Sign in to follow this  
Kode

AI in ArmA

Hello, I haven't seen any information about the AI in ArMa. Something that sometimes bothered me in OFP was the AI doing crazy things like not driving straight, stayed on the same place, having a hard time boarding a vehicle with making a huge walk and so on. I heared that the AI in OFP:E was improved alot, and you even needed them for information about the enemy, but will there be things like interaction, talking(like in ECP), hand signals perhaps?

This is quite impossible to see on the screenshots,and well,it is quite important in multiplayer and single player in my opinion.

So I was wondering if somebody knew anything about it.

well all the improvements from OFP:E will be in there, but as for any more info on the AI....well there is none. Looks like we'll just have to wait for BIS to release some more info....some time soon...hopfully... confused_o.gif

The AI will be improved... the navigation system was pretty bad in OFP, and i could imagine various problems with the navigation on a more detailed island.

So when optimising the AI for Sarah, it would be weird not making some other improvements as well smile_o.gif

I hope they make a mix of ECP and VME's AI. they shout stuff (ECP) , and behave differently depending on their anarment ( machinegunners provide covering fire: vme)

Some of OFP's AI was really good, pity it took away allot of the CPU's recources, making it impossible to play with more then a couple of groups (let alone online)

Well, if Aras is what they say it is im not expecting much improvements over OPFR in that department, not too concerned because the OPFR a.i. is very good but some adjustments would be welcome.

Like having them not crash into eachother when flying helicopters, reducing their weird acuracy when manning MG's (500M wow_o.gif ), improving pathfinding and movement in the environment, making helicopter side gunners usefull ( wink_o.gif ).

Maybe make use of covering fire and cover/concealment..

Theres some tweaks that added with some gameplay adjustments would improve the overall gameplay and realism without making dramatic changes, Aras is still supposed to be an upgrade with new content and not a completely rebuilt new game so i doubt BIS will rebuilt the a.i. from scratch.

Well, if Aras is what they say it is im not expecting much improvements over OPFR in that department, not too concerned because the OPFR a.i. is very good but some adjustments would be welcome.

Well, actually the OFPR's AI is a pretty huge piece of cake. I played OFP yesterday, and I saw that they are dumbs. There was a single soldier on the road, who spot me and started shooting at me. I moved away and got covered by a hause, so i flanked the guy, and he was still there on the road... huh.gif

well on a indivisual soldier level the AI is pretty dumb but in squads and on the larger scale of things OFPs AI is very good. Since they react to a pretty dynamic enviroment unlike most games that are in small confined spaces which dont really require the AI to do much and can have most of it scripted. So since there isnt any game to compare OFPs AI too id say it pretty good. (Apart from maybe delta force games but...c'mon, thoughs AIs sucked.)

Aras is still supposed to be an upgrade with new content and not a completely rebuilt new game so i doubt BIS will rebuilt the a.i. from scratch.

Is it just me or Placee said something like that: they think about calling arma - game2 and game2 - game3...

Yep thats true, it was in one of the interviews where placebo said how much theyve added and such in Arma that they might as well call it game 2 and game 2 game 3 crazy_o.gif

Aras is still supposed to be an upgrade with new content and not a completely rebuilt new game so i doubt BIS will rebuilt the a.i. from scratch.

Is it just me or Placee said something like that: they think about calling arma - game2 and game2 - game3...

He posted Arma was growing into a game 2 of its own, that can be interpreted in a diferent number of ways, personaly i think he tried to reasure us that things are progressing well and the improvements make the game feel like a new one has BIS is keeping very quiet about it for now..

But in the end it is still the same engine and game but improved and looking more up to date, performing better, etc so i doubt BIS will rebuilt or code everything from scratch again.

The OPFR is the best real a.i. out there, it might need some fine tuning but technicaly it is still quite above average smile_o.gif .

Well, actually the OFPR's AI is a pretty huge piece of cake. I played OFP yesterday, and I saw that they are dumbs. There was a single soldier on the road, who spot me and started shooting at me. I moved away and got covered by a hause, so i flanked the guy, and he was still there on the road... huh.gif

Ok, now put 2 other guys in his squad and give them a "Guard" waypoint, heh, the AI isnt that bad heh? wink_o.gif

The AI will be improved... the navigation system was pretty bad in OFP, and i could imagine various problems with the navigation on a more detailed island.

So when optimising the AI for Sarah, it would be weird not making some other improvements as well smile_o.gif

navigation was bad? you have a compass an a map, thats enough! we are playing a simulation game, not arcade.

by the way i saw some modifications which have improved the ai very good. i saw some ai, which were healing there comrades after there was wounded. ofp have the possibility for very good ai but most maps dont use it.

navigation was bad? you have a compass an a map, thats enough! we are playing a simulation game, not arcade.

He meant a.i. pathfinding wink_o.gif , like how the a.i. had problems moving in certain places, running thru walls and stuff like that.

by the way i saw some modifications which have improved the ai very good. i saw some ai, which were healing there comrades after there was wounded. ofp have the possibility for very good ai but most maps dont use it.

yea... since we are in the AI-thread, of course im talking about the AI smile_o.gif

The AI-pathfinding (more exact word), wasnt very good... also, it would be nice that the AI was more free when moving in formatons (ie. not responding on you smallest movements). That would make it more realistic.

