Sign in to follow this  
Llauma

Llauma Head 2.0

Would there be any sort of performance hit using the open pbo idea? If not, that sounds ideal.

If y'all want asian faces, I'm surrounded by 'em here. biggrin_o.gif (just so I don't get skewered, that's not a racist comment - I'm ethnic chinese wink_o.gif ), and wouldn't mind taking the time to add to the texture library.

By the way, what about making facestex2 an open pbo. So you have a folder in the main flashpoint dir with all the face textures, and the facestex2.pbo could just contain the config and script. This makes it very easy to update without making some kind of an installer or forcing everyone to download the whole pack again.

hmmm

facestex2.pbo

and

facestex_cpp.pbo

when we will hit certain file size of facestex2.pbo

we can create facestex3.pbo, and so on, and so on

facestex_cpp.pbo will include only scripts and config

will be small enought to download eevrytime something will be added.

sounds good ? :-)

Maybe

facestexUKF.pbo

facestexDEFAULT.pbo

facestexRHS.pbo

etc...

and facestexCPP.pbo would contain config offcourse.

So everyone would need to have specific facestex for their addons and mods could update facestex on their own and have newest version on their site?

Maybe

facestexUKF.pbo

facestexDEFAULT.pbo

facestexRHS.pbo

etc...

and facestexCPP.pbo would contain config offcourse.

So everyone would need to have specific facestex for their addons and mods could update facestex on their own and have newest version on their site?

this way anyone can make own pbo without bothering my ass to do anything.

100 pbo's each with 10 faces doesnt match our plan

DudeX wil make 3 faces and then what ? release DudeX_facestex.pbo ?

its good for big mod teams

but now for independent addonmakers

and wont make this pack grow fast as we would want it to

sounds quite an viable way of implementing it - the idea of each team having a seperate pbo is nice in theory, but it could go a little OTT if 50 or so teams had one, we'd be snowed under with all the pbo's we'd need.

i'd say go the way offtime is suggesting.

By the way, what about making facestex2 an open pbo. So you have a folder in the main flashpoint dir with all the face textures, and the facestex2.pbo could just contain the config and script. This makes it very easy to update without making some kind of an installer or forcing everyone to download the whole pack again.

hmmm

facestex2.pbo

and

facestex_cpp.pbo

when we will hit certain file size of facestex2.pbo

we can create facestex3.pbo, and so on, and so on

facestex_cpp.pbo will include only scripts and config

will be small enought to download eevrytime something will be added.

sounds good ? :-)

Sounds good to me.

By the way I started making a female head model.. I guess someone might wanna use it, but it's not my highest priority right now.

Here's a pic of it.. It's still in very early stage of development but she's not too bad. tounge2.gif

woman3xe.jpg

and another angle..

woman22du.jpg

different situation

we have 2 packs,

lets say,

one from Llauma and me, second from Lottek

later UKF is making one, but they see that both already released packs have some faces they also would want to use

so what theyr up to ? (damn UKF< they always up to something tounge2.gifwink_o.gif )

they can copy those faces to own pbo, or make ppl download all pbo's

both ways are shitty becouse some ppl will need to download big pack with some faces they already have in different pbo

and then game will load one face as two different textures

or we will have rest of ppl that will need to download everything even if they wont need it

so skipping all ive said before

to make all those issues less annoyng

i think we should make themed packs like previously Llauma suggested

F_Afro.pbo

F_Camo.pbo

F_Europian.pbo

F_Asian.pbo

and ofcourse facestex_scripts.pbo

this way for american soldiers needed for download would be F_Afro and F_Europian, optionaly camo

and for polish only Europian pack

heh... we need more opinions on that

what ppl would consider to be less annoyng

@Llauma, females are more common in polish army every year

looks like im again interested in your project :P

Llauma: That looks like it's coming along nicely. Bit heavy on the makeup. tounge2.gif I was thinking about making a female character recently, since we seem to have one hell of a shortage of those (some notable exceptions, of course).

Now let's see some wires! tounge2.gif

different situation

we have 2 packs,

lets say,

one from Llauma and me, second from Lottek

later UKF is making one, but they see that both already released packs have some faces they also would want to use

so what theyr up to ? (damn UKF< they always up to something tounge2.gifwink_o.gif )

they can copy those faces to own pbo, or make ppl download all pbo's

both ways are shitty becouse some ppl will need to download big pack with some faces they already have in different pbo

and then game will load one face as two different textures

or we will have rest of ppl that will need to download everything even if they wont need it

so skipping all ive said before

to make all those issues less annoyng

i think we should make themed packs like previously Llauma suggested

F_Afro.pbo

F_Camo.pbo

F_Europian.pbo

F_Asian.pbo

and ofcourse facestex_scripts.pbo

this way for american soldiers needed for download would be F_Afro and F_Europian, optionaly camo

and for polish only Europian pack

heh... we need more opinions on that

what ppl would consider to be less annoyng

lol... well yes, every solution has its draw backs - perhaps those faces UKF feel are very specific to british forces, could remain in our pbo, but obviously free for everyone to use etc, and any we feel that are quite generic can be put into the facetex .pbo smile_o.gif

Hi guys (english not my first language)

Llauma, Offtime I think your work is awesome.

I was browsing in my Iexplorer then I went thru the typical day check of my gaming forums and I said "what the hell let's see what's new on OFP.info" and I saw this article of an Offtime's unit using some "Llauma's Head" and template.

It directed me to these forums, I had to register and say this to you guys.

I'm REINSTALLING OFP:CW and OFP:RES just to try this units, they're effing great.

Could someone fillme up in what units were released or what units use this new mesh?

Thanks.

Hi guys (english not my first language)

Llauma, Offtime I think your work is awesome.

