txalin

William Porter's Blog

Hm, if it's a 6MP camera, why no 2000x1500 images? sad_o.giftounge2.gif

Though videos.. yay xmas_o.gif

</spamish>

Hmm, it seems strangely varied terrain, from

http://www.armedassault.com/william/photos/beach.jpg to http://www.armedassault.com/william/photos/base/02_.jpg

On an island that isn't exactly huuge.. Infact, ignore that, the google-earth map has a big deserty bit at the bottom smile_o.gif

- Ben

it's called sand, mate. rofl.gif

notice it's at the beach? banghead.gif

Doesn't it look like they've fixed the relative size of objects a bit?

No longer looks like you'll get the UH60 rotor in your head while boarding.

true

The new pictures are the first time I've actually thought "Wow". I have to admit and say that the previous 'shiny' pictures have had me feeling a bit 'meh'.

Part of appeal of the original OFP was it's 'grubbiness' and these latest pictures look sharper (good) whilst maintaining a more natural and subdued colour scheme.

Is that ACU the troops are wearing, interesting because old screenies had them in BDU

Guest Ti0n3r

The nice thing is that in this one they're wearing Desert BDU, but in this one they're wearing ACU.

The more the merrier! ofplover.jpg

The nice thing is that in this one they're wearing Desert BDU, but in this one they're wearing ACU.

The more the merrier! ofplover.jpg

hum.. aren't they using the same thing? icon_rolleyes.gif

anyway.. ARMA ROCKS

RELEASE IT, god damnit!!! notworthy.gif

Seeing is believing. These are the first ArmA pictures that look like the game has advanced and will deliver what has been promised. For me, just the soldiers' proper gip on the guns is worth all the wait.

Someone somewhere stated that the LAST thing BIS would do in development is work on the new animations. It looks like they are doing that now. That *might* mean it's getting very close  biggrin_o.gif ( roll on E3! )

I've been an OFP fan since the day it was released, and I've been a long long time away from it. I'm looking forward to coming home  yay.gif

Hi. I just wet myself.

those pics....omg...THEY ARE SOOO NICE!!!!! I love that visual style in Arma, has a very "simulator" feel to it and looks much more realistic IMO.

GREAT JOB BIS!

The soldier's proportions by the way are perfect, and the grass looks stunning.

The pics also somehow remind me of WWIIOnline...not a bad thing at all.

The environment looks so realistic...I am so excited for this game. In previous operation flashpoint games, for some reason things often don't look very realistic, it may because of viewdistance, lighting, graphics engine, I don't know. But this...it just looks....real. Everything about it.

Holy crap doodz. Them knew shotz are pimpin to the maximum roxxorz. notworthy.gif BIS are masters! notworthy.gif

WP blog approach prove that "less" sometimes can turn into "more"

(in terms of compare game hypes around BF2 or Oblivion with millions of hi-res shots and videos smile_o.gif)

Yeah but this bends bf2 over and spanks it like an abusive nanny that got into a car wreck and then lost her computer and then found out the other person didnt have insurance only to get home and find the house a complete wreck with bugs and angry moths with scalpels and hornets with little uzi's. -.o. In bf2 you have a limited place,very limited,extremely when compared to OFP,there are no get in animations,just the sudden "poof",then of course its EA and then the "patches" that become further graphics demanding,bunny hopping,dolphin diving..its a big mess..OFP by itself,let alone Armed Assault beats bf2 by a longshot.

Yeah but this bends bf2 over and spanks it like an abusive nanny that got into a car wreck and then lost her computer and then found out the other person didnt have insurance only to get home and find the house a complete wreck with bugs and angry moths with scalpels and hornets with little uzi's. -.o. In bf2 you have a limited place,very limited,extremely when compared to OFP,there are no get in animations,just the sudden "poof",then of course its EA and then the "patches" that become further graphics demanding,bunny hopping,dolphin diving..its a big mess..OFP by itself,let alone Armed Assault beats bf2 by a longshot.

rofl.gif

May I edit one part?

