Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

OFP Navy

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:DarkRed'>HEADLINE: Russians Spys caught on Naval Base</span></span>

Film found after detention;

Frigate_1.jpg

Frigate_2.jpg

So what are the plans then?

Well, I think its time OFP:R (and maybe ArmA smile_o.gif ) got itself a proper Navy for both side.

Above is the first one off the slips ... about 90% complete.

These will not be fancy ships with beautiful cabins and bridges, and unnessisary extras like hand rails. These will be ships well armed, suitable for AI and meant for big 25kmx25km 5% land only type "islands" (yes, thats 80% complete) so you can plan strategic battles and even throw them into CTI's.

Plans are for one of each "type" per side. ie 2 Frigates, 2 Destroyers, 2 Patrol boats, 2 troop carriers, 2 support (repair) vessels etc etc

Yes, there are problems with large ships and the 64meter limit etc ..... but they can be avoided and I use workarounds.

Both a size and a weapons workaround is in place on this deadly Frigate, this unit is 120 meters long and carries 2 side mounted CIWS's, 1 AA and AT missile launcher and a 127mm bow cannon, all in working order for both Humans and AI.

These are generally of a fictional profile but can look similar to in-service ships. Two reasons, not enough meshs available for free and those that are, are too polly heavy. These ships are low polly for many reasons, the main being good viewdistance for navy warfare.

Frigate_3.jpg

Frigate_4.jpg

Given time .... all things are possible smile_o.gif

Oh Gnat you genious!  yay.gif  yay.gif

This is exactly what OFP needs! biggrin_o.gif

What kind of ship is it. I think it shall be an american? I can not identify this ship class. Or is it just an fantasy ship?

EDIT: Oh sorry just forget to read the last sentence crazy_o.gifwhistle.gif

Sounds like we might have a need for ASMs soon. smile_o.gif

What kind of ship is it. I think it shall be an american? I can not identify this ship class. Or is it just an fantasy ship?

EDIT: Oh sorry just forget to read the last sentence  crazy_o.gifwhistle.gif

Gnat said it's about time each side has it's own navy, so I'll take a guess at American and Russian. I'm not too hot on ship classes though so I couldn't tell you if it's real or not.

EDIT: You just edited while I was quoting you. tounge2.gif

I don't think its an american ship problery european, it looks a little like a modified Oliver H. Perry(US) class Frigat.

STGN

1. Yes, this good idea but please make proper models not fictional

2. This ship looks like mix of Oliver Hazard Perry and Ticonderoga class sad_o.gif

3. My ideas :

- first fix size of USS Nimitz and Tarawa

- make US ships such a Oliver Hazard Perry, Ticonderoga and Srlrigh Burke class

p.s I have some paper models in pdf format that can be useful for your project

I think it's a good idea making some ships for Good Old OFP.

But I can't really imagine "strategic battles" with naval vessels in OFP...

There are too many restrictions...

Anyway, I'm curious what you will make of it.

And yes, please make real ships' models.

I hope the ships will be scripted to be able to serve as indirect fire support platforms.

Great idea! I always wanted some naval battles in ofp , had lots of fun with putting pbr's and boats into action on the sea's but it would feel much more great to hear the big guns blazing and rockets light up the skies  pistols.gif

my biggest concern isn't that the ships aren't modeled after real life vessels , its the textures are way to bright and blue.. i hope you can work them out so they feel more ship like  biggrin_o.gif

some thing like this more ,

http://www.socom.mil/Gallery/Navy/BOARDING_ST2_1.jpg

http://www.c7f.navy.mil/images/2001/08/uss%20chancelorville-m.jpg

http://www.navy.gov.au/gallery/ships/images/anz99018-7.jpg

http://www.navy.gov.au/ships/townsville/gallery/images/portbeam.jpg

http://www.museum.navy.ru/memorships/images/ad_gol_4.jpg

well i want something more greyish in the colors, about the ships maybe won't have every antenna or hand rail correctly in place i don't mind,  just one question can i fast rope on to one of the ships with one of the bas blackhawks with some seals  biggrin_o.gif if not , could you consider making static versions of the ships also that could be found in static version -> west frigate 01 or something like that  wink_o.gif  static versions couldn't be driven but could be used for player vs player or player vs a.i capture , defend ship type missions maybe  smile_o.gif

Also love the idea with support ships, anyone of you guys knew that the LST bis big west ship could be used for rearming the choppers? Really good to do Desert strike remake in ofp , if anyone remembers the classic sega genesis , super nintendo chooper sim games inlove.gif

Also love the chopper pads in back of the ships too. Could be nice to rearm , refuel , repair choppers there. Any need for beta tester? I really like this project very much.

Well, it's not that necessary to have every single antenna in its proper place.

But if you want to make US and Rus navies, why invent totally new ship designs when there are so many drawings and pictures on the net?

And btw, I'm sure you're gonna add sharp edges on those ships, he ;-)

I`m sure that Armed Assault will give us the possibility to use bigger ships in a better way than the OFP engine can handle.

