Sign in to follow this  
garrison86

Possiblities...

With Join In Progress being added in ArmA, a smaller scale MMOFPS Server would be a possibility right?

With Join In Progress being added in ArmA, a smaller scale MMOFPS Server would be a possibility right?

Depends, BIS have posted some time ago that jip would be available only for certain game type or types, im not sure atm.

Its likely that on a custom mission type that involves alot of scripting that a client that join in mid game might "break" it for himself even if he is able to join.

We will have to wait and see how it will work and what the scripting gods will be able to achieve smile_o.gif .

i hope 160 players support stays in ArmAs (or more smile_o.gif) ...

As Game 2 is along the lines of an RPG it may be more feasible then?

Now, no more talk of that in this forum. Goto the Game 2 board! whistle.gif

join in progress will make CTI get much better, the many times of disapoitment when the connection died or ofp CTD'ed on me during CTi or some other game types too tounge2.gif

I wish i could get to meet Bis and give 'em a hug for implementing JIP. biggrin_o.gif Would be cool to have cti with few players and no a.i for a star then suddenly there is more and more players dropping in and reinforcing the sides and making the battle go back and forth pistols.gifpistols.gif

Small role playing servers will pwns with JIP/better netcode

I remeber wanting to kill people when they d/c in the middle of a game, but I coulnd't as they had no way of getting back ingame without restarting the mission tounge2.gif

Depending on what new functions are avalible, it might be possible to send a player to another island (on a different server), so techicaly you could have infintly huge worlds

But scripting things like that sound like they could be security issue..

But anyway, the JIP will benifit loads of things, and is even better as you can turn it of.. So you either use the new feature, or turn it of.. Pleases everyone tounge2.gif

- Ben

A Smaller Scale Modern Day WWIIOL is pretty much what I imagined (w/o all the complex missions screens). If you have a dedicated community (kinda like the tourneys for BF Series) it would be awesome..

Quote[/b] ]Good lord, 160 player support?

I guess you can scrap that number. It´s very unrealistic.

I would be happy with 40 vs 40 but real combat, not cti crap with factories and money and that kind of bs, then again 3/4 players coop usualy turns out more fun, its a reality that 80% of all online gamers suffer from terrible issues so i dont really care much wink_o.gif .

We all know that OFP suffered sales becuase JIP wasnt in place. Things are good when you have a group of people that do something for the pure love. Now were going to have alot of CS BF2 type people playing on servers :-( People that dont have any true skill or understand their enviorment screaming ...your cheating your cheating! banghead.gif It's even worse when the unskilled one is admin of the server .... band.gif

Quote[/b] ]Good lord, 160 player support?

I guess you can scrap that number. It´s very unrealistic.

never saw a server with so many peeps , infact i never saw a server over 40 peeps

Quote[/b] ]We all know that OFP suffered sales becuase JIP wasnt in place.

Really ?

From what I know OFP was a million seller.

JIP will be a feature that can be turned on or off.

As OFP was too complex for those BF guys they strolled away pretty fast. In the end it´s the MP com that decides which way they will play ArAs. Noone is forced to use JIP in coop maps or elsewhere.

It´s a feature, not a rule.

Really ?

From what I know OFP was a million seller.

JIP will be a feature that can be turned on or off.

As OFP was too complex for those BF guys they strolled away pretty fast. In the end it´s the MP com that decides which way they will play ArAs. Noone is forced to use JIP in coop maps or elsewhere.

It´s a feature, not a rule.

OFP Came out before BF42... they didn't stroll away pretty quickly... BF42 was the first major loss of Community. It came out somewhere round the Resistence Era I think?

And I Play BF....

It was not literally related to BF. Insert any bunny-hopping unrealistic pseudo mil-sim, like CS or Wolfenstein or whatever.

Quote[/b] ]BF42 was the first major loss of Community

I prefer a more focussed and motivated com than a community of people who want to turn OFP into a FPS shooter with little reality and max bunny-hopping factor.

Let´s call it natural selection. People who were after the bunny-thing left. People who played on OFP for 4 or more years definately share a common level of addiction to reality-alike gameplay.

I guess CTF´s are hardly played regularely by any old OFP clans anymore these days. It´s just too boring.

OFP com is different to other coms.

I hope AA will keep this trend.

It was not literally related to BF. Insert any bunny-hopping unrealistic pseudo mil-sim, like CS or Wolfenstein or whatever.
Quote[/b] ]BF42 was the first major loss of Community

I prefer a more focussed and motivated com than a community of people who want to turn OFP into a FPS shooter with little reality and max bunny-hopping factor.

Let´s call it natural selection. People who were after the bunny-thing left. People who played on OFP for 4 or more years definately share a common level of addiction to reality-alike gameplay.

I guess CTF´s are hardly played regularely by any old OFP clans anymore these days. It´s just too boring.

Amen to that.

If i want some quick action i shall go and play FEAR or Quake 4 MP not OFP. OFP is for some serious milsim action which requires time and patience to get through and enjoy.

Would like to further add that games like BF2 are crap , any game which tries to use the military theme for a quick fragfest sort of thing is dumb , theres no fun in it. If you want a quick fragfest go for FEAR or Quake/Unreal sort of thing maybe even CS but definitely not BF2.

I somewhere saw OFP:E player numbers according to bandwidth, maybe we can roughly approximate numbers for PC for new netcode?

-ArmA would probably be more demanding

-Bigger missions with scripting

+We can set dedicated server

Quote[/b] ] never saw a server with so many peeps , infact i never saw a server over 40 peeps

well about 2 years ago the FragHaus OFP server got a game going with 100+ players. even if it did lag like a monster it was done, and i think that wouldnt be a problem with ArmAss or Game2 since the net code is far better, or at least i hope so.

Its not only about the game types, its also the gameplay and the game itself, nothing really very sim alike in CTI's yet they are the most popular maps, i think the perfect game type for OPF would be adversarial C&H because this type of map can be made somewhat realistic, same with CTF's, if someone would bother replacing the flags with objects like laptops or briefcases and call it asset recovery everyone would praise how realistic that would be or how it would feel more like doing a real mil op instead of playing just a game and the basics would be just the same wink_o.gif .

The way OPF is played out there doesnt make it that diferent from other games, well.. except coop ofcourse wink_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Would like to further add that games like BF2 are crap

I guess it´s a bit too hard to say those games are crap.

They are different, with a different audience and a different goal they want to achieve. It´s like music for the masses and individual music. Both have their place and both need to be there to reach a widespread audience. If all games would be like OFP, OFP would be mainstream. So luckily OFP is a bit different and that what´s makes it special. At least for us.

To condemn all other games just because they are not like OFP is not fair imo. All of that games have their right to exist and the com they aim(ed) for.

From our perspective OFP is the top-choice, but that doesn´t mean that all people should go out and buy it.

I hope you get my point. There´s a place for OFP and BF2 or any other FPS of that kind.

And now let´s debate on with the possibillities ArAs will hopefully offer us to cultivate our addiction once more smile_o.gif

True bals but just to make MY point clear , i am not against FPS shoot'em ups the quick mindless sort even , infact i am a big Quake fan. Its just these mil styled shoot'em ups that seem pointless to me.

Quote[/b] ]Would like to further add that games like BF2 are crap

To condemn all other games just because they are not like OFP is not fair imo.

But a lots of BF2 players say OFP is a crap because it is too hard game for they, and ofp haven't got good graphics (but they didn't see none of ofp mods, or resistance) smile_o.gif