Sign in to follow this  
Fab.

WWIIEC : Caen 1944

Also I've noticed the Cromwell's been re-textured but it still has the flourescent squadron/troop markings, are these final?

I dont want to sound presumptious but if it's a matter of time I can email you some I've made for myself that look a bit more genuine.

lol no thats nothing like final... the markings are just placeholders, as gogs our team mate has come up with a system to add markins for most of the 21st army (is it 21st or 23rd ? well you'll ask him he's the expert) - the british markings system was surprinsingly messy. so yeah i changed the colour of the tank for now, made some new wheels too and i'll get the tracks replaced in the near future

as for the speed it is very annoying to have these speeding tanks and i was indeed considering to use the cross country speed as max speed rather than the road speed as max speed... i gotta experience with it a little bit first..

thanks for the nice comments

Fab

Absolutely awesome. It's really great how you guys don't just say "here's some WWII stuff, hope the WWII fanboys like it", but you actually put very, very, very hard work into scripting and all that jazz. This mod will be a serious competitor to that PLA mod in terms of scripting and all round stuff. I wish every mod had as much work put into it as this one, coz then there would be no need for heaven. biggrin_o.gif

Wow, they look marvelous smile_o.gif

Only thing i would like to know is when you will show some picutres of Caen.

Anyway, this mod is awesome wink_o.gif

Only thing i would like to know is when you will show some picutres of Caen.

you mean the city ?

its not on the map... well theres a small part of it on the map but its not done yet...

the battle for caen was mainly on the west side of the city between caen / bayeux / villers bocage, not in the city itself... well there were some fighting in the city but thats nothing compared to what was going on in the country side

( and thats why we choosed this series of battle as a focus for our mod among other reasons)

Saying i thought about city and terrain surronding it and mostly i was wondering about buildings (i know, there was some retextured by BB BIS houses and WW2 Farm by Dante but that's all). I wish to see some vilagges and hope we will see them soon wink_o.gif

Those new faces by BB look very nice, well fitting of German soldiers. I hope to see more screens and to read about more information, everything I've heard so far sounds very promising of being one intense mod.

Very nice D@nte! I like how the vegetation crept up one corner of the house, textures look top notch!

Will there be an enterable version?

Battling Bitch posted some screenshots of the new faces he's preparing for the mod :

thumb_bbsamplefaces.jpg

click me because the thumbnails work only half the time around here

thumb_bbsamplefaces2.jpg

and click me too

well once again i wanted to make thumbnails and once again they display the URL + image tag instead of the image itself  banghead.gif

Great job on the faces Fab. One thing though lose the staches. Only high ranking veteran officers would have one. Most pics show troops with 5 oclock shadows from not being able to shave or perhaps on foreign troops in the SS. But unwarranted facial hair at the enlisted rank was extremely rare.

Very nice D@nte! I like how the vegetation crept up one corner of the house, textures look top notch!

Will there be an enterable version?

thx. not for this house, but i work actually on an enterable one wink_o.gif

Great job on the faces Fab. One thing though lose the staches. Only high ranking veteran officers would have one. Most pics show troops with 5 oclock shadows from not being able to shave or perhaps on foreign troops in the SS. But unwarranted facial hair at the enlisted rank was extremely rare.

I actually saw a whole bunch of soldiers from the 12th SS in normandy (from a documentary about caen) showing a whole bunch of soldiers who obviously havent shaved in a quite a while... (like the guy had a good 2cm long beard), but i'll pass the info to BB about the moustache (these last faces arent my work, credit goes to Battling Bitch)

cheers

Fab.

When you saw bearded German soldiers in WW2 who weren't:

1) Combat Engineers (I think that the German Pioneers were permitted to grow beards, like their Commonwealth [At least Canadian] counterparts)

2) Veteran officers,

It was because they had no ability to shave. Given how constantly German troops were on the frontline compared to their Allied counterparts, who were rotated back far more frequently, some shadow would be a good idea.

And maybe some beardless baby-faced boys in the 12th "Hitlerjugend" SS Panzer. Some of them were as young as 15-16.

yeah thats the whole point of the new faces (well apart from moustache guy), we want to make battle worn faces, some of them wouldnt have shaved etc... not clean shaved clean face soldiers... and yeah of course young faces for the hitler youth division... and some of them with blood shot eyes and "black bags" (whatever u call them) under the eyes to show the exhaustion..

if u see foutage taken around caen, particulalry the 12th SS you can tell they've been through quite a lot (just like anyone else there on both sides) and we'd like to reflect that the best we can... but still provide some descent looking people for cutscenes etc..

well dont worry we wont mess this up xmas_o.gif

I actually saw a whole bunch of soldiers from the 12th SS in normandy (from a documentary about caen) showing a whole bunch of soldiers who obviously havent shaved in a quite a while... (like the guy had a good 2cm long beard), but i'll pass the info to BB about the moustache (these last faces arent my work, credit goes to Battling Bitch)

cheers

Fab.

Exactly, give them the full facial hair as if they have been on the line for weeks. The youngster (18+) usually had the hair around the mouth like a goutee. The real youngsters just got dirty rofl.gif Germans were big on hygiene as a soldier (numerous references in the army handbooks, even how to wash your hands).

Quote[/b] ]Germans were big on hygiene as a soldier (numerous references in the army handbooks, even how to wash your hands).

Yeah, I'm seeing the drill now at the Waffen SS Junkerschule:

"Eins, ZWEI! Drei, VIER! Und zis is how ve vash our HANDEN. JA!"

Ah, if only I spoke German.

Quote[/b] ]well dont worry we wont mess this up

I am confident you won't screw anything up. I'd like to see more of the Commonwealth troops though, I am *kinda biased.* If there's anything you need, ask and I'll see what I can get done for you - there's a place in my hometown called The Meuseum Of the Regiments, got plenty of Canadian WW2-especially gear on display there, etc. Might be able to get some pictures, dunno. T-72M1 out front, as well as a bunch of Canadian-service Commonwealth vehicles, and a Sherman or two. I should be able to coerce some of my mates into taking blueprint-esque pictures for you if you need 'em - from memory, what they've got out front is:

- Universal Carrier / BREN Gun Carrier,

- M4A2 / M4A3 Sherman, not sure which,

- Cromwell, pretty sure

- Think they've also got a Churchill out there,

- Few other machines I can't remember.

Damn, it's been too long since I've been there.

sounds interesting, particularly if they have any bedford trucks (QL or OY or whatever), i'll be glad to get some more reference pictures... especially the undercarriage and the back of the trucks... and interior if at all possible

i'll get back into the commonwealth soldiers at some point but first i got some coding to do and vegetation to sort out...

anyway thanks for your input (all of you) its much apreciated.

Cheers

Fab.

No soft-skinned vehicles at all, I'm afraid. I think everything there either has tracks or is just a picture - and taking a picture of a picture wouldn't be very effective in this case, given the nature of those photographs.

The addition to the house looks very nice, I like what you've been doing so far D@nte

Looks great =)

So hows the overall progress at if I may ask?

its going great, all i can say is we can hope for a release before the end of the year if it keeps going that way... unfortunately i'm not nostradamus so thats all i can say for now...