Sign in to follow this  
SpecOp9

Star Wars mod

Philcommando, they do. But the acclamator (right) is not even half as long as a star destroyer. (652 meters I believe)

Either way. The star wars universe has a ship (dearnaught) over seventeen miles (!) long, I bet that would be a nice platform to fight on... crazy_o.gif

Philcommando, they do. But the acclamator (right) is not even half as long as a star destroyer. (652 meters I believe)

Either way. The star wars universe has a ship (dearnaught) over seventeen miles (!) long, I bet that would be a nice platform to fight on... crazy_o.gif

Are you sure it is seventeen miles? AFAIK it is only 600 meters rock.gif

info about dreadnaught

lets see if this mod works out..

its the (*counts*) 5th (??) sw mod by now...

all the best guys

lets see if this mod works out..

its the (*counts*) 5th (??) sw mod by now...

all the best guys

yes but our star wars mod will survive it wont die tounge_o.gif (im the PR there) wink_o.gif

Multiple guns on air vehicles

Its been a great 4 years watching the talented community broke most of the game's engine limitations. Nothing is impossible in ofp as long as one keeps an open mind and think out of the box.

Having made multiple gun ships, i realised that making multiple guns onboard aircrafts is possible despite nearly 99% of the community think it is impossible due to the guns not following the plane's movement when it turns or drop height.

Originally i wanted to surprise the community, but unfortunately real life issues had cropped up and i cant develope further the concept. But rather than to let the concept follow me into exile, here's how it can be done, based on my experiments with ships.

1. Most of the time, when we make the multipled gun part, we only make the part as a whole, centralizing it as a gun size and not related to the size of the ship. However, this method is wrong as the engine will recognise the z axis as 0, thus when it is attached to the ship, the gun rotates at 0 axis and does not follow the whole model's turn axis which results in the gun part just rotating at it's own axis.

2. Therefore, the solution for multiple gun is to take into reference of where it's position should be on the ship and make the gun in o2 at its supposed position in relation to the ship.

3. Then in config of the gun, disable 'autocentre' and put autocenter=0. Once you attach the gun to the ship in the ship's eventhandler, it's xyz position will no longer be at 0 but will be in the position of the ship. When it turns, it will follow it's z axis away from 0.

4. So, for 10 guns, you will have to make 10 individual 02 postioned guns, placed in 02 in relation to the ship's model where u want the gun to be. However, in order to not clogged up the objects in editor, just put scope=private and the guns will not show up in editor.

This method will make rear gunners possible by placing the new mg addon off center and in relation to its position to the plane. And for the star wars mod, this method will enable a rear gunner for the snow speeder and the 'helicopter' with twin side gunners as in Attack of the clones. Happy experimenting.

To brataccas and all SW mods:-

May the Force be with you smile_o.gif

Are you sure it is seventeen miles? AFAIK it is only 600 meters rock.gif

info about dreadnaught

nein!

daggermap.gif

see? the biggest thing there is the dreadnaught biggrin_o.gif .

Philcommando, is what you say is true... then you're amazing... rock.gifwow_o.gif

Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught

Executer

Eclipse

Not sure which you thought it's Dreadnaught, but on these pics you see that the Dreadnaught is not even on that picture you posted blues.gif

Philcommando: I agree with gandalf, If that's really true...

Wasn't this an old fleed which had the task to gather information in the boarder worlds of the galaxis?(The Dreadnaught fleed) The crew got crazy(because of a feaver or so) and they jumped to lightspeed and flew through stars and nearly the whole fleed was destoryed and many people(including jedis) were killed? rock.gif

I loved the description in the book, really huge star ships smile_o.gif

ah, and btw, really good looking trailers biggrin_o.gif

Here is a really cool looking Star Destroyer by Killer-Tobias

des1.JPG

As for changing the sky pack, that would'nt work because every single map would then be a space map. Of course unless it's a seperate campaign from the other

Quote[/b] ]I know the star trek spaceships are incapable of landing on land mass but this mod is not star trek,
the USS Voyager landed in Basics part 2 and dont forget the shuttlecraft. tounge_o.gif

Philcommando, can you ever be pleased with what you've contibuted so far? tounge_o.gif jk, awesome idea if it works.

