Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Even addons that deletevehicle and are replaced with damaged models are too noticeable, never liked it..

That's just because they are done badly, they don't cover it properly and you can sometimes see both models at once for a short time.

Its not that... i've seen very good scripting used to achieve this on vehicles but it still feels fake since you can easily tell that something was deleted and something was spawned out of nowhere. This was with small vehicles, imagine the horror if it was used on large buildings and structures (like Lipany town hall or a huge hangar).

Quote[/b] ]And now you say ArmA destruction looks fine? Make up your mind crazy_o.gif

When did i say otherwise? What i say is that it needs some work but its definetly better than something like deletebuilding and createbuilding this... if they slow down the colapsing and add more debris and some remaining walls it will look damn fine wink_o.gif .

edit: Remember that BIS are the pro's, i doubt they will use bad workarounds in Arma.

Most games simply replace models with destroyed versions, sometimes they spawn as multiple pieces, Battlefield 2 seems to do that. What do you expect them to do? Break and deform into hundreds of pieces crazy_o.gif That kind of destruction is a few more years away.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]And now you say ArmA destruction looks fine? Make up your mind crazy_o.gif

When did i say otherwise? What i say is that it needs some work but its definetly better than something like deletebuilding and createbuilding this... if they slow down the colapsing and add more debris and some remaining walls it will look damn fine wink_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]

I cant believe someone actually sugested that BIS should swap building models and cover it up with smoke to simulate building destruction, please... crazy_o.gif .

That's exactly what bis are doing, swapping a building with the rubble, and covering it up with the building going down into the smoke where it disappears. tounge2.gif

Err... no, in the trailer you actually see the building colapsing (sinking) instead of the model being swapped, the destruction effect is.. progressive (bad choice of words, i know), the building doesnt disappear and is replaced by a damaged version (fortunetly) so the event doesnt look fake.

Dynamic destruction is something we can forget about for a good while but imagine that some parts of the building wouldnt colapse (walls) and the result would be more than good enough even if not dynamic (imo).

At this stage whatever they made is not likelly to be changed, i wont loose any sleep because i cant shoot bricks and walls out of a building anyway smile_o.gif .

Correction, what an apt comment from someone with such a moniker smile_o.gif That actually happened to me earlier. I think sometimes firefox doesn't like to copy... or, perhaps it's my keyboard?

I editted my post with the link I meant to show. It's the same implosion from a different angle as -TL- was so kind as to hunt down.

That fish is still creepy, though.

Even addons that deletevehicle and are replaced with damaged models are too noticeable, never liked it..

That's just because they are done badly, they don't cover it properly and you can sometimes see both models at once for a short time.

Its not that... i've seen very good scripting used to achieve this on vehicles but it still feels fake since you can easily tell that something was deleted and something was spawned out of nowhere. This was with small vehicles, imagine the horror if it was used on large buildings and structures (like Lipany town hall or a huge hangar).

Quote[/b] ]And now you say ArmA destruction looks fine? Make up your mind  crazy_o.gif

edit: Remember that BIS are the pro's, i doubt they will use bad workarounds in Arma.

Most games simply replace models with destroyed versions, sometimes they spawn as multiple pieces, Battlefield 2 seems to do that. What do you expect them to do? Break and deform into hundreds of pieces  crazy_o.gif  That kind of destruction is a few more years away.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]And now you say ArmA destruction looks fine? Make up your mind  crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I cant believe someone actually sugested that BIS should swap building models and cover it up with smoke to simulate building destruction, please... crazy_o.gif .

That's exactly what bis are doing, swapping a building with the rubble, and covering it up with the building going down into the smoke where it disappears.  tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]That kind of destruction is a few more years away.

no isnt they have this technology .. but they want use it.. like havock.. they have and not usin it..

Hey guys,

will the people who buy the German version (without english text) be able to change it after release if someone translates?

(I searched but found nothing)

Thanks! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]will the people who buy the German version (without english text) be able to change it after release if someone translates?

Noone knows for sure.

since it is only a text file (at least the stringtable was in OFP) there should be no problem translating it yourself

Err... no, in the trailer you actually see the building colapsing (sinking) instead of the model being swapped, the destruction effect is.. progressive (bad choice of words, i know), the building doesnt disappear and is replaced by a damaged version (fortunetly) so the event doesnt look fake.

It looks like it sinks in the ground (just an straight going down animation), and it gets replaced by the time we cant see it anymore because of the smoke smile_o.gif

What i would like to know if we can give buildings .rtm animations, or the same kind of anims we can use on vehicles huh.gif

(Because .rtm animations could be great for modders who want to do something nice with the destruction whistle.gif )

Quote[/b] ](Because .rtm animations could be great for modders who want to do something nice with the destruction whistle.gif )

Indeed smile_o.gif. and if we see the bridge pieces they are animated a little (hopes), all we need to do is replace those models for new ones ,where a house is concerned and add some drop effects for the flying rubble and it should look very nice.

