Sign in to follow this  
mrn

Dustbowl

Just wanted to share this:

http://rapidshare.de/files/2042547/dustbowlv13.zip.html

Added link:

http://www.ofpec.com/missions/mission_detail.php?ID=1276

An Afghan mission using Middle East rebels and Bas Delta’s.  Lots of effects used, Sandstorm, Vektorbosens chop dust, Wolfsbanes tracers, Keycats grouplink etc. so a reasonably high-spec PC is recommended.

Mapfact Barracks (3.7mb)

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd/unofaddons2/Baracken1_5.zip

ftp://www.gamezone.cz/ofpd/unofaddons2/Baracken1_5.zip

Generic Middle East Rebels (3.6mb)

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd/unofaddons2/jjr_updated_rebels_v11.rar

ftp://www.gamezone.cz/ofpd/unofaddons2/jjr_updated_rebels_v11.rar

BAS Delta/Ranger v1.55 (15.2mb or 2.35mb for patch)

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd/unofaddons2/bas_dera_v1_55.rar

ftp://www.gamezone.cz/ofpd/unofaddons2/bas_dera_v1_55.rar

or the patch for people who have version 1.5

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd/unofaddons2/bas_dera_v1_55_patch.rar

ftp://www.gamezone.cz/ofpd/unofaddons2/bas_dera_v1_55_patch.rar

Bas MH60 (22.8mb)

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd....AM1.zip

BAS Tonal island + OPFOR (115mb)

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd/islands2/bas_isleopfor1.2.rar

Updated CAT Afghanistan Island (17mb)

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd/islands2/CAT_Afghanistan_Revisited.rar

ftp://www.gamezone.cz/ofpd/islands2/CAT_Afghanistan_Revisited.rar

Can be played on Hi-res version but some object positions will be slighly out.

Editor Update 102 (80kb)

http://www.ofpec.com/includes/download2.php?id=276

Has been Beta-tested at the OFPEC boards so should be fairly bug-free but I make no guarantees.  :;):

Enjoy

good job on the mission MrN smile_o.gif

i like the atmosphere you are creating with the different effects, in this case i dont even mind the fog (which i normaly dont like) it fits well into the situation and adds to the atmosphere

the intro is short and nice, the briefing is good, i like the idea of different extraction possibilities, the mission itself plays tense and i had good fun trying to solve it (i didnt make it through yet, those Rebells keep sneaking up on me)

but i will make my way through the mission eventually, i got the needed addons in modfolders, so you share a desktoplink with the just released and very good mission "Black Mamba", these two mission fit well together even if they occur in different countries wink_o.gif

Why didn't use the new LSR Rangers/Delta soldiers?

Because at the time I started this, I hadn't downloaded the newer (admittedly very good) Laser addons.

My general feeling is there's a lot more people with the BAS addons than Lasers' but I may consider converting it.

Thanks Honcho. smile_o.gif

hah! finally it pays off to have 10gig addons in my ofp, no need to download anything but the mission. yay biggrin_o.gif

i´ll definatly have a look at this, looking forward to see the eff3ects and grouplink in action.

making my own grouplink mission atm so i´ll maybe steal some of your ideas aswell tounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

That mission just kept kicking my ass. I'm gonna try again today, but man... it's like, when I took down a couple of them, a whole bunch would come down on my position. Is that cause of the group link scripts? By the way, you did a really good job on the atmosphere! The sandstorm, etc, they really help the atmosphere!

But, a little bug, if it is a bug: When I landed with the parachute, a squadmember would be wounded upon landing. Happened two times.

... it's like, when I took down a couple of them, a whole bunch would come down on my position. Is that cause of the group link scripts?

yep, that´s exactly what group link does, kicking ass!

be glad that he hasn´t included mortar & helo support for the ai biggrin_o.gif

also got my butt kicked after rather short time,

as said before the fx add alot to the atmospohere, great job.

hah! finally it pays off to have 10gig addons in my ofp, no need to download anything but the mission. yay  biggrin_o.gif

Hahah, I got 6gb, but also didn't need to DL anything biggrin_o.gif.  

I will try the mission sometime today and try & report back smile_o.gif.

EDIT: Ok, I tried out the mission.  I tried going up & around from the north, and got the militia leader easily.  But the second he gets killed I feel like I have all of hell raining down on me tounge_o.gif.  2 Urals w/ troops show up + at least 2 squads of ground units.  I'm usually able to RPG the trucks (stole an RPG from dead tango), but I am cut down by ground units because I have to stand up to fire the RPG.  I'm going to keep trying this one and I will report back when I finish it smile_o.gif.

On a second note,  the dust script you have is fantastic.  It adds a ton of atmosphere to the mission.  However, I found that if you put NVG's on you can see like 50 more feet than if you didn't have them on.  Just a tip if anyone is having trouble smile_o.gif.

EDIT #2: I beat it. Great mission man! I suffered 3 casualties, all from one hand grenade sad_o.gif. I forgot to retrieve the black box though mad_o.gif. Very nice mission indeed smile_o.gif.

