Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

AIs behaviour/improvement

Well said - exactly what i had in mind, especially improved situational awareness sad_o.gif

It'd be good if the AI took cover, like in that VME PLA mod. Now there's a good mod. A lot of things people are asking for in this thread are actually in it. A platoon system (but that crashes mine mad_o.gif ), AI taking cover, and just too much to say here (or even remember tounge2.gif ).

I have to agree mostly with ryan here.

The AI is far too individual as of now.In my opinion the squad needs to work as a compact unit supporting each other,coordinated by the Squad leader.That doesn't imply that they have to move together all the time.I very much agree that the use of "fireteams"(doesn't only have to be 2 by the way) would very much increase the AI's survivability due to the increased firepower and the covering fire the other fireteams can put up when one is moving.Bounding overwatch and all that.Again fireteams doesn't imply those fireteams are like 1km from each other doing their own stuff,they just split up to move from one cover to the next supported by fire.

What I also think needs improving is Armoured and Helicopter tactics.Right now they mostly fight like knights on horse.Rushing towards you trying to knock you out at close range(Fair enough,they also fire during their approach).I think those vehicles should try to use the range of their weapons more effectively.Especially if they are attached to infantry(Think overwatch).

But besides me wanting OFP AI to behave like they use real life combat tactics biggrin_o.gif ,the thing I might actually expect to see is them valuing their life more.Risk calculation you could name it.

Right now 1 Squad with a move-waypoint will just rush blindly into 1 platoon supported by IFV's and deployed MG's. In the defence if they happen to have no AT,a squad will just sit there waiting to die if a tank ever happens to come across to their position. That needs changing.AI should rather wait for reinforcements than to fight a suicidal battle if possible. Also should they retreat/withdraw.They do run away fine now,but in some situations you might want to teach em to properly withdraw out of an engagement (think bounding overwatch again).

I probably could mention a thousand things more , but I figure AI is a bitch to program anyways so I am happy about every single improvement that gets in the release version and hope AI is then also improved over time(patches?) wink_o.gif

I might note I LOVED the command system in brothers in arms...this is a perfect example of what I mean done right. Something like this in ofp would be fantastic. You tell your team to move and flank, and they do it intelligently, moving up from cover to cover, supressing the enemy, etc. And the command is extremely quick and flexible, unlike ofp's clumsy system.

Yes, i loved that too. You had assault team and fire team (if i remember correctly) and you could combine them to approach and flank the enemy and it worked really well. Just one thing. Those teams were allready split up in the beggining. In OFP you have your squad of lets say 10 men (not including you). You split them into two 5 men teams, and then you can use them as two separate teams, just like in BiA. Since i don't know s**t about programming, i don't know how difficult would it be to put it in ArmA. IMO it would be pretty difficult. But if it could be done, it would give ArmA a whole new dimension. Maybe Game2? confused_o.gif

One of the first posts here brought me to an idea. why not implement a morale-value per-squad, like for example in the rts Warhammer 40k Dawn of War (or many others) if too many members of your squad are killed in short time soldiers should stop remaining in formation and flee/give up/start going nuts w/e

That value could be influenced by the ranks of the squad in total. for example only recruits go nuts after 4 kills, while a squad of experts is nearly impossible to demoralize. would have nice effex in mixed squads, which as we all know should be the standard.

also, the mentioned sit. awareness, is extra important.

my personal idea:

<example>

1: 2 - get in - truck

2:roger!

*runs to truck - embarks but immeditately pops out again*

2:Negative!

(Player thinks sumthing like: "WTF IS YOUR GODDAMN PROBLAM U DAMN FUCKED-UP-THE-ARSE-RETARD?!?!! WAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!")

1 goes investigating, gets in truck and notices that its perfectly drivable

</example>

I hate that sit. u just fucked up a convoy, but tanks are en route to your pos so u gotta friggin hurry but not one SINGLE loon is doing what you tell him!

