Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

OFP Navy

I'm halfway to a full functioning, static Carrier. But as great as the Nimitz was, it's looking a bit dated now.

If someone could update or revamp the kuznetsov (my AI can't land on the thing without roadways) I'd be happy to get it up and running alongside the Nimitz.

Execuse me if it's reinventing the wheel but have anybody tried to build up a carrier as an island? I've never made an island so I may be wrong but ther may be a way to do this with "invisible" ground textures and objects and it could save a lot of scripting work, could solve the "cannot walk on an object" problem and many others, what say? Okay okay, tide trouble, underground objects problems, cell size worries, do you know some wrptool/Visitor gurus? biggrin_o.gif

WHOO HOOO!!!   Wow.. it looks fantastic!!!  You have no idea how long I've been hoping someone would make a good Osa class missile corvette as it is one of the most widely used missile corvettes in the world and a very powerful little ship (not to mention very cool looking).  

Thank you so much for your hard work!!!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Yes, it's powerful if your navy has no or mininal defenses against a heafty sized anti-ship missile attack.  Although they were a good terror weapon back then used by the Iraqi's and Iranians against commerical shipping when it suited their political interests.  

Unless these missile boats use something like SS-N-22 Sunburn anti-ship missiles, most any well equipped heavy armed guided missile frigate, destroyer, or cruiser could easily detect, track, and destroy 4 Styx or Silkworm missiles and still have time to take 3 drinks of their cup of coffee.

No problem, bro. Always glad to help promote and include naval warfare in OFP.

I was thinking about the ships and ofp engine and i was thinking can't you sort of add not flares for boats but IR warning sounds system when the ship detects enemy missile being targeted at it? And also some alert sounds for when its dammaged? Its a small thing but it could really help making a naval battle even more a special experience. Doesn't all ships carry radars and stuff? So it should be possible to see incoming enemies and alert the crew and yourself when you get targeted or something by enemies tounge2.gif off to sleep soon but i hope you will consider my ideas Gnat.

Quote[/b] ]hmmmmm ........ maybe not a lost cause afterall from what you are all saying.

BUT, I gotta finish some normal ships first otherwise I'll end up with ANOTHER half finished project.

So whats the last, best Download link to the kuznetsov?

UNN, if you know whats missing from the kuznetsov model (vs the Nimitz) I'll looking into updating the model so it works also.

Cheers Gnat,

I think it only needs some gemoetry and roadways adding to each section. The only problem I can think of is if each section is greater than O2 50m (O2 Object size restriction?). If it is, rather than trying to remodel it, we could make some additional, invisible objects to just serve as collision detection and roadway objects. In other words the hull can remain as one sigle object, with the invisible geo and roadway lod objects positioned using scripts.

Quote[/b] ]So whats the last, best Download link to the kuznetsov?

Yeah, I'm not sure I have the latest version. BTW worry to much about time, I'm waiting out for Armed Assault, to see if the new commands will help reduce the amount of scripting required.

Quote[/b] ]Execuse me if it's reinventing the wheel but have anybody tried to build up a carrier as an island? I've never made an island so I may be wrong but ther may be a way to do this with "invisible" ground textures and objects and it could save a lot of scripting work, could  solve the "cannot walk on an object" problem and many others, what say?

I think the best you could do is add the carrier objects to the map as buildings. And configure OFP's runways to work at the correct height. But you would still need geometry e.t.c Aircraft carriers offer a perfect second runway in OFP, so if your after more than one working runway, it's ideal. BTW walking around should not be a problem with static objects, I think the nimitz has some holes in in it sad_o.gif

there is a pic that i work on the ship texture

kuznet4.jpg

need addonmakers for modelwork inside the ship and tower

Certanly looks good (can't wait to use the anti-motership missiles from the Stargate mod and the scud missiles from varios addons against them).

there is a pic that i work on the ship texture

need addonmakers for modelwork inside the ship and tower

Eddy, are you redoing the textures again ?