A small bug:

Every now and then one of my squadmembers decides to go "support" something in the middle of the enemy village. (I'm guessing it's the pilot who is wounded and keeps asking for support all the time, and since my men are all "medics", they might get the idea to run off and heal him.)

Since I can't tell him to "not" support him, the only thing I can do is watch him run off, kill a few tangos, and die without me being able to do anything about it. Dashing off after him usually only results in getting me, him, the pilot and half of my squad killed. (Just in time to get an updated retry).

Please do something about this, I would love to play this mission through. unclesam.gif

played it last night, and the ambience is quite good, lovely sandstorm (but the rain was a bit out of context).

I played it once and finished it at first try, with no casualties on my side...but i wont disclose my strategy....muahahha!

i called the Hummer Evac but they got wasted quite far to the South as i heard distant RPG fire, only 1 Hummer made it to my pos, so i had to call the Blackhawk Evac while i dispatched the enemies that came running after the stray Humvee.

found no bugs whatsoever, excellent mission.

P.S: i did forget to pick up the black box tounge_o.gif

Im having some trouble getting it to work, I have all the addons, might be wrong version though.

Phew, that’s a relief. smile_o.gif I was expecting a lot more,“why didn’t you use Lasers’ units?†questions!

Thanks for playing and for the comments.

@Nemesis

The parachute drop caused me a lot of grief. I couldn’t make it too close otherwise you’re detected and you know what happens when that kicks off. The downside of this is you will occasionally have a wounded teammate to deal with. At least you’re all medics. wink_o.gif

The grouplink script really does kick ass, and kick my ass! The icing on the cake seems to be General Barrons infoshare script, it really ramps up the AI.

@Bunkerslusken

Yup, happens to me to if I put the units to Engage at will, I don’t know how to stop this so I just put them in stealth.

@hooahman

thx smile_o.gif

@Bonko the Sane

Agreed about the rain but it seems to obscure the AI more effectively than just fog. It doesn’t rain much but it adds a separate ambience to fog. Nice one if you finished it on your first try, takes me ages!

@Victor_S.

Are you getting any errors messages?

@Mr Burns

Finished it yet? wink_o.gif

“making my own grouplink mission atm so i´ll maybe steal some of your ideas aswell “

Go for it smile_o.gif

I’m tempted to do a quick tweak and make the blackbox a requirement of getting picked up. I’ll see if there are any more comments about it.

I got a question, by the way: Are the enemies createVehicle/camcreate(can't remember which)'d? Cause they just seemed to keep on coming, and there were always lots of them!

Oh, by the way, I'm flattered that you used my fireplace scripts! :-)

Quote[/b] ]Are the enemies createVehicle/camcreate(can't remember which)'d?

Nope, just lots of them  smile_o.gif

Nice little script, stumbled across it on OFPEC.

Another question: The mission keeps kicking my ass. I've tried approaching from the left of the village, and from the front. It just doesn't work. I get my ass kicked every time. It's like they're just everywhere once you've validated your presence.

that´s because it is like that.

enemy groups start estimating their chance of survival when they spot you. most of the time they start calling for backup (can be defined in script). so basically when you get spotted you´ll have about 2-3 squads that roughly know where you are hunting you down.

the fog and storm sure makes it harder to evade them but if you keep moving it sould be possible to win..

Yep, it is definately not impossible to beat, as I have done it smile_o.gif. I by no means (read: at all tounge_o.gif) am a great player and I died at least 10-15 times before beating it. Just keep at it and you will beat it eventually wink_o.gif.

MrN, is there any chance for a co-op version of this map smile_o.gif? Would be great to play with the squad.

Quote[/b] ]MrN, is there any chance for a co-op version of this map ?  Would be great to play with the squad.

Funnily enough it started as a coop:

http://rapidshare.de/files/1596331/co9__dustbowl.CATIntro.zip.html

This is the original I posted at OFPEC, it is massively different to the SP version I first put here but is fully functional.

Most of the core of the mission may well still be compatible with MP. I've just loaded it in MP and it should work ok as long as someone is the leader and you play in Vet because the waypoints are shabby for Cadet. It is untested on a dedicated server though.

Let me know if you try it and if you get any errors. I'll try and sort it.

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The mission keeps kicking my ass.

biggrin_o.gif

Sorry mate. No clues from me. wink_o.gif

i love this mission

theres certainly good emerging mission makers out there

it was medium hardness for me

sensitivity of my units are at 2.5

wink_o.gif

Thanks ruff

Additional download link added on first post.

Looks like a beta road test paid off Mr N smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Looks like a beta road test paid off Mr N

Indeed.  smile_o.gif

Just out of curiousity have you played the "Final" version?

Mr N, I presume that the link on the first page to OFPEC is the "final" version?

I shouldn't really of had to have had a reason to download CATS Afghanistan, but this mission is incentive enough.

Will play tonight!

Quote[/b] ]"final"

As final as these things get.  wink_o.gif

I could fiddle and tweek for ages but unless there's any showstoppers I'm leaving it be.