Out of curiosity, what is the function of the star destroyer in the mod? Is the destroyer gonna actually destroy (please!!!) or is it just to look cool?

it might just be a stationary object for now. Maybey add a few Shilka-like turrets so it shoots at you

Quote[/b] ]As for changing the sky pack, that would'nt work because every single map would then be a space map

isn't it a star wars mod , with a mod folder (new sky with planets , moons, stars ,... , and a new water ).

That's a nice destroyer, but i am not sure if you got collision detection working on it. Just a suggestion, please disregard this post if u got it working by your own concept for collision detection.

Fast and easy collision detection for static massive objects

1. Built the star destroyer as any  static object.

2. Create another p3d - just a simple 50m X 50m box, with resolution lod texture set to invisible and the other resolution lods.

3. config the destroyer and 50m box p3d

4. If using Devil's script, use the attach script to attach the 50m boxes all over the 1,160m model, eg:- [destroyer,cargo,[x+1, y+1, z+1,0]] exec soandso script - for all boxes each till it covers the entire ship.

This way, you wont have to painstakingly break up the ship into 50m parts. Hope it helps.

Edit:- If you follow this concept, those quick enough to see it will realise you can built 'defense shields' for your crafts. 50m boxes outside your craft enable and disable via command menu script. You can add 'glow' textures to the invisible boxes and even have spectacular explosions by config the armour of the box!

I've posted this idea in Acacyn's TIE thread, but I guess I'll post it here since nobody's paid it any attention.

Is it possible to extract models and textures from X-Wing Alliance? There's a site named http://www.xwaupgrade.com and they have posted replacements for all of the original models/textures and those things look GREAT. I've been playing through the campaign again, and it's like a new game with all of those player-made upgrades. The upgrades come as .opt files which, I believe are 3Dmax or some sort of modelling prog.

Also, http://www.darksaber.gaylenol.com/ has a lot of new and updated models. I think this guy is responsible for a lot of the stuff on xwaupgrade.com. He's already made a lot of the new episode 1-3 stuff. Look here:

http://www.darksaber.gaylenol.com/craftprequel.htm

If there's any way to export this stuff and import it to OFP, it'd be great. I love XWA, but unfortunately it's unplayable in MP now because it can't negotioate firewalls, and I've been dying for some good MP dogfights.

OFP isn't the best when it comes to dogfighting, but with the DM and CTF and coop I've made with aca's fighters it's been a load of fun. We DO need some more rebel ships, and some ground units.

Quote[/b] ]That's a nice destroyer, but i am not sure if you got collision detection working on it. Just a suggestion, please disregard this post if u got it working by your own concept for collision detection.

lol he said that, go back a page and you'll see tounge_o.gif

4. If using Devil's script, use the attach script to attach the 50m boxes all over the 1,160m model, eg:- [destroyer,cargo,[x+1, y+1, z+1,0]] exec soandso script - for all boxes each till it covers the entire ship.

Not looked at "Devil's script", but wont this muck up when you rotate the model?

It can be solved with trig (Yey), no idea if the script has that, though smile_o.gif

Apart from that, nice idea, same with the mutliple gun positions, if the object maintains the same bank/pitch, could work smile_o.gif

The max size of roadway, does that mean you can't have roadway lod outside of the 50mx50m box? Or could you make a model, instead of having the roadway lod in the center, have it at the same point as the top of the start desroyer (same idea as the multple gun positions tounge_o.gif)

BTW, theres an option in one of the O2 menus, (E or Ctrl+E), that can set the object proerties to "Sky", does this mean you can see it from miles away? smile_o.gif Never played with it.. If so, could be used as a basis for the sky box thing, no?

- Ben

A. 02 limits

-------------

Resolution LODs                          :- no limits (though if >200m u cant see model skeleton in 02)

View geometry                            :- no limits

pilot view                                    :- no limits

fire geolod                                   :- ~50m

Collision detection limits (geolod) :- ~50m

Roadway LOD                              :- ~50m

Pathway LOD                               :- ~50m

Anything out of the limits will just be thin air - thus the workarounds needed by addonmaker to break the limits which players wont even know the difference if properly implanted.