I was browsing in my Iexplorer then I went thru the typical day check of my gaming forums and I said "what the hell let's see what's new on OFP.info" and I saw this article of an Offtime's unit using some "Llauma's Head" and template.

It directed me to these forums, I had to register and say this to you guys.

I'm REINSTALLING OFP:CW and OFP:RES just to try this units, they're effing great.

Could someone fillme up in what units were released or what units use this new mesh?

Thanks.

The head is not really official yet, hence it's in the A&M:Discussion forum.

The only released units which uses the new head is Offtime's GROM units found in A&M:Complete. It's somewhat limited as the installer is passworded but anyone who sends a simple PM to offtime will get it as the read me states.

When we have fixed a few things, such as the eyes it will become official.

The head is not really official yet, hence it's in the A&M:Discussion forum.

The only released units which uses the new head is Offtime's GROM units found in A&M:Complete. It's somewhat limited as the installer is passworded but anyone who sends a simple PM to offtime will get it as the read me states.

When we have fixed a few things, such as the eyes it will become official.

Of course Llauma, you are aware that the head model is also contained in facestex.pbo, don't know if by mistake, but it's there. smile_o.gif

By the way I started making a female head model.. I guess someone might wanna use it, but it's not my highest priority right now.

Looks ace, thanks for doing it.

And take your time, the female soldier will take long, too smile_o.gif

Of course Llauma, you are aware that the head model is also contained in facestex.pbo, don't know if by mistake, but it's there.  smile_o.gif

Yes I'm aware that the head is public but it's not officially released yet.

We need to fix a few things, such as the eyes and decide how the textures should be handled before we send it to the news sites. So once it gets official, it will come with some clear guidelines on how the project works.

hey Llauma thanks for the quick reply

heading to DL the grom pack by Offtime

of course I'll wait till the issues are fixed, everything worthwhile takes time wink_o.gif

Man, this reinstalling thing it's taking time...

Oh and PLEASE don't abandon the project of the female head, perhaps someone could come with a decent body mesh.

My two cents:

The eyes seem like they've been more or less sussed, from the looks of the variant with the eyelids (I'm using the same layout for my own head for the combat correspondent), at least in my humble opinion.

As far as the arms go, it may make sense to have the head textures as a 512x256 (I personally don't see the need to go as high as 1024x512; to me that's overkill), and then a couple of separate 512x256 textures for the arms, representing different skintones. And yes, I said arms, not hands, since there will likely be units with short sleeves (BlackBlood's BLEED comes to mind, as far as prior addons, and my own photographer, for future).

Ideally the textures would be a single 512x512, with the top half for the head, and the bottom half for hands and arms so that they'll match up better, but that would be a lot more work for not much gain. The skintone of your arms and hands will typically differ slightly from your face/head anyways, so this won't be a huge issue.

OFP has unattached hands so units with rolled up sleeves looks kind of weird anyway. When you have sleeves you can hide the fact that the hands are unattached. Almost all units have sleeves so doubling the texture size to please one or two percents of the addon makers is not really that smart.

The current size and layout is final.

Sounds sensible enough to me. What else needs looking into, then, texture-wise?

Oh, just curious, are you planning to make a female body to go with that head, or will you need someone to knock up a generic one in conjunction?

Sounds sensible enough to me. What else needs looking into, then, texture-wise?

Oh, just curious, are you planning to make a female body to go with that head, or will you need someone to knock up a generic one in conjunction?

I was thinking more of the texture pack and such should be handled.

And no I wont make a female body.. My heart can't handle stuff like that tounge2.gif

A female soldier body is quite similar to a male soldier body, maybe just slightly thinner in general.

Quote[/b] ]I was thinking more of the texture pack and such should be handled.

Doh. Completely forgot about that one. tounge2.gif

Female soldiers could probably use a male body after a bit of tweaking for proportions (since the gear tends to equalize a lot), but not so much for civilians. tounge2.gif

I might take a crack at it some time this month before I hit the books again. Certainly would be a fun side project.

status report

what i did today:

1. corected textures as Sanctuary sugested

2. fixed "bis face" bug after game save/load

3. fixed "get out from vehicle with completly new head"

need to do:

implement system for MP custom faces

(have it all sorted out in my mind, just need to write it down)

nice dreams everyone !

facestex2_05january2006.zip

new facestex2 dated 05-JANUARY-2006

mentioned eariel issues were fiixed, but MP custom face method is not implemented yet.

ADDED

IMPORTANT

new head needs to have two points in memory lod and animation defined in cpp, check out this addon for details

@LLauma

we could use some sort of readme or FAQ or something

i dont think that my english skills are good enought to write it

so maybe you could take care of that ?

I don't mean to sound like a noob asking this, i should know better, but the basefaces.sqs, what does that do exactly? (I know its for an eventhandler but like) what does it do lol (i know it should be obvious) hehe

Quote[/b] ]#again

_unit setface _fpick

_unit animate ["Fset", 1]

_delay = 1 + random(0.5)

#loop

~_delay

?!(alive _unit): goto "deadstate"

_Fis = _unit animationPhase "Fset"

?_Fis == 0: goto "again"

goto "loop"

In some missions that are already running scripts in the background, i think you should put a larger delay than this to prevent some possible performance issues with the missions scripts that have already their own delays.

Something like 5 or 6 should be enough in my opinion (was it to fix a problem with face with going into a vehicle and disembarking ? anyways, i suggest a longer delay , that would be very helpfull for scripters caring about their mission performance)

I tried to make a "Guba-like" face using the codemaster ex-chairman, Jim Darling picture used for the OFP guba model specific face

f15d9kx.jpg

The result is not really great :/ , showing my limits when it comes to using pictures modifications applications.

gjklgh6pa.jpg

[/img]