One thing is to have nice ships, but if we can`t use them in the porpose of the original, they`re eyecandy. So ships will rise to a higher level of realism when we use them in Armed Assault. smile_o.gif

Don`t hang me if i`m wrong on that. wink_o.gif

Nice work gnat, keep it up. thumbs-up.gif I dream of a real navy for Armed Assault.

Great idea! I always wanted some naval battles in ofp , had lots of fun with putting pbr's and boats into action on the sea's but it would feel much more great to hear the big guns blazing and rockets light up the skies  pistols.gif

my biggest concern isn't that the ships aren't modeled after real life vessels , its the textures are way to bright and blue.. i hope you can work them out so they feel more ship like  biggrin_o.gif

err...that ship is mostly untextured.

err...that ship is mostly untextured.

err... that ship is wip (work in progress) 90% done, or in other words, a BETA.

On the Armed Assault thing, I'm hopeful too about the ship stuff. Who knows, if they've altered the engine (which they have), can't they have changed the object size limit?

Also, they added waves, and kept the boats, so sea faring in Armed Assault is bound to be improved. yay.gif

Well, I have permission to use (liberally) a Type45 DDG model and a Arliegh Burke DDG (flight I and flight II) model, so if this effort wants to consolidate resources and get a huge consenus ship pack released then I will gladly volunteer to donate these models to whoever.

On one condition, as long as I get to keep the MLOD version of the finished product (private use only) of my donated models and that the public version addon of my donated models be in ODOL format and not forced to be bundled because it used one big .cpp config file for all the ships.  

However weapon, ammo, and missile content with configs being seperate for universal use is fine, since it would consolidate efforts and provide addon makers an easier way to create ships and get them published.

Here's the Type45 DDG

type45scsmall9rg.jpg

I don't have the picture of the Burke's two different models unfortunately (I and II)

However, here's something brewing I made that's still WIP...

Harpoon SSM

AGM version

agm84dscsmall6fg.jpg

RGM/UGM version

rgm84scsmall0ii.jpg

It's no ACES model but its not bad for my first go at it for modeling missiles.

BTW, does anyone know how to find documentation about what the weapon colored stripes stand for on missiles?

Anyways, I don't think the OFP seas will ever be peaceful again if these ships come out right..  tounge2.gif

Later,

Havoc.

as long as I get to keep the MLOD version of the finished product (private use only) of my donated models and that the public version addon of my donated models be in ODOL format

Thanks Havoc, but these will be all MLOD format.

Apart from that its probably too many poly's in it for my liking at this stage.

Quote[/b] ]Well, it's not that necessary to have every single antenna in its proper place.

Agree, you won't see them in your plane as it blows you out of the sky at 1000 meters smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]But if you want to make US and Rus navies, why invent totally new ship designs when there are so many drawings and pictures on the net?

Yeh, I found many but the drawings are generally very small and usually only a side profile, I need a bit more than that to model a ship. I even bought >$100 worth of (hard to find) good books on MODERN ships, even with these its still a push. BLUEPRINTS are really what I need and a couple of good quality HULL and WALL textures wouldnt go astray either.

Quote[/b] ]could you consider making static versions of the ships

That means high detail Geo's, rooms and floors and stairs and engine rooms and ........... nar ..... not going to happen sorry smile_o.gif

If you want ship plans, there's a guy on ebay selling many, many examples for $14.99 a pop. Here's the guy's ebay Shop. I think I saw an Arleigh Burke in there somewhere...

I dunno if u'd be interested, but im pretty sure that there's blueprints for the USS Missouri on its site, because ive looked at them before. I know ur probly only making modern stuff, but it would be awesome to have that beast cruisin the waters of 1985 and Desert Storm, although i doubt it could be used in Nam missions. Still, would be awesome.Schematics of USS Missouri

Wow, awesome schematics, ConfuciusOFP; I've been wondering for a while now where the famed "Flag Plot" was in the Iowa Class. Have to say I like some of their layouts; Captain's Cabin right next to the 20mm Magazines; Admiral's Pantry, Admiral's Bath! Jeez, there's a war on for Gawd's sake!

Lol, maybe there's someone crazy enough to actually model one of these with a full interior smile_o.gif. The Ultimate Eye Candy.

but im pretty sure that there's blueprints for the USS Missouri on its site

HOLY CR@P! .... now thats a blueprint !

Unless to me smile_o.gif , but impressive just the same.

Quote[/b] ]is this mod stil alive?

Looks awful dead .... and looks like they sank taking the models with them .... shame.

Awfully one sided too .... generally just a couple of russian subs as enmy.

Guest major gandhi

@havocsquad, does the ship really have only 1500 faces? That sounds like it's not that detailed. Is it possible to walk on the deck/land on the flight deck?

Short, simple and sweet.  These models were created for a modern naval strategy sim, not for a high detail first person shooter.  The model is fine by itself, but what it really needs for OFP is a conn and better textures.