Cuz I just spent all day re-doing the Geometry (chopping into 50meter sections) and adding Landing and Auto Construct scipts crazy_o.gif

Personally I'm not interested in the inside of the ship, no one uses that part in OFP. Plus there are always problems falling off stairs etc (just like the Nimitz)

I have the ROADWAY geometry working and I have been adding Line Arrestor and Catapult scripts.

What sort of defence systems does the kuznetsov have?

I might copy the Nimitz systems.

Eddy, let me know when you are finished with the External Textures and I then make a BETA for release from that.

BTW, the 3D models for the kuznetsov was full of problems, for a start it had 3 whole MIGs (CY-??) hidden away in a resolution LOD as well as a 2nd Tower hidden away! Also got rid of some VERY large un-used textures.

A decent looking ship with an interior is feasible - to an extent the Mapfact oil tanker acheived a decent interior without much if any falling through floors or walls, as well as opening doors. Pretty much anything can be done if you want (flushing toilet on the DC-3), although for a vessel as big as the Kuznetsov or the Nimitz, it is rather impractical and time-consuming as you point out. Would be nice if someone did a detailed frigate or corvette though wink_o.gif.

eddyD,

one tiny thing...

i see you didn't corrected landing deck... just make it sharp and it will be completele flat... i done this to Kuznetsov and now it looks better... (i mean landing deck)

nice textures, keep it up!

[APS]Gnat,

check out those links

Certanly looks good (can't wait to use the anti-motership missiles from the Stargate mod and the scud missiles from varios addons against them).

Cannot wait to do some high speed strafing runs with fighter jets!

Looking really good!

Quote[/b] ]A decent looking ship with an interior is feasible - to an extent the Mapfact oil tanker acheived a decent interior without much if any falling through floors or walls, as well as opening doors.

It's a nightmare, trying to get up top, on the Nimitz. Nice view when your there though. Even a simple ladder, like the tower blocks on Nogova would be enough.

I personally see no need to walk around the interior of ships. Aircraft carriers are for me to land and take off on, that's all. Other ships are for me to land helos on or fight with.

Quote[/b] ]I personally see no need to walk around the interior of ships. Aircraft carriers are for me to land and take off on, that's all. Other ships are for me to land helos on or fight with.

But what better placeway to give access to the ships systems, Radar, dialogs for flight plans, deck lifts and getting on and off the carrier using small boats e.t.c <Please Insert correct military phrases here>

I found some stealth looking ships east side.

Chinese build

Type 054

Site

Its already in OFP via the VME mod ........ except its nothing more than a target.

It doesnt move, the weapons arent enabled and 9 out of 10 times the rear deck is useless as the GEO LOD breaks the OFP engine length limit. (between 50-64 meters).

But ... It does have lovely textures that I wish I could emulate.

054.jpg

Totally agree with Hellfish, although I am looking at adding 2 functioning lifts to the kuznetsov simply because it probably easy in this case (vs the Nimitz). And maybe a simple bridge accessed by ladder as suggested.

As for moving from one boat to another, I have already in place a solution for this, a simple "Boarding" point and script alongside a vessel. Only works if you belong to the same side.

I also have working scripts for internally jumping around from position to position, ie cargo to driver to gunner etc.

For mobile ships it's pointless, unless something comes up in the new game engine.

For the likes of the Kuznetsov, any internal location, that can act is an control room. Would be great.

Grab the latest VME pack, type VME in the Search field at OFP.Info.

well searching for something you need to know not only word combinations, but the direction where it can be...

as we all know VME mod was released several times, this means it's in Addons & Mods: Complete direction, select it and start searching...

besides you could try to search in Addons & Mods: Complete direction too...

just good luck man! rofl.gif

read a little closer. my question was where it was under in ofp.

I found it in objects

oh, sorry, i thought you can't find a topic with download links in this forum... huh.gif