from the new videos that the soundengine seems to be the same as in OFP. Sound repeating interval/speed in full auto differs depending on background rendering/activity. Kinda kills the experience.

Yep. Full auto sounds in the latest video are completely as same as in OFP. It's not a matter of sound sources but a matter of a sound engine. Even if you prepare a realistic AK47 fire sound, the sound engine in OFP or ArmA cannot make realistic full auto sounds.

I hope BIS will refine the sound engine.

The new Miami Vice Film has bullet crack noises on I seem to remember, in the end battle anyway.

You can hear a shot at 0:55 but its only for a split second, its clearer in the actual film.  pistols.gif

Yea, that is because michael mann is the master when it comes to gun battles, just listen to the bank robbery scene, when we get audio like that in the games, there's no need for any more development...

But from what I heard from arma, dissapointing...

Quote[/b] ]Birds do not singe while explosions are near or while guns fire.

You´d be surprised how much noise they do make when guns are fired. Birdies get upset and birdies voice their opinion pretty loud.

Can be pretty troubling if a big birdie decides to be upset with you and toots away your position. whistle.gif

well i hope ArmAs supports OpenAL out of box ...

as Vista drops DirectSound3D hw accelerated support completely (all is forced back to sw) ...

Quote[/b] ]as Vista drops DirectSound3D hw accelerated support completely (all is forced back to sw) ...

Uh... That can't be right. Source?

Wouldn't be that big of a deal to me though, just another reason not to buy Vista.

Source

http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html

quotes for these lazy to read whole article

Quote[/b] ]

As already stated above, Microsoft® will be removing DirectSound 3D Hardware support from Direct X with the launch of Windows Vista. DirectSound and DirectSound3D will still function; however, they will no longer use hardware acceleration.

The Generic Hardware device will no longer be available, as it requires the use of hardware DirectSound 3D Buffers. Instead, this device will gracefully, and automatically, fallback to using the Generic Software device, which will continue to work as before.

In some cases, where a game specifically looks for a hardware audio path, it may even fall back to plain stereo output.

With the native Windows Vista audio APIs, all this advanced, hardware-based 3D audio processing will be inaccessible. Instead, basic mapping to a generic speaker placement scheme will be employed, and all interactive processing and rendering will be dependent on the host CPU. While it is true that CPUs continue to get faster, the Vista audio architecture intentionally simplifies things, such that the potential processing load for multiple 3D voices is limited. Inevitably there is a tradeoff. This will be especially true for gamers that have come to depend on the kind of high-end 3D audio experience available from products like the SoundBlaster X-Fi, with its advanced headphone 3D audio processing and dedicated hardware DSP effects. For gamers this would be the most noticeable loss in Windows Vista, and it would be a definite step backwards for PC gaming audio if developers only had the option of using native Windows Vista audio APIs. However, they do have a legitimate, proven alternative in OpenAL.

Quote[/b] ]Birds do not singe while explosions are near or while guns fire.

You´d be surprised how much noise they do make when guns are fired. Birdies get upset and birdies voice their opinion pretty loud.

Can be pretty troubling if a big birdie decides to be upset with you and toots away your position. whistle.gif

from the experience i have, when i fired a pistol in the forest the birds fly away and a silence remains for some minuts.

but thats just my experience.