Sign in to follow this  
Llauma

Llauma Head 2.0

Hola,

Some good news before the less good ones.

The head model is ready and I have made ten lods for it. I guess no one will be using all of them, but it allows you to pick the model which best fits your lod.

The current issue are the textures. The old head uses textures which demands some heavy stretching to fit. The main face fits better than before but the ear and hairline around the ear is quite bad. There are three options:

1. Make the model after the texture, but that will end up in a weird looking head. This also requires that I will keep on working on the model.

2. Stretch the textures and tilt the gizmo to make the ear placement better. This will mean that the main face mapping won't be as good and the stretching of the texture will look ugly, and it will make texturing new textures harder. This also requires that I need to remap the head and then do some stretching.

3. We adjust the ear and hairline placement on the textures to get a perfect fit. How long this will take depends on how many works on modifying them. I guess I could modify a few per day so with some aid it won't take many days.

So addon makers who uses the old head or are interested in the new one, please gimme your oppinion on the issue.

If you prefer the third alternative, which I personally prefer then I could release the new head before the end of this year as it's mapped and everything. I just need to do some face animation tweaking. I would also release an accurate UV map of the head which will aid the texturing a lot.

I have one final question. It's more of a performance issue. I was thinking about the lower half of the texture layout which was originally planned to be reserved for arm textures. How many addons makers are actually using the lower half? If no one is doing that then I suggest that we cut off the lower half, if we still are gonna modify the textures.

As many addons are using the old head and the facetex pack I suggest that we create a version 2 of the facetex pac so we won't ruin any released addons by modifying the textures.

Finally here's a comparison between the old and the new head. The new head uses a texture I quickly modified.

compair9ve.jpg

Edit: Thanks Ralphie smile_o.gif

The new head model looks a lot better than the old one! I think, option 3 would be the best if there are some willing guys who can spare some time to modify the faces.

About the lower half of the textures - isn't it used for black - white guys? I mean, aren't the hands on the lower half? Blacks with white hands would look strange (or vice versa).

this is first Arma addon?! it's out in the shops now? what i missed?

those heads look beautifull wow_o.gif , but how? notworthy.gif

awesome! thumbs-up.gif

About the lower half of the textures - isn't it used for black - white guys? I mean, aren't the hands on the lower half? Blacks with white hands would look strange (or vice versa).

That's what I am trying to find out. I dont know whether people are using seperate textures for their models or if they have actually remapped the hands using the hands included in the head texture. The script which assigns random textures can be modified so each hand texture is assigned to a certain face so you can solve the black/white problem by other means than including them in the same texture.

Looks great, i like the new version, i think option 3 is the best idea.

Now i need some more variety facewise and especially something more eastern and i can use it smile_o.gif

Good work Llauma

As I use your old head alot I'd prefer the option 3 smile_o.gif

Looking good as allways

Option 3  

I feel like I'm head spoiled here. Even though the existing heads you made arent "perfect", I like them loads better than the BIS ones.

thumbs-up.gif

can you give us some mesh pic of hte new head llauma?

i can give you some input on it then

option 3 for me - eager to play with the new head smile_o.gif

i'd say include arm textures, as well as hand textures too - if its there, then there's no problem with people asking for it later?

AFAIR, all OFPL soldier models use separate hand textures, so there's no problem with removing the lower half.

Sounds like the option 3 is the way to go...

I personally would love it if the hands and forearms were all in one texture, but we all can't have what we want.

Also since you've worked on it this long, I'd say fix the uvmaps as best as you can and not cut corners even if it means new head UVs are needed which may mean new head textures needed as well.

From the screenshot you posted, it looks excellent already. Normally a person is most critical of their own work, so I'd say, fix it how YOU want to fix it. If you feel like your done with the project, I wouldn't put much more time into it. Of course, if you do go option 3 and do the hard work, I'm positive that it will turn out to be...as Peter Griffin would say..."Freakin Sweet".

The head model isn't perfect but I wont try to do that either as I dont have the skills for it. As I've said so many times before, I'm just a noob at this. Sure, I could map it but I only know O2 light and the gizmo mapping has some flaws. I assume there are other programs which offers better mapping tools so if anyone of you think he has the skills to create a good and efficient mapping plz PM me and I'll send you the model. It would be stupid to let me do a bad job if there are others who are much more skilled at this and who would be able to do a better job.

Things like the eyes, ears, nose and whether they should be mapped seperately is still an issue. I'm quite sure that the eyes should be mapped seperately. The result is so much better as you can use higher resolution eyes which gives the impression of higher res textures without actually having that. I'm not that sure about the ears though as both ways has their pro's but I'm the noob here so what do I know?  tounge2.gif Finally the nose should be mapped with the rest of the head, the result is good and it doesn't complicate it, at least this is my oppinion about it.

Perhaps someone who want's arms and hands to be included in the texture could show how they want it. This also requires that someone actually remaps the hands with the hands included in the texture. If the arms and the hands are included in the texture which size are we looking at? Making it 512x512 means that the front face texture will be pretty much the same resolution as the BIS heads. Is it enough for you or should we make it 1024x1024? This is quite high res for a face and if hardly anyone uses the arm and hands zones it's a

waste of resources.

damn, your ugly tounge2.gif

j/k wink_o.gif

Llauma sent me last night his creation, i think i will have something to show later at night.

Head is greate, im preparing new facestex and modyfying slightly mapping to fix issues Llauma mentioned eariel.

Okay, those who have the head now keep in mind that the model isn't final until the last mapping has been done. I guess the model might see some smaller changes but hopefully nothing bigger.

btw, the new one IS the right one, or am i totally wrong? :/

anyway, the right one is the one that kinda looks like me wink_o.gif

It's modders like you that have keeped OFP alive for this long, I'm using your heads in our mod with Offtimes bodies, this combination has really given our Mod a boost. I think I would choose option three, but you do what you want to do, again Great work. thumbs-up.gif

glowa15cw.jpg

ive made just some little changes in first lod

eyes and ears are now mapped from different part of texture

like in old head model

basicaly in my opinion this model if realy greate

now im adjusting old textures for it

unfortunately i doubt i will make as much of them as we had in last pack, becouse i dont have source files from last pack and converting them from pac to tga again gives files with shitty quality

but i will add some camoed versions co it wont be so poor ;-)

btw...

eyes look odd in o2

but when he blinks sometimes in game this effect dissapears ;-)