OK, its a thing if they jump out of nearly destroyed vehicles. but not being able to drive trucks that might have been hit by 1- 5 bullets to kill the driver and has intact tires etc is just so frustrating. i could bite in my keyboard each time that happens. then, if avaialbe, i repair the truck with a repair truck (haha -.-) and then (sometimes) AI does what i want.

that was just an example situation, AI does this shit very often.

Also, if you tell em to get to a specific pos on the map, they just wont move. after 10 minutes or so they start turning the vehicle and go to target in crawling-speed.

im sure this issue will be fixed though, its just too vital.

I shoots at AI

I run into building

AI tracks me as I move thru the building even thou I'm completely hidden by walls and such

I move to a window to shoot at AI

AI shoots me in the head

banghead.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Btw, in Elite; Did anyone notice that the AI sometimes walk through houses and systematicly clear every room? It scared the hell out of me the first time it happend. I didn't expect the AI to hunt me down like that. crazy_o.gif

I think that'll be a welcome addition to CQC in ArmA. wow_o.gif

I would love to see ai running for cover whilst ducking after a sniper attack and forming up on corners of buildings, then calling in CAS or armoured support. That would be badass smile_o.gif

I would love to see ai running for cover whilst ducking after a sniper attack and forming up on corners of buildings, then calling in CAS or armoured support. That would be badass smile_o.gif

...Instead of hitting the dirt in the middle of the road..

In game 2 maybe...but who knows...

We haven`t seen the `improoved` and up-to-date AI from ArmA yet..

The AI in Armed Assault provides a stiff challenge from the enemy and a significant amount of assistance from the friendly forces around you. It essentially works around a system of observation, communication and reaction. For example, if your squad is detected by a lone soldier who is part of a small enemy squad, he will most likely communicate this information to the rest of his squad. They will then react accordingly; if they realize they're outnumbered, then due to the tactical disadvantage, they may choose to attempt to set up an ambush, or to flank you to gain the upper hand with the element of surprise, or they may simply choose to run away and hide for a while.

Link Source (Interview Part 1)

This might help some people..

Yeah, that's definetly great news and different from OFP's AI. thumbs-up.gif But as far as I know there has not yet been any indication that ArmA's soldiers will take cover effectively and will try to supress the enemy. ...But we all know that that information will come...right?... sad_o.gif

I shoots at AI

I run into building

AI tracks me as I move thru the building even thou I'm completely hidden by walls and such

I move to a window to shoot at AI

AI shoots me in the head

banghead.gif

Don't you know that the AI if it sees you might wait for you too stick your head out again. And think about it if you saw an ennemy running into a building would you just don't care after he was out of you eyesight or would you cover that building too shoot him if he ran out or showed his face again.

STGN

Guest Ti0n3r
Yeah, that's definetly great news and different from OFP's AI. thumbs-up.gif But as far as I know there has not yet been any indication that ArmA's soldiers will take cover effectively and will try to supress the enemy. ...But we all know that that information will come...right?... sad_o.gif

That's cuase (from what I could tell) they've used the AI from Elite in the videos we've seen.

Quote[/b] ]That's cuase (from what I could tell) they've used the AI from Elite in the videos we've seen.

Yes, the video's we saw were from an old build with no new AI implemented. But I cannot recall any BIS employee saying something along the lines of 'AI will hide behind walls and in houses when they come under fire and will react to and provide suppressive fire' in any interview or any other source for that matter. Knowing that their fans are dying for some more AI info that could mean 3 things: 1) they want to suprise us with their stunningly new AI at a later date, 2) they have not changed the individual soldier AI significantly or 3) noone at BIS knows anything about marketing. I think option 3 is unlikely, I hope 1 and I fear 2.

Oh, there could be an option 4: they have said something along those lines but I have not read it yet. icon_rolleyes.gif

Look how much they said about flashpoints infantry, & look what we have. I love flashpoint, but be realistic, I'm guessing (GUESSING, non-educated, i might add) that despite what is said, the AI in armed assault really isn't going to be much different than that in flashpoint.

