Sign in to follow this  
Heatseeker

Arma openGL support?

I and many people here have experienced D3D not available or out of memory errors with OPF, it seems like a comon thing with older and unsuported D3D games not working on current PC's. It sucks.

Recently i found a old game under the bed and decided to install it to play with it a bit (Hitman 2). It would run but sometimes the graphics would mess up and the game would crash. The solution i found was simple, open the games ini file and make it run in openGL, problem fixed smile_o.gif .

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">DrawDll RenderopenGL.dll

Im not very knowledgeable in this area but i feel that OPF would be more "reliable" if it would run in opengl too, there really are alot of D3D related problems in the troubleshooting forum. I think ARMA would also be more reliable and ensure a trouble free longer life span if it supported openGL.

Thoughts? smile_o.gif .

Nice idea, but don't see it happening (at least in this title). I'm sure with what has been done to the engine that memory and graphical issues should be mostly solved. Re-Writing the engine(again) to incorperate OpenGL is crazy and maybe wait until Game2/3 to add it if need be. wink_o.gif

Who knows DX10/11 might be out by then and running smoothly( rofl.gif ). Seriously though all it may have needed(OFP) is a re-write of the engine to make things cleaner. Lets see how ArmA goes and then we can make suggestions for the next release.

Just my 2cents smile_o.gif

Yes but openGL games seem to suffer from less compatbility issues when new HW comes out, i remember a long time ago when people started posting about D3D crashes and problems, when the ati 9700 came out, when the FX series came out and now all the problems with the GF6 series.

I think ARMA's longevity would be best assured if the game supported openGL, especialy considering how fast HW is progressing and new products are coming out.

ARMA will be OPF's last incarnation so to speak and i would like to be able to run it properly for a very long time and not run into problems with future HW smile_o.gif .

You know that Microsoft are planing to drop OpenGL when Vista comes, right? Well they are gone have it as a layer on Direct3D though, but it is said it's preformence might reduce 50% if that happens.

So how much point is it to have OpenGL then? confused_o.gif

You know that Microsoft are planing to drop OpenGL when Vista comes, right? Well they are gone have it as a layer on Direct3D though, but it is said it's preformence might reduce 50% if that happens.

So how much point is it to have OpenGL then? confused_o.gif

this is not exactly true ... when game runs in fullscreen this scenario don't apply ...

it happens only if You run OpenGL game in windowed mode and in same time Vista Direct3D features are in place (desktop/windows etc effects) ...

if You turn them off ... GPU OpenGL driver will be used directly again ...

wrapper is just to avoid Ogl to colide with D3D ...

so for now i don't see OpenGL dead ...

The one thing dont like about Open GL, is the fact that its easier to make graphic cheats ( I hope that it is called that ).

I remember alot of the other FPS games I have played with OpenGL had cheats that used it to change the colors of players so they were easier to see. Not saying that it is easier to do cuz i honestly dont know, I just remember that cheats were a big problem when OpenGL was used.

If Im wrong I apologize.

The one thing  dont like about Open GL, is the fact that its easier to make graphic cheats ( I hope that it is called that ).

I remember alot of the other FPS games I have played with OpenGL had cheats that used it to change the colors of players so they were easier to see. Not saying that it is easier to do cuz i honestly dont know, I just remember that cheats were a big problem when OpenGL was used.

If Im wrong I apologize.

it's same easy to do cheats on D3D ... so this is just Your feeling ...

The one thing  dont like about Open GL, is the fact that its easier to make graphic cheats ( I hope that it is called that ).

If Im wrong I apologize.

I think this has more to do with many popular online FPS games using opengl than opengl itself.

i remember i cant alt+tab right with 90% of the opengl games so fuck it, a client version for linux is not gonna be released either.

My point was about ensuring longer compatbility, longevity and avoiding all the problems people experienced when OPF started to become troublesome with newest HW and stuff.

Because its better to have the option to run the game in openGL even if unable to alt-tab than to be stuck with D3D and not being able to play the game properly at all..

It's much much easier to make task switching ("alt-tabbing") to work when using OpenGL than when using Direct3D.

i'd like OFP/AA/G2 games all to be written in OpenGL, if only because it is a cross-platform open standard.

regardless of whether BIS are good enough to release a Linux client, an OpenGL renderer would make running it in Wine much less problematic.

I really would like to see a linux client. But without opengl, there is no chance...  sad_o.gif

Likewise I would like to see a linux client and opengl would be central to this, but it is unlikely to happen with ARMA.

Perhaps we can persuade BI to make a linux client for Game 2. Although few developers would even think of linux a year ago by the time Game 2 arrives they won't be able to ignore it. Two thirds of the gamers I know, and that is a lot, are already using linux. Most only use Windows for games and the rest don't even have it installed, preferring emulation where available.

Likewise I would like to see a linux client and opengl would be central to this, but it is unlikely to happen with ARMA.

Perhaps we can persuade BI to make a linux client for Game 2. Although few developers would even think of linux a year ago by the time Game 2 arrives they won't be able to ignore it. Two thirds of the gamers I know, and that is a lot, are already using linux. Most only use Windows for games and the rest don't even have it installed, preferring emulation where available.

Will second that! smile_o.gif

Althought topic is a bit old. wink_o.gif

So what you saying... The gamers you know only use windows for games... well, that makes sence smile_o.gif