One thing that get on my nerves is that the AI's can see you through bushes... you are creeping very quiet in cover of a wall of bushes... you can't see anyone... so you think anyone can't see you and than "bang bang" you are death because one AI could see you with his eagle-eyes through the bushes... crazy_o.gif

Maybe thats not a problem with the AI rather with the bushes but perhaps it is!

John R. @ Oct. 31 2005,09:56)]One thing that get on my nerves is that the AI's can see you through bushes... you are creeping very quiet in cover of a wall of bushes... you can't see anyone... so you think anyone can't see you and than "bang bang" you are death because one AI could see you with his eagle-eyes through the bushes... crazy_o.gif

1.46 and earlier didnt have this problem. Make the game a little harder, which to some extent is not that much of a bad thing. As the way I see it bushes and grass doesnt move when the player/AI brush up against it as it would irl. You see grass moving or hear a twig snap you spray it then check it out (sounds like modern warfare to me, depending where your from) rofl.gif. But I do agree would be nice if this was changed back to original way. The stock standard AI is very smart for what it is, i've set up a personal mission with lots of addons(tanks apcs AAA/SAM planes helos soldiers) and viewdistance set 3000m with UA running on both side( scripts letting certain AI call in UA Arty) and standing back and watching is amazing and it hasnt played out the same way twice(so far). Changes to the AI would be welcome however but asking for them now is pointless, all we can do is wait and see what they give us and if need be im sure people will improve it to suit.

I think bad pathfinding CQ has a lot to do with the clipping issue which if OFP:E is to go by has been mostly resolved

yay.gif.

John R. @ Oct. 31 2005,08:56)]One thing that get on my nerves is that the AI's can see you through bushes... you are creeping very quiet in cover of a wall of bushes... you can't see anyone... so you think anyone can't see you and than "bang bang" you are death because one AI could see you with his eagle-eyes through the bushes... crazy_o.gif

Nope, you can hide in the bushes and the a.i. wont see you, on the original 3 islands hiding in the bushes works perfectly, this problem happens in the Nogova bushes only, i think it works if you hide behind the bush tough smile_o.gif .

So since there isnt any game to compare OFPs AI too id say it pretty good. (Apart from maybe delta force games but...c'mon, thoughs AIs sucked.)

The F.E.A.R. has the best AI atm, and there are huge open areas in it.

The F.E.A.R. has the best AI atm, and there are huge open areas in it.

Not really, they seemed very scripted in the demo, i remember this courtyard where a helicopter would drop some guys and they all ran in a big loop following the same waypoints runing and gunning.

Even without script the OPFR a.i. can do alot more than that all on their own, if BIS tweaked them to fight more realisticly they would still be the best independant a.i. out there smile_o.gif .

years ago i make a mission in wich my ai-forces have to pushtrough the valley of saint pierre. i make a no go mission with much of entrenched infantery, bunkers, 50cal's, a a lot of armor only to see whats happening. they tryed to storm the valley, but against this mass of enemys they really had no chance to survive.

they get slaughtered. but suddenly they start to run back over the starting point and began to climb the hills and fall into the defensless flanks. weird. this was not scripted in any way, because

i never learned scripting. at most times these guys a really stupid, but sometimes they acting weird....

mmmm Imagine AI properly using cover like trees, fallen stumps, buildings, bushes and so on.

Moreover, AI should know where ist the limit...Fear was mentioned many times...It would be rather the intellect.

Something that would force them to find a cover and stay there during heavy fire, something that would make ai leaders not to send their men to fight against a heavy mg, with handguns...

whistle.gif

there aren't many games you could compare OFP's AI to, I don't even know one that is out, the only game I know that has a good AI is stalker, but that isn't out yet, no other game has big maps like OFP(that I know of). FEAR's AI is good, but it's still small maps...

However I think that they worked hard on it, especially when they want to realise a huge dynamic campaign as they said would be for game 2(or game 3 as some people say tounge2.gif )

FEAR does have very good AI for closed quarters game. But I am pretty sure that it will fail miserably in the open battlefields the size of OFP.

yes, fear has a very good ki for closed quarter battles. farcry has an very good ki too. and this guys are good in long range fighting and alos in close combat situations. i think the ai in fear and farcry is mostly unscripted like in ofp.

i hope ArmA's ai is better than ofp's. ofp's ai is very good for an game from 2001. but there are somethings that i wish to see - ai

search for cover behind walls or trees or other obstacles by them self. in situations were you fight in wide open territory like fields were is not much cover the ofp ai acts realistic - when there is no cover the only thing you can do ist "hit the dirt". but in villages and towns ofp is getting weak.

but with all its errors and weaknesses in some points of gameplay ofp is still the best and most reliably combat simulation on the market since its release. and thx to all the modders who pushing ofp to its limits in graphics, gameplay and addons - they keep this game worth play over all this years. when i have to setup an new xp, ofp ist still the first game i install on the "virgin" system. i hope ArmA will give a big and new push for smoother gameplay, ai and graphics before the "next generation game" will give us an über-ofp (i hope so!wink_o.gif