B. Collision Detection

-----------------------

The 50m boxes Quick and easy collision detection method is meant only for STATIC MASSIVE OBJECTS.

For moving objects, refer to my earlier post on multiple guns method as it is slightly more complicated and  not recommended for static massive objects. ( 1,160m object would require about 60 individually placed boxes if multiguns method is used. Better you just break up the ship into 50m parts and geolod it - save the time to duplicate the boxes if moving is required of the ship.)

For static massive objects to move - an alternative is to make the whole object rotate around an axis at a given setpos height or induced height in 02 like my 3d clouds project.

C. ctrl shift + E :-does nothing ( for me at least)

--------------------

D. Devil's script for static objects:-

--------------------------------------

A simple attach script will do actually whereby you can set the xyz axis to the position you want and loop the coords so that it stays there every moment.

Edit:- if you model the star destroyer whole,1160m in 02 and place a roadway lod of less than 50m on the bridge which is 1000m away from the 0xyz grid in 02, the roadway wont work and troops will fall through:-    because 02 is not 3dmax - the centre 0xyz grid in 02 is a reference point for the engine to determine the lods unlike 3dmax where the grid is nothing but a guideline. So anything beyond 25m radius of the centre 0xyz is out of engine controlled lod.

( for the quick thinking, they will realize that multiple guns attachment using my earlier post of offsetting the centre 0xyz will lose its collision detection:- which is not true.

The trick is to put the ground(forgotten the actual name) lod directly beneath the gun position whereever it is in 02 and 'autocenter=0' in the config, and engine lod support is given.

This method is not possible for large ships as the 4 vertices ground lod is spread 1000m apart out of the 25m radius range. This aspect of 02 modelling is pretty advance that only either the truly mad( like me) or the the truly determined will attempt! )

Soooo, is my idea unworkable? Can .opt files not be imported into O2?

02 only accepts 3ds file import. You may have to convert the .opt files with a 3d software to 3ds and import it into 02. One thing though, directly importing an object from another game into ofp and distribute it may have some ethical questions, even though some are doing it. Do tread carefully, sometimes, its easier to make your own model as 02 than to correct an existing import model to fit ofp game.

I'm just looking for a way to give the production of some rebel fighters a kick in the rear. I have a sci-fi pack on my server with Acacyn's TIE's and cell7's X-Wing, but we need some more rebel fighters to even it a tad.

It's still fun dogfighting. Since we don't have AT-AT's or AT-ST's I'm using the Wanzers and Martin's robot mech. It's fun for the whole family!

http://www.geocities.com/v_d_d/ (Xwing Alliance OPT to 3D Studio converter v1.0)

If O2 wont import this, use Anim8or, load the model (Model > Load, change file type), Debug > Dummy KFDATA

Save the model again

It will then import into O2

I tried the fog settings (Shift+E, not Control+E.. opps..), didn't change anything sad_o.gif

- Ben

Hmmm, I think a campaign as a clone between ep. 2 and 3 would be far more simpler. the vehicles are often smaller, it's a simple "move from planet to planet and kill everything not in your uniform" campaign. in wich you play as a clone, clone commander, clone pilot, and drive some vehicles...

what you are doing will have to features "the transition" from episode 3 hardware to episode 4 hardware...  a difficult thing to do...  wink_o.gif

It wont be that difficult... The Grand army of the Republic, (The Clones and Vehicles) were designed for combat against the seperatists (Droids). Now that the Empire has a new enemie, actual living beings, they need to push for new technology, being the death star, AT AT, AT ST, etc.

Yep DBR_ONIX, I found that util.  I have a functioning Millenium Falcon now, added landing gear and some other stuff to it and scaled it for OFP.  It works pretty well, although for some reason it gets batted around like a fly when it gets hit, and that's with a 10000 mass.  I'm not sure if adding more will help, or if that's just OFP physics.

Even importing a model there's a ton of work to be done on cfg and other O2 OFP stuff.

If anyone wants to give the falcon a try, you can download it at:

ftp://addons:corn@208.63.124.254/mfalcon.zip

I might whip up some rebel fighters.  At least this'll do until someone with real skills can create a better one.  I think cell7 was working on the Falcon and his looks really promising.