Quote[/b] ]Yeah but this bends bf2 over and spanks it [with a paddle soaked in liquid heat] like an abusive nanny...

My brother is highly into the whole BF series, especially '2' *Cough*GFxWhOrE*cough*.  He would only play OFP if I demanded it to test a mission, and that only for a little while. A couple of weeks ago I showed him all the pages and pics I'd saved, he acted sort of 'Meh' because of the WIP shots (he liked the improvements though).  He saw the newer pics and got a bit excited.  These last blog pics pretty much pulled his ass over the line, he's wired for ArmA.

Thanks BIS!  You're expanding my LAN group notworthy.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Bah,damn gfx whores crazy_o.gif Liquid heat hm? Ouchiekadoodle...

perhaps one day your brothers game soul shall be repent and be saved of htat dribble we call bf2.... rofl.gif and for the run,no people I am not religious. Anyway,back onto topic..um..now what was I going to say..graphics are nice and all,but I'm more worried about how the game itself will act,the moment they said bump maps made me happy,mostly because they can really change things,but I'm more worried on how vehicles will act on say..bumpy terrain,if tanks will finally be able to easily climb up sloped terrain,example would be comparing Soldner tank movements to OFP,in OFP,well,pain in the ass to say the least,but they sure do go down damn fast mmhm...good old days..going down the mountains of nogova in an M1A1 or T-72 and go flying...

*Sigh* Haven't people gotten bored of slagging of BF2 yet? mad_o.gif

I'm not exactly the biggest BF2 fan (..by a long way), but really, they are totaly different games. One is an fairly standard FPS, with maps, and is based around online, being fun, and stat-tracking, for squad-leauge stuff, the other is a tactical squad based shooter, with islands, not maps, based around.. well, what ever you want it to be (squad based online/modding/deathmatch/etcetc)

The only vaugly valid reason I can see for using in comparisons is it's popular, which is totaly invalidated by the fact OFP isn't a "popular" game, it's a cult tounge2.gif

Stopit! sad_o.gif

*Takes of ranting hat*

Theres one thing I want to know more than anything, these screenshots, what hardwear are they taken on? If it's a quad-core 16GB RAM, with 4x SLI'd 7800's, it's not going to look like that on most (okay, maybe "all") peoples computers..

And finaly, has anyone got the coords of that google island map..? It seems waay to much work to make a fake sattelite image, but seems weird whoeveritis just gave a picture, with no coordinates, or any other info? sad_o.gif

- Ben

Wouldn't be the first time somebody would overdo work just to make a false image..it could be ingame like ssaid many times..and I'm afraid I'll never be done ranting with it,its mostly the producers fault but ah well...hey,thats my ranting hat!..go get your own <.<....Those specs you gave,is there really such a thing? I thought computers could take a max of 4gigs of ram,1 gig per chip. I seriously doubt it will be THAT much,mostly since it would be..whats it? Streamlined or Optimised...I can't remember which..but it would tend to make the game run better on modern PC's are composed of OFP..but you already knew that,I'm just speaking useless old info here tounge2.gif If they keep the LOD didstance..ah hell..I mean the FOG distance thingy there then I doubt there will be much trouble.

Wouldn't be the first time somebody would overdo work just to make a false image..it could be ingame like ssaid many times..and I'm afraid I'll never be done ranting with it,its mostly the producers fault but ah well...hey,thats my ranting hat!..go get your own <.<....Those specs you gave,is there really such a thing? I thought computers could take a max of 4gigs of ram,1 gig per chip. I seriously doubt it will be THAT much,mostly since it would be..whats it? Streamlined or Optimised...I can't remember which..but it would tend to make the game run better on modern PC's are composed of OFP..but you already knew that,I'm just speaking useless old info here tounge2.gif If they keep the LOD didstance..ah hell..I mean the FOG distance thingy there then I doubt there will be much trouble.

The 16GBetcetc thing was a deliberate over-statement.. Basicly, are the screenshots taken on extremely high-end computers, or just "normal" powered ones?

