Sign in to follow this  
honchoblack

DMA LIBYA

No, but the enemy sees the helicopter and reacts to it. It might not give away YOUR position, but it surely alerts the enemy to a hostile presense.

Quote[/b] ]I could probably edit the scripts a bit, I bet there's something in there that sets the bad guys to "guard" or "s&d" when they spawn.

Guard is used very often, so that the AI units will interact when other squads are under attack.  Sometime waypoints are set at the players location, to have the enemy storm his position.  But it seems that the "AI-storm" is too easy to handle, so letting the player search for the bad guys seems to be quite a good idea for cities and villages.

Well, it not necessarily too easy, just too predictable. In fact, there are times when there are so many enemies rushing your squad at once you are simply overwhelmed, particularly when there are 3 or 4 enemy grenadiers spamming your squad with HE.  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]No, but the enemy sees the helicopter and reacts to it. It might not give away YOUR position, but it surely alerts the enemy to a hostile presense.

I thought the same, but after some limited testing, I don't believe this is the case. You can parachute quite far from the objective and you will notice the same enemy behavior when you enter the red mission area circle. However, this is based only on a little playing around with alternate means of insertion (rovers, etc.) and distance from objective.

Hm... I'll test it further. It's entirely possible you are right. I just seem to remember that part of the reason the enemy comes after me is because they've seen the helo. If they hadn't seen the helo, they wouldn't be hunting.

I would not really call an helo insertion a "stealth insertion" when it occurs in a war zone.

But for a lot of the missions, the enemy is actually hunting the player , so even if it is not the case ingame due to view distance or low AI skill/detection values, for me the hunt is motivated by the fact the enemy noticed the helo with their spies and forward observers wink_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]I would not really call an helo insertion a "stealth insertion" when it occurs in a war zone.

Er... pull up a sandbag/ swing the lantern a bit: we put teams into Iraq during GW1 without once coming under fire or observation at the LS (although the opposition did hear one of our landings and moved to investigate - about half an hour after everyone had cleared the area). Two aircraft even stayed rotors stopped/ APUs running for over an hour on the ground while the troops did their thing. Helis CAN be stealthy - I did a press demo on a day when the wind was gusting 30 knots, and the visitors didn't know we'd landed 800 meters away (downwind) 'til the troops we'd dropped popped into their trench.

To change enemy behaviour shouldn't be too difficult. Depending on the mission type, spawn them into groups with different waypoints (eg. instead of move or guard, try stealth). Or run a behaviour script depending on the mission (setcombatmode, etc). Maybe also look at allowfleeing so that they run away more often. Maybe even forcing some units to lie down and disable moving (in cities).

I've driven the WMIKs to an objective and completely caught the enemy with thier pants down, and indeed totally raped them.

I pulled up behind a hill that was between me and my objective town, then with the other WMIK i had taken alongside me, i drove over the crest, parked up, got everyone out but the gunners, and advanced.....however, it wasnt an instant firefight, i had plenty of time to get everyone out because when i looked at the town, the enemy were just wondering around, not apparently aware of the impending doom about to hit them. Of course when i looked at the town and "ID'd" targets, the WMIK gunners opened up with the 50 cals and all hell broke loose. biggrin_o.gif

I think putting some "static" groups of enemies would do a lot for the immersion. One tool that might be useful for you guys to look at would be CoC's AI on Demand. That way, the enemies don't get spawned until you are a set distance from them (so the units on the other side of the map are not a factor until you have a mission that goes over there). The only problem with the AIOD is that once the units are spawned, they stay spawned, so if you flew over a city that had a spawn group, but you didn't engage them (the mission is somewhere else) then they would be an active group. If that happened too many times you'd have lag from a bunch of extra groups running around.

I think crashdome was working on a system that spawned units when nearby but then removed them when you moved away. Maybe he'll can pop in and offer a suggestion.

Perhaps an idea would be to have non mission specific spawn point logics at towns, major road junctions and other landmarks that are active from the start of the game. When entering the area it spawns a random sized patrol in the area.  

