Sign in to follow this  
sputnik monroe

Equinox and the Solstice

It's generally well known that there is a circle of monolithic stones on Malden. What I'm wondering is if any one knows the time and date to set in the editor to make the sun fall in place with the stones. I tried June 20th and December 20th but no luck. There must be a date in which the sun will fall in place, I mean come on these wacky Spanel brothers and their team of merry coders modeled the tides, constellations, and curvature of the earth, their monolith must serve a purpose.

My theory is that the sun should fall in line with the area highlighted by my crosshair in the following screenshot.

monolithic1pu.jpg

Any one have a clue?

Maybe aligning the sun with the highlighted rock will unlock more features in OFP. notworthy.gif

Or maybe, it will unleash the Dark One upon us. whistle.gif

i did some experimenting, and came up with some stuff:

-- i'm the sun doesn't seem to pass through that point at any date or time...

-- i very much doubt that there is any significance to the stones (other than for decoration), but that's just my guess...

-- they modelled the curvature of the earth?

Are these stones generally known about? And I thought I knew Malden pretty well too! Whats the grid ref of the stones?

Grid Co ordinates are Ef20

Quote[/b] ]they modelled the curvature of the earth?

What I meant was that they have it modeled so that every island when made you set its Latitude and Longitude position on the planet. The game engine takes this into account and you see the constellations and the sun and moon based on how they appear from that position on the planet. Completely separate from the curvature of the earth, so I made a mistake. It's still very impressive.

could you explain me where that is written in the island config, and if possible the right syntax for it, I find it very interesting and impressive smile_o.gif

I had a very brief play a long time ago, and didn't discover anything interesting.

And yes, these stones are very well known but they are in an obscure spot: you don't pass them accidentally very often and for some reason they rarely feature in missions.

I've been playing with it, and if you stand to the South of the stones on the hill at 6:10am on July 11th. The Sun aligns with the Southern most stone.

I've gotta screenie of it, but needs a host/someone to host it.

[ig]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/753/test21zj.jpg[/img]>100kb

Theory:

The circular rock denotes an earlier universal symbol of a compass.

The 3 rocks at the lower right points to the North rock.

Place yourself right in the middle and face the north rock.

You can use the other rocks to use as guides to direct yourself to your next destination.

Or the 'north' could be the space between the two 'north rocks'. (3rd and the 4th rock from the right)

p.s. The screenshot was taken on :1200hours, Jan 1st.

868 please don't hotlink images over 100kb smile_o.gif

Hehehe, If it means something, I hope people discover what it is... If not, I hope Bis does thesame for Armra's new island (or modify Malden) , or Game2, and make it mean something smile_o.gif .

1. Where is this rock formation normally found?

2. what's an important day related to those rocks?

just asking smile_o.gif

868 please don't hotlink images over 100kb smile_o.gif

Sorry. I didn't realize that the 100k rule was enforced throughout the board.

Won't happen again. rofl.gif

So where do I find out the Lat/Lon coordinates of the existing islands. I was kinda curious as to where their real world locations are supposed to be.

So where do I find out the Lat/Lon coordinates of the existing islands. I was kinda curious as to where their real world locations are supposed to be.

There is several threads about the real islands. Just search...

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]There is several threads about the real islands. Just search...

I think he wants to know so he can see where any flashpoint island is based off of. For example where is Trinity? Would interesting to know if it's northern or southern hemisphere for example, though that could be answered by looking at the stars at night.

Why? trying to figure out the Grid Magnetic Angle?

The Lat/Long coords are stored in the island configs.. But I'm not sure where the default island configs are hidden (Config.bin possibly)

- Ben

Just thought of this and I actually tried different nighttime sessions trying to locate familiar star groups, using FDF East Border map. I only regodnized The Milkyway (not hard)... so, how realistic is actually OFP sky? Could you navigate if you knew, about, where you were? Are stars in their correct positions?

Thanks in advance.

Quote[/b] ]Could you navigate if you knew, about, where you were? Are stars in their correct positions?

Yes and yes.

There is one mission in OFP where you actually have to navigate by stars.