Sign in to follow this  
Waterman

Skye Island

It may well do but not quite to the same height... wink_o.gif

Does anyone have any suggestions how to reduce screen lag other than via options in game. By placing tree's infront of an area thats lagging will it 'hide' it, or just add to the lag? Also does creating small hills as a barrier help reduce the screen lag?

At the moment, I get between 10 - 60 fps depending on where I look. I probably mentioned it before but the grass takes off about 20 - 40 fps, so I might have to make a version without it for CTI purposes etc...

Yea i suggest a 'light' and 'heavy' version. The heavy being what you have at the moment and the 'light' version having little or no grass.

Could you possibly just remove big unneeded and rarely to be seen areas of grass? and maybe remove quiet a lot of grass from areas that need it but still keep the same effect, as in once you delete a few grass objects spread the rest out a bit to try and keep the same effect.

The thing is its in big 'blocks' or squares the same dimensions as forest sections. It looks kinda ugly if you got a straight edge of grass then bare ground beside it. Also on Skye there are lots of valley's but also open spaces so, you have to do most if not all of it to keep the effect.

Quote[/b] ]Does anyone have any suggestions how to reduce screen lag other than via options in game. By placing tree's infront of an area thats lagging will it 'hide' it, or just add to the lag? Also does creating small hills as a barrier help reduce the screen lag?

i'm pretty sure island lag is created by the number of objects that have to be drawn. the only way to fix your problem, therefore, would be to reduce the number of objects in certain areas where you experience heavy lag. this is just a guess though, as i don't know when/where you are getting the lag.

I believe putting large objects in the way of certain areas may help. I think Agent Smith once said that even putting high poly large objects in a large city that it can help the fps.

whether or not you can see it doesnt matter, if its so close to you, yet you cant see over a building between you & it, i'm fairly sure it's still drawn. thus, adding to the lag

Well, when the FPS hit rock bottom, why does OFP speed up a little bit if you look directly down at the ground?

Well, when the FPS hit rock bottom, why does OFP speed up a little bit if you look directly down at the ground?

Because there is a difference between occlusion and frustum culling.

Frustum culling is much faster, as it just checks bounding spheres, whereas occlusion culling has to take the geometry of the occluded and the occluding object. Someone also wrote, that the terrain does not cull objects away, therefore objects behind hills are always drawn. Someone perhaps correct me on this one.

Thanks for the info, but I dont think it'll help much... Im trying to make a detailed town, but if its all down to the number of objects then there's not much I can do. Because of the size of the grass squares, there's always going to be a large number of objects to be drawn. I guess I could try making the squares of grass cover a larger area? or would that make any difference as there would be the same number of poly's but less objects if you know what I mean?

Waterman.

Quote[/b] ]Someone also wrote, that the terrain does not cull objects away, therefore objects behind hills are always drawn. Someone perhaps correct me on this one.

this is true if your grafic card/driver doesnt support the W-buffer (most uptodate grafic cards dont, the W-buffer has been substituted for the Z-buffer, which fullfills the same purpose, to skip drawing of the not seen by player enviroment/models, but which is unfortunatly not supported by OFP)

Quote[/b] ]I guess I could try making the squares of grass cover a larger area? or would that make any difference as there would be the same number of poly's but less objects if you know what I mean?

i think its always better to pull many objects together to one single object, since OFP seems to handle those "big" objects much less resource demanding (its the same of pulling many trees together to forest objects, instead of placing them one by one), strangly the same goes for work in the mission editor, pulling individuals together to groups is less resource demanding than placing them as individuals (OFP seems to handle groups/big objects different)

these have been mere observations, doesnt have to be the ultimate truth wink_o.gif

It may well do but not quite to the same height... wink_o.gif

Why not the same height? That's what makes sense giving the island it's name, Skye... that mountain is definitely sky-high! smile_o.gif

OK, just been messing about with the grass again. This time I've used more 'lush' looking grass textures. I dunno if it looks right, so tell me what you think.

Pic1

Pic2

Waterman. smile_o.gif

it looks nice, but, why would all of those people live there if they have no place to work =), ie, a factory, or something

Hi Waterman,

We just started playing crCTI on your great Skye 3.0 and it is a bit heavy for CTI games (players get very low framerates).

Is it possible for you to release your previous Skye islands and add a version number so people can have different Skye versions installed ? (e.g. skye20, skye30 etc.)

Right now i have Skye 3.0 on my web site (cr-ofp.dyndns.org).

You can add/upload your stuff there if u register.

waterman... i'd suggest making your own grass (its only a few double faces in O2 with a grass texture applied) and then carefully edit the view LOD's to keep it less laggy...

for instance if you're 5 away from the grass, its high detailed, but because you're so close you have a smaller area of grass to look at, so the other stuff wont be drawn... the further away you are, and the more grass you can see, the less detailed the LOD should be...

in the long run, its easier and better to make it youself

Why don't you rename this one to something else so we can still have the "old" skye. I've got WW2 RTS-3 and Modern RTS-3 running well on v1.2 Skye without too many lag issues, but a lot of new objects might cause issues.

I hope it works out, though, cause it looks great! Just don't overcrowd it with obstructions, though. Normandy, for example looks great, but there's almost too many obstructions to get clear shots from far off.

This Island

+Hardrocks eurofighter

+Multiplayer train

these are my top 3 addons im waitiing for!

Any plans for a small railway on the island?rock.gif

Also what tool are you useing to make it?

Apologies for dredging up an old topic, but this was an island which looked really appealing oh so long ago. Are you still working on it, Waterman? I sincerely hope so...

Cops and robbers where the best on that island

Edit/ Grass looks real... lol

Edit// That is real grass ? right ?

Hi all

Watermans given me permisson to finish the island of for him

Atm.. the roads needing fixing DONE!

A few deatails added to the citys 70%

Upgrade of the military locations of the island 80%

And a few other bits and pieces

Trying to make this island follow a scottish/english country theme

If you would like to add any suggestions that could be added to the map please post and tell me!

Also im looking for BETA testers so if you wanna help mail me at Luke.steel@btinternet.com

Thx

Lukemax

(Screenshots comeing soon)