Maybe these spawn points when activated could check the current support level to see if they can be activated or not. So for example if the insurgents have low support these non mission specific patrol spawns have a lesser chance of spawning a patrol. This would add to the feeling of accomplishment for the player as the campaign wears on as the the terrorist support level lowers you would notice that traveling through the country side is safer as there are less patrols spawning.

To keep lag down, any patrols spawned that you may have not killed or eliminated would despawn when you return to base and report mission accomplished or abort to the commander. Reporting to the commander would also reset any of the activated random patrol triggers, so in this way they could be activated again.

Mostly though I think it would be important to link the patrol spawn triggers to a support level check to see if they spawn or not upon being triggered.

I hope my idea makes sense, I have trouble explaining ideas through text a lot of times  confused_o.gif

I would not really call an helo insertion a "stealth insertion" when it occurs in a war zone.

But for a lot of the missions, the enemy is actually hunting the player , so even if it is not the case ingame due to view distance or low AI skill/detection values, for me the hunt is motivated by the fact the enemy noticed the helo with their spies and forward observers wink_o.gif.

Ah, I thought the "helo paradrop" was a stand-in for a conventional paradrop and as such would be considered stealthy, especially if conducted at night (less stealthy than an on-foot infiltration, but more than a direct helicopter insertion or truck convoy).

Also, the enemy does not appear to be hunting the player. They appear to be running directly to the player's point of contact with the mission area regardless of method of approach.

It makes a lot of sense. If it's workable, I think it'd be great. Only thing I'd worry about is that the enemy would spawn 5000m in the opposite direction of where I was heading - might make it kind of pointless then, unless you could activate a spawn that was related to the mission by proximity somehow (so that only game logics near the mission logic would have a chance to activate).

In some of the missions, the enemy are heading to the player location at any time.

On the Helo rescue or the Ambush missions of the template, the enemy is going to a defined game logic or object location .

In the Search & Destroy mission of the template, the enemy is moving totally randomly .

We released the template with those different examples of AI movement so when a mission maker will work on it, they will have already 3 example of how to make the AI moving (+ any ideas he can have).

For AI squad anti-lag, we implemented 2 solutions :

-once you are out of the mission zone , every AI will disappear

-once you kill an AI , after a specific amount of time it will disappear.

With those 2 solutions , we can spawn virtually an infinte amount of AI without any kind of lag as you will never have them in the same small area at any time (so the ones away are not existing yet).

This solution is easy to adapt to static defense position without the need of an AI On Demand, as you can adapt to the player distance to this static position to make enemy/allied AI appear and disappear to avoid lag, the actual scripts are not behaving very differently.

Fantastic DMA-stuff as usual notworthy.gif

will you add some sidearm and perhaps a APC in the update? That would be nice! inlove.gif

... and something for those who requested some kind of palace to be placed on the map:

model14ze.jpg

Here's the original...:

tripoli.jpg

Any volunteers to help with textures? tounge2.gif

Three cheers for you AG Smith, exactly the kind of unique building I was longing for as a palace, and that it has a real counterpart makes it even better. thumbs-up.gif

Yes, I saw the flag, and the green books above the entrance after I posted. Excellent choice for a palace style building, and thanks alot for offering an excellent reference picture for the palace grounds. smile_o.gif

update WIP smile_o.gif

mmm...I smell Marines. smile_o.gif

Ag_smith please make it enterable notworthy.gif

That's quite unlikely because I've virtually no resources (ie. photos, textures, etc.) to create belivable interiors. huh.gif

Irongsight, thanks for your offer, I'll contact you within next couple days. smile_o.gif

Ag_smith please make it enterable  notworthy.gif

That's quite unlikely because I've virtually no resources (ie. photos, textures, etc.) to create belivable interiors....

Then please make it so there are ladders/staircases externally, to enable players to gain access to the roof-tops/balconies for some serious sniper-action wink_o.gif

Well, there're some other new city building made for this map, not shown on any pictures here. Most of them have accessible rooftops and balconies, the rest can be accessed from neighbouring rooftops. There'll definitely be plenty of oportunities for snipers here. smile_o.gif

Yes indeed, some delicious additions by Ag Smith will make most of the rooftops in the city accessable. This is one of the main focus of the update, along with adding more variety to the map and cities. wink_o.gif