Also what would be nice if the buildings are enterable and the effect of a law or shell hiting the wall can be dumbed down so it dosent automatically kill everyone in the whole building ?

i think its called blast radius

In the e-sports or podcast interview i cant remember , placebo says that ambient life and ai ? contain within them a moddable script package that controls how they behave.so hopefully within these brick pieces of the bridge is a script or .rtm that can be modded too ,fingers crossed.

meanwhile here is a full page of what is possible in ofp at the moment , concerning destructables here

Talking about destruction, is it possible to shoot windows out in OFP? And will it be possible in ArmA? It's been so long since I played... wink_o.gif

Talking about destruction, is it possible to shoot windows out in OFP?  And will it be possible in ArmA?  It's been so long since I played...  wink_o.gif

No, and don't know (probably not).

There was o glass in the windows on Nogova, but there were on Everon, Malden and Kolgojev. The only thing was, if you stand inside of a glass window, you can look out, but cant see vehicles out side! How odd.

i cant remember any glass in OFPs houses/windows. no breakable at least. i already wondered if there are glassed windows in arma. breakable glass. not really needed.

i cant remember any glass in OFPs houses/windows. no breakable at least. i already wondered if there are glassed windows in arma. breakable glass. not really needed.

Breakable glass not needed during urban combat ? crazy_o.gif

Not needed? Ummm, that would be a real immersion killer if there are windows without glass, or if there are windows with glass, but when I shoot you through it, it doesn't break... icon_rolleyes.gif

Not needed?  Ummm, that would be a real immersion killer if there are windows without glass, or if there are windows with glass, but when I shoot you through it, it doesn't break...  icon_rolleyes.gif

Keep in mind that most of the buildings in the combat zones don't have glass in their windows. The glass is either knocked out on purpose (in order to prevent secondary injuries), or accidentally as a result of eplosive shock waves.

IMHO, the lack of glass windows in ArmA should have a minimal effect on game play.

Peace,

DreDay

Not needed? Ummm, that would be a real immersion killer if there are windows without glass, or if there are windows with glass, but when I shoot you through it, it doesn't break... icon_rolleyes.gif

Keep in mind that most of the buildings in the combat zones don't have glass in their windows. The glass is either knocked out on purpose (in order to prevent secondary injuries), or accidentally as a result of eplosive shock waves.

IMHO, the lack of glass windows in ArmA should have a minimal effect on game play.

Peace,

DreDay

Sounds resonable but in most of ArmA vids cities didnt look like combat zone, more like places untouched by war destruction, so it would be good to have some "glass_rain" during initial explosions starting firefight. Of course lack of glass in widows wount break the game for me but i hope there wount be unpenetrable windows (textures sticked to the wall) in accessible buildings.

Dynamic destruction is something we can forget about for a good while but imagine that some parts of the building wouldnt colapse (walls) and the result would be more than good enough even if not dynamic (imo).

At this stage whatever they made is not likelly to be changed, i wont loose any sleep because i cant shoot bricks and walls out of a building anyway smile_o.gif .

I saw the video. The model IS being swapped, the building sinks into the ground, with smoke at the bottom. The model of the building disappears once it is hidden in the smoke and is swapped with the rubble. It is just model swapping covered up, nothing different to normal swapping besides the transition.

Not needed?  Ummm, that would be a real immersion killer if there are windows without glass, or if there are windows with glass, but when I shoot you through it, it doesn't break...  icon_rolleyes.gif

Peace,

DreDay

Sounds resonable but in most of ArmA vids cities didnt look like combat zone, more like places untouched by war destruction, so it would be good to have some "glass_rain" during initial explosions starting firefight. Of course lack of glass in widows wount break the game for me but i hope there wount be unpenetrable windows (textures sticked to the wall) in accessible buildings.

Yeah, would be cool, but that would mean at least very basic interiors would have to be made for the windows to not be there, and that would have multiplied the time taken to make the buildings quite a lot.

Still, no reason why a mod can't make it's own custom buildings as Deanosbeano demonstrated. Can't see it being in ArmA.

Daniel @ Oct. 24 2006,17:52)]Yeah, would be cool, but that would mean at least very basic interiors would have to be made for the windows to not be there, and that would have multiplied the time taken to make the buildings quite a lot.

Still, no reason why a mod can't make it's own custom buildings as Deanosbeano demonstrated. Can't see it being in ArmA.

As I said, real windows only in accessable buldings. Other houses, can have "sticked" widnows tounge2.gif

yeah although glass windows would be cool. i reckon they should have a random script, so some windows have them and others dont. this gives the feel of urban areas that has only been affected a little by blasts and stuff. then if u were at the start of the war u could have most if not all windows in place then by the end have little to no windows.

Glass windows might be a nice touch, but i wont miss it if it's not there. What i would like to see is glass windows in cars. I know OFP had it, but if you shot out one window, all windows would smash. It would be a nice touch to take out one or two windows.

I don't care for galss in houses really,