Quote[/b] ]Knowing that their fans are dying for some more AI info that could mean 3 things: 1) they want to suprise us with their stunningly new AI at a later date

That's what i think too. It's the only thing in videos we've seen so far that looks like s**t. I guess BIS is leaving that for E3 or maybe even for a later date, who knows? I just can't believe that BIS is gonna left AI the way it is now (in videos).

Knowing that their fans are dying for some more AI info that could mean 3 things: 1) they want to suprise us with their stunningly new AI at a later date

That's what i think too. It's the only thing in videos we've seen so far that looks like s**t. I guess BIS is leaving that for E3 or maybe even for a later date, who knows? I just can't believe that BIS is gonna left AI the way it is now (in videos).

5 more days for E3.. cant wait for it.. confused_o.gif

hope BIS release some new info about ARMA, starting to annoy.. interviews and interviews and more interviews that always say the same "crap".. banghead.gif

but by the way they exlained in last interview AIs can comunicate or not to near squad, we will have look out AIs.

I bet Part 2 of that interview will say lots about AIs behaviour all "crap" we want to hear tounge2.gif thats why they are stalling Part 2 wink_o.gif

hmm hard question smile_o.gif.

most things about AI where corrected by community scripting in ofp,i would hope that a major part of arma development was through reading the ofp forums here at bis.:)

anyway i would like to see the following ai improvement:

1 run for cover in buildings (if sniper climb high)

2 if an empty vehicle nearby , get in and use to run or fight

3 civillian ai with more natural animation without script (stand talk etc)

4 fat /thin /long hair/short hair/small /tall, AI not clone smile_o.gif

5 if ai dosent fight then he surrender or commits suicide smile_o.gif

6 ai that can drive fly and shoot smile_o.gif (not all same time)

7 really my dream is more ambience,not empty towns, always it has been like fighting in training camps with no ,dogs ,donkeys,cats,birds, and most of all PEOPLE smile_o.gif.

vvvvvvv rofl.gif vvvvvvvv

agree.

when deanos said donkeys i dont mean like this:

donkey_Iraque.jpg

Would be nice if AIs/Players have different positions when they fall dead.

In OFP theres only 2 ways to remain dead. Up or Down with arms and legs exactly in same position. These animations could be explored to be more natural. The way they fall and remain dead.

we seen some improvements, no?

In a movie I was watching they fired a "start gun" (for races, etc). wich sounded like the AK47 single round from OFP1.0... I actually "reflexed" into ducking sad_o.gif

Kinda made me realise that OFP has already been kind of improved... in 1.00 you'd be shot in the head when taht shot was real wink_o.gif .

^^Unlikely situation of course, soldiers are trained to not freak out. But then again, soldiers aren't trained to see their friends pulverized in bloody screams and be powerless to save them, or themselves.

Plus the two nations, a Monarchist Democracy (probably a South Vietnam style dictatorship) or a Northern Communist force, would have conscripts and not professionnal soldiers.

I was kinda disappointed by the new interview on wwiiec sad_o.gif

The comments about AI were really disappointing...it looks like its just going to be the same as in the video..that could RUIN the single player game.

http://ww2ec.3dactionplanet.gamespy.com/e107_files/images/mission1.jpg

AI still seem to have formations here sad_o.gif

I really hope BIS realizes the importance of sufficient AI. Currently it makes ofp quite unrealistic in many regards, and other games have been completely ruined by poor AI. I don't want armed assault to be one of them...the AI was alright for 2001, but we're expecting an update of the game...not a rehashed one in new graphics.

I hope BIS got enough AI suggestions from the military after fielding VBS1. I find it difficult to imagine that no one complained about the suicidal tendencies of the AI teammates and OPFOR. crazy_o.gif

Something that gives me some hope for the AI is the character-switching mechanism. If missions can successfully be completed from any of multiple perspectives with the AI controlling any perspectives not chosen, that AI will have to be fairly powerful, since it will be filling the role of a player.