Sign in to follow this  
Balschoiw

Use a satellite and zoom in

Just found this one:

Google satellite images

You are able to zoom in at a very good level of detail. Europe seems to be not supported on indepth images.

Here are some quick shots I made.

White House:

Satwhitehouse.jpg

Pentagon:

Satpentagon.jpg

Well, would be great if they had at least put up the cheap Landsat images for Europe. At least some zooming in would have been possible then.

As it is a pretty new feature I guess they will go for indepth images of europe also. It´s about money, advertising or getting to the nearest pizza hut, so I´m pretty sure the database will be extended.

Quote[/b] ]How do I get the pictures?

Check for the address of the thing you want to inspect, zoom in and make a screenshot with Fraps or GrabClipSave and edit it with PS or any other graphic program.

Quote[/b] ]Well, would be great if they had at least put up the cheap Landsat images for Europe.

Daddly do you have an online resource for such images ?

I managed to find some Geosat images from the Bayerisches Vermessungsamt to have a quick look at my home from space but the quality wasn´t that good.

Where I live :

bahome.jpg

nasas "world wind" is also worthy of checking out..

Bals, Landsat is much worse than what you showed (30m ground resolution with 180km x 180km coverage per image) - but at least you can see major landscape features like big roads, towns, houses, etc.

wink_o.gif

nasas "world wind" is also worthy of checking out..

Yeah, in my opinion world wind is probably better..

Quote[/b] ]Well, would be great if they had at least put up the cheap Landsat images for Europe.

Daddly do you have an online resource for such images ?

I managed to find some Geosat images from the Bayerisches Vermessungsamt to have a quick look at my home from space but the quality wasn´t that good.

Where I live :

http://www.ciahome.net/images/cookbook/bahome.jpg

NRW´s Vermessungsamt has a pretty good page too, i already made a 14 mb pic of my city biggrin_o.gif

small sample (red dot - where i live, blue dot - my car):

buhome.jpg

terraserver.microsoft.com

NASA has a program called worldview that is pretty cool also. It is a 3d globe with elevations.

Area 51?

I found the world's biggest baseball field... Check South America, Argentine, Negro river (above Valdes peninsula). "Near" the lake Negro ends (2 lakes), there's a smaller lake, above them. Green-blue, looks like a banana. Above it, there's a white spot (high hill?). There, you might see few lines. Looks just like some sport field...

What state is this lake in?'

Google is "the all seeing eye"

Hide your UFO, Bush. tounge_o.gif

Cr611982.jpg

I want hi-res!!  biggrin_o.gif

With this play, I'm going to take the Browns to the Super Bowl!

VNY13269.jpgbiggrin_o.gif

What state is this lake in?

Nevada. BlackScorpion was right, but I wanted to admit that in a more...hm... subtle way... wink_o.gif

What state is this lake in?'

Google is "the all seeing eye"

Hide your UFO, Bush. tounge_o.gif

hehe ist funny how alot of fort bragg is unavailable unclesam.gif

this is a cool map I have already seen a "battle" ship some V22's, CH53's, Hercules's, Galaxy?, Ch-46's and unidentifiable fighters. Currently looking for an Abrams tank.

STGN

Looks like the have sensured/blurried the Capitol building and 2 building north for it rock.gif

Yeah...

In the southern Las Vegas airport, you can actually regodnize what airline's planes those are!

In some, dunno what field, I've spotted Blackbirds, Lancers, B-52's, F-16's, possibly F-111, CH-53's, Boeings (no AWACSes though), Black Widow or Raptor (due tail), Hornets, F-117...

What field is it? Could it be Edwards AFB?

And where in Nevada is the Area 51?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/04/05/google.maps.ap/index.html

Quote[/b] ]SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Online search engine leader Google Inc. has unveiled a new feature that will enable its users to zoom in on homes and businesses using satellite images, an advance that may raise privacy concerns as well as intensify the competitive pressures on its rivals.

The satellite technology, which Google began offering late Monday at http://maps.google.com/, is part of the package that the Mountain View-based company acquired when it bought digital map maker Keyhole Corp. for an undisclosed amount nearly six months ago.

This marks the first time since the deal closed that Google has offered free access to Keyhole's high-tech maps through its search engine. Users previously had to pay $29.95 to download a version of Keyhole's basic software package.

A more traditional map will continue to be the first choice served up by Google's search engine. Users will have the option of retrieving a satellite picture by clicking on a button.

The satellite maps could unnerve some people, even as the technology impresses others. That's because the Keyhole technology is designed to provide close-up perspective of specific addresses.

Keyhole's previous government ties also have raised anxieties.

Founded in 2001, Keyhole raised some money in 2003 from In-Q-Tel, a venture capital firm backed by the Central Intelligence Agency. Leading up to the Google sale, Keyhole's roughly 10,000 customers included a cross-section of government agencies.

There is little reason for people to be paranoid about the satellite maps because the images generally are six to 12 months old, said John Hanke, Keyhole's general manager. "And it's not like you are going to be able to read a license plate on a car or see what an individual was doing when a particular image was taken," he said.

Google believes most people will like the convenience of generating a satellite image with a few clicks of a computer mouse. The company envisions people using the service as a way to scout a hotel's proximity to the beach for a possible vacation or size up the neighborhood where an apartment is for rent.

Google's free satellite maps initially will be limited to North America, with images covering roughly half the United States, Hanke said.

Although Google is offering the satellite maps on a test basis, the feature will probably force its other online rivals to upgrade their technology, predicted search industry analyst Greg Sterling of the Kelsey Group. "To play in this space, you are going to need some robust mapping capabilities."

Sterling said Google's satellite maps pose the biggest threat to Mapquest, a service owned by Time Warner Corp. that has long operated the most popular Web site for finding directions.

The satellite maps also up the ante for the many challengers chipping away at Google's share of the lucrative Internet search engine market by adding more bells and whistles. For instance, Amazon.com Inc.'s A9 search engine earlier this year introduced a feature that includes an index containing 20 million street-level photographs of building exteriors in 10 major U.S. cities.

the map is about a year old. i managed to lok for some places around me and some construction sites appeared as empty lots.

Edwards AFB is located north of Los Angeles, and the NASA tour includes visits to a few jets on runway.

Area 51 was mentione in previous page. it's near a lake.

Pretty nice, the maps are very VERY nice, the satellite one is nice too, but it's a bit old, like RalphWiggum said. I have a street + Houses near my house that was and is done already, but in the image it shows just a field.  crazy_o.gif  Its nice though, google does it again.  wow_o.gif

I looked a bit more, and wow, this brings back so many memories... smile_o.gif Looked around my last house/location. WOW.

Speaking of Edwards AFB, the vacinity of the Palmdale ( Lockheed/Northrop ) facility has F-117's, a B-2, U-2's, B-1B's, something white, and triangular that I could not identify, and many many others.