And, yeh, Windows XP is limited to using around 4GB of RAM, the Mac's OS X can use up to (possibly over) 16GB, and I'm pretty sure the higher-end G5's motherboards can acctualy take that much memory..

A lot of high-end servers can use.. lots.. Windows 2003 Server can support 32GBs of RAM, pretty sure unix and the likes isn't limited to any specific ammount of memory.. But it's more limited by how much your motherboard will take before screwing up/ingoring the extra memory..

But, yeh, you could get a system with that spec (Not sure if the quad-SLI is avalible yet, but the rest is..), but there is absoloutly no point what-so-ever for doing so, unless you happen to want to get rid of lots of money tounge2.gif

...annyway, as I said, those specs were just randomly made up to be totaly over the top.. Some game companies fell the need to use the most high-end system they can find/borrow/steal, to show everyone how good their game looks.. if they have a Å4000 computer.. While it might make the game look good, it doesn't give a good indication on how well my (meaning who-ever-is-seeing-the-screenshots/videos) computer will run it..

*Returns your ranting hat* tounge2.gif

- Ben

True..*takes hat* Yay ^^ *gives cookie* Hmm..not sure BIS would use all the high end computers,though there is no real way of knowing because it can look like anything on the outside,but its the inside that counts..cant do """" without the board n cards and chips and...*throws ranting hat off* Hm...I really need to stop wearing that. Thanks for the info though,I didn't know such specs were eh..possible,atleast for the computer to take.

dunno, but maybe BF2 are born to be slag?

i am not attacking anything here, but the fact that many things you say that bf2 "gives" you just doesnt float my boat, stat-tracking, done it b4 in AAO, not really useful, some say the flight mode in it is realistic.........well yeah, some part: the movement, but others are just a piece of S### over another, the point is that you cant really react on the movement, you just didnt fly/drive a vehical without feeling anything, and no need to add that you go from a not to takeoff speed within some 2s, yeah, "realistic" icon_rolleyes.gif

ok too much OT, anyway, someone say in another post that the bull thing printed on the BH and the armpatch of the soldier means bravo team, could anyone tell me how this works?

maybe ur dumb or u didnt check it or ur super inteligent

hmmm

*Sigh* Haven't people gotten bored of slagging of BF2 yet? mad_o.gif

I'm not exactly the biggest BF2 fan (..by a long way), but really, they are totaly different games. One is an fairly standard FPS, with maps, and is based around online, being fun, and stat-tracking, for squad-leauge stuff, the other is a tactical squad based shooter, with islands, not maps, based around.. well, what ever you want it to be (squad based online/modding/deathmatch/etcetc)

The only vaugly valid reason I can see for using in comparisons is it's popular, which is totaly invalidated by the fact OFP isn't a "popular" game, it's a cult tounge2.gif

You're right. But, the hostility towards Battlefield 2 is explainable.

From gamerevolution.com's review of BF2: MC (360 version):

"While the Battlefield series has always been decorated as hardcore, DICE evidently thought its reassignment to consoles called for a slightly softer core interface. This is most clearly evident in the way enemies that should be visible are marked by a red diamond, even if they're hiding in the grass."

From gamerevolution.com's review of OFP: Elite:

"Then, Digital Illusions came along and dropped the Battlefield 1942 bomb on Bohemia's parade. Battlefield 1942 did everything Flashpoint did with greater accessibility, more vehicles, and superior Conquest-style play. Rather than responding with another ground-breaking hit, Bohemia's counter-attack was an expansion, Operation Flashpoint: Resistance. Unfortunately, Resistance was futile."

Operation: Flashpoint fans do not like it when when Battlefield 2 is called "hardcore". They also hate it when the two games are compared as though they are the same thing, but with Battlefield doing everything better.

So yeah, you're right. They should be treated as completely different types of games.

OFP was a singleplayer game with some multiplayer support added later to the game. Bf is a multiplayer game for the ... socially challenged, who want to vie for e-dominance and ownage, You know the kind of computer nerds who watch pure-pwange.