Sign in to follow this  
Llauma

Llauma Head 2.0

@LLauma

we could use some sort of readme or FAQ or something

i dont think that my english skills are good enought to write it

so maybe you could take care of that ?

Your english skills seems just fine to me but sure I could create something. I guess as the head model is final and the facestex pack is fixed I should create a new thread in A&M:Complete with all the info needed in the first post. The same thing will be added in the read me including a list of the face textures and the authours behind them.

@Sanctuary

Many of the BIS faces are quite possible to convert to the new layout, the actual face that is. The sides and back are too low res though so they have to be remade, but of course it can be simplyfied by re-using existing textures.

Unlike the other BIS units, the General Guba unit had its own specific head (like Angelina actually), and so had its exclusive texture , higher resolution and differently mapped than the usual BIS face system

front0my.jpg---side2hh.jpg -- back0yh.jpg

Other BIS faces should be more difficult to adapt, as they need some resizing that could make a hit on the quality.

Other BIS faces should be more difficult to adapt, as they need some resizing that could make a hit on the quality.

Sure, but the main characteristics will be there even if we would give them a haircut. I guess they might not be the default faces but at least those who would want a polish army Troska could have that.

Perhaps BIS still has the source files somewhere so if we all do some chanting or tibetan throat singing they might leak out. thumbs-up.gif

_unit = _this select 0

_Fis = _unit animationPhase "Fset"

?_Fis == 1: Exit

_frand = random(14)

_frand=_frand-(_frand mod 1)

_fpick= format ["llm_sol%1", _frand]

_fpick_d= format ["llm_sol%1D", _frand]

#again

_unit setface _fpick

_unit animate ["Fset", 1]

_delay = 1 + random(0.5)

#loop

~_delay

?!(alive _unit): goto "deadstate"

_Fis = _unit animationPhase "Fset"

?_Fis == 0: goto "again"

goto "loop"

#deadstate

_unit setface _fpick_d

exit

The best and simplest round randomization is:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_frand = random(14)

_frand=(_frand+.5)-(_frand+.5)%1

It was used by MAPFACT in their Revive/Respawn script and gives the most equal probability. IMO. But I am not a mathemiatician...

And I wander would be better for performance:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">@!(alive _unit) or _unit animationPhase "Fset" == 0

? !(alive _unit) : goto "deadstate"

goto "again"

1. I read somewhere on ofpec that @ is better for performance then looping (but this should be checked practicaly in this example)

2. There is no real need for variable _fis, as each time it was used it could have different value. So aswell:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

_unit = _this select 0

? _unit animationPhase "Fset" == 1: Exit

@ is NOT better for looping since, it's checked very often (like 0.1s or something close to it), so it has major impact on the amount of lag. There's no need to use that frequency here.

Besides, real randomization is not really required here, because it's only meant here to desync possible lag spikes, when loop condition for all the soldiers is being checked at once.

The best and simplest round randomization is:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_frand = random(14)

_frand=(_frand+.5)-(_frand+.5)%1

It was used by MAPFACT in their Revive/Respawn script and gives the most equal probability. IMO. But I am not a mathemiatician...

as Agent sayd, theres no need in making cpu do some more math just becouse "real" randomisation is not needed here

but thanks for pointing this out, i think i will use this or even more "random" method in different project im trying to complete

And I wander would be better for performance:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">@!(alive _unit) or _unit animationPhase "Fset" == 0

? !(alive _unit) : goto "deadstate"

goto "again"

1. I read somewhere on ofpec that @ is better for performance then looping (but this should be checked practicaly in this example)

2. There is no real need for variable _fis, as each time it was used it could have different value. So aswell:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

_unit = _this select 0

? _unit animationPhase "Fset" == 1: Exit

about Fis variable, your right, its left over from different attempt on writting this script, i will change this in next version

@Sanctuary

i think that changing delay to something like 2-3 seconds will work ok, longer one will give player chance to see bis face mapped on model after loading saved game before script will fixt that

A few lods were dropped out from the facestex2.pbo so the step between first and second lod is quite big. I have some alternative first lods for those who perhaps prefers a lower poly main lod. We'll add them to the p3d so the addon makers gets some more options.

@ag_smith

I do not know about @ for sure. I just said what I read on ofpec.

But about randomization, I was talking about face randomization, not loop time randomization. Check code I wrote.

I will work through this thread on sunday evening and try to create some new faces... highly interesting and probably overchallenging! (even if I wont be able to try them out I guess sad_o.gif )

BTW. are the pictures of GUBAS texture real size? Is that the image we can use as starting point?

@ag_smith

(...)

But about randomization, I was talking about face randomization, not loop time randomization. Check code I wrote.

You're right. I've misread your post. Sorry.

@ag_smith

I do not know about @ for sure. I just said what I read on ofpec.

A delay is often a lot more efficient than a @ for a mission performance ,

you can check this link to see some interesting informations from Suma on this subject.

Quote[/b] ]

BTW. are the pictures of GUBAS texture real size? Is that the image we can use as starting point?

These pictures i put up there are the real size of the files xicht_o_back.pac, xicht_o_front.pac and xicht_o_side.pac, that can be found inside of the BIS Data.pbo and are used to texture the exclusive head of the general guba model.

Notice there is a wound texture for this guba face : xicht_o_zranen.pac if you need it :

wounds6us.jpg

If you were talking about the texture for Llauma heads, that's the real size too.

But you can find better example there or here

I research the randomization problem as it is very often used by me.

I made a test mission to compare results of two types of randomization. In both we start with random 5 for results from 0 to 5 (6 possible results, as dice)

Randomization type I

_rand = random 5

_rand = _rand - (_rand mod 1)

Randomization type II

_rand = random 5

_rand = (_rand+.5) - (_rand + .5)%1

Here you have screen with results:

random_results.jpg

What it means.

It means that Offtime used right function smile_o.gif

But if he have 15 faces with numbers from 0 to 14, then he should start with (random 15) not (random 14)!

As in his script last face is never used!

There is MAYBE very very little chance for getting highest number as noone knows if random in OFP is inclusive or exlusive. But you can bet you will not get it, or you can add one condition to prevent it.

Type II gives not equal chances for all results, but as I remember, it simulate real dice. I am not sure, it was about 15 years ago in school, when I checked dice behaviour, so I can be wrong.

Here is test mission

Test mission

P.S. This should go to its own topic... but at this moment I want to share with you with my results.

AND THX for link to Suma's info.

Unlike the other BIS units, the General Guba unit had its own specific head (like Angelina actually), and so had its exclusive texture , higher resolution and differently mapped than the usual BIS face system

Actually data.pbo has higher resolution images for all faces. Look for files named xicht_x_back, -front and -side wink_o.gif. These face textures were used in first OFP demo, that's why all faces looked much better in it. I guess BIS made the smaller images with all face and hand parts to reduce texture count on soldier models.

Actually data.pbo has higher resolution images for all faces. Look for files named xicht_x_back, -front and -side wink_o.gif. These face textures were used in first OFP demo, that's why all faces looked much better in it. I guess BIS made the smaller images with all face and hand parts to reduce texture count on soldier models.

My dta.pbo only contains pics of Guba and Araon(?). If you really do have textures of all the faces then plz send them to me.

Quote[/b] ]These face textures were used in first OFP demo, that's why all faces looked much better in it

I do not remember in the 1st demo the heads were different, i just remember that the demo mission was a bit different (especially the end) than the retail version.

Thanks for the information, i will have to re-install it some day and take a closer look.

Quote[/b] ]Actually data.pbo has higher resolution images for all faces. Look for files named xicht_x_back, -front and -side

Like Llauma, i have noticed very few xicht front/back/side files in the current OFP data.pbo

Are you talking about another file (demo version of it ? ) that would have every BIS faces in such higher resolution ?

Would certainly be interesting to get them all for conversion to the new Llauma head standard.

I added a simple plane which I textured with a teeth texture with transparent zones.

Here's a preview from the ingame player setup. It's not like modelled teeth but at leats better than nothing. The upper teeth are too low but you'll get the idea. It looks quite cool if you ask me.

faceanim1sk.jpg

My dta.pbo only contains pics of Guba and Araon(?). If you really do have textures of all the faces then plz send them to me.

Hmm, it seems they are only in demo data.pbo after all confused_o.gif. Anyway I've uploaded them here.

Quote[/b] ] do not remember in the 1st demo the heads were different, i just remember that the demo mission was a bit different (especially the end) than the retail version.

Thanks for the information, i will have to re-install it some day and take a closer look.

Demo also has more idling animations for AI soldiers, like lighting a cigar and more relaxed standing. Detail texture for ground is also a bit different plus the sky doesn't have so many paa/pac compressions. I quess demo had different rendering system because sky and detail textures are same as in final version.

Hmm, it seems they are only in demo data.pbo after all confused_o.gif. Anyway I've uploaded them here.

Great.. I'm sure many of these will be quite useful, especially for creating east side faces.

thanks for the texture pack

I tried to rework a bit more Guba face, trying to give him the "angry" look there was on the BIS head

f151qa.jpg

Result :

guba7ty.jpg

And using the textures from Norsu, i tried to adapt Armstrong

xichtgfront9jl.jpg

It was a bit more difficult, as the face was a bit larger than the head model build, so i had to shrink it a bit to get it fit into Llauma head

f165ks.jpg

armstrong5gr.jpg

And that's exactly where i noticed that adapting the hairs is a very lot more difficult task than trying to adapt the face itself

looks really good  thumbs-up.gif

maybe give them different eye colours? (just an idea)

I was thinking exactly the same thing. They all have blue eyes at the moment.

IIRC brown eyes are more common since they're a dominant allele.

correct - the blue eye allele is recessive, meaning both parents need at least one blue allele to create a 1 in 4 chance of the child having it - if both parents have blue eyes, then all the children will too... but thats boring biology biggrin_o.gif

my only comment on the current faces is of course the probem with baldness that seems to be occuring - like you said getting the